Kat

Edit Avatar Settings

An avatar is a little image that appears under your username when you view a topic or post you authored. If the administrator allows, you may either choose from the board gallery, enter a URL to an avatar stored on your server or upload an avatar to use. You may also set the width of the avatar to ensure that it's sized in proportion.

Change Personal Photo

This section will allow you to add a photograph to your profile. This will be displayed when a user clicks to view your profile, on the mini-profile screen and will also be linked to from the member list.

Just to clarify a bit more... the avatar is the picture that appears on your posts and the personal photo is a picture that is only visible in your profile.

If you need help getting that avatar working or need a little Photoshop magic to crop and scale it to fit within the sizing parameters, please contact me. I am always happy to help.

Kat

• 2 years later...

OK, well then there is a "feature" with avatars.

I wanted to change the avatar I've been using so I selected the new file with the "browse" button, hit "save changes", it would not load the new avatar, just kept the old one.

OK, click "remove avatar" and THEN "browse" to upload the new one, NOPE it just somehow RE-loads the old one.

OK, remove the old avatar, save changes, log out, close the browser, open new browser, log back in, "browse" to load the new avatar, NOPE! it re-loads the old one.

In fact, I made a teeny, tiny copy of my new new avatar just to see what would happen, and when I tried to load that file it RE-sized my old avatar to the size of the new one, but kept the old image!

I can change to a smiley face avatar no problem.

I can change to my Gravatar no problem.

I finally uploaded my new avatar to photobucket and it the loaded the new avatar in replace of the old one first try.

There is no issue with the file size or dimensions, it is well within the file size and pixel dimensions.

So I've got my new avatar working, but there are definitely issues with changing the avatar with the "browse" button.

Bob

Bob,

I'll look into this. There might be a CHMOD permissions thing on the server-side image directory (or .htaccess instruction) due to hacker attacks. For a while, I do know that spam bots were using the smiley and avatar image directories in some fashion to game the captcha feature on signup.

This sounds like geek-speak, I know. I'm still new at it. Later I will have simpler language (especially for my long-overdue Internet marketing course).

In simpler terms, once I check this stuff out and see what you have done, if all else fails, I will write a support ticket to the forum software provider. There's no reason your image should not be housed on the OL server.

Michael

Bob,

I'll look into this. There might be a CHMOD permissions thing on the server-side image directory (or .htaccess instruction) due to hacker attacks. For a while, I do know that spam bots were using the smiley and avatar image directories in some fashion to game the captcha feature on signup.

This sounds like geek-speak, I know. I'm still new at it. Later I will have simpler language (especially for my long-overdue Internet marketing course).

In simpler terms, once I check this stuff out and see what you have done, if all else fails, I will write a support ticket to the forum software provider. There's no reason your image should not be housed on the OL server.

Michael

For something that's supposed to operate on pure logic, computers sure do seem to behave irrationally quite often, eh? :rolleyes:

Thanks.

Bob

• 6 years later...

KD,

Click on where the photo is supposed to be. That should take you to your profile page.

Click on where the photo is supposed to be once more. That should open a screen where you can upload a picture.

Software updates change these things over time. I had to look myself this time to find it.

Let me know if that solves your problem.

Michael

KD,

Click on where the photo is supposed to be. That should take you to your profile page.

Click on where the photo is supposed to be once more. That should open a screen where you can upload a picture.

Software updates change these things over time. I had to look myself this time to find it.

Let me know if that solves your problem.

Michael

Yea I tried that, and also going to my profile, clicking Edit Profile, then trying to upload from there (change picture). When I get to the window and upload, the image won't display after the window indicates it was uploaded (it doesn't show up in the crop section or right next to the upload radio button). I'm not sure why, I'm using IE 11 without any pop up blockers or add ins, and have tried different sized images but it doesn't work. Is there an image file size or pixel size max/min I need to worry about?

Thanks for the help

KD,

Is it a jpg or png? I'm not sure about the restrictions on image type, but those are the two most common.

If it gets too difficult, send me the photo as an attachment at:

mikellyusabr@yahoo.com

and I will see what I can do with it.

Michael

Tried again on a different PC, but no change. I sent an e-mail with the attachment, thanks for taking a look