Leonard Peikoff Edited The Passion of Ayn Rand's Critics?

Neil Parille

This is what Valliant says.  I recall Valliant saying he and Peikoff weren't close friends.  Does anyone recall where Valliant said (or denied) anything like this?

(7) James Valliant on Peikoff - TDO 352 | Jonathan Hoenig, Nikos & James Valliant - YouTube

It's about 14 mins in.

2 hours ago, Neil Parille said:

This is what Valliant says.  I recall Valliant saying he and Peikoff weren't close friends.  Does anyone recall where Valliant said (or denied) anything like this?

(7) James Valliant on Peikoff - TDO 352 | Jonathan Hoenig, Nikos & James Valliant - YouTube

It's about 14 mins in.

All I can say about this is Peikoff is a much, much better writer than V.

--Brant

at least when Rand helped him

1 hour ago, Brant Gaede said:

All I can say about this is Peikoff is a much, much better writer than V.

--Brant

at least when Rand helped him

I thought OPEC was quite good. Helped or not.

Peikoff pod cast 76 from 2009.  https://peikoff.com/2009/08/24/do-you-approve-of-the-intellectual-battle-waged-by-jim-valliant-and-diana-shaw/

Now I have another question from the same person about two individual objectivists with a public profile.  In a long question, he wants to know what I think of them, do I agree with them and my answer is I thoroughly approve of the intellectual battle waged by Jim Valliant and Diana Shay Shaw [Hsieh].  I admire the work of both to the extent that I know it.

I wouldn't get from this that he and Valliant are such close friends and that he even helped write The Passion of Ayn Rand's Cricits.

Casey Fahy in 2005,

When he published that part, on my own website, we both believed that doing so would jeopardize what relationship he had had with Leonard Peikoff. I can personally vouch for the fact that Jim did not consult with Peikoff or anyone else associated with ARI about the content of his book—at all, ever. As proof of this, when Dr. Peikoff did make Rand's papers available to him, Peikoff told Jim that his first reaction to the very idea of the project was, and I quote, "Am I gonna have to pick a fight with Valliant now?" And, it was reading those original essays alone that convinced Peikoff to make Rand's notes available. Period.

In the comments to this article both James and his wife commented without correcting this egregious error.

In case it gets deleted, here is my SOLO P post:

As partisans of the “PARC wars” may recall, James Valliant claimed that The Passion of Ayn Rand’s Critics (2005) was “heavily edited” but never named the editor.

Yesterday, James stated that when Leonard Peikoff learned of the draft of PARC that was on the internet 1999-2000, he called James and said that Rand's notes corroborated what he wrote. Further, "he helped me edit the Passion of Ayn Rand's Critics."* Please tell me that Peikoff wasn't responsible even in part for the editing of this horrible book.

Can anyone here who was involved in the PARC wars recall James saying that Peikoff helped him edit the book?

In fact, on Rebirth of Reason, Valliant’s collaborator and friend Casey Fahy denied that Leonard Peikoff had any role in PARC “at all, ever.” In the comment section to the same article, James and his wife (the "Magenta Hornet") commented and failed to correct Casey on this mistake.

Lest anyone think that I'm making this up, here is Casey:

"The repeated claim that this book represents the 'official' position of the Ayn Rand Institute is particularly amusing to me. When Valliant, a good friend of mine, wrote Part I of the book, he knew that the Ayn Rand Institute took a dim view of even mentioning the Brandens. When he published that part, on my own website, we both believed that doing so would jeopardize what relationship he had had with Leonard Peikoff. I can personally vouch for the fact that Jim did not consult with Peikoff or anyone else associated with ARI about the content of his book—at all, ever. As proof of this, when Dr. Peikoff did make Rand's papers available to him, Peikoff told Jim that his first reaction to the very idea of the project was, and I quote, 'Am I gonna have to pick a fight with Valliant now?' And, it was reading those original essays alone that convinced Peikoff to make Rand's notes available. Period."**

Best I can tell, Peikoff has never said he was involved in the editing of the book. In 2009 (after PARC was published), Peikoff was asked about Valliant (and Dr. Diana). His response:

"Now I have another question from the same person about two individual objectivists with a public profile. In a long question, he wants to know what I think of them, do I agree with them and my answer is I thoroughly approve of the intellectual battle waged by Jim Valliant and Diana Shay Shaw [Hsieh]. I admire the work of both to the extent that I know it."**

According to James, PARC will be republished by Fred Weiss next year with a new preface.

* https://www.youtube.com/watch?...

** http://rebirthofreason.com/Art...

*** https://peikoff.com/2009/08/24...

34 minutes ago, N. Parille said:

According to James, PARC will be republished by Fred Weiss next year with a new preface.

Neil,

Heh.

I didn't know Fred was so into charity.

Cause on the free market, he ain't getting his investment back.

Which brings up an interesting speculation. Who is actually funding the costs if a new edition actually happens? Valliant himself?

:)

Michael

3 hours ago, Neil Parille said:

Michael,

According to JV, Weiss will be publishing a reprint of the 2005 PARC with a new introduction.  If Valliant owns the rights, then it probably won't cost much money for Weiss to print it.

Neil,

True if he does print on demand.

Not so true if he runs off an edition of 3,000 copies or so.

That cost is not huge, but it's still money and I seriously doubt unit sales will cover it for a long, long time.

But who knows? I might be wrong and PARC makes it to the NYT bestseller list this go around.

:) 

Michael

I don't think Peikoff edited PARC, much if at all.  For example, Valliant says that Rand never met Barbara again after 1968.  Certainly Leonard would have heard of the 1981 meeting.

There is also the ethical issue of editing a book critiquing books you've sworn you'd never read.  Also, Jim mentions Brandens post -68 writings which I doubt Leonard read.

If anyone wants to know what a brazen liar Valliant is, he repeated his claim that Durban House (the book's publisher) was independent. 

Here is "Durban House" reviewing David Kelley's Truth and Toleration on Amazon.

Customer Review

Reviewed in the United States on July 21, 2002

Kelley endorses a concept of "tolerance" that includes the "toleration" of the comprehensive dishonesty of Nathaniel and Barbara Branden. A "Big-L" Libertarian is almost by definition one who uncritically embraces the Brandens or Rothbard in their dishonest slams on Ayn Rand, just as Kelley has now embraced the Brandens.
Politically, the valid concept is "rights." Morally, the concept of "tolerance" is meaningless. Debating, discussing or working with someone depends on having an honest colleague or rival to do it with, whatever you agree or disagree about. Nothing positive can come from cooperating with the dishonest. "Tolerating" the dishonest, in any non-political sense, means endorsing it -- voluntarily giving it the very credibility it does not deserve. Would Kelley debate flat-earth advocates or those who deny the Holocaust, if he found in a particular case, he wasn't totally sure whether the advocate was evading or not...?
22 people found this helpful
WWW.AMAZON.COM