Sign in on phone

merjet

I saw a second problem on my phone.

Here is the start of one post on the All Activities page:

Deep State Unraveling
ThatGuy replied to Michael Stuart Kelly's topic in 4 - Politics

If I click on the first line on my desktop, navigation is to that post.  If I tap on the first line on my phone, navigation is to the first post for the topic, even if the topic has multiple pages.

Guessing, these two problem are the result of an Invision Community upgrade, er downgrade, that affects only some phones.

6 hours ago, merjet said:

Anybody know what the problem is? Anybody else experience this?

I don't want to sign out, in case I have the same issue. The previous upgrade removed a layer of access to OL's hindquarters for my Android phone display. 

I added varied hindquarters links to my signature file.  I can add a link to "Log In" if I can figure out how to do that. Then you could I hope just click that link.

Online Users | Inbox | Blogs | WSS | MSK | Ellen | Jules | Korben | Deanna | Merlin | Tony | Peter  

Edited by william.scherk
Added sig file slug

18 hours ago, william.scherk said:

I can add a link to "Log In" if I can figure out how to do that. Then you could I hope just click that link.

I am signed in now after using your workaround. I don't see how to sign out.

The post navigation from the All Activity page is still bad.

• Upvote 2

On 11/25/2020 at 8:55 AM, Michael Stuart Kelly said:

On this end I have not detected problem of this nature.

Michael, do you ever use a cellphone browswer to read OL?  The problems with missing navigation options are only happening in the mobile (cell/tablet) displays.

On 11/26/2020 at 4:04 AM, merjet said:

The post navigation from the All Activity page is still bad.

I think I was able to help Merlin navigate, as there are two links/URL at each comment in mobile displays of the OL code ... here is the key to getting where you want to on smaller displays:

2020-11-28%2016_44_45-merlin02.png

8 minutes ago, william.scherk said:

I think I was able to help Merlin navigate, as there are two links/URL at each comment in mobile displays of the OL code ... here is the key to getting where you want to on smaller displays:

Thanks. I had not tried tapping on the time stamp line.

• Smile 1

1 hour ago, william.scherk said:

Michael, do you ever use a cellphone browswer to read OL?  The problems with missing navigation options are only happening in the mobile (cell/tablet) displays.

William,

I do not. But I am doing a site for a non-O-Land related project and the program I am using (WordPress - Kadence Theme) lets you format content differently for desktop, tablet and smartphone.

I have noticed during this the automatic hiding of links and elimination of signals as the screen gets smaller--similar to what you posted in the rest of your post.

I've come to believe that there are shared habits emerging where people are simply supposed to know how to do things without any indication. I think it started with swiping screens. If you have never used a smartphone before, you don't know about swiping screens. That makes it near impossible to do things until you learn about it. And it's hard for a beginner to find anything about it. He wants to use the damn phone, not read a 300 page technical manual to learn how to do something basic.

I suspect the smartphone developers are using this same mentality in other normal functions and assuming users just somehow know. They don't see the world through the eyes of their users. They only see the world through their own eyes and, man, are they dazzled by what they come up with... To themselves, they are awesome and have no problem understanding how to use the device at all... :)

btw - This goes for both sides. Sometimes Apple or Android make changes and simply expect apps to comply without telling anyone.

Michael

1 hour ago, Michael Stuart Kelly said:
2 hours ago, william.scherk said:

William,

I do not. [...]

I suspect the smartphone developers are using this same mentality in other normal functions and assuming users just somehow know. They don't see the world through the eyes of their users. They only see the world through their own eyes and, man, are they dazzled by what they come up with... To themselves, they are awesome and have no problem understanding how to use the device at all... :)

btw - This goes for both sides. Sometimes Apple or Android make changes and simply expect apps to comply without telling anyone.

Michael

I understand that if you hadn't had the mobile experience, you would miss the frustration.

I think that we've got useful work-arounds for me and Jules and Merlin (we each are "mobile" or away from our desktop/laptops at different times of the day and week, I expect). The problems were among others, no way to Log-in, no way to visit Messenger on mobile/table displays. These problems occured immediately after the last but one upgrade.  

There are a couple of other minor unfixed issues that I found at forum-owner/user forums noted earlier in your topic thread. But for now I think we've have achieved mobile function solutions.  Maybe when the next softward update comes, the issues frustrating mobile users will have been seen to.