Nathaniel's lectures on Basic Principles of Objectivism

Roger, I can't thank you enough for doing such a wonderful job of transcribing my lectures on Efficient Thinking. I'd swear you added an extra clarity to them. You've made my job of editing -- by which I mean adding, subtracting, improving, researching, mulling, clarifying, tossing pages into the trash and then taking them out again, more mulling, throwing up my hands in despair, congratulating myself on my genius, deciding I don't know anything and wondering what other occupation I can find this late in life, marveling that anyone can be as smart as I -- infinitely easier.

Barbara

Roger, I can't thank you enough for doing such a wonderful job of transcribing my lectures on Efficient Thinking. I'd swear you added an extra clarity to them. You've made my job of editing -- by which I mean adding, subtracting, improving, researching, mulling, clarifying, tossing pages into the trash and then taking them out again, more mulling, throwing up my hands in despair, congratulating myself on my genius, deciding I don't know anything and wondering what other occupation I can find this late in life, marveling that anyone can be as smart as I -- infinitely easier.

Barbara

Barbara,

You are not alone!

When I was completing Venus , for months I thought I was only 2 hours away, ha! Four months later, only for her neck and face (damn expensive neck!), 24/7!!! But it is worth it!!!

Michael

Edited by Newberry

Barbara,

You are not alone!

When I was completing Venus , for months I thought I was only 2 hours away, ha! Four months later, only for her neck and face (damn expensive neck!), 24/7!!! But it is worth it!!!

Michael

Which brings to mind my PhD dissertation. The only reason I finished on time (in fact early!) was that my adviser gave very good advice (and ensured that I followed it!) to write up components of the research as I went along, so that three months before the end the work which remained was mostly working with the typist (yes, I'm old enough that I had a typist...) and handling things which came up from committee review and the feedback I received in talks I gave based on the research. My research I was doing by then was content NOT to appear in the dissertation...

ALWAYS assume that the "final stages" (so-named) of writing will take at least 2 - 5 times your initial estimate - until experience validates that you have successfully recalibrated your estimation process.

Bill P (Alfonso)

Which brings to mind my PhD dissertation. The only reason I finished on time (in fact early!) was that my adviser gave very good advice (and ensured that I followed it!) to write up components of the research as I went along, so that three months before the end the work which remained was mostly working with the typist (yes, I'm old enough that I had a typist...) and handling things which came up from committee review and the feedback I received in talks I gave based on the research. My research I was doing by then was content NOT to appear in the dissertation...

Bill P (Alfonso)

My Mom had a professional typist for her PhD dissertation in 1970 here in Tucson. Shortly after, her typist's father died so she went back East to take over the race-horse farm. One of her horses was Secretariat.

--Brant

Barbara

Barbara, it's my honor and my pleasure. You must know that this transcription project, as well as the ongoing project for Nathaniel's BPO, has been a labor of love. Love and appreciation for the two of you, and for the marvelous work you both did years ago, work which stands the test of time and deserves to see the light of day in book form.

Your Efficient Thinking lectures are one hell of a piece of work, Barbara. For me, the real fun of their being published in book form is going to be when people finally get to ~see~ just how smart you really are! :)

Best always,

REB

When you figure out your new occupation, let me know if there are any more openings. Twenty-three years of wearing polyester in hot, humid weather is way past long enough!

I must add that I found Bill P's and Michael Newberry's comments about the last part of the work being the hardest being something I have experienced in my own life.

Allow me to add my congratulations to all on the completion of the transcription of BPO and POET.

I hope Barbara can get her course into book forum and published.

Edited by Chris Grieb

> I hope Barbara can get her course into book form and published.

For starters, there will be many, many Objectivists who will buy it, myself included. (Those who took it in tape form or attened the lecture series will often buy it, but they are getting no younger, so the book needs to be published quickly.)

With the completion of the transcriptions of Lectures 7 and 15 (and thanks to the help of Jerry Biggers who has supplied us with three transcriptions to date), we are now at FIFTY PERCENT OF COMPLETION!! :cheer: :cheer: :cheer: :cheer: :cheer: :cheer: :cheer: :cheer: :cheer: :cheer:

REB

Lecture 19 finished -- FIFTY-FIVE PERCENT OF COMPLETION!! (Thanks, again, Jerry!) :cheer:

REB

Thanks, Roger - and you are welcome!

A couple of thoughts about Basic Principles of Objectivism:

Despite (or because?) being the only comprehensive survey of the essentials of Objectivism, and its psychological implications and applications (missed, in the otherwise interesting survey later offered by Leonard Peikoff), BPO has remained in audio-only format for about 38 years. Before that, NBI offered it around the world, but only as a taped course available in a classroom setting, or its equivalent. According to Academic Associates, which issued the first recorded sets of the complete lectures on LP in 1969, 35,000 students in over 80 cities, worldwide, heard it in that format.

Since then, it has remained available, in CD and cassette tape format, but I do not have figures available on how many sets were sold- or how many others listened to those recordings.

Nathaniel Branden is an excellent speaker, often using dramatic, challenging, and exhortative styles to drive home his points.

When these lectures are published in book format (hopefully accompanied by annotations to make clear, or to update, historical references), and start being distributed through Amazon, Borders, B&N, and other mass-marketers, I think that its arguments will aid significantly in the advancement of Objectivism, and in the case for the development of a rational, free, and just society.

It's wonderful to learn that this work is being transcribed and will be made available in printed form. It is a must for academic posterity. I look forward to comparing sales ranking for this work on Amazon compared to PARC! Two other matters.

First, I am curious if the Q&A portions are being transcribed. I hope that they will be included in the final work. Rand's Q&A is always most informative and interesting. Just because some of the matter is dated does not necessarily make it useless. It can be of interest historically, and has the benefit of concretizing the issues discussed.

Second, for those who are interested, TAS, like ARI, has used audio distribution as a cheap means of maintaining inventory. Printed material has to be printed and stored in bulk. Audio material can be burnt and shipped as needed. Of course, this will hopefully soon be academic.

It's wonderful to learn that this work is being transcribed and will be made available in printed form. It is a must for academic posterity. I look forward to comparing sales ranking for this work on Amazon compared to PARC! Two other matters.

First, I am curious if the Q&A portions are being transcribed. I hope that they will be included in the final work. Rand's Q&A is always most informative and interesting. Just because some of the matter is dated does not necessarily make it useless. It can be of interest historically, and has the benefit of concretizing the issues discussed.

Second, for those who are interested, TAS, like ARI, has used audio distribution as a cheap means of maintaining inventory. Printed material has to be printed and stored in bulk. Audio material can be burnt and shipped as needed. Of course, this will hopefully soon be academic.

You ask very good questions, young grasshopper. :)

1. I agree with your comments about Q&A sessions or segments of a lecture session, but unfortunately, there are no Q&A sessions included in the audio recordings of Nathaniel's BPO lectures, neither in the more ancient form (the LPs), nor in the form currently marketed (the CDs). (As a note: Leonard Peikoff's 1976 lectures on Objectivism did include Q&A sessions in the audio recordings, and these have been partially "mined" for Binswanger's Ayn Rand Lexicon and for Mayhew's Ayn Rand Answers. Many years ago, I transcribed these sessions for my own private purposes, but I have not yet gotten around to comparing them against what was included from them in the Binswanger and Mayhew books.)

2. FYI, there is now a kind of service called "print on demand," so bulk printing and storage is no longer necessary. It's possible that Nathaniel will go that route in marketing his book, but it is just one option presently under consideration.

REB

Chris,

One of the saddest things about the demise of NBI is that all of Miss Rand's question and answerer sessions are lost.

In what sense? They were physically lost? They weren't taped?

-NEIL

____

Young grasshopper? You know that I am both bigger and uglier than you. (My avatar can be misleading.) And I now have at least as much grey hair. :o

I know that print on demand exists. How good is the quality of such bindings? I have been reluctant to purchase any such texts so far. I'd like an opinion.

> TAS, like ARI, has used audio distribution as a cheap means of maintaining inventory.

Ted, how do you know this is their actual motivation, have you spoken to people at both places?

> Printed material has to be printed and stored in bulk. Audio material can be burnt and shipped as needed.

The volume is so low that you don't need a huge storeroom for as few books and pamphlets as they seem to sell (certainly in the case of TAS...where their site often says 1 copy left, 2 copies left). Plus you can reorder when stock slips to one or two copies.

I have not spoken to anyone at ARI, but the business model has been and is the same, given the historical connection. Perhaps ARI has some darker motive? You would have to tell me. :o

As for storage, I have worked for a small publisher. Large bulk printings are cheaper, but require storage. An individual CD or DVD can be burnt as needed for about a dollar in time and materials.

Chris,
One of the saddest things about the demise of NBI is that all of Miss Rand's question and answerer sessions are lost.

In what sense? They were physically lost? They weren't taped?

-NEIL

____

Neil; They were taped but they may have been destroyed with the problems of who controlled them. CHRIS

Young grasshopper? You know that I am both bigger and uglier than you. (My avatar can be misleading.) And I now have at least as much grey hair. :o

I know that print on demand exists. How good is the quality of such bindings? I have been reluctant to purchase any such texts so far. I'd like an opinion.

I'm sure the binding quality varies. I have bought two books on Objectivism-related topics from www.iuniverse.com. One is Scott Ryan's Objectivism and the Corruption of Rationality: a Critique of Ayn Rand's Epistemology. It's about 400 pages long, and it's reasonably attractive in appearance. It's a very stimulating and aggravating book. (Among other things, he praises and attacks a very obscure essay I wrote that was published in 1971 in Individualist magazine on the Liar's Paradox and meaning and truth in propositions.) I bought it about 4-5 years ago, and I've banged it around a bit, and it's still in one piece. Can't say the same for my paperback copies of Rand and Peikoff books.

I don't know if "iUniverse" is still in operation, but if they are, I will use them or someone like them when I'm ready to publish my own books. (It's very unlikely I will get a conventional publisher to do my books.)

REB

Ted,

I own a copy of Greg Nyquist's book from iUniverse. It's kinda clunky graphically (the cover art budget must have been extremely low) but the book is solidly put together, and printed on better paper than most of the Rand / Peikoff paperbacks that I own.

Robert Campbell

• 2 weeks later...

I've gotten some texts from Lulu, and been quite happy with the quality.

I'm a bit of a bibliophile, and am critical of poorly printed/bound works. (Dover is one of my favorite paperback publisher...)