Intelligent Romantic movies!

Why has no one mentioned Out of Africa? Parts of it I find intensely romantic and I must admit that I have not seen it all the way through.

Isn't that the movie where the heroine remains perfectly groomed, even after struggling through the jungle under primitive and harsh circumstances for days, with a hairdo that must have been done by the hairstylist at most 15 minutes ago?

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Brant; What is the best part of Charade? Dragon; I remember other movies where in adverse conditions the heroine remained perfectly groomed. I also don't remember much jungle in Out of Africa.

Brant; What is the best part of Charade? Dragon; I remember other movies where in adverse conditions the heroine remained perfectly groomed. I also don't remember much jungle in Out of Africa.

We should wait until Victor tells us what he thinks it is because he is the one who is going to be seeing it for the first time.

--Brant

~ Mancini's music was the best part of CHARADE; all the rest was merely really good.

LLAP

J:D

Well, basically I liked the movie in general, but seeing Grant play the pass-the-ball from neck to neck game was a real hoot.

It was the boat trip. Plus the great music.

--Brant

Dragonfly:

~ Finally, you dragged me back into a discussion with you!

~ NO! "...the movie where the heroine remains perfectly groomed, [etc.]..." was NOT Out Of Africa. Streep was (IF you pay close attention, which I thought you'd be the type to!) clearly, in a scene or two, in a discombobulated (or maybe twitterpated) state as her hair certainly showed, especially when Redford told her "Don't move" and she responded akin to "I HAVE to", a clearly obvious (ok; you might need to pause the DVD) dishevelment of...some hairs on her head. Sheesh.

~ You're obviously confusing this with Princess Leia in the 1st Star Wars when all were in the trash bin. Even my wife noticed (and loved) this.

LLAP

Edited by John Dailey

Here's a romantic comedy: The More the Merrier (1943). In fact, I'm watching it now as of this post.

PLOT (from a site): "It's World War II and there is a severe housing shortage everywhere - especially in Washington, D.C. where Connie Milligan rents an apartment. Believing it to be her patriotic duty, Connie offers to sublet half of her apartment, fully expecting a suitable female tenent. What she gets instead is mischievous, middle-aged Benjamin Dingle. Dingle talks her into subletting to him and then promptly sublets half of his half to young, irreverent Joe Carter - creating a situation tailor-made for comedy and romance."

I'll heartily recommend an intelligent romantic comedy/drama that I and about six other people in North America actually saw in the theaters, 'Til There Was You. You can buy the VHS tape for 1 cent and upwards at Amazon.com. It's worth the shipping, folks, and if you don't see the subtle storytelling successes I did, what have you lost? Here is my Amazon review. ~ SR

***** Delightful and subtle, O. Henry twists, vastly underrated

November 21, 2001

Stories intertwine through our lives, around life events, past our passions, and a few stories themselves remind us of this. "'Til There Was You" makes this self-conscious storytelling into a delightful journey.

Two journeys, in fact, because it takes the title literally. Two fascinating people (writer Jeanne Tripplehorn, architect Dylan McDermott) are shown growing up and constantly seeking passion and connection in their lives, but finding no way to hold on to either. When a bit of serendipity comes along, they both are transformed: An historic and almost otherworldly Los Angeles apartment house shows magic and belonging to her, substance and commitment to him. The ironies lie in her defending it in anonymous letters, his falling in love with the letters while designing the building's replacement, the building being owned by his lover, whose book is being ghostwritten by ... but you may get the idea. The writer and the architect are woven together by ties and resonances they cannot imagine, and yet they've never even (formally) met.

It's a rich, intricate, hilarious, and wry screenplay, written by a principal writer of "thirtysomething" and writer/creator of "My So-Called Life." The acting is touching and passionate, especially when one realizes that it's two connecting love stories -- about learning to love and respect yourself, before you can find the serendipities of life. This isn't a conventional romantic comedy or drama. The couple isn't what is important here. The individuals are.

In The Fountainhead, Ayn Rand wrote: "To say 'I love you,' one must know first how to say the 'I.'" These characters don't know, at first, but they're open to life, and they find out, playing with and against friends, neighbors, and lovers. Their journey is what will enthrall you. The ending almost doesn't matter.

Buy this and give it your full attention. You will be rewarded!

~ I don't suppose Aeon Flux would fit in here?

~ Well, there's a diff 'twixt 'intelligent' and 'thought-provoking' I guess; but, once Romantic-

Comedies got segued in, it seemed 'anything goes.'

~ Don't recall being mentioned, but, how does Singing In The Rain sound?

LLAP

P.S: Vic: agree with you about Marty. And, that, like Chris and you, I should have mentioned Ghost (worth re-seeing.) --- Kori: LAWL? Didn't see it; not sure if I want to.

John; I love Singing in the Rain. It is romantic and intelligent. I wish Jean Hagen had a chance to do another role like Lina Lamont. I think for almost everyone in Singing it is their best work.

Chris:

~ Whether I've said it elsewhere (where I've ranted about dif movies) or not, Singing In The Rain with Kelly, O'Connor, Reynolds and Hagen is a hands-down, bona-fide, no-miss, comedy-or-not, 'Romantic' CLASSIC (assuming that one now, in this thread, includes 'musicals', which aren't usually very 'deep' [maybe by definition?])

~ 'Till re-checking IMBD, didn't realize that Moreno (nor remember that Charisse) was also in it; gotta re-check that movie. In several ways, this was MGM's forte-of-the-times, and with this one, they peaked to the clouds of Mt. Olympus that other studios merely looked up at.

LLAP

~ A coincidental situation occurred. Our Down Syndrome Jonnie LOVES going to musical 'events' in our locale. He 1st had a focus only on Pavarotti and (who else?) Barney. Gahh, did I get sick of hearing those tapes! ("I Love You..." alternating each day with "Rigolleto", favorite spots replayed over-and-over.) --- He finally burnt out on them, but still loves going to the stage 'events.' Well, we're trying to 'broaden' his musical interests, and it just so happens SINGING IN THE RAIN (he's definitely a music-'appreciator', but, not all such [thank Syndrome he hasn't found Rap interesting]) is on the calender for our seeing this month. --- Never seen it done 'stage'-wise.

~ Will report back re who outdoes (HA!) Kelly or Reynolds.

LLAP

How about a couple of Michael Caine ones - arguably poles apart.....

Hannah and Her Sisters and Educating Rita.