100 Movies You Should See!

Victor,

Yes, I know those things are irrelevant. LOL. Maybe that post makes me sound like a mo-tard. I do need to rewatch it, definitely. I remember Steve Buscemi was with that young girl. I do somewhat remember those themes of loneliness, alienation, etc, but of course, I obviously don't remember the movie. Will def. watch it again. I'll probably relate to it much, unfortunately.

Now, now, I don’t want to send you on some depressed-fest. Ghost World delivers the goods: I found the movie to be sweet, funny--and intelligent. How often do you find that in a single movie? It's fine film making.

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh, LOL. I'm not depressed, I'm just happily challenged. j/k

Will def. rewatch it though, I have been watching (renting) so many movies lately so I will pick that one up next time (along with Amadeus). Also plan to re-rent Schindler's List and Les Miserables. Any hilarious movies to recommend?

Also, I need to add another recommendation...The Descent. That movie is ridiculously scary. I actually screamed in the theater. I also spilled some of my popcorn, but that was during the previews...*embarrassment* :lol:

Oh, LOL. I'm not depressed, I'm just happily challenged. j/k

Will def. rewatch it though, I have been watching (renting) so many movies lately so I will pick that one up next time (along with Amadeus). Also plan to re-rent Schindler's List and Les Miserables. Any hilarious movies to recommend?

Also, I need to add another recommendation...The Descent. That movie is ridiculously scary. I actually screamed in the theater. I also spilled some of my popcorn, but that was during the previews...*embarrassment* :lol:

Yes, my dear, I do have some funny and hilarious movies to recommend:

If you want sick funny stuff, then rent “Pinball” with Woody Haralson.

If you want tear-jerker funny, then rent “City Lights” with the great Charles Chaplin.

If your want a funny that is in its own category—that defies category, then rent “The Party” with Peter Sellers.

Since you are a Sara Silverman fan, I suggest you rent a bio-flick called LENNY, which stars Dustin Hoffman who plays the late great comic Lenny Bruce. This is where it all started; there would have been no Sara Silverman if it wasn't for Lenny Bruce.

Do it!

Thanks, Victor! Will check those out. I need to laugh! I always find it kind of odd when people don't like comedies. Maybe they just haven't found something to laugh at...

Need to rent Lenny SOON, and check out some of his material...sadly, I've never heard him, but he MUST be good if he influenced Sarah Silverman!

If you want really SICK humor, then I suggest YOU watch Freddy Got Fingered... :devil:

Do it!

Jeez, Victor, you are a backward spinning record. :devil:

Edited by Kori

~ I'd say that I can't believe that I didn't include in my original RoR list To Kill A Mockingbird, Blade Runner, Lenny ( all great films) or even a reference to Cary Grant, but...I did have to stop; 'twas only supposed to be '5' there, so...

~ Hadn't seen the others mentioned, so no commenting there, except that I am definitely waiting for Descent on DVD (to watch late-at-night, hmmrrawaha-ha-ha!)

~ So-o, pilgrim, as one who says what ah mean and mean what ah say...if ya need any more help on this here film stuff, ah'll be glad ta oblige ya. Don't let varmints steer ya wrong on it. - (Thought I'd give it a try.)

LLAP

J:D

Victor; Mildred Pierce was on this morning. I may have been a little harsh. I still like Now Voyager more. Mildred is a successful and hardworking woman who seems to have an awful taste in men. You always wonder what happened after the credits. I suspect Vida spent 10 years in the Women's Prison for manslaughter. Mildred provided the lawyer. Does anyone have any other guesses?

Victor; Mildred Pierce was on this morning. I may have been a little harsh. I still like Now Voyager more. Mildred is a successful and hardworking woman who seems to have an awful taste in men. You always wonder what happened after the credits. I suspect Vida spent 10 years in the Women's Prison for manslaughter. Mildred provided the lawyer. Does anyone have any other guesses?

Chris,

I never thought about what happened after the credits. But of course you were too harsh on this movie. After all, Carol Burnett saw fit to do a parody of it on her show. :cool:

-Victor

• 2 weeks later...

~ Descent was a bummer!

~ Interesting 1st 'act'; really interesting 2nd 'act'; but, oh-h-h, the bane of story-writers: that 3rd 'act'. The movie needed a different one, fer sure, fer sure.

~ Nothing to be appreciated or thought about in this movie. Snakes On A Plane was less pretentious in it's ostensible 'symbolic profoundness'...and...more 'meaningful' in worthwhile concerns. Yet THIS one got mucho review-praise, ostensibly mostly for its (granted, well done) cinematography-use re claustrophic feelings in caves, but, methinks covertly really for its totality of 'adventurers' being ALL female, a-n-d it's nihilistic Deliverance-squared (primality of 'surviving' in alien-threat situations at the cost of any/every one) over-stressed ending.

LLAP

P.S. Probably should've put the above in some other thread; not germane in this one. Sorry.

Edited by John Dailey

• 2 weeks later...

Kudos for putting A Clockwork Orange on the list. Great movie, I like how it actually stays rather true to the book. :heart:

One you forgot to mention, though. What about V for Vendetta? That movie is must-see for anyone old enough to study politics. Not to mention that the V monologue in the beginning is amazing to watch; I don't think I had any idea that that many cool words staring with V were in the dictionary! :laugh:

Kudos for putting A Clockwork Orange on the list. Great movie, I like how it actually stays rather true to the book. :heart:

One you forgot to mention, though. What about V for Vendetta? That movie is must-see for anyone old enough to study politics. Not to mention that the V monologue in the beginning is amazing to watch; I don't think I had any idea that that many cool words staring with V were in the dictionary! :laugh:

"V" is for victory--victory for the victor! :cool:

In no particular order, a top 10...

1. Peter Jackson's "The Lord of the Rings" trilogy

2. The Spirit of the Beehive

3. The Devil's Backbone

4. The Emperor and the Assassin

5. The Whale Rider

6. The Red Violin

7. Mulholland Drive

8. Le Jette

9. Serenity

10. Raising Arizona

RCR

Edited by R. Christian Ross

~ Jeez...I don't see Cellular or Shakespeare In Love anwhere listed. Talk about 'plot-driven'!

LLAP

P.S. Ya know, we all really oughtta comprise all these into one list somewhere and delete a-l-l the redundant threads. How about a total comprehensive list for 'polling' on all (in terms of 'ranking') and just 'pile' the multi-thread-separated movie comments into that one thread?

Edited by John Dailey

Jeff; A science fiction writer when someone complained that most science fiction was crap replied that 90% of everything was crap. I think that with most movies a lot of money and time has been spent. You expect better. I have not seen Gigli but when I saw the trailer my reaction was this is an awful movie. The trailer is supposed to make you want to see the movie. If after watching your reaction is the direct opposite something is wrong. You would have thought that somebody would gotten something right with that movie. There are books you can get that give quick reviews so you can decide if you want to waste your time.

John, I'm not sure how I would begin to sort through all these movies and organize them, but I have added a custom field in user profiles where members can list their favorite music, artworks, movies, shows, etc.

Tell us what you love.

Kat

In the Company of Men

Here is a film about evil. It revolves around the contaminated hearts of two white-collar executives. Chad (Aaron Eckhart), an angry young man, and Howard (Matt Malloy), his mild-mannered friend, are working on a six-week project at a branch office in another city. Since both of them have been rejected by women, Chad convinces his buddy to join him in a vicious scheme whereby they will date and then dump an unsuspecting woman.*(1.1) They just want to see what it’s like to see a woman hurt. He chooses Christine (Stacy Edwards), a lonely typist who is hearing impaired. The idea is to inflict on her the pain they have felt. The misogyny of Chad and Howard becomes a brutal weapon.

Written and directed by Neil Labate, this searing film reveals the dark side of the human heart.*(1.2) It is a testimony to LaBute's talent as a storyteller that he allows us to see the damaged humanity beneath the despicable things his characters do. Matt Malloy's Howard, who seems to be the kinder of the two, simply has a more benign pathology. A desperately insecure man recently dumped by his fiancee, Howard longs for the ability to exert power over others yet has no idea how to use it. He has no desire to hurt the woman. He merely wants someone so pathetic and so low-status that she would never leave him.

Then there is Chad, a startling creation rendered with creepy nonchalance and savage humor by Aaron Eckhart. It would be easy to read Chad as a simple sociopath. Bubbling beneath his brutality is a profound fear and paranoia, making Chad so convinced that everyone is ready to screw him over that it only makes sense for him to screw everyone else over first. His every action is a pre-emptive first strike of rage -- at women, at his co-workers, at the world. **(2.1)

There’s no doubt that this movie would fall into the category of “naturalism”—but it is done very well. Watching IN THE COMPANY OF MEN is like watching a car wreck between ethics and primal urges, one from which it's almost impossible to look away.**(2.2)

Try it. I dare you. :cool:

NOTE FROM ADMINISTRATOR:

* Plagiarized from Film Review of In the Company of Men by Frederic and Mary Ann Brussat. The original passages read as follows:

(1.1)

Here is the scariest horror film of 1997. It revolves around the polluted hearts of two white-collar executives. Chad (Aaron Eckhart), an angry young man, and Howard (Matt Malloy), his mild-mannered friend, are working on a six-week project at a branch office in another city. Since both of them have been rejected by women, Chad convinces his buddy to join him in a vicious scheme whereby they will date and then dump an unsuspecting woman.

(1.2)

He chooses Christine (Stacy Edwards), a lonely typist who is hearing impaired. The idea is to inflict on her the pain they have felt. The misogyny of Chad and Howard becomes a brutal weapon.

Written and directed by Neil Labate, this searing film reveals the dark side of corporate culture where gamesmanship, deceit, power trips, and ruthless competition turn individuals into soulless zombies.

** Plagiarized from Review of In the Company of Men (1997) by Scott Renshaw on IMDb's archive for the rec.arts.movies.reviews newsgroup. Also archived here. The original passages read as follows:

(2.1)

It is a testimony to LaBute's talent as a storyteller that he allows us to see the damaged humanity beneath the despicable things his characters do. Matt Malloy's Howard, who seems to be the kinder of the two, simply has a more benign pathology. A desperately insecure man recently dumped by his fiancee, Howard longs for the ability to exert power over others yet has no idea how to use it. Though he has no desire to hurt Christine, his interest in her is purely selfish. He merely wants someone so pathetic and so low-status that she would never leave him.

Then there is Chad, a startling creation rendered with creepy nonchalance and savage humor by Aaron Eckhart. It would be easy to read Chad as a simple sociopath; it would also be the least interesting reading. Bubbling beneath his brutality is a profound fear and paranoia, making Chad so convinced that everyone is ready to screw him over that it only makes sense for him to screw everyone else over first. His every action is a pre-emptive first strike of rage -- at women, at his co-workers, at the world...

(2.2)

Watching IN THE COMPANY OF MEN is like watching a car wreck between ethics and primal urges, one from which it's almost impossible to look away.

OL extends its deepest apologies to Frederic and Mary Ann Brussat, and Scott Renshaw.

Edited by Michael Stuart Kelly

Kat:

~ Other than one's I've already listed/commented on (in RoR especially) as well as here, I'm just not up to...well...repeating (as I think I made quite clear...elsewhere) stuff...except for newbies (real ones, that is), maybe.

~ However, I quite understand the probs (generically, if not specifically) re my suggestion of 'piling' all redundancies 'elsewhere'. STILL, a special 'movie-thread' oriented at a 'poll' (allowing for random additions, of course) may still not be really 'out of the question', complexity-wise (but, as the stupid movie asks: "What the Bleep do I know?") I mean, 'new' movies commented can be a-l-l 'added' THERE. --- It just struck me, especially re 'movies', that there are an awful lot of...redundancies...going on, and, well...Seems a waste of Gigas for 'piles' to not be 'organized.' Yet, I quite understand the prob of 'RE'-organizing piles. Oh, well...Hope you caught Shakespeare In Love (if not the original Night Of The Living Dead).

LLAP

Edited by John Dailey

• 5 weeks later...

This afternoon The Wind & the Lion was on TCM. If you have not seen you should. It is loosely based on real incident in Morocco at the beginning of the last century. The movie stars Candice Bergen, Sean Connery. The movie was directed by John Milieus. Candice Bergen plays an American woman kidnapped by Sean Connery. President Theodore Roosevelt played Brian Keith assisted by then Secretary of State John Hay played by John Huston. It a wonderful movie because everybody's heroic. If you have any friends who think the biggest problem is the United States have them watch they'll probably have some sort of attack. It is one of Connery's, Bergen's and Keith's best roles. Watch for it. It's great fun. The history is not accurate. The Candice Berger character was really a fat male.

• 4 weeks later...

~ '300'--- Whatever its 'flaws', go see it.

~ Why? To 'support' H'wood (yeah, I know: bit of a quandry there...) in making more of such, b-e-c-a-u-s-e:

~ Official Iranian-leader spokesthings advertised a hatred of it as insulting 'their' (HA!) geographical (ergo, supposedly 'ethnic') heritage, and consider the movie as denigrating (like, present Iranians, leaders or whoever, are 'connected' to the Persians-of-then!) their ancestors, ergo them. --- Might they be playing a 'race'-card?

~ Remember The Spartans!

LLAP

Edited by John Dailey

I have a number of all time favourites which have been seen so many times - but they're always worth it.

Reasons (and themes) are widely disparate...but quality acting, breathtaking visions, or a variety of modes of laughter has got to be in there somewhere!

Dont Look Now

All the President's Men

Philadelphia

The Untouchables

The Pianist

American Werewolf in London

The Fugitive

Blazing Saddles

The Rear Window

Some Like it Hot

Spaceballs

Dirty Harry