BIG Embed Announcement

BIG Embed Announcement

I have been frustrated for some time that, on OL, you cannot easily embed articles, videos, posts, etc., from alt media sites.

Oh, on OL, the software is coded so automatic embeds from links for Facebook, Twitter and a couple of others in that social media mafia happen, but everyone else is shut out. And I can't authorize HTML for all OL members because of the security risks the IPB people advised about. I refuse to authorize it for me and not for thee since that, in my view, is unfair to OL members. So it's been a slog discussing and sharing items from "out there."

Well, I just discovered a paid plugin that embeds external links on OL, albeit not actual videos. But at this stage, who's complaining? I bought it and installed it. And it works.

All you have to do is paste in the link and it will retrieve images and text from the site where the link is at. For example, I want to paste a link for a Rumble video into a post, but I want it to be attractive, not just a text link.

The first thing I need to do is copy the link on Rumble (the best place is the URL field in the browser). Then just paste it into a post on OL. Then magic happens.

For example...

Here is the link text to a Rumble video (without being allowed to run):

https://rumble.com/vkswbu-episode-1151-state-legislators-have-the-power-to-take-elections-back.html

Now here is the same link text pasted in as a normal part of this present post. It automatically changes into the following.

QAsfc.qR4e-small-Episode-1151-State-Legi
RUMBLE.COM

We discuss Biden's polling and Mike Lindell's Cyber Symposium. Our guests are: Raynard Jackson, Rudy Giuliani, Mike Lindell, Richard Baris Stay ahead of the censors - Join us warroom.org/join Aired On

If you click on it, you will still leave OL and go to the site to see the video, but that's a lot easier and far less time consuming than the screenshot thing I was doing. 

For normal articles, here is a recent article from The Gateway Pundit. All I did was paste in the link and this happened.

IMG_1834-1.jpg
WWW.THEGATEWAYPUNDIT.COM

Remember when Newsom blamed Q Anon conspiracies, Proud Boys and white supremacists for the origin of the recall effort? It turns out Democrats, Independents and Republicans want him yanked from...

And social media competitors?

Well, here is a post from Gettr (the new Trump-friendly Twitter competitor).

out.jpg
GETTR.COM

"We can't get to scientific truth, if we can't discuss things." mRNA #vaccine Inventor Dr #RobertMalone, recently locked out of #LinkedIn a 2nd time, explains how #censorship is not conducive to scientific...

Woo hoo!

Life should get a lot easier for all of us now.

Let's just hope this plugin will update along with the forum when it updates. I am pretty sure it will.

Finally we have something good on the technical end.

:) 

Enjoy.

Michael

• Thanks 1

On 8/6/2021 at 3:37 PM, Michael Stuart Kelly said:

Now here is the same link text pasted in as a normal part of this present post. It automatically changes into the following.

QAsfc.qR4e-small-Episode-1151-State-Legi
RUMBLE.COM

We discuss Biden's polling and Mike Lindell's Cyber Symposium. Our guests are: Raynard Jackson, Rudy Giuliani, Mike Lindell, Richard Baris...

If you click on it, you will still leave OL and go to the site to see the video, but that's a lot easier and far less time consuming than the screenshot thing I was doing. 

This is a real neat addition to OL. It looks like the plug-in script "reads" what is called Open Graph notation on any given webpage.

For example:

<meta property="og:title" content="Title of the web page">
<meta property="og:site_name" content="Site Name">
<meta property="og:url" content="site.php">
<meta property="og:description" content="Description of the web page">
<meta property="og:type" content="website">
<meta property="og:image" content="image_for_page.pmg">

A link from the Bulwark: https://www.thebulwark.com/voting-machine-tampering-is-coming-from-inside-the-maga-house/ will embed the title, image, description and embedded link:

rig-it-rig-it-real-good-1024x768.jpg
WWW.THEBULWARK.COM

“The truth is, these are not very bright guys, and things got out of hand.” – Hal Holbrook After months of being promised by the former...

It works with any page that has OG notation in META tags (this is an old and extremely ugly page from my Michael Thompson fan pages collection -- which eventually grew so large and unwieldy that I had to abandon the project):

May16-PROMO-thumb.jpg
WSSCHERK.COM

Our days are dominated by stupid, our nights by fear and loathing. Then a spark appears. Fresh jumpsuits from the Grifting Idiot Collection

For more on the Open Graph protocol: https://ogp.me/

logo.png
OGP.ME

The Open Graph protocol enables any web page to become a rich object in a social graph.

• 1 month later...