Cold remedies?

BAMF

I have to ask this now while I still can! I'm getting a cold! What do you guys use to soothe your throats and stuffy noses (mostly stuffy noses).

I used to get colds 9 out of 12 months a year, not even an exaggeration. So I've tried tons of things, but they never worked well. Someone save me!

*would rather have the flu*

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No, I haven't. It probably was allergies.

I moved to this new house about 3 yrs ago and since then I haven't gotten NEAR as many colds. So maybe it was something at the old place.

Anyway, I probably should have been checked for allergies as I have suffered so many damn "colds"!

Kori; I don't know what your health care situation is but ask your MD about allergies. If you moved to a newer house there may have been mold in the old one. Also chicken soup is supposed to work.

Kori,

Try Ocean Spray. It is a saline solution that works wonders. Chris had some sinus problems after he was born. Long story short, ended up having reconstructive surgery to clear out a massive infection which the doctors overlooked for almost a year. Many meds, etc., for the sinus problems. But one worked exceptionally well and often surpassed the prescribed meds the docs were giving him and that was the Ocean Spray saline solution. Also you may want to try Sudafed Nasal Decongestant as this also works well. Chris is right about allergies that can be misdxd as being a cold. If this is the case, try Benadryl to see if your smptoms disappear. If they do, then you know you have allergies. If they don't disappear with the Benadryl, then it is probably a cold. But at any rate, a doctor visit may be in order.

200.jpg

sudafed.jpg

Thanks, Ange. Sounds a lot more hardcore than DayQuil/NyQuil, which just make me feel stoned. I am going to be pissed if it's allergies...I went all those years with this.

Yuck to the DayQuil/Nyquil as it has alcohol in both to some degree as well as some other active ingredients that may produce that effect. I am rather picky on what I take. Sudafed is wonderful and doesn't produce that disconnected feeling. There is caffeine in it and may make you a bit hyper as it is the nondrowsy type. But out of all the ones I've tried, this is the one with the fewest of side effects that I've noticed.

Kori,

Try Ocean Spray. It is a saline solution that works wonders. Chris had some sinus problems after he was born. Long story short, ended up having reconstructive surgery to clear out a massive infection which the doctors overlooked for almost a year. Many meds, etc., for the sinus problems. But one worked exceptionally well and often surpassed the prescribed meds the docs were giving him and that was the Ocean Spray saline solution. Also you may want to try Sudafed Nasal Decongestant as this also works well. Chris is right about allergies that can be misdxd as being a cold. If this is the case, try Benadryl to see if your smptoms disappear. If they do, then you know you have allergies. If they don't disappear with the Benadryl, then it is probably a cold. But at any rate, a doctor visit may be in order.

200.jpg

sudafed.jpg

Honey, if you are going to be a spokeswoman for this product you should get paid for it. :turned:

Thanks. I don't think a li'l caffeine is going to make me hyper. I'm already a damn insomniac, so maybe it will just negate that and I'll sleep like an angel.

Edit: LOL, Victor.

Edit II: Do you just squirt that Ocean Spray up your nose? I'm skeered. :lol:

Edited by Kori

Dammit, LMAO, stop picking on me :cry: :blink: LOL Oh, you guys are just killing me tonight and I'm not getting any work done. Yeah, that's right, yeah, you guys are to blame for all this and are the reason I'm not getting crap done tonight. LMAO. Yes, Kori, you jam it up your nose and squeeze a few times. But a tip for you, don't inhale deeply while you're squeezing. Better yet, just follow the directions on the bottle.

Don't die on us. Why the eff are you working at night anyway?

Ah, directions are always a gigantic help; however, they are usually my last resort.

You guys just have me busting up all night tonight but much needed. The whole spokeswoman thing was hilarious because I went back up and read my post and it does so sound like it and just laughing so hard.

Anyway, I work a lot. Probably 95 percent of my work is done at home. So sometimes while playing around here on OL as I have been doing tonight, I will flip between OL and my software for my work. But I've been distracted much today and a bit lastnight as well. When I have Chris, I do not work much when he is up and about, etc. When he goes to sleep at night, this is the time that I am working my ass off. Since I have the benefit of setting my own hours and so forth, I work at times that are going to be the most productive for me and with the least distractions which is usually at night. I do not have Chris this weekend so I've had all day to work which I have been doing. But since the whole bit with the Love In Bloom thread and then the online photo album of me and Victor, etc., and having fun with it, of course you're not going to want to work. You wanna have fun rather than sitting in front of a computer screen working all night. But I am working much now and getting much done. I have a deadline that is due tomorrow but very close to finishing it in the next hour or so which is very good for me. But have another deadline right on the heels of this one and that is due Tuesday so will have to turn that one in tomorrow night.

Ask Victor and he will definitely tell you that I work a lot. I talk to him everyday but I am always working on something or other. Hell, even ask Charles or anyone else that I talk with and they will tell you the same things. But still take breaks when I need them. And obviously tonight and the horsing around was a much needed break for me. So thanks to both of you for all the laughs tonight. I very much needed it and enjoyed it !!!

Ange, that's very cool that you can set your own hours! I am so envious. I can't sleep well at night and I like to be up late, so it'd be very cool to be able to set my own hours like that. I wish that I could go to school at night. Better yet, I wish I didn't have school and could do work at night.

I've had some great laughs tonight as well. :)

Testimonial: "When I take Sudafed, I can do all this shit..." *cut to video clip of person rock climbing, walking a puppy, kissing their lover on a beach...*

Kori, try to build up your immune system. Drink a ton of orange juice, take enchinacea and zinc at the first sign of a cold to try to head it off at the pass. Trimune and Cold-eze are good. Hot liquids help so drink tea and eat chicken soup. I rarely get colds, even living in the coldest place on earth, but if I have to take cold meds, I go for Dayquil or Theraflu. I don't usually take things like Sudafed as they give me major medicine head and make me feel like crap. For the congestion I use Vicks vapor rub. Salsa or spicy foods also get it flowing. Milk creates mucus so avoid it when you can if you have a cold. Stick with OJ, soup and teas. Wash your hands a lot and take the day off. Rest and feel better.

Hugs,

Kat

Vitamin C -- 1,000 mg -- up to 3 times a day with lots of water can help with a cold. It's water soluble, and the excess is flushed through the system. I generally take 1,000 grams once a day to prevent colds, and take it 3 times a day with a cold to hasten its progress. That, and lots of sleep.

If you have sinus congestion with heavy mucus that you don't want getting into your ears, try a product called Mucinex to thin it, and a non-steroidal anti-inflammatory (NSAID) such as aspirin, acetaminophen (Tylenol, for example), ibuprofen (Advil, for example), etc. to reduce swelling in the sinuses and eustachian tubes, and sleep with your head elevated to promote drainage. That will help prevent miserable ear problems.

For sore throat, try zinc lozenges. If you're just starting on a sore throat, they can help prevent it getting worse.

I want a fee! :)

Judith

Just a small correction, nothing major, and an add on I guess caution to the Mucinex. Acetominophen doesn't help reduce swelling. Acetominophen (example Tylenol) will help with pain and fever. Ibuprofen (example Advil or Aleve) will help with pain and swelling. For me personally, I like ibuprofen over acetominophen because onset time is quicker, meaning faster relief. Acetominophen has an onset time of 45 minutes or so if taken tablet form over the counter and ibuprofen has an onset time of about 15 to 20 minutes if taken tablet form over the counter. Mucinex is great but drink plenty of water and don't exceed more than 4 tablets within a 24 hour period, meaning don't take 4 tablets during your waking hours only or however long you're up as it can cause sickness. Make sure it is spaced out over that 24 hour period. For me, mucinex always made me feel dizzy and disconnected if I didn't drink enough water so getting enough water can be crucial. I eventually switched to Robitussin Guaifenesin syrup as it produced the same benefits but didn't produce the dizzy disconnected feeling.

Thanks, y'all! *pays you guys in invisible e-money*

I don't understand why people take acetomenophin/ibuprofen for colds...or for any reason. It has absolutely no effect on me. Nada. But still, I could have my damn arm cut off with it spurting blood and someone would either say, "Did you eat breakfast?" or "Did you take some tylenol?" Psshaw.

*eats lots of fruit and takes Centrum* *attempts to sleep* *can't sleep* *wakes up* *cleans her room*

I don't understand why people take acetomenophin/ibuprofen for colds...or for any reason. It has absolutely no effect on me. Nada. But still, I could have my damn arm cut off with it spurting blood and someone would either say, "Did you eat breakfast?" or "Did you take some tylenol?" Psshaw.

It's funny how different drugs affect different people. Good thing there are so many out there. I recommended the ibuprofen in this case specifically to reduce swelling and get the mucus to drain from swollen sinuses and eustachian tubes; if they're swollen, they won't drain and all that mucus will go into your ears, where you definitely don't want it!

Ibuprofen helps my migraines better than narcotic prescription drugs. Some people say it does nothing for them. The times I've been in the hospital after surgery, morphine has done very little for my pain and has made my skin itch abominably. According to some doctors I've asked, different people have different kinds of pain receptors or something, and you have to find what works for you.

Judith

Sure is funny. Tylenol/Ibuprofen only makes my mouth taste weird.

As for the mucous going into my ears...I don't care if it goes there so long as it gets out of my nose. I just want pressure off of my FACE. Go ahead and mess with my ears...I don't curr.

I've never had surgery yet. Luckily. I'm skeered! My guitar teacher told me a story that a friend of his (a dentist) told him. He said that this fellow came in to get a root canal and he absolutely refused to take any anasthesia. When the dentist told the man's wife about it, she said, "Oh, he's just acting tough." J.P. (my guitar teach) said, "Acting my ass! That guy is tough!"

As for the mucous going into my ears...I don't care if it goes there so long as it gets out of my nose. I just want pressure off of my FACE. Go ahead and mess with my ears...I don't curr.

You don't mind that dreadful pressure in your ears that makes it feel like your eardrums are going to burst? God. That's scary to me. I'd do just about anything to avoid that.

I've never had surgery yet. Luckily. I'm skeered!

I never had major surgery until I was 31 years old. Now I'm an old hand at it. :D

Judith