Intelligent Romantic movies!

It seems like romantics have died out.

Not while I live and breathe. :)

Also, not while I live and breathe.

I think that being here on OL...this is the first time I've actually seen romantic people in a long ass time.

Hot Damn!!

:)

No wonder I feel at home around here.

I often tell people I was born about 125 years too late to fit into my culture. I get so sick of seeing people so cool and sophisticated that they can hardly move.

And then I read letters or books written during the Victorian age, and I think, Yeah, that's the way it's supposed to be.

Check it out some time, people. Read letters from the men at the front in the Civil war some time. Or read novels written 1875 to about 1910. It's a whole different world.

Judith

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Victor:

~ Hmmm...(re THE MATRIX trilogy [note: I said 'trilogy', not 'film'. Did you catch the 3rd story?])...you ask "How [my main point]...when 'everything else' clearly dominates the film?" -- I answered in my argument, especially my last statement: no 'love interest', no real story. I ask *you* what 'dominated' ATLAS SHRUGGED, 'story'-wise? The Dagny-Galt relationship was 'secondary' there, or, the primary hinge-pin? I can only suggest re-checking what I argued...and maybe the trilogy itself, again (with CNA, of course.)

CNA:

~ Sheesh, no, the 'love story' unfolds with each meeting of 'Mr. Anderson' and Trin; it's established 'later on', especially at the end (of the 1st film.) All Neo goes through is for Trin. Doesn't anyone get that? He was a reluctant, even as 'Neo,' saviour-of-all. Even Morpheus could see that.

~ Yeah, PRETTY WOMAN was pretty...good. I loved her friend's line about seeing her as 'Cinder-fuckin-rella!'

Re-catch it with Vic.

LLAP

J:D

It seems like romantics have died out.

Not while I live and breathe. :)

Also, not while I live and breathe.

I think that being here on OL...this is the first time I've actually seen romantic people in a long ass time.

Hot Damn!!

:)

No wonder I feel at home around here.

I often tell people I was born about 125 years too late to fit into my culture. I get so sick of seeing people so cool and sophisticated that they can hardly move.

And then I read letters or books written during the Victorian age, and I think, Yeah, that's the way it's supposed to be.

Check it out some time, people. Read letters from the men at the front in the Civil war some time. Or read novels written 1875 to about 1910. It's a whole different world.

Judith

Judith, I don’t really figure myself a “Victorian man”....so don’t be fooled by my name: Victor. Hee-hee. No, really, I suppose I’m a Renaissance man—with a touch of the better parts from the Victorian age. :)

You know, I don’t really think of myself as a modern man. I'm serious. There is something alien about the modern world to me, a little disjointed and out of sync with my sprit and demeanor. Angie can tell you that nostalgia and "old-fashioned" ways runs in my blood. Yeah, I'm a strange cat...but harmless and very lovable. :turned:

Edited by Victor Pross

Judith, I don’t really figure myself a “Victorian man”....so don’t be fooled by my name: Victor. Hee-hee. No, really, I suppose I’m a Renaissance man—with a touch of the better parts from the Victorian age. :)

You know, I don’t really think of myself as a modern man. I'm serious. There is something alien about the modern world to me, a little disjointed and out of sync with my sprit and demeanor. Angie can tell you that nostalgia and "old-fashioned" ways runs in my blood. Yeah, I'm a strange cat...but harmless and very lovable. :turned:

Hmmm. I guess the two of you will have to gather up love poetry from every single age and read it together to see which fits you best.

But then again, why limit yourself to just one? :devil:

Judith

I must say I saw Four Weddings and a Funeral more than once. One clue that I like a movie. Another movie I enjoyed was Shadowlines about C S Lewis and his wife Joy Davidman. Miss Davidman become ill with a devastating forum of cancer. She had a remission which granted them both some happiness. Lewis was extremely repressed individual but became liberated. Yes I know he was he and she were Christians

I must say I saw Four Weddings and a Funeral more than once. One clue that I like a movie. Another movie I enjoyed was Shadowlines about C S Lewis and his wife Joy Davidman. Miss Davidman become ill with a devastating forum of cancer. She had a remission which granted them both some happiness. Lewis was extremely repressed individual but became liberated. Yes I know he was he and she were Christians

Shadowlands was a good one -- came out in '94. But I wanted to shake the Lewis character. Seriously. I've known too many men like that, who waste the love of a good woman while they either are oblivious to their own feelings or think that she'll wait for him forever.

Judith

Oh, another movie comes to mind: It happened one night—with Clark Gable. This was made in 1934, I believe. You see, Judith! I’m from another age! Angie really hooked up with a romantic nostalgia man. Man, I hope she learns to adapt. :turned:

Edited by Victor Pross

A Grief Observed was a touching book. Even I, an atheist, can recognize the romanticism in C.S. Lewis's love for Joy Davidman; Shadowlines was a moving film.

C.S. Lewis inscribed this on Joy Davidman's tombstone:

Here the whole world (stars, water, air,

And field, and forest, as they were

Reflected in a single mind)

Like cast off clothes was left behind

In ashes, yet with hopes that she,

Re-born from holy poverty,

In lenten lands, hereafter may

Resume them on her Easter Day.

Alas, sometimes I miss my former faith.

Mick

Edited by Michael Russell

I've been thinking ever since this thread was posted about how to answer it, and it's really hard. But most of my favorite movies (which I listed on the "All tiime favorite movies" thread) also have a significant romance sub-plot in them, so I'll list them here too:

"Spartacus"

"Ben-Hur"

"Contact"

"Braveheart"

"Ladyhawke"

I do like grand, heroic themes!

I'll add two more:

"Now, Voyager" -- I know I mentioned this one somewhere. It was way ahead of its time for treating an extramarital affair positively.

Disney's "Beauty and the Beast"

Judith

In my original post, I listed City Lights as an all-time romantic classic. City Lights is one of the "silent films" (the music sound-track is gorgeous) Chaplin made in a time when most others had converted to the “talkies” as they were then called.

The little Tramp character (that Chaplin made famous the world over) falls in love with a blind flower girl. He pretends that he is rich—which turns out to be a difficult task as indicated by a series of hilarious mishaps. The Tramp tries to earn money for her eye operation. By befriending a drunken millionaire, the Tramp finds a cohort, and is also rewarded for his loyalty. The ending, widely applauded as one of cinema's most touching moments—ever--brings the flower girl, her sight restored, face to face with her kind benefactor. If you don’t break a tear at the conclusion of what happens here…you must be dead inside.

Over all, I think City Lights is the most humanistic, funny and visually engaging films by Charles Chaplin. So much warmth and compassion is to be found in City Lights. This is a romantic comedy well deserving the title “masterpiece”.

http://www.hotmoviesale.com/store/productV...1&ProdID=39

Edited by Victor Pross

May I add an intelligent anti-romantic, romantic movie? Lost In Translation by Sofia Coppola is a brilliant movie; although the two protagonists never consummate their relationship, Lost In Translation is both erotic and sublime.

Mick

Mick...you may. Hey, you already did! :turned:

Yeah, that was a pretty cool movie. Kind of strange, but it offered something different. Have you seen Punch-Drunk Love? If so, you like?

May I add an intelligent anti-romantic, romantic movie? Lost In Translation by Sofia Coppola is a brilliant movie; although the two protagonists never consummate their relationship, Lost In Translation is both erotic and sublime.

Mick

Yeah, that was a pretty cool movie. Kind of strange, but it offered something different. Have you seen Punch-Drunk Love? If so, you like?

No, I haven't seen Punch-Drunk Love, but I loved Boogie Nights; Boogie Nights is perhaps my all-time favorite family film!

You've sold me on City Lights. Is it available on Netflix? If so, I'll add it to the top of my queue.

Mick

No, I haven't seen Punch-Drunk Love, but I loved Boogie Nights; Boogie Nights is perhaps my all-time favorite family film!

You've sold me on City Lights. Is it available on Netflix? If so, I'll add it to the top of my queue.

Boogie Nights...wicked movie.

I don't know if City Lights is available there, but you can get it at any store where DVDs are sold. Or you can rent it first...to see if you really love it as I do. I plan on seeing this movie--now about 50 times--with Angie. Of all the movies I'll see with her, I look most forward to this experience.

Wowie zowie, I think I must. :devil: :lol:

My favorite Sandler movies are Happy Gilmore and Billy Madison. They bring back so many memories (I used to watch them all the time when I was little). Who could forget nudie magazine day or..."Conditioner is bettah! It leaves the hair silky and smoove!"

Or:

"I eat pieces of shit like you for breakfast."

"You eat pieces of shit for breakfast?"

"...NO!"

LMFAO

*has a nice warm glass of shut the hell up*

Kori, In email, Angie just called me a cheese ball because I enjoyed Wedding Singer! How do you like that? My girlfriend is calling me a cheese ball! (Well, I am…but I didn’t think this movie would give me away). Hey wait a minute...this is a funny movie!! Come on, cut me some slack here!

Kori, In email, Angie just called me a cheese ball because I enjoyed Wedding Singer! How do you like that? My girlfriend is calling me a cheese ball! (Well, I am…but I didn’t think this movie would give me away). Hey wait a minute...this is a funny movie!! Come on, cut me some slack here!

ROFLMAO...Oh, my God, hey, it's a funny movie and I also liked it but it is total cheeseball. Oh, my god, that whole time era of the 80s and how things were then, the big funky hair styles, mullets, men wearing tight white pants and their shirt collars flipped up and girls trying to be the valley girl types...OY. It brought back my own cheesiness....Damn, I should post one of my photos from that time period. Hey, I was a teenager then. I am sure everybody would be laughing their asses off though. Ah, I need a good laugh right now LOL It's totally cheesy. :devil: :lol:

Edit: 50 First Dates is a cute funny romantic movie.

Edited by CNA

ROFLMAO...Oh, my God, hey, it's a funny movie and I also liked it but it is total cheeseball. Oh, my god, that whole time era of the 80s and how things were then, the big funky hair styles, mullets, men wearing tight white pants and their shirt collars flipped up and girls trying to be the valley girl types...OY. It brought back my own cheesiness....Damn, I should post one of my photos from that time period. Hey, I was a teenager then. I am sure everybody would be laughing their asses off though. Ah, I need a good laugh right now LOL It's totally cheesy. :devil: :lol:

Edit: 50 First Dates is a cute funny romantic movie.

Honey, post a picture. Do it! Do it now!

Damn Ange, you should. It would be my laugh of the century. I just don't know how to react to all that 80s stuff...good thing I was born just in time to get out of that decade...'89.

And Victor...you may be a bit of a cheeseball (maaaaaybe), but at least you're not a douchebag.

P.S. Ange, I actually never saw 50 First Dates (how awful of me to judge Sandler w/o seeing all his movies! for shame!) I do recall a commercial for it where Drew Berrymore forgets who he is and starts hitting him with a bat (a bat?) LOL

Edited by Kori

Damn Ange, you should. It would be my laugh of the century. I just don't know how to react to all that 80s stuff...good thing I was born just in time to get out of that decade...'89.

And Victor...you may be a bit of a cheeseball (maaaaaybe), but at least you're not a douchebag.

P.S. Ange, I actually never saw 50 First Dates (how awful of me to judge Sandler w/o seeing all his movies! for shame!) I do recall a commercial for it where Drew Berrymore forgets who he is and starts hitting him with a bat (a bat?) LOL

Damn, I had to live in that fucking decade...so many firsts for me. Got my first bike...first serious relationship...first real job...

...anyway

Honey, we're waiting for the pix. Do it! Do it! :devil:

I'm glad the 80s were good for SOMETHING. lol. Berlin Wall too. How fun would it be to tear that shit down?

When I think about the 80s it reminds me of being at work the other day. We were eating cake for somebody's 70th birthday (mind y'all, I'm the youngest at my job, at 17). Anyway, they were all saying how the birthdays with a zero on the end of 'em are the toughest. I'm thinking, "Yeah, 10 was a really rough one for me." LOL...what does it matter whether you're 10 or 70 so long as you feel young?

No hijacking...no HIJACKING! :devil: