100 Movies You Should See!

100 Movies You Should See Before You Die!

Ladies and gents, here is a list of 100 movies that you should see before you die. It just so happens that I am a movie buff [Well, okay, I'm a fanatic.] This list is entirely subjective and there is no particular logic or order to it—and it encompasses almost every genre from romantic comedies to drama to westerns. It also spans from the 1920s to modern times. If you are a movie buff and have not seen any given title that captures your interest---drop by your Block Buster tonight. If you are simply looking for a good recommendation for a good flick, use this list as your holy reference. The list here is comprised of films that I personally thought were brilliant or merely entertaining. Google a title you like and get a fuller picture of the movie.

The list is largely comprised of plot driven stories, but sometimes I have been taken by a film because of its direction, cinematography or acting. It's all here! Well, actually, this list is hardly exhaustive--but feel free to include other films that one should see before we all die!

Finally, keep this in mind: If God existed, he would have personally approved of this list. If you don’t like a film that I have suggested, the problem is with you...and not my sanctified writ. :nuke:

[1] Amadeus

[2] Shaw shank Redemption

[3] Dead Poet's Society

[4] The Joy Luck Club

[5] Heat

[6] Unforgiven

[7] The Color Purple

[8] Rob Roy

[9] Taxi Driver

[10] Jaws

[11] City Lights

[12] The Gold Rush

[13] Gentlemen’s agreement

[14] Rope

[15] Open Water

[16] The God Father

[17] Network

[18] Clock Work Orange

[19] The Truman show

[20] Sea Biscuit

[21] Apollo 13

[22] The Miracle Worker

[23] Rocky 1 [There were no others].

[24] Field of Dreams

[25] Dangerous Beauty

[26] Lawrence of Arabia

[27] The Winslow Boy (original is best)

[28] Queen Christina

[29] Shane

[30] The Big Country

[31] Alive!

[32] 12 angry men

[33] Inherit The Wind

[34] Casablanca

[35] The Bide of Frankenstein

[36] From Here to Eternity

[37] I Confess

[38] Casablanca

[39] Red River

[40] Young Frankenstein

[41] 2001- a Space Odyssey

[42] The Graduate

[43] Blazing Saddles

[44] Rain Man

[45] Being John Malkovich

[46] American Beauty

[47] Some like it hot

[48] Cast away

[49]Annie Hall

[50] PSYCHO

[51] Closer

[52] The Exorcist

[53] M

[54] The Hunch Back of Notre Dame [The 1939 version].

[55] Marty

[56] My favorite Wife

[57] Bringing up Baby

[58] Sideways

[59] The Thing

[60] Batman Begins

[61] The Agony and the Ecstasy

[62] Judgment at Nuremberg

[63] The Princess Bride

[64] A Night at the Opera

[65] Girl with a Pearl Earring

[66] Lust for Life

[67] Monty Python's Life of Brian

[68] Braveheart

[69] Singing in the rain

[70] The awful truth

[71] Bonnie and Clyde

[72] Goodfellas

[73] A hard day’s night

[74] Raging bull

[75] Schindler’s list

[76] Sweet smell of success

[77] Whatever happened to baby Jane?

[78] China Town

[79] The 400 Blows

[80] Ninotchka

[81] The purple Rose of Cairo

[82] Something about Mary

[83] The circus

[84] Ben-Hur

[85] The Broadway Melody

[86] Freaks)

[87] Fury

[88] Gentlemen Prefer Blondes

[89] Pillow Talk

[90] The Jazz Singer

[91] Apocalypse Now

[92] Duck Soup

[93] Mr. Smith goes to Washington

[94] Road to Morocco

[95] The Yearling

[96] The seven Year itch

[97] The apartment

[98] King Kong

[99] Roman holiday

[100] Mildred Pierce

B)

Edited by Victor Pross

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Finally, keep this in mind: If God existed, he would have personally approved of this list. If you don’t like a film that I have suggested, the problem is with you...and not my sanctified writ. :nuke:

LMFAO! If God would've loved it, how could it be bad?

I personally am not much into movies. I do LOVE to go to the theater, but I find it hard to sit still long enough to watch any. There are a lot of classics I have not seen. I'll just comment on a couple of movies on your list.

I've been meaning to see Amadeus. I love Mozart, so I think it'll be interesting.

Seen some of Clockwork Orange (and read the whole book, which I thought was better). I am not sure what to make of that movie. I'll have to give it another go.

Want to see Batman Begins. I love Batman...he is THE best superhero.

Loved Something About Mary. "Have you seen my weener?" Also LOVED Schindler's List. I watched it in my history class and would like to purchase it.

Never liked Jaws, the movie or the book. I don't know what it is. I thought that, as scared of the ocean I am, I'd at least be afraid. Didn't do it for me.

Absolutely HATE The Exorcist. I saw it when I was little and the main thing that sticks out in my mind is the girl stabbing her vagina with a cross. That just freaks me out. (I do, however, really love the spider walk scene).

Didn't care too much for Rain Man either. I think many parts of it were very touching, but I felt that the movie ended kind of abruptly. I thought there'd be more. I do love that scene when Tom Cruise is having sex and the guy with autism (I think he has autism) starts mimicking the noises. Cracked me up!

Never saw The Godfather, but this reminds me of a hilarious moment on Family Guy.

Peter doesn't care for the Godfather:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=poqr2BuillY

Here are some that I recommend:

Hostel - Quentin Tarantino seemed to just want to fit as much sex and gore into a movie as he could. And he did. This movie is meant to be disgusting and it serves its purpose. I actually threw up in my mouth.

The Departed - Just so good. Love Jack Nicholson.

One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest - Another great Nicholson movie.

Shreck - One you can watch with the whole family.

Monster - This movie is absolutely sick. It turned my stomach. Check it out. :devil: :lol:

Moulin Rouge - The only musical I've ever liked.

Requiem for a Dream - Another stomach turner. Bawled my eyes out. Beautiful music, beautiful acting.

The Nightmare Before Christmas - A classic. Still listen to the soundtrack and I just saw this movie in 3D. :blink:

School Ties - Why is Matt Damon always the bad guy?

Pirates of the Caribbean I and II - Action packed.

Benny and Joon - Cute. Just cute.

Hero - Beautiful cinematography.

A Beautiful Mind - Makes me wonder how I'd feel if I realized that everything I knew wasn't real. Crazy...

Here are a couple of goofy/hilarious movies that I'd recommend:

Napoleon Dynamite, Freddy Got Fingered, Scary Movie I and II, Anchorman, Zoolander, Strangers With Candy, Dodgeball, Meet the Parents, Sarah Silverman: Jesus is Magic (stand-up), Dane Cook: Viscious Circle (stand-up)

I've yet to read the book. I hear it's actually told from Chief's perspective.

Lucky. I should buy the DVD...I mean, I've already rented it twice. The first time I saw it I laughed ridiculously hard. I could hardly see the screen because of my tears of laughter. You should go to sarahsilvermanonline and check out some of her television appearances (talk shows, roasts, etc). Quite funny as well.

Victor; Mildred Pierce is a campy Joan Crawford shit. A movie with a great 40ths leading lady Bette Davis Now Voyager.

Chris, I said "The list is largely comprised of plot driven stories, but sometimes I have been taken by a film because of its direction, cinematography or acting." You might think that the script for Mildred Pierce is campy, but she did turn in a fine performance and won an Oscar for her efforts. I don't have anything against Bette Davis or Now Voyager.

Victor

There are many great things about Now Voyager. Besides Davis's there is Glady Cooper's as Davis's mother, Mary Wickes as the mother's nurse. Besides Paul Heindrid's there is Claude Rains as the doctor. The last line is one of the best. To quote "Let's not ask for the moon when we have the stars." Fade out.

100 Movies You Should See Before You Die!

Ladies and gents, here is a list of 100 movies that you should see before you die. It just so happens that I am a movie buff [Well, okay, I'm a fanatic.] This list is entirely subjective and there is no particular logic or order to it—and it encompasses almost every genre from romantic comedies to drama to westerns. It also spans from the 1920s to modern times. If you are a movie buff and have not seen any given title that captures your interest---drop by your Block Buster tonight. If you are simply looking for a good recommendation for a good flick, use this list as your holy reference. The list here is comprised of films that I personally thought were brilliant or merely entertaining. Google a title you like and get a fuller picture of the movie.

The list is largely comprised of plot driven stories, but sometimes I have been taken by a film because of its direction, cinematography or acting. It's all here! Well, actually, this list is hardly exhaustive--but feel free to include other films that one should see before we all die!

[1] Amadeus

[2] Shaw shank Redemption

[3] Dead Poet's Society

[4] The Joy Luck Club

[5] Heat

[6] Unforgiven

[7] The Color Purple

[8] Rob Roy

[9] Taxi Driver

[10] Jaws

[11] City Lights

[12] The Gold Rush

[13] Gentlemen’s agreement

[14] Rope

[15] Open Water

[16] The God Father

[17] Network

[18] Clock Work Orange

[19] The Truman show

[20] Sea Biscuit

[21] Apollo 13

[22] The Miracle Worker

[23] Rocky 1 [There were no others].

[24] Field of Dreams

[25] Dangerous Beauty

[26] Lawrence of Arabia

[27] The Winslow Boy (original is best)

[28] Queen Christina

[29] Shane

[30] The Big Country

[31] Alive!

[32] 12 angry men

[33] Inherit The Wind

[34] Casablanca

[35] The Bide of Frankenstein

[36] From Here to Eternity

[37] I Confess

[38] Casablanca

[39] Red River

[40] Young Frankenstein

[41] 2001- a Space Odyssey

[42] The Graduate

[43] Blazing Saddles

[44] Rain Man

[45] Being John Malkovich

[46] American Beauty

[47] Some like it hot

[48] Cast away

[49]Annie Hall

[50] PSYCHO

[51] Closer

[52] The Exorcist

[53] M

[54] The Hunch Back of Notre Dame [The 1939 version].

[55] Marty

[56] My favorite Wife

[57] Bringing up Baby

[58] Sideways

[59] The Thing

[60] Batman Begins

[61] The Agony and the Ecstasy

[62] Judgment at Nuremberg

[63] The Princess Bride

[64] A Night at the Opera

[65] Girl with a Pearl Earring

[66] Lust for Life

[67] Monty Python's Life of Brian

[68] Braveheart

[69] Singing in the rain

[70] The awful truth

[71] Bonnie and Clyde

[72] Goodfellas

[73] A hard day’s night

[74] Raging bull

[75] Schindler’s list

[76] Sweet smell of success

[77] Whatever happened to baby Jane?

[78] China Town

[79] The 400 Blows

[80] Ninotchka

[81] The purple Rose of Cairo

[82] Something about Mary

[83] The circus

[84] Ben-Hur

[85] The Broadway Melody

[86] Freaks)

[87] Fury

[88] Gentlemen Prefer Blondes

[89] Pillow Talk

[90] The Jazz Singer

[91] Apocalypse Now

[92] Duck Soup

[93] Mr. Smith goes to Washington

[94] Road to Morocco

[95] The Yearling

[96] The seven Year itch

[97] The apartment

[98] King Kong

[99] Roman holiday

[100] Mildred Pierce

B)

~ Wel-l-l-l...given this topic, gotta chime in.

~ Back on RoR (when it was SOLOHQ), someone asked for everyones' "5 top films." As many, I went way past the '5.' I might add a couple more now, but, my list (not quite '100') would stay unchanged. I added short comments re most of each, but, also some separate comments re 'movie'-vs-'saga' faves being analogizable nowadays to 'chapter'-vs-'book' ones.

movie faves

LLAP

J:D

Edited by John Dailey

~ Wel-l-l-l...given this topic, gotta chime in.

~ Back on RoR (when it was SOLOHQ), someone asked for everyones' "5 top films." As many, I went way past the '5.' I might add a couple more now, but, my list (not quite '100') would stay unchanged. I added short comments re most of each, but, also some separate comments re 'movie'-vs-'saga' faves being analogizable nowadays to 'chapter'-vs-'book' ones.

movie faves

LLAP

Hi John,

I like a lot of the same flicks as you do, for sure. Films such as 'Titanic' and I like how you said "Cameron's version; yes, with DiCapprio". Hey, DiCapprio is a fine actor in my books.

And then you include 'Viva Las Vegas' adding "hey: live with it". That's funny. Well, you are a brave soul by letting us know you dig this Elvis flick. Ann Margarget and Elvis were hot together. You know what, I like a lot of Elvis flick too. My fave Elvis movie is King Creole. This is a cool movie. This was before the beach and race car movie period, and the story of King Creole is plotted well and Elvis pulls off a fine acting job. I like Elvis' line to that chick: "God didn't give you that talent for what you're using it for, honey" Did you know this role was meant for James Dean, but of course Dean died before shooting.

Then you add: "Singing In The Rain (explanations necessary on this baby? I think not.)" I agree. Damn it, why do I need to defend myself on this flick--it has joyful life and zest. Yes sir, I like your taste in movies, John. :turned:

-Victor

I agree with those on your list which I have seen which includes most of them. A couple of films come to mind which did not make your list. To Kill A Mockingbird with Gregory Peck is wonderful if you are individualistically oriented as Peck's character is a striking example of a man of integrity and strength.

There is a film called something like October Sky about a boy who is interested in rocketry, despite his father's lack of support, played by Cris Cooper in a rare role in which he plays a mean father throughout, and the movie is uplifting because the young fellow triumphs in the end, and goes on to become instrumental in the space program in the real world.

I am sure there are still more wonderful films but those came to mind

galtgulch

Edited by galtgulch

I forgot about To Kill A Mockingbird. I watched it in 9th grade and thought it was great. Of course the movies rarely top the books though.

I always hated October Sky. I had to watch it a million times when I was younger.

New additions to my list are:

Little Miss Sunshine

Don't Be A Menace

I forgot about To Kill A Mockingbird. I watched it in 9th grade and thought it was great. Of course the movies rarely top the books though.

I always hated October Sky. I had to watch it a million times when I was younger.

Little Miss Sunshine

Don't Be A Menace

Kori, have you ever seen Ghost World? If not, I highly, highly suggest it for you...anyone!

'Victor,

My wife and i love to go to the movies. We found Blood Diamond to be entertaining and were impressed with Dicaprio who played his character convincingly.

We also enjoyed Dejavu and always find Denzel a pleasure to watch.

Incidentally i know a gentleman who works for the same company where I toil who is quite good looking and it occurred to me that he would be the kind of unknown who would be appealing if he were cast as John Galt.

I wonder how the Atlas project is going and hope they do an outstanding job. I have always known that Objectivism is the antidote for the ills of the world. I recall my reaction when I first heard the fundamentals of Objectivism explained to me. i said, rather naively, "How come it is not the front page headline in the New York Times?"

galt

'Victor,

My wife and i love to go to the movies. We found Blood Diamond to be entertaining and were impressed with Dicaprio who played his character convincingly.

We also enjoyed Dejavu and always find Denzel a pleasure to watch.

Incidentally i know a gentleman who works for the same company where I toil who is quite good looking and it occurred to me that he would be the kind of unknown who would be appealing if he were cast as John Galt.

I wonder how the Atlas project is going and hope they do an outstanding job. I have always known that Objectivism is the antidote for the ills of the world. I recall my reaction when I first heard the fundamentals of Objectivism explained to me. i said, rather naively, "How come it is not the front page headline in the New York Times?"

galt

William,

The fundamentals of Objectivism have always appeared as common sense, as in “but of course!” It struck me as sensible—obviously sensible--as somebody saying “Hey, take care of your health and don’t eat broken glass.” Later on, like you, I began to appreciate what a radical philosophy it really is in this bizarre, but sometimes wonderful--world. Mostly it is strange to me. Sometimes I feel like Chuck Heston waking up in the corn field gawking at a freaking ape on a horse. The mainstream ideas out there strike me as bloody ugly and odd. But I love life, don't get me wrong.

I look forward to seeing the Atlas Shrugged movie. I have a date with the most wonderful and beautiful woman in the world. She posts here, her name is Angie.

-Victor

Edited by Victor Pross

...Don't forget 'Brining Up Baby"!

I love this movie. Cary Grant was hilarious. One of my favorite scenes in that movie is when Grant, due to being a victim of a series of circumstances, is found in a woman’s night gown. When asked for an explanation, the frustrated Grant yelps: “Don’t you know? I suddenly turned gay!” --jumping into the air in a mocking campy way to uproarious effect. What a funny movie!

Victor

Edited by Victor Pross

~ Whoa-ah! Looks like some 'movie-buffs' got pulled in here!

~ I hadn't 'listed' them previously, but, here, now, I gotta add Reeve's Superman, Superman II, and Routh's Superman Returns. There. I said it. Plus, Routh manages to fill Reeve's super-boots (no small super-feat!)

LLAP

Edited by John Dailey

~ I hadn't 'listed' them previously, but, here, now, I gotta add Reeve's Superman, Superman II, and Routh's Superman Returns. There. I said it. Plus, Routh manages to fill Reeve's super-boots (no small super-feat!)

LLAP

You better believe it, mister, or you’re dead where you stand.

Okay, so it’s not the best John Wayne impersonation.

Guest Damage Inc.

LLAP

You better believe it, mister, or you’re dead where you stand.

Okay, so it’s not the best John Wayne impersonation.

Great selection of films. Another film similar to, American Beauty, is, Intersection. Another great film about living your life now.

Where are the sci-fi films in your list, like, Blade Runner?

Wayne Simmons

Edited by Damage Inc.

Little Miss Sunshine

Don't Be A Menace

Kori, have you ever seen Ghost World? If not, I highly, highly suggest it for you...anyone!

I have seen Ghost World, however, it was a couple of years ago, so I don't remember all of it exactly. I do remember that I thought it was very funny. I remember a part where the girl is laughing at a guy because he sat down at a restaurant and ordered a glass of milk. I thought it was funny, but also sad because I LOVE to drink big, tall glasses of milk. I also remember something about raccoons and fried chicken...I didn't understand that when I first saw it, but realized later on that it was racism... :logik: :(

Kori,

Well then, it was some time ago that you saw it, because you are remembering things that are irrelevant and maybe you were too young to appreciate the movies theme: loneliness, isolation and alienation---but also a connection with another person. The main character is your age. All of this speaks to your recent post on So why do people need people? This is a movie to watch again—except it will be for the first time. Do it!

-Victor

Edited by Victor Pross

Victor,

Yes, I know those things are irrelevant. LOL. Maybe that post makes me sound like a mo-tard. I do need to rewatch it, definitely. I remember Steve Buscemi was with that young girl. I do somewhat remember those themes of loneliness, alienation, etc, but of course, I obviously don't remember the movie. Will def. watch it again. I'll probably relate to it much, unfortunately.