How to protect innocents in Iraq...

galtgulch

I may be mistaken but I think that the vast majority of ordinary people in Iraq are not among the "insurgents" and suicide bombers. They are the ones who came out at great risk to vote in the elections and i suspect they represent a substantial majority of the people unfortunate enough to have to live their lives there.

I dread what will become of them if and when the US military ever does leave the country.

I expect that there will be a continuation of tribal warfare with bloodshed and possible genocide of those who are of the "wrong" religious persuasion. There are even battles within the same religious groups by rival gangs.

I would hope that there might be one more nationwide election and that everyone who shows up to vote is offered a weapon and ammunition to defend his or her self and family. It appears that the Iraq army is unable to subdue the gangs of thugs. Perhaps those who want to live in peace would be able to succeed where the army is failing. At least those who favor democracy and have a live and let live attitude rather than power lust might be able to defend themselves.

Naturally the distribution of weapons would not be known in advance and only given to those who vote. I am being romantic and idealistic which I realize is impractical and not pragmatic.

it is what I would want to happen if I were living there.

galt