Bed by Sandro Porcu

Michael Stuart Kelly

Gallery exhibits artwork that'll tickle anyone's fancy

Daily Mail

January 18, 2007

The bed below is part of an art exposition. The name of the work is Bed by Sandro Porcu.

SandroPorcuG_468x288-ticklingbed.jpg

From the article:

German artist Sandro Porcu, 40, has installed the tickling bed, complete with revolving ostrich feathers, for members of the public to try out.

Is this a "selective recreation of reality according to an artist's metaphysical value judgments" for the sense of touch?

Michael

Gallery exhibits artwork that'll tickle anyone's fancy
German artist Sandro Porcu, 40, has installed the tickling bed, complete with revolving ostrich feathers, for members of the public to try out.

Is this a "selective recreation of reality according to an artist's metaphysical value judgments" for the sense of touch?

Michael

Yes, I saw that, but I didn't think about it much until I saw it here. Now it reminds me of a documentry I saw on TV about a family from NJ that traveled to Kenya. It was very interesting that after a few days the kids were crying about the terrible conditions. The Kenya's were comforting them with a lot of touching and walks in the desert hand in hand. It made me think about the lack of touching in our society, but it also reinforces my thoughts about the importance of emotions. Thank you for posting that.

In answer to the question nobody asked, "Is it art?"

Although it is a very cool piece, I would say no, its not really art because it is mechanical and serves a primary function other than being art (a visual piece as a means of expression or object primarily used for contemplation). Although it is a very cool and funky piece of mechanical furniture, it is no more a piece of artwork than my chiropractor's traction table with the rollers inside. Things like furniture/interior design, mechanical devices, prototype cars, clothing, etc. can certainly be creative and artistic, but I see them more as examples of design, separate from works of art. I look at functional pieces a bit differently than I look at art and I see the creator of a piece such as this as more of an inventor than an artist.

Kat