60-69 years old:3.6%

50-59 years old:1.3%

40-49 years old:0.4%

30-39 years old:0.2%

20-29 years old:0.2%

10-19 years old:0.2%

0-9 years old:no fatalities

Subject: Stanford Notes on Coronavirus

The new Coronavirus may not show sign of infection for many days. How can you know if you are infected?  By the time you have fever and/or cough and go to the hospital, the lung is usually 50% fibrosis.  

Taiwan experts provide a simple self-check that we can do every morning:  Take a deep breath and hold it for more than 10 seconds. If you do this successfully without coughing, without discomfort, stiffness or tightness, there is no fibrosis in the lungs; it basically indicates no infection. In critical times, please self-check every morning in an environment with clean air. 

Serious excellent advice by Japanese doctors treating COVID-19 cases: Everyone should ensure your mouth & throat are moist, never dry. Take a few sips of water every 15 minutes at least. Why?  Even if the virus gets into your mouth, drinking water or other liquids will wash them down through your throat and into the stomach. Once there, your stomach acid will kill all the virus. If you don't drink enough water regularly, the virus can enter your windpipe and then the lungs. That's very dangerous.

Also:
1. If you have a runny nose and sputum, you have a common cold.
2. Coronavirus pneumonia is a dry cough with no runny nose. 
3. This new virus is not heat-resistant and will be killed by a temperature of just 26/27 degrees C.  (About 77 degrees F.)  It hates the Sun. 
4. If someone sneezes with it, it goes about 10 feet before it drops to the ground and is no longer airborne. 
5. If it drops on a metal surface it will live for at least 12 hours - so if you come into contact with any metal surface, wash your hands as soon as you can with a bacterial soap. 
6. On fabric it can survive for 6-12 hours. normal laundry detergent will kill it. 
7. Drinking warm water is effective for all viruses. Try not to drink liquids with ice. 
8. Wash your hands frequently as the virus can only live on your hands for 5-10 minutes, but - a lot can happen during that time - you can rub your eyes, pick your nose unwittingly and so on. 
9. You should also gargle as a prevention. A simple solution of salt in warm water will suffice. 
10. Can't emphasize enough - drink plenty of water! (NB: not beer or scotch. RCA)

THE SYMPTOMS:

1. It will first infect the throat, so you'll have a sore throat lasting 3/4 days 

2. The virus then blends into a nasal fluid that enters the trachea and then the lungs,
causing pneumonia. This takes about 5/6 days further. 

3. With the pneumonia comes high fever and difficulty in breathing. 

4. The nasal congestion is not like the normal kind. You feel like you're drowning. It's imperative you then seek immediate attention.

Virologist/pathologist advice on preventing the spread of the Corona Virus. 

Dr. James Robb is a consulting pathologist at the National Cancer Institute. Among the first molecular virologists in the world to work on this category of viruses back in the 1970s, he also knows how to translate his expertise into practical advice.

Lawrence Tribe and his wife Elizabeth decided to share this missive widely among family and friends. Here's Dr. Robb’s advice to his colleagues:

Date: February 26, 2020 at 2:35:50 PM EST

Subject: What I am doing for the upcoming COVID-19 (coronavirus) pandemic
Dear Colleagues,

As some of you may recall, when I was a professor of pathology at the University of California San Diego, I was one of the first molecular virologists in the world to work on coronaviruses (the 1970s). I was the first to demonstrate the number of genes the virus contained. Since then, I have kept up with the coronavirus field and its multiple clinical transfers into the human population (e.g., SARS, MERS), from different animal sources.

The current projections for its expansion in the US are only probable, due to continued insufficient worldwide data, but it is most likely to be widespread in the US by mid to late March and April.

Here is what I have done and the precautions that I take and will take. These are the same precautions I currently use during our influenza seasons, except for the mask and gloves.:

1) NO HANDSHAKING! Use a fist bump, slight bow, elbow bump, etc.
2) Use ONLY your knuckle to touch light switches. elevator buttons, etc.. Lift the gasoline dispenser with a paper towel or use a disposable glove.
3) Open doors with your closed fist or hip - do not grasp the handle with your hand, unless there is no other way to open the door. Especially important on bathroom and post office/commercial doors.
4) Use disinfectant wipes at the stores when they are available, including wiping the handle and child seat in grocery carts.
5) Wash your hands with soap for 10-20 seconds and/or use a greater than 60% alcohol-based hand sanitizer whenever you return home from ANY activity that involves locations where other people have been.
6) Keep a bottle of sanitizer available at each of your home's entrances. AND in your car for use after getting gas or touching other contaminated objects when you can't immediately wash your hands.
7) If possible, cough or sneeze into a disposable tissue and discard. Use your elbow only if you have to. The clothing on your elbow will contain infectious virus that can be passed on for up to a week or more!

What I have stocked in preparation for the pandemic spread to the US:

1) Latex or nitrile latex disposable gloves for use when going shopping, using the gasoline pump, and all other outside activity when you come in contact with contaminated areas.

Note: This virus is spread in large droplets by coughing and sneezing. This means that the air will not infect you! BUT all the surfaces where these droplets land are infectious for about a week on average - everything that is associated with infected people will be contaminated and potentially infectious. The virus is on surfaces and you will not be infected unless your unprotected face is directly coughed or sneezed upon.
This virus only has cell receptors for lung cells (it only infects your lungs) The only way for the virus to infect you is through your nose or mouth via your hands or an infected cough or sneeze onto or into your nose or mouth.

2) Stock up now with disposable surgical masks and use them to prevent you from touching your nose and/or mouth (We touch our nose/mouth 90X/day without knowing it!). This is the only way this virus can infect you - it is lung-specific. The mask will not prevent the virus in a direct sneeze from getting into your nose or mouth - it is only to keep you from touching your nose or mouth.

3) Stock up now with hand sanitizers and latex/nitrile gloves (get the appropriate sizes for your family). The hand sanitizers must be alcohol-based and greater than 60% alcohol to be effective.

4) Stock up now with zinc lozenges. These lozenges have been proven to be effective in blocking coronavirus (and most other viruses) from multiplying in your throat and nasopharynx. Use as directed several times each day when you begin to feel ANY "cold-like" symptoms beginning. It is best to lie down and let the lozenge dissolve in the back of your throat and nasopharynx. Cold-Eeze lozenges is one brand available, but there are other brands available.
I, as many others do, hope that this pandemic will be reasonably contained, BUT I personally do not think it will be. Humans have never seen this (edited: animal)-associated virus before and have no internal defense against it.

Tremendous worldwide efforts are being made to understand the molecular and clinical virology of this virus. Unbelievable molecular knowledge about the genomics, structure, and virulence of this virus has already been achieved. BUT, there will be NO drugs or vaccines available this year to protect us or limit the infection within us. Only symptomatic support is available.

I hope these personal thoughts will be helpful during this potentially catastrophic pandemic. You are welcome to share

1 hour ago, Ellen Stuttle said:

Taiwan experts provide a simple self-check that we can do every morning:  Take a deep breath and hold it for more than 10 seconds. If you do this successfully without coughing, without discomfort, stiffness or tightness, there is no fibrosis in the lungs; it basically indicates no infection. In critical times, please self-check every morning in an environment with clean air.

A correction to that statement.  Coughing upon holding your breath is more likely due just to irritation and secretions (e.g., from allergies).  However, no coughing with the held-breath test is a good sign.

Ellen

Snopes says the hold your breath test is false. However, Snopes is not wholly reliable. Relying on ITEP, a Snopes article by the same author erred on Amazon's income taxes. On the other hand, following the preventive actions of "Dr. James Robb" will likely help and not hurt. Relying on what I've read, shortness of breath is a major symptom. Happily, my breath gets a better test nearly every day, since I run 5 days a week and do weights the other two. So if I do have shortness of breath, it will be quickly apparent. 

Emphases added.

12 hours ago, Ellen Stuttle said:

Subject: Stanford Notes on Coronavirus

The new Coronavirus may not show sign of infection for many days. How can you know if you are infected?  By the time you have fever and/or cough and go to the hospital, the lung is usually 50% fibrosis.  

Serious excellent advice by Japanese doctors treating COVID-19 cases:

No link, no cite, no references ...

2 hours ago, Jonathan said:

The above reminds me of the Placeholder for GW/CC 'How I got here' thread.

Tee hee hee!

J

Well, the item I posted - as a composite - is kind of a joke on me, since I didn't realize that it's gone viral, awhile ago, or that the Taiwan and Japanese doctors references were being attributed to Stanford.

Larry received the whole piece as a unit from someone on a private climate-related discussion group.  What I thought was being attributed to Stanford was just the mortality statistics.  

I thought the anecdotal part had been written by the person sending the item - and that the main feature was the letter from James Robb.

Dr. Robb isn't and wasn't connected with Stanford at any time I know of during his illustrious career.  (I've known of his status as a virologist for some years.)

My reason for posting the thing was his helpful advice - which I didn't know had gone viral earlier this year.

Here's the Wikipedia entry on Dr. Robb.  It includes the background of his "Dear Colleagues" letter.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/James_Robb_(pathologist)

James A. Robb is an American pathologist and molecular virologist.

He has a BA in theoretical physics from the University of Colorado. In 1965 he entered the University of Colorado Medical School where he received his MD degree. He took a residency in pathology, as well as training in molecular biology, at Yale University, then went to work at the National Institutes of Health. He has been a professor at the University of California, San Diego,[1] a consulting pathologist at the National Cancer Institute, and director of anatomic and molecular pathology at Cedars Medical Center in Miami, Florida.[2] He is board certified in anatomic pathology, clinical pathology, cytopathology, and dermatopathology.[3]

During the 1970s while he was at UC-San Diego, Robb published some of the earliest descriptions of coronaviruses.[4] He co-wrote the chapter on coronaviruses in the book Comprehensive Virology[5] and has published extensively on the subject.[6][7] In February 2020 he wrote a "Dear colleagues" letter detailing his advice on how to avoid contracting COVID-19 and similar diseases; on March 2 several sources posted the letter online and it went viral.[8][4][9]

Ellen

Swine Flu vs COVID-19

I'll park this post on this thread where it has a better chance of being noticed than on the "Coronavirus" thread.

Some people are saying - including, I gather, Rush Limbaugh:  

But look at the swine flu, 60 million 1st-year US cases and no national emergency declared.  What makes this COVID-19 worth declaring an emergency?

Here's what:

The swine flu had a very high incidence - a great many people got it.

The incidence in the US for the swine flu's first year was about 60 million.

The swine flu had a low death rate (about 0.02), an exceptionally low death rate for a seasonal flu-type disease.

In the US for the first year, there was about 1 death in 5 thousand cases.

---

If the COVID-19 virus achieved the same first-year US incidence as the swine flu - about 60 million - 

and if the death rate continues at the current about 1 in 50 cases  - 

the number of US deaths would be about 1.2 million.

(The rate might go higher than 1 in 50 cases.  Of the to-date 4,744 US cases, 93 have died and 12 are in serious/critical condition.  Only 74 have recovered.)

Ellen

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...