Ayn Rand Called it about I-We - North Korea

Ayn Rand Called it about I-We - North Korea

In Anthem, nobody knows the word "I." They all say "we" when they need to refer to themselves.

Here is an interview of a North Korean refugee, Yeonmi Park, being interviewed by Tim Pool. In the interview, she said that for most thing, North Koreans do not use the word "I." They are instructed to say "we."

The video below is a 28 minute extract from a longer one, also given in this post.

NORTH KOREAN DEFECTOR SHARES HORRIFYING STORY OF LIFE IN NORTH KOREA AND HER GREAT ESCAPE TO AMERICA

image.png

Yeonmi said she left because of hunger, not ideology. She had no reference for ideology other than love Great Leader. She tells of her long journey, being sex-trafficked and so on. Then she came to the pertinent part, where I made a transcript. It starts around 16:30.

TIM POOL: But was there a point where they finally opened the doors and said, "Freedom is yours"? 

YEONMI PARK: Yeah. 

TIM POOL: What was that like?

YEONMI PARK: Scary. It was so painful. So scary. 

TIM POOL: Painful?

YEONMI PARK: Yeah. I mean like they remember... I remember, they said like for the first time, "So introduce yourself." 

And in North Korea, we don't say "I"... like it... we don't allow to say "I." We say like, "We like water," even though that's how...

TIM POOL: Like the meme. 

YEONMI PARK: It's not a meme. It's actually... 

TIM POOL: No no, there's a joke where we make fun of Communists by replacing the letter "i" with "we" or "our."

YEONMI PARK: Oh. They totally do that. 

TIM POOL: Wow. 

LYDIA: Really?

YEONMI PARK: Yeah. And then, like, nobody asks you what do you think in North Korea. Right? So they tell you, "Your favorite color is red because of revolutionary color. Your favorite country is North Korea because... 

LYDIA: Of course...

YEONMI PARK: "Your favorite food is this." Right? 

It's a heartbreaking story.

Here is the whole 2 hour interview on YouTube.

The Grand Lady called it and called it and called it...

Michael