Eugene Delacroix's Liberty Leading the People

James Heaps-Nelson

I guess I still haven't figured out how to put images into a post, but the following is one of my favorite paintings. If you click on the link, you can see it :-).

Delacroix_Liberty.jpg

James, I put the image into our photobucket account so now it appears correctly. The image tag only works with images that end with an graphics extension like jpg, gif, etc. rather than html. You will find the image url when you right click on the image and look at the properties. Copy that path, paste it in your post, then select that path in your post and click the IMG button to link and display the image in your post. Thanks to Michael and Dragonfly for stepping up to the plate for tech support while I was at work and unable to fix the image display problem. I have deleted the posts as they diverted attention from the painting, which deserves all the glory.

Anyway, that's enough tech support. About that painting......

It is simply one of the most powerful and moving works of art ever made. The symbolism and the realism work wonderfully in the composition to create a wonderful example of romantic realism. I love it. I wonder if it did inspire Victor Hugo's Les Miserables. Is it on loan from the Louvre?

(Oh, and now we know where Janet Jackson got the idea for the wardrobe malfunction. 8-[ )

Kat

Kat,

Unfortunately, I've only seen this picture in print and I have not been to France to see the Louvre, although sometime soon I'd like to take a trip to Contintental Europe. I first saw a print of this painting in my 3rd year French class in high school. It was one of those paintings where I iimmediately said: Yes, that's me!

Jim

Jim