Tiramisu'

Ciro

Kat, thank you for inviting me to run the kitchen here. :D

I will try my best to post recipes which people can prepare in the shortest time possibile, and also are easy to make. I remember when I first started as food leader on solohq, you asked me the Tiramisu' recipe. For that reason I will start posting my recipes here right with the Tiramisu. I changed the recipe a little from the old recipe, so it could be perfect perfect to name this recipe Kat's Tiramisu'.

Kat's Tiramisu'

Serves 4-6

Dish size 10x 12 or 14 inch-oval

Ingredients

3 egg yolks

1/2 cup sugar

3/4 cup mascarpone cheese

1 1/4 cup whipping cream

1/4 cup kahlua 1/4 cup irish cream

2 cups strong coffee, cooled

36-40 lady fingers

cocoa powder for dusting

ONE: Beat 3 egg yolks with 1/2 cup sugar until the sugar has dissolved and the mixture is light. Add the mascarpone and mix well. Beat 1 1/4 whipping cream into stiff peaks and gently fold into the mascarpone mixture, then spread a thin layer of the mascarpone cream over the bottom of a deep dish, a 12-inch oval dish would be perfect. The bottom layer should be about 1/4 of inch thick.

TWO: Add 1/4 cup Kahula and 1/4 cup Irish cream, into 2 cups of strong coffee. Dip the ladyfingers into the coffee, soaking them well. Depending on the freshness of the ladyfingers, they may require more or less soaking, but be careful not to over soak. Arrange a layer of ladyfingers close together in the dish, you may need to break them to fit the shape of your dish. Cover with another layer of mascarpone cream, to cover the first layer of the ladyfingers use 1/2 of the cream in your working container, then another layer of ladyfingers and finish with the mascarpone cream. Smooth the top and keep chilled until ready to serve. Generously dust with cocoa powder just before serving. Tiramisu is best made several hours in advance so that the flavors have time to blend before serving.

Ciao a tutti Ciro.

ps.

Folks, we have a lots more coming up.

Thanks Ciro, I am honored. purrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

Are you up for a real challenge? MSK will not touch liquor or processed sugar (honey is ok), what adjustments would I need to make to this to please my man?

Kat

What the hell is organic sugar? Isn't all sugar organic? Or are you all using non-organic sugar? Artificial sugar? Maybe plastic sugar?

:D

Seriously, my problem is with sucrose in any form (especially derived from cane or beets) or some crap they love here in the USA called "high fructose corn syrup."

Horrible.

The only thing the sugar cane is good for to me is making rum and Brazilian cachaça (Portuguese aguardente) - but I no longer drink.

The sugar cane could go extinct as a species and that would be fine with me.

Michael

I love sugar! I can't help myself. If it ain't sweet, fattening or high in carbs, it ain't food. Michael is the sweetest guy in the world and he won't touch anything with sugar or booze. I am a total chocoholic and I want more sugar, not less. More!

Tiramisu is one of my favorite desserts - sugar, booze, goo and chocolate. Michael has never had it and he won't touch it knowing what's in it. What is the magic formula for substituting honey for sugar in cooking? He might take Splenda in small doses, but it is made from sugar cane too.

Also, is there a non-alcoholic substitute for the liquor? And what is that cheese? Is it like cream cheese?

I know this seems like a royal pain in the butt, but low-sugar diets are becoming more common. As a chef, knowing how to adjust the recipes for low carb, low sugar or meatless diners is a valuable skill. Remember this when you are writing your cookbook or doing your new show on the food channel. :wink:

Kat

Ciro, I am going to attempt to make the tiramisu for my birthday cake. I don't want to use liquor so here is what I am going to try to do. Let me know if it is totally off base.

3 egg yolks

1/2 cup sugar (or splenda)

1 8 oz tub mascorpone cheese

1 1/4 cup whipping cream

2 cups strong coffee, cooled

1 pkg lady fingers

cocoa for dusting

Beat egg yolks and sugar together until sugar is dissolved and the mixture is light. Add the mascorpone and mix well. Beat 1 1/4 whipping cream into stiff peaks and then gently fold into the mascarpone mixture.

Spread a 1/4 inch layer of the creamy mixture on the bottom of a dish. Dip the lady fingers into the coffee, soak well, but do not oversoak. Arrange close together in dish, add half the remaining cream mixture, another layer of coffee dipped lady fingers and the final layer of creamy mixture. Smooth out the top and chill several hours. Dust with cocoa before serving.

Do you think MSK would eat that? Ideally, I'd like to substitute the sugar with honey. How much honey do you substitute for a half cup of sugar?

Kat

Kat, first let me wish you happy birthday.

We celebrate bithdays, but I never understood why?

I wish one day, someone would give me a valid reason for doing that . lol

BTW. How can I substitute sugar with honey in recipes?

You can substitute honey for equal amounts of sugar in many liquid recipes. In baked goods, substitute honey for up to half the amount of sugar and make the following adjustments. Reduce the amount of liquid in the recipe by 1/4 cup for each cup of honey used. Add 1/2 tsp. baking soda for each cup of honey used, because honey is heavier than sugar and therefore the recipe needs extra levitation help. Reduce oven temperature by 25F (because honey will brown baking goods more than sugar). In liquid recipes such as salad dressings, drinks, shakes etc. you may replace sugar with the same or lesser amount of honey. Keep in mind that honey is sweeter than sugar! Tiramisu' doesn't need to be baked so you shoudn't have any problems.

To measure honey for a recipe, spray measuring cup with vegetable oil first, then pour honey into greased measuring cup.

Ciao Kat,happy birthday to you!

Is Michael at church? lol

This stuff is really awesome. It is actually fun to make, it's kinda of like make lasagna and French toast sticks at the same time. Now let's see if we can make this delicious tiramisu recipe MSK safe. The biggest issue now is the lady fingers. They were covered in sugar on one side. Is there something that can substitute these with low or no sugar?

Kat's Tiramisu

3 egg yolks

1/2 cup sugar (or Splenda)

(or substitute sugar with 1/4 cup honey plus 1/8 tsp baking soda)

1 1/4 cup whipping cream

2 cups strong coffee, cooled (+1/4 cup Kalua or Irish cream, optional)

1 pkg lady fingers

(can I substitute cookies with dry toast? LOLOLOL - I dunno)

cocoa for dusting

Beat egg yolks and sugar together until sugar is dissolved and the mixture is light. Add the mascorpone and mix well. Beat 1 1/4 cups whipping cream into stiff peaks and then gently fold into the mascarpone mixture.

Spread a 1/4 inch layer of the creamy mixture on the bottom of a dish. Dip the lady fingers into the coffee, soak well, but do not oversoak. Arrange close together in dish, add half the remaining cream mixture, another layer of coffee dipped lady fingers and the final layer of creamy mixture. Smooth out the top and chill several hours. Dust with cocoa before serving.

Yes, kat you can choose any sponge no sugar bread, or anything that doesn't have sugar.

Remember though, if you chose a soft biscott or sponge bread

don't dip it in the coffee, just make a layer and brush it with coffee.

If you mess up let me know.

I will make a little dimostrative video and send it to you?

Ciao.

Thank you so much for helping me with this recipe, Ciro. It is really awesome. It is actually fun to make, it's kinda of like making lasagna and French toast sticks at the same time.

Kat's Tiramisu

3 egg yolks

1/2 cup sugar (or Splenda for baking)

(or substitute sugar with 1/4 cup honey plus 1/8 tsp baking soda)

1 1/4 cup whipping cream

2 cups strong coffee, cooled (+1/4 cup Kahlua or Irish cream, optional)

1 pkg lady fingers

(can substitute with biscuit or bread for low sugar, but brush with coffee instead of dipping)

cocoa for dusting

1. Make egg, sugar and cheese mixture.

Beat egg yolks and sugar (or substitute) together until sugar is dissolved and the mixture is light. Add the mascorpone and mix well.

2. Make and add in whipped cream.

Beat 1 1/4 cups whipping cream into stiff peaks and then gently fold into the mascarpone mixture.

3. Assemble, chill and garnish.

• 3 months later...