Current Riots in America (June 2020)

On 7/13/2020 at 6:25 PM, Michael Stuart Kelly said:

I think this thread is going to die, now.

Die dead and deceased.

Not because the rioting stopped.

It didn't.

It's because the fake news mainstream media has put a blackout on covering riots.

Well, I was wrong.

The fake news media is dead on reporting this, but things like the following keep happening and there is no way to keep them from going viral all over the Internet.

This one is hilarious.

🙂

Michael

And there's this:

With a later statement by U.S. Customs and Border Protection (CBP).

Statement on CBP Response in Portland, Oregon

Release Date: July 17, 2020

"While the U.S. Customs and Border Protection (CBP) respects every American’s right to protest peacefully, violence and civil unrest will not be tolerated.  Violent anarchists have organized events in Portland over the last several weeks with willful intent to damage and destroy federal property, as well as injure federal officers and agents. These criminal actions will not be tolerated.

CBP agents had information indicating the person in the video was suspected of assaults against federal agents or destruction of federal property.  Once CBP agents approached the suspect, a large and violent mob moved towards their location.  For everyone’s safety, CBP agents quickly moved the suspect to a safer location for further questioning.  The CBP agents identified themselves and were wearing CBP insignia during the encounter. The names of the agents were not displayed due to recent doxing incidents against law enforcement personnel who serve and protect our country.

The Department of Homeland Security (DHS) and its components will continue to work tirelessly to reestablish law and order.  The Federal Protective Service (FPS) is the lead government agency that CBP personnel are supporting.  CBP personnel have been deployed to Portland in direct support of the Presidential Executive Order and the newly established DHS Protecting American Communities Task Force (PACT).  CBP law enforcement personnel have been trained and cross designated under FPS legal authority 40 U.S.C. § 1315."

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

U.S. Customs and Border Protection is the unified border agency within the Department of Homeland Security charged with the management, control and protection of our nation's borders at and between official ports of entry. CBP is charged with securing the borders of the United States while enforcing hundreds of laws and facilitating lawful trade and travel.

Last modified: July 17, 2020

Michael

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Michael Stuart Kelly said:

And there's this:

With a later statement by U.S. Customs and Border Protection (CBP).

Statement on CBP Response in Portland, Oregon

Michael

Thanks for the find. I was wondering if this was real or a "false flag". It's been trending on twitter, being depicted as "Gestapo" tactics (people disappearing in the night in unmarked cars), and Pelosi called it a Trump fascist tactic. (Projection, I know.) But it was also being speculated that it was staged by Antifa themselves.

TG,

Here's another thing that is going around in a total misleading manner. I'm too lazy to look up the links right now, but based on what I say below, you can find them easily.

The item going around is that Bank of America is donating one billion dollars to Black Lives Matter.

Actually. BoA is donating donating one billion dollars over four years to improving poor minority neighborhoods with focus on developing the economy (jobs and small businesses). Google it and you will see the press releases.

I love Lou Dobbs, but he was the source of the false rumor. Yesterday he or a guest(s) (I didn't see the show, so I don't know for sure) claimed BoA and several other major companies were making huge donations to BLM. Later, Lou tweeted out that this information was presented on his show, that it is incorrect, and apologized to each company for the error. If you look for the tweet, it's in Lou Dobb's Twitter account and it will be somewhere around 24 hours before the time stamp on this post.

So there. We have an example where the pro-Trump side was the bad guy to show that this isn't a partisan complaint, but one about the truth.

(Well, there's this. The pro-Trump side owns up and corrects itself and the anti-Trump side doesn't even say, "Oops,"--they just jump onto the next lie.)

The fake news going around is simply insufferable. I don't believe anything I read anymore until I verify it. And even then...

Michael

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Michael Stuart Kelly said:

The fake news going around is simply insufferable. I don't believe anything I read anymore until I verify it. And even then...

Michael

As the meme goes, is anything real? Or is it's all cake? :D

• Like 1

5 hours ago, ThatGuy said:

As the meme goes, is anything real? Or is it's all cake? :D

TG,

There is no bread for the masses?

Don't be silly.

Let them eat cake!

But, as the guy in the video learned, beware what you wish for.

And do try to keep your head about you.

🙂

Or as applied to the fake news media, if it looks like a duck, walks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, it's a fish.

🙂 

Michael

• Like 1

A whole bunch of white kids looted an Amazon store yesterday.

I think the culture of corporate wokeness is about to change. The idea of mob rule is pretty fragile in our time of technology... a lot of bubbles are going to be burst.

Here in Chicago, Mayor Lightweight, after blustering nonstop that Trump better stay out of Chicago or else, backtracks. Now she's like, "Of course the Feds can come in." (She wants Fed money, that's her real motivation.)

She's snarling as she backtracks, but action-wise, she's been potty-trained.

And, her real name is Lightfoot, but I don't like that name. I like the one I used. 🙂 

Chicago Mayor Confirms White House Deploying Federal Agents to City

God, how I dislike this place.

Kat and I gotta get outta here.

We're actually making plans...

Michael

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Michael Stuart Kelly said:

Kat and I gotta get outta here.

Sooner the better, imo.  Not that any place will be "safe" - but the Chicago area seems pretty guaranteed to become a war zone.

Ellen

• Like 2

I think people who value order should allocate and concentrate wherever makes sense and leave the anarchists and their enablers unopposed. Staying safe is the best thing good people can do right now (aside from those on the front lines potentially saving lives).

3 hours ago, Michael Stuart Kelly said:

I would move south, to better weather. And even if Florida is the first place to come to mind, there are parts of Texas near the gulf that are excellent places and relatively cheap. People are moving out of Cal and NY too, especially people well off. Imagine paying a million dollars for a house or condo that only costs less than a quarter of that in a better place. 

“Imprimis,” the magazine of Hillsdale College had an interesting article by Heather MacDonald. Here is an excerpt. “Over the last four months, Americans have lived through what is arguably the most consequential period of government malfeasance in U.S. history. Public officials’ overreaction to the novel coronavirus put American cities into a coma; those same officials’ passivity in the face of widespread rioting threatens to deliver the coup de grace. Together, these back- to -back governmental failures will transform the American polity and cripple urban life for decades.”

3 hours ago, Ellen Stuttle said:

Sooner the better, imo.  Not that any place will be "safe" - but the Chicago area seems pretty guaranteed to become a war zone.

Ellen

Ellen,

It sure looks like it will become a war zone. Here in Evanston, though, it's mostly peaceful except for a few Kontrol Freak Karens. 🙂 Other than those tortured souls, who tend to be upper-middle-class to upper class white women, I doubt it will get dangerous here.

But the cultural environment sucks. The BLM stuff is everywhere. Stores have arrows on the floor and waiting lines to get in. Muffled paranoia and incipient outrage seem to be the predominant emotions. And, oddly enough, when the weather changes, people get really aggressive and rude. Social distancing goes right out the window as they hurriedly bump into you and snarl. Driving is a mess at those times. It's really unpleasant to live around.

Kat is fed up even more than I am. She works in downtown Chicago. That's not a factor so far because the company she works at is telling their employees to work from home and use a Microsoft videoconferencing app for meetings. We don't know how long this will last, though. I imagine it will be good for a few more months.

But it's time for a change. I'm tired of living around progressives. They are generally good people (and they are) until a hot-button topic comes up. They they turn on a dime from Dr. Jekyll into Mr. Hyde. I'm sick and tired of guarding what I say all the time, and wearing that fucking mask, to keep from being hassled by strangers. I'm not afraid of them and, when engaged, you know me. 🙂 But who needs the prospect of that bullshit all the time?

I want some friendly live-and-let-live people as neighbors. Warm caring people. Gun owners. And I want a state government that is not nanny-state. Kat, who is about as far from racist as you can get, wants to live in a place where people don't try to shame you nonstop and talk about the long-suffering plight of the blacks all the time as if we were still in the 1800s. 

(She needs a much bigger garden than we have, too. She loves to plant flowers and vegetables. 🙂 )

So we're looking.

Michael

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Peter said:

“Imprimis,” the magazine of Hillsdale College had an interesting article by Heather MacDonald. Here is an excerpt. “Over the last four months, Americans have lived through what is arguably the most consequential period of government malfeasance in U.S. history. Public officials’ overreaction to the novel coronavirus put American cities into a coma; those same officials’ passivity in the face of widespread rioting threatens to deliver the coup de grace. Together, these back- to -back governmental failures will transform the American polity and cripple urban life for decades.”

https://imprimis.hillsdale.edu/four-months-unprecedented-government-malfeasance/

27 minutes ago, Michael Stuart Kelly said:

The BLM stuff is everywhere.

Interjecting.  I haven't read the whole post yet, but that leapt out with its following your statement that the "few Kontrol Freak Karens [...] tend to be upper-middle-class to upper class white women."

As I've mentioned, I live in a neighborhood which is about 95% black, mostly Caribbean-Island-descended people.  There is not one "Black Lives Matter" placard in the yard of any of my black neighbors.  One neighbor, who lives next door to Larry's and my house, used to own a mom-and-pop grocery store.  (He sold it a few years ago - he's getting on in age, and the daily grind of running the store had become too much.)  I haven't actually gotten into a conversation with him about the rioters, but I can easily imagine what he'd have to say about them.

Meanwhile, in West Hartford, which is the wealthiest community in the Greater Hartford complex and is where many of the people in the state government, and many prominent business people and university people, live, and is predominantly white, the "Black Lives Matter" placards are thick.

Ellen

10 minutes ago, Michael Stuart Kelly said:

Well, here comes the cavalry.

And on the light side (not lightfoot side 🙂 ), here comes the Babylon Bee.

Chicago Mayor Hires Gangs To Spell Out 'Trump Is Bad' With Bullet Holes

article-6623-1.jpg

Chicago Mayor Lori Lightfoot just owned Trump with a powerful, epic clapback as the two politicians fire insults back and forth. She commissioned several local gangs to spell out the message, "TRUMP IS BAD" in bullet holes.

"This powerful message of love and harmony shows that Chicago is united against Trump's brand of hate and violence," Lightfoot said at the unveiling of the mural. "We will not tolerate any of Trump's hate in our city."

At that very moment, Lightfoot suddenly bent backward and dodged several bullets fired by rival gangs as though she were Neo in The Matrix. "As you can see, our city is one of peace and love and tolerance."

All the gang members who shot the mural into existence are now dead from gang violence, but their message will live on as a powerful reminder that Chicago will not stoop to Trump's rhetoric.

Not to be outdone, Trump has instructed the military to spell out "CHICAGO IS STUPID" with bombs dropped on Chicago.

LOL...

🙂

Michael

• Like 1

I want some friendly live-and-let-live people as neighbors. Warm caring people. Gun owners. And I want a state government that is not nanny-state. Kat, who is about as far from racist as you can get, wants to live in a place where people don't try to shame you nonstop and talk about the long-suffering plight of the blacks all the time as if we were still in the 1800s.

LOL.  Leave out the sentence about a non-nanny-state government and the rest describes the neighborhood I live in (where most of my neighbors are black).

(She needs a much bigger garden than we have, too. She loves to plant flowers and vegetables. 🙂)

I'm not into growing flowers and vegetables.  My thing is trees and bushes.  We have some wonderful specimens of both on our property, and I nurture them.  Many of my neighbors, though, are into growing colorful displays of flowers.  One street in particular, the street I take when I walk to town center, is a floral feast for the eyes in the summer.  I think that Kat would like this area.

Ellen

9 hours ago, Michael Stuart Kelly said:

Ellen,

It sure looks like it will become a war zone. Here in Evanston, though, it's mostly peaceful except for a few Kontrol Freak Karens. 🙂 Other than those tortured souls, who tend to be upper-middle-class to upper class white women, I doubt it will get dangerous here.

But the cultural environment sucks. The BLM stuff is everywhere. Stores have arrows on the floor and waiting lines to get in. Muffled paranoia and incipient outrage seem to be the predominant emotions. And, oddly enough, when the weather changes, people get really aggressive and rude. Social distancing goes right out the window as they hurriedly bump into you and snarl. Driving is a mess at those times. It's really unpleasant to live around.

Kat is fed up even more than I am. She works in downtown Chicago. That's not a factor so far because the company she works at is telling their employees to work from home and use a Microsoft videoconferencing app for meetings. We don't know how long this will last, though. I imagine it will be good for a few more months.

But it's time for a change. I'm tired of living around progressives. They are generally good people (and they are) until a hot-button topic comes up. They they turn on a dime from Dr. Jekyll into Mr. Hyde. I'm sick and tired of guarding what I say all the time, and wearing that fucking mask, to keep from being hassled by strangers. I'm not afraid of them and, when engaged, you know me. 🙂 But who needs the prospect of that bullshit all the time?

(She needs a much bigger garden than we have, too. She loves to plant flowers and vegetables. 🙂 )

So we're looking.

Michael

How about a greenhouse?

--Brant

come to Arizona, Tucson for comfort and Phoenix for business

2 hours ago, Brant Gaede said:

How about a greenhouse?

Brant,

That would work, but it's not possible where we live.

Actually, there is a greenhouse a flew blocks from us. But it's private and being used for products. Here's a screenshot from a Google maps overhead view.

image.png

Also, there is a collective garden patch in a park across the street, but that is nowhere near satisfying for what Kat wants. In fact, that is an invitation to conflict. 🙂 

Michael