The 2020 Presidential Election Tournament

3 hours ago, Dglgmut said:
21 hours ago, william.scherk said:

Yes, what about Kanye?  

Where are his voters on that map??

That map represents state by state Electoral College votes in a scenario favoured by Trump-positive election-watching wonks. A candidate must come first in a state's popular vote to be assigned the electors from that state**

You can make your own guess-map of Electoral College votes at 270toWin.

According to the Wikipedia article on Kanye West's campaign, he is on the ballot in Arkansas, Colorado, Idaho, Iowa, Kentucky, Louisiana, Minnesota, Mississippi, Oklahoma, Tennessee, Utah, Vermont.

1920px-Kanye_West_2020_Ballot_Access.svg

** Except for Nebraska and Maine, which split their EC votes

Edited by william.scherk
Added note about Nebraska and Maine

37 minutes ago, turkeyfoot said:

I had to prostrate myself for 1 hr before hearing the words from his own mouth.

TF,

It's like a different language. There is rhyme and reason in it. In other words, there is a reason he is so popular and is such a massive cultural influencer. That's not an accident. It's by design.

The way I have come to understand him (and this is probably incomplete since I don't study him) is in the presuppositions we all have when we use words.

Presuppositions 

Whenever we utter any statement or do anything social, there are countless presuppositions behind it. For example, to go unusual for the sake of clarity, if you meet a girl at a dance and say, "Hi," the presuppositions in your head and hers in that exchange automatically filters out things like inviting her to give a lecture on quantum physics at that dance or asking for her hand in marriage (except in jest) and so on. "Hi" probably means let's chat a little and see if we like each other enough to start a friendship or something. 

When we look at massively popular things like ideas or celebrities or sports or whatever, all of these come with a common set of presuppositions. Imagine talking about Islam from a fundamentalist Southern Baptist perspective to a fanatical Shiite Twelver from Iran. In two sentences, they will be at each other's throat--literally with guns and knives. That is due to the presuppositions, not necessarily to the actual words spoken.

btw - A presupposition per se can be good, bad or indifferent. 

Kanye

Kanye is a master at detecting the most popular presuppositions behind the most popular things, then making allusions to them and tying them to other ideas through metaphorical mashups.

That's why they look like nonsense, but resonate on a visceral level with huge segments of the public.

He is so talented, it's a good thing he landed in Christianity--which, by the way, is one of the biggest hidden presuppositions holding the black community together, even when they do gangsta rap. If he landed in Marxism, he would cause massive headaches in society.

On the capitalism side (and he is a capitalist), he runs an enormous successful billion-dollar plus business operation, which includes a lot more than music. I seriously doubt he does much stream-of-cultural-icon-consciousness speech when he is looking over his spreadsheets.

:) 

Kanye for Prez

He is serious about running for president and he certainly has the chops to put himself on that stage. Just look what he did short term.

But part of the traditional American character is a high value on straight talk. I don't think Kanye will be able to pull that off using his prophet pop-star persona. And even if he does, I'm not too sure practical people will go for it when they consider him running the military and things like that.

I do think he will help raise the quality of other candidates, though, by constantly whopping them upside the head with shame for their transgressions in an entertaining, not humiliating, manner. And he will inspire people to be better.

One thing is for sure. It's going to be quite a show. Kanye is something that could happen only in America. I mean that in the best way possible. His underlying universal themes (filtered mostly, but not always, through a black culture perspective) are self-help and can-do, and more recently, Christ. He is spot on when you begin to understand the metaphors and analogies, or at least ponder over them--you feel they are important even if you can't put your finger on why, and in a weird way, he is true to his vision and uncompromising as all get out. 

In more totalitarian cultures, I believe he would have been shot long ago. In America, he is a big shot and loved by millions.

Michael

President Trump seems a bit confused about state election laws ...

On 10/25/2020 at 4:35 PM, william.scherk said:

If by hideous chance or the biggest fraud in the universe Trump ends up "losing," I hope he will not even discuss conceding or "transitioning" until the various Secretaries of State overseeing the work of 10,000 county election boards certify results ... and maybe even until the Electors have finished casting 538 votes. 

The dates should be graven in stone. [previously posted link]

More about Kanye.

22 hours ago, turkeyfoot said:

In an interview last Saturday on The Joe Rogan Experience with Kanye West you have the unfiltered West at his best?/worst. What a mess that man is. "Literally was called by God."

I had to prostrate myself for 1 hr before hearing the words from his own mouth.

21 hours ago, tmj said:

I don't understand all the hubub around Kayne, but that hubub seems to have made him quite the man of means, and good for him.

What I got out of the podcast was that he wants to do the Bagwan Rashneesh , but in reverse, take a billion dollars and build some christian kibbutzs. Start a cult to spend a billion instead of use a cult to raise a fortune. He doesn't come across as a malevolent character and he seems to be coming from a place of 'goodness' , although perhaps  quite squirrelly .

I haven't seen evidence of 'genius' , but he isn't unintelligent.

20 hours ago, Michael Stuart Kelly said:

TF,

It's like a different language. There is rhyme and reason in it. In other words, there is a reason he is so popular and is such a massive cultural influencer. That's not an accident. It's by design.

The way I have come to understand him (and this is probably incomplete since I don't study him) is in the presuppositions we all have when we use words.

Presuppositions 

Whenever we utter any statement or do anything social, there are countless presuppositions behind it. For example, to go unusual for the sake of clarity, if you meet a girl at a dance and say, "Hi," the presuppositions in your head and hers in that exchange automatically filters out things like inviting her to give a lecture on quantum physics at that dance or asking for her hand in marriage (except in jest) and so on. "Hi" probably means let's chat a little and see if we like each other enough to start a friendship or something. 

When we look at massively popular things like ideas or celebrities or sports or whatever, all of these come with a common set of presuppositions. Imagine talking about Islam from a fundamentalist Southern Baptist perspective to a fanatical Shiite Twelver from Iran. In two sentences, they will be at each other's throat--literally with guns and knives. That is due to the presuppositions, not necessarily to the actual words spoken.

btw - A presupposition per se can be good, bad or indifferent. 

Kanye

Kanye is a master at detecting the most popular presuppositions behind the most popular things, then making allusions to them and tying them to other ideas through metaphorical mashups.

That's why they look like nonsense, but resonate on a visceral level with huge segments of the public.

He is so talented, it's a good thing he landed in Christianity--which, by the way, is one of the biggest hidden presuppositions holding the black community together, even when they do gangsta rap. If he landed in Marxism, he would cause massive headaches in society.

On the capitalism side (and he is a capitalist), he runs an enormous successful billion-dollar plus business operation, which includes a lot more than music. I seriously doubt he does much stream-of-cultural-icon-consciousness speech when he is looking over his spreadsheets.

Kanye for Prez

He is serious about running for president and he certainly has the chops to put himself on that stage. Just look what he did short term.

But part of the traditional American character is a high value on straight talk. I don't think Kanye will be able to pull that off using his prophet pop-star persona. And even if he does, I'm not too sure practical people will go for it when they consider him running the military and things like that.

I do think he will help raise the quality of other candidates, though, by constantly whopping them upside the head with shame for their transgressions in an entertaining, not humiliating, manner. And he will inspire people to be better.

One thing is for sure. It's going to be quite a show. Kanye is something that could happen only in America. I mean that in the best way possible. His underlying universal themes (filtered mostly, but not always, through a black culture perspective) are self-help and can-do, and more recently, Christ. He is spot on when you begin to understand the metaphors and analogies, or at least ponder over them--you feel they are important even if you can't put your finger on why, and in a weird way, he is true to his vision and uncompromising as all get out. 

In more totalitarian cultures, I believe he would have been shot long ago. In America, he is a big shot and loved by millions.

Michael

Here's a guy who said more or less what I said, but in different words.

Jonathan Pageau gets thinking in from the large patterns and metaphors perspective. I consider his channel to be one of the best I've seen on symbolism.

btw - I have not seen the interview between Kanye and Joe Rogan. Maybe I will, but I kinda know what Kanye is about. Three hours of floating above reality and only answering questions with patterns and examples is, from the perspective of not being in it, too daunting for me to start. It's not that I am afraid of it or anticipating pain or anything like that. It's more on the side of FOMO (Fear Of Missing Out). I have a lot of stuff I need to do and I don't want to miss what needs doing. Although Kanye's things are interesting and I love the way Joe Rogan interviews people, a three hour chunk of that will throw me off for the day. And I just can't afford a full day out in la-la land right now. :) 

(Did anyone get any value out of that last paragraph? I mean, My inner emotional landscape is super-interesting to me. But to others? :) )

Anyway, here is Jonathan's video.

Michael

From Rasmussen. White House Watch Trump 48%, Biden 47% Wednesday, October 28, 2020, President Trump has seesawed back into a one-point lead over Democrat Joe Biden in Rasmussen Reports’ daily White House Watch survey. The latest national telephone and online survey finds Trump edging Biden 48% to 47% among Likely U.S. Voters. Three percent (3%) prefer some other candidate, and two percent (2%) remain undecided. (To see survey question wording, click here.) On the last Wednesday before Election Day in 2016, Trump and Democratic candidate Hillary Clinton were tied at 44% apiece in Rasmussen Reports’ daily White House Watch.

Real Clear Politics has Trump up by a mere 0.4 percent in Florida.

Biden is killing it, I tell ya'.

For some reason I don't yet understand, I watched most of this video of today's rally by Biden in Broward County, Florida.

The full video is about 40 minutes long (38:55). But Biden is only starts coming on the ramp at about 13:31. Here are a couple of screenshots as he arrived at the podium. I circled him since these were overhead shots. (Production values you know. :) ) 

You can see Biden was swamped with the 300 or so cars there. :evil: 

image.png

Biden started talking at about 14:15 ended his speech at 38:55. That means his speech was less than 25 minutes long.

Here are a couple of screenshots of him ending and leaving surrounded by his adoring mob.

image.png

On a different note, Cher made a song for Biden. It makes you wanna drop everything, jump up, go get that victory for Biden, and vote. :evil: 

This is not a parody. Biden's rally actually was that and Cher actually did that.

President Trump must be trembling in his boots.

Michael

The fellow from Bar Rescue interviews President Trump (from Factbase):

• Like 1

Trump promises 'tremendous' stimulus package after election

I think he's going to do that irrespective of who wins and what.

President Trump loves the country.

Even if the House stays stuck on obstructing this, I read somewhere that President Trump has about $800 billion he can still use without Congress ruling over it. 

He openly said earlier he was not using these funds before the election because accusations of voter buying would arise. So any stimulus before the election has to be bi-partisan. And Pelosi had no intention of doing anything bipartisan unless it filled her pockets full of unrelated goodies to give her donors and bankrupt Democrat states and cities.

All that goes away as a threat after the election.

Michael

Notes from the New York Times on the Democrat Utopia waiting for America if Biden wins.

New York Nightmare: Man Falls Through Sidewalk Into Rat-Filled Chasm

On Saturday just past noon, Leonard Shoulders strolled up to a bus stop in the Belmont neighborhood of the Bronx. A handful of people stood around, waiting for their rides or looking down at their phones — an unremarkable scene.

But then a hole suddenly opened up on the sidewalk and Mr. Shoulders, 33, plunged into it. Stunned bystanders who rushed to the edge of the chasm faced a ghastly sight: Mr. Shoulders had dropped 12 to 15 feet into an underground vault teeming with rats.

“Rats crawling on him, he can’t move,” his brother, Greg White, told CBS New York. “He didn’t want to yell because he was afraid there were going to be rats inside his mouth.”

For about 30 minutes, Mr. Shoulders remained in the vault as firefighters tried to pull him out of the hole. Videos of the scene show him eventually being wheeled away on a stretcher by emergency workers. He suffered injuries to his head and arm, Mr. White said.

. . .

The episode brought together two sources of perpetual anxiety for many New York City pedestrians: the general danger posed by malfunctioning infrastructure and the city’s robust rat population.

We need to back off on so much planet-destroying infrastructure for humans and we need to make the world safe for rats. Let them come out into the sunshine just like we humans enjoy.

New York City thanks you, Mayor Bill de Blasio, for being the bigger man.

Now let's ramp this Democrat Utopia up to the federal level.

Don't forget. A vote for Biden/Harris is a vote for saving millions of helpless rats in America, and ultimately throughout the world.

Michael

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Michael Stuart Kelly said:

Notes from the New York Times on the Democrat Utopia waiting for America if Biden wins.

New York Nightmare: Man Falls Through Sidewalk Into Rat-Filled Chasm

Quote from the excerpt Michael posted:

"The episode brought together two sources of perpetual anxiety for many New York City pedestrians: the general danger posed by malfunctioning infrastructure and the city’s robust rat population."

NYC rats - the rodent kind:

In New York City, the rat population is about 25% the size of [the] human population – that’s about 2 million rats! Brown rats live for about 1 year. They begin mating at two or three months old, and produce litters of about a dozen “pups” every two months. Recently, the rat infestation has grown even faster than normal due to budget reductions and wasteful food disposal.

Rats were a concern in NYC back when I was still living there in the late 1970s.  I have no way of verifying the current figures given in the info piece I quoted from, but I imagine the extensive warren of tunnels under the city as teeming with rats (and cockroaches and....).

Ellen

Jules,

Kat, Sean and I voted early tonight. Trump of course and Republican straight down. However, some entries were only one party and others were Democrat or Green party.

The Chicago area sucks like that.

I wish you had put that picture up before we went out because, I swear, I would have written him in (I presume it's a him) rather than vote for some of the clowns they have around here.

I was pleased to vote against Kim Foxx, the other dog. She's the one who kept the Jussé Smoullé case running here in the Chicago area for the longest time. I have nothing against dogs. I just don't like that one.

You dog looks like he has far more character.

Michael

My pup is actually female!

Irony, when police take on a Rottie for training they always take males.  Easier to train.  They can readily be trained to go for and seize a perps gun arm.  A female on the other hand will indiscriminately shred a perp from top to bottom.   They make a much better home defence option and are fiercely loyal to their owners.  My Breeder has 4 shahund trained protection Rotties on patrol at all times(all 4 are females) plus usually 2 litters, and 7-8 breeding dogs.  Amazing place.  They have been breeding championship rotties for over 30 yrs!  I was amazed they live pretty close to me.  I thought I was going to have to import directly from Germany but was pleasantly surprised thanks to a tip from one of my vets.

6 hours ago, Ellen Stuttle said:

Rats were a concern in NYC back when I was still living there in the late 1970s. ... I imagine the extensive warren of tunnels under the city as teeming with rats (and cockroaches and....).

... mole people?

36 minutes ago, Mark said:

... mole people?

22 minutes ago, Jules Troy said:

Alligators, gotta watch out for them sumsobiches.

Um, no.  I was thinking of the sorts of small and smaller - down to microscopic and submicroscopic - organisms that live in damp brackish places.

There probably are real people who live in those tunnels.  I don't know to what extent the tunnels are patrolled trying to keep homeless people from taking up residence in them.  There must be labyrinthine miles of maze down there, some levels submerged in water.  A slimy muckish world beneath the towers of the city.

Ellen

13 hours ago, Jules Troy said:

A veritable smorgasbord of E-coli, dysentery and anthrax?

That's along the lines I was thinking of, although not so much anthrax, which is rare in the US.

Mark's reference to "mole people" got me curious.  (Curiosity is the curse of my existence.)

Here's one thing I found, a Narratively piece from 5 years ago about an abandoned train tunnel under Riverside Park:

Super Subcultures

The Truth About New York’s Legendary ‘Mole People’

Two decades after NYC sought to relocate its infamous tunnel-dwelling denizens, a years-long investigation reveals a few hardy souls still toiling and thriving beneath the city.

yIqqG6RSwGEbHe56p5jv_Header-illo.jpg
Story by Anthony Taille  ·  Illustrations by Anthony Taille  ·  Edited by Brendan Spiegel   ·  10.29.15

Ellen

This is just a feel good memo for Trump supporters.

Trump to go Scorched Earth after the Election

image.png

This guy has been banned off of YouTube and God know where else.

But he stays on top of real info and has reliable sources.

Apparently, there is a Trump chopping block list he is going to start executing just as soon as he is reelected. I'm supposed to say "if he gets reelected" but that just sounds all wrong.

The list starts with Christopher Wray and Gina Haspel. Also, President Trump has already set it up so that he can fire low performing federal employees. And he overhauled the H-1B1 visas to favor employing Americans at big tech. And on and on.

He's not just promising or hinting that he will do this stuff. He has already acted on much of it. And, according to this guy, Stephen Miller has a drawer full of Executive Orders dealing with similar matters just waiting for him to sign after he gets reelected.

In these first four years, President Trump has gotten a feel for who is against him from the Deep State orientation. They are going to be shown the door right from the start in his second term.

Even AG Barr and Durham are being considered.

It's a heart-warmer.

Michael

Quoting President Trump again:

"It would be very very proper and very nice if a winner were declared on November 3rd, instead of counting ballots for two weeks, which is totally inappropriate and I don't believe that that's by our laws. I don't believe that. So we'll see what happens.”

OLers who may accept that network "Decision Desks" are the folks who project winners, and that state laws supersede the President's beliefs -- may also be interested in a relatively straightforward page at 538 -- where schedules are listed and explained. 

When To Expect Election Results In Every State.

See also: Show your work: AP plans to explain vote calling to public.