TOC 2007 Summer Seminar

Judith

OK, so what ~did~ happen at the Summer Seminar? We keep hearing ARI-this and ARI-that, but nothing about the big annual event of the "good guys." Doesn't ~anyone~ have something to share about TAS's gathering? Perhaps we have grown complacent because the valiant Perigoniacs did not try to crash this year's party! :-)

REB

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am going to do a longer blog post.

Roger;

Few quick comments. The lectures and common room were great. The dorms were awful. The meals were adequate. The lectures had a problem with sound from other lectures.

We shared our meals with wrestlers and cheerleaders.

Ed Hudgins, Dave Mayer, Chris Baylor, Stephen Hicks and Tim Sandifuer were holdovers who have done great jobs and did them again.

I missed Marsha Enright, Scott Bulluck and Duncan Scott because of other lectures.

Most of the students hadn't seen Miss Rand's "Love Letters" but they all loved it.

Edited by Chris Grieb

I had an excellent time at the Summer Seminar. In particular, I enjoyed William Kline's three part series on Business Ethics. I'll try to write a more detailed report when I get some time.

What Did You Learn at the Summer Conference?

It would be great if people who went to summer Objectivist conferences -- whether ARI or TOC -- had a tradition of making some long posts about them in the week or at most two weeks immediately after them -- while the knowledge is still fresh and before it becomes lost...and before one gets caught up in the routine of one's nomal life.

There are many advantages to doing this.

By communicating something, you solidify your own knowledge of it. By spreading the knowledge, you encourage others to attend, you advance Objectivism as an organized body of knowledge applicable in many areas. By sharing information with others, you encourage them to return the favor. By posting on substantive intellectual issues in philosophy, psychology, history, the arts, and their application to living a better life, you make this more than gossip and quarrels and negativity a more important focus for Objectivists and more central to any spread of Objectivism or Objectivist movement.

And by sharing, by putting down on paper, what values you gained, you make them more real to yourself and more lasting. You may even inspire yourself to become more active or engaged in some way.

Both major summer conferences just ended a week ago, so *now* would be the best time to do this while it’s fresh. If one procrastinates on something like this (let me get caught up on work, on school), it will never happen. Or it will be a bunch of one-liners.

Barbara; Phil wasn't at the Summer Seminar. Phil; I have Day 1 on my OL blog. Jonathan; I missed Jason's presentation on photography. He was opposite Chris Baylor.

• 3 weeks later...
With trips to LA and the UK already planned for this summer, the resources, babysitter and vacation time are limited.

Kat

Hi Kat, when are you guys coming to the UK? I'm around until mid-September (except last week of August) and would enjoy meeting up, if this is something you guys would like too?

Fran