Ayn Rand's Matchmaking Hour

Victor Pross

Ayn Rand's Matchmaking Hour :heart: :heart:

[more lame than funny, but funny because it's so lame]

I stumbled into this video about a month ago while searching "Ayn Rand" in the YouTube search field. It made me want to puke. They can't even pronounce her name right. C'mon, what a pathetic attempt at satire.

I know, Mark. It's mega lame. And it is laced with hostility, too. These people may very well know the guy who drew that cartoon. :wink:

Somehow I just KNEW you were going to bring up that cartoon. ;)

The fact that my Jewish friend considers Rand a joke, fits about right with the comic strip and that YT video.

I took a break from writing and took a look at this... er... thing.

I hate to see things like that. Not funny. Not well produced. Not vicious. Not anything but a waste of time. Enshrined mediocrity. I wonder why people do it.

The two most bizarre things I have ever seen based on Rand are the following. At least they show some attempt at originality.

Video:

(Maybe it means an Objectivist pie in the sky parable about a pie producer who stayed true to her vision till the end, even while brutally destroying the pie that sprang forth from her mind along with and a second hand pie looter.)

Site: The Floating Head of Ayn Rand: A Timeline

(This looks like what would be produced by an orthodox Objectivist who decided to experiment with an acid or psilocybin trip. It is a timeline of Rand's disembodied head with a weird Ayn Rand Seal of Approval.)

You have to be in a real quirky mood to appreciate them, though. Sort of like when you feel like sitting in a dark corner with a flashlight and copy of the Holy Bible and Popular Mechanics, wondering whether Dean Martin broke with Jerry Lewis or Jerry broke with Dean, and trying to pretend you are the third valve on a tuba during a Bruckner symphony.

Michael

I thought this video was kinda cute. Being an Objectivist matchmaker, I can certainly relate. I would have liked to see her try to pair up two Objectivists and watch them break out their effing lists. It is damn near impossible to pair up O'ists. Believe me, I've tried. We do sometimes find each other, though.

Kat

I would have liked to see her try to pair up two Objectivists and watch them break out their effing lists. It is damn near impossible to pair up O'ists. Believe me, I've tried. We do sometimes find each other, though.

Kat

lol, I had a good laugh at that, having a 'list' myself.

Ugh... The Objectivist Dating Game.

Kat's right though... sometimes you hook up! What really sparked my honey and I to get together early on was discovering that we both loved Atlas Shrugged. Suddenly there was all this context.

But we didn't have no steenking lists!! Ack!!! I think the best negotiations are done face-to-face, without notes or a net!

But she's not at all technical philosophically...she just lives how she lives. I think Atlas just, like it does to many people, concretized some things.