Bruce Lee and his daughter

turkeyfoot

Bruce Lee: "The medicine for my suffering I had within me from the very beginning, but I did not take it. My ailment came from within myself, but I did not observe it until this moment. Now I see that I will never find the light unless, like the candle, I am my own fuel."

Shannon Lee, Bruce Lee's daughter. After her brothers death from a prop gun she found comfort in her fathers words. 

"How might you find the medicine for your own suffering?" The ailment came from within myself but I didn't observe it until this moment. That I have suddenly put my fate in my own hands and if you are willing to take up the mantle of healing yourself being your own fuel, being your own light, then you can shift your perspective and you forge your own path."

"For the first time in my life, it occurred to me that everything was in my own hands. Through my father's words, I was able to come to terms with the fact that I was waiting for something to rescue me from this situation (shades of Nathaniel Branden) of grief and depression. But life doesn't offer up some magic cure. So I asked myself, "How can you change how you feel? How can something from the outside change this loss and this grief?" I was the only person who could make friends with that, who could go deeply into that notion and explore it and come out on the other side. My father's words helped me truly ask myself, "How might you find the medicine for your own suffering?"