Cultural Disconnect

Judith

Victor,

Screw the camp songs, I'll supply the alcohol and the marshmallows and the accelerant needed to really get a fire going. Oy

Brant,

I'm sure you didn't mean it in the way you were speaking. I took it as your meaning a professional reference being used.

Angie

40 years ago I was undergoing my medical training. For that purpose the Merck was absolutely worthless.

--Brant

Peter: "Ellen -I hope your husband is feeling better and will soon be well enough to photograph."

Not fair! You stole the post I was about to send.... along with flowers for Larry.

Barbara

Te-he. Flowers would probably be contraindicated at this time, considering that he's already suffering with a wretched bout of fall allergies. (A lot of allergy sufferers round these parts are complaining that it's the worst fall-allergies season they can recall.) But I'll convey your felicitations.

Ellen

[Edit] PS: And then he's going to say, "HUH! How did the subject of my being ill come up?" This is gonna need some 'splainin'.

___

Edited by Ellen Stuttle

• 1 month later...

~ Grey's Anatomy is a play-on-words metaphor re the book Gray's Anatomy centering around the anatomy-of-the-life of the main protagonist, Grey, a med-intern...and her competitive friends/co-learners.

~ It's 'non-episodic', where there's oft references to previous developments.

~ What I've seen is...so-so as a time-killer. If you're working in Antarctica.

LLAP

J:D

Edited by John Dailey

Geez, there are only two other people who know what Grey's Anatomy is. I'm watching it right now. Not my fault, my mom watches it, computer is facing tv. I watch it by default. So, here's how it breaks down:

Meredith Grey is a medical intern who pretty much sucks at life. She meets a random guy in a bar, hooks up, and it turns out to be the surgeon who works above her. Forbidden relationship. That would be Doctor Shepherd (a.k.a. McDreamy). Doctor Shepherd as it turns out had a wife. Then we find out Dr. Shepherd's wife (also a Dr. Sheperd) had an affair which is why he left.

Annoying side plot: two of the other interns of have a love triangle with a patient and the patient dies sending the girl in the love triangle spiraling into depression, other doctor that Dr Shepherd (the girl) had an affair (also the male doctor shepherd's x best friend) with moves and starts working at the hospital, and Meredith has a bunch of ill-advised and sometimes comedic one night stands, one of which puts her in bed with her good friend and fellow intern that is emotionally really stupid.

You want a good show, watch House. If you practice(d) medicine, watch House. If you do not want a soap opera and prefer medical mysteries, watch House.

Edit: You want an all-around amazing tv show filled with suspense, watch 24.

Edited by Jeff Kremer

Meredith Grey is a medical intern who pretty much sucks at life. She meets a random guy in a bar, hooks up, and it turns out to be the surgeon who works above her. Forbidden relationship. That would be Doctor Shepherd (a.k.a. McDreamy). Doctor Shepherd as it turns out had a wife. Then we find out Dr. Shepherd's wife (also a Dr. Sheperd) had an affair which is why he left.

Are you serious? There's a guy who's got a name like McDreamy? They really call him that?!?

You want a good show, watch House. If you practice(d) medicine, watch House. If you do not want a soap opera and prefer medical mysteries, watch House.

Isn't that that show about how to redo old houses? On PBS? Doesn't sound very exciting to me.

Edit: You want an all-around amazing tv show filled with suspense, watch 24.

Okay, that message is coming through loud and clear. Now that I'm on vacation and not going anywhere, maybe I'll find the time to rent the video.

Judith

Guys; You maybe interested to know that Entertainment Weekly has named the cast of Grey's Anatomy number one on their year end list. After the discussion I don't think I'll watch it. Number 2 was Helen Mirren for her role in The Queen. She played Ayn Rand in the Showtime movie some years ago and won an Emmy.

Quick comment; Now that I know what is going on in Grey I will continue to miss it. Jeff; you are right about House. I has a great cast and well written shows.

Wise man.

Are you serious? There's a guy who's got a name like McDreamy? They really call him that?!?

Nickname.

Isn't that that show about how to redo old houses? On PBS? Doesn't sound very exciting to me.

*Takes deep breath* House, named after the main protagonist Dr. Gregory House, is a medical drama. Dr. House and his team of three other, good but less qualified, subordinates (Foreman [black male], Cameron [white, young, attractive, female], and Chase[Australian male], physical appearance is important because of subplots and House's jokes) try to work out strange medical mysteries. This is the main focus of the show. Comic relief is supplied by House's wit and misanthropic nature.

There are a few minor subplots, most of which are scarcely mentioned. There is Doctor Cutty's, House's boss, continual inability to get pregnant and desire to be a mother, Dr. Cameron's crush on Dr. House, and Dr. House's (contested by him) vikidin addiction brought on because of a painful surgery done to his leg. The surgery has left him reliant on a cane too walk, and chronic pain in his leg. He uses vikidin to stop the pain, but those around him believe that he has become addicted. He has recently been arrested for possession of drugs by a cop that he angered because he refused to treat the cop.

Okay, that message is coming through loud and clear. Now that I'm on vacation and not going anywhere, maybe I'll find the time to rent the video.

Yes, it's been brought to my attention that I tend to lack a certain subtlety at times.

*Takes deep breath* House, named after the main protagonist Dr. Gregory House, is a medical drama.

:blush: Oh. Okay, I was thinking of "This Old House." (I think.)

Yes, it's been brought to my attention that I tend to lack a certain subtlety at times.

:D That's okay -- I do too.

Judith