Coronavirus

Peter

The World Health Organization on March 11 declared the COVID-19 outbreak a pandemic, the first such declaration in 11 years.

Here's a look back on the 2009 swine flu pandemic with eight key facts from the CDC:

1. The flu strain responsible for the outbreak — influenza A (H1N1)pdm09 — was first detected in America in April 2009.

2. The strain represented a unique combination of influenza viruses never before seen in humans or animals.

3. The virus quickly spread globally, primarily affecting children and adults under 65 who lacked immunity to H1N1.

4. The WHO declared the swine flu outbreak a pandemic on June 11, 2009.

5. Between April 12, 2009, and April 10, 2010, the CDC estimates swine flu caused 60.8 million illnesses, 273,304 hospitalizations and 12,469 deaths in the U.S.

6. On Oct. 5, 2009, the U.S. began administering a newly approved H1N1 vaccine to select Americans, with vaccination coverage expanding nationwide by that December.

7. WHO declared an end to the pandemic on Aug. 10, 2010.

8. Globally, an estimated 151,700 to 575,400 people died from swine flu in the first year of the pandemic.

For reference, the COVID-19 pandemic has sickened 1,323 Americans and killed 38, as of March 12. More than 127,00 cases and 4,700 deaths have been reported globally.

1 hour ago, anthony said:

The World Health Organization on March 11 declared the COVID-19 outbreak a pandemic, the first such declaration in 11 years.

Here's a look back on the 2009 swine flu pandemic with eight key facts from the CDC:

1. The flu strain responsible for the outbreak — influenza A (H1N1)pdm09 — was first detected in America in April 2009.

2. The strain represented a unique combination of influenza viruses never before seen in humans or animals.

3. The virus quickly spread globally, primarily affecting children and adults under 65 who lacked immunity to H1N1.

4. The WHO declared the swine flu outbreak a pandemic on June 11, 2009.

5. Between April 12, 2009, and April 10, 2010, the CDC estimates swine flu caused 60.8 million illnesses, 273,304 hospitalizations and 12,469 deaths in the U.S.

6. On Oct. 5, 2009, the U.S. began administering a newly approved H1N1 vaccine to select Americans, with vaccination coverage expanding nationwide by that December.

7. WHO declared an end to the pandemic on Aug. 10, 2010.

8. Globally, an estimated 151,700 to 575,400 people died from swine flu in the first year of the pandemic.

For reference, the COVID-19 pandemic has sickened 1,323 Americans and killed 38, as of March 12. More than 127,00 cases and 4,700 deaths have been reported globally.

The flu season ends next month.

I talked to a lady who got the Swine flu. After she got a flu shot. That was her first and only flu shot. She was 14.

Another lady told me she was within a week of being certified as a care giver when the school shut down.

A man responsible for a University of Arizona frat house got a hazard mat suit They are spending today disinfecting the house. Classes are suspended except for online.

Nobody's flying into Tucson. Conferences are being cancelled all over the country.

Resorts are being emptied.

It's not just toilet paper going out of the stores. It's other stuff like fresh meat.

The restaurants are big time hurting.

Etc.

--Brant

but maybe this will go on throughout the summer

Walmart food stores are being cleaned out

1 hour ago, Brant Gaede said:

Ain't the internet wunnerful? I saw two ladies in a Costco almost get into a fight broadcast from someone's phone.

Tom Hanks quote: "Thanks to the Helpers," the 63-year-old actor wrote. "Let's take care of ourselves and each other. Hanx"

Helpers is a reference to a traditional quote from Fred Rogers. "My mother would say to me, 'Look for the helpers. You will always find people who are helping,'" the children's television host, who Hanks played in the 2019 movie "A Beautiful Day in the Neighborhood," would say.

Covid 19 tracker.

168,984 confirmed cases worldwide

6492 deaths which is close to 3.8 percent

In the United States: 3621 cases

63 deaths but the number is being updated.

63 divided by 3621 equals 0.0173985087 or around 1.7 percent

2 hours ago, Brant Gaede said:

The flu season ends next month.

I talked to a lady who got the Swine flu. After she got a flu shot. That was her first and only flu shot. She was 14.

Another lady told me she was within a week of being certified as a care giver when the school shut down.

A man responsible for a University of Arizona frat house got a hazard mat suit They are spending today disinfecting the house. Classes are suspended except for online.

Nobody's flying into Tucson. Conferences are being cancelled all over the country.

Resorts are being emptied.

It's not just toilet paper going out of the stores. It's other stuff like fresh meat.

The restaurants are big time hurting.

Etc.

--Brant

but maybe this will go on throughout the summer

This is serious, sure. But as I tried to show we've been here before, so we maintain perspective, take the sensible precautions and it too will pass. The scare-mongering makes me much more antsy than the contagion, and is hurting millions everywhere and knocking down to consequences no one can foresee. My favorite targets the lefties more than anyone, are driving this for what it's worth in the multi-media, trying to gain political capital and unsettle things further. We know what they want (I watched the nasty Trevor Noah slyly try to lay this all on the president a few nights ago) but they are moral and physical weaklings. Officially, we live in the Age of Safety. By contrast, many have forgotten how devastating the quite recent Swine Flu was until reminded, and not a tenth of the panic then. World recovery was amazingly swift.  I try to support more the family restaurants which are open, those small businesses and travel/resorts/conferences and theater were hurting already in SA (rising costs, regular power outages) and I fear this will finish most off. A recession was already on the way prior to this.

So many re-openings are set for 4/10/20

So strange when it shouldn't be known when all will be clear. Why name any "until" date? And why that one repeated for so many things, I keep seeing it specified? Pence said it today. He said he heard tell of a church in Indiana that closed down. No more services until they re-open on April 10th, he said.

Anyone else seeing that date specified?

Trump/Pence say calm down and don't buy so much stuff.

You have to watch Trump name names, 21:35 — 24:00. So subtle. At 25:00 "Those stores have to stay open. They have to." (Do you want any of those names to get the coronavirus? Simple. Just cheer for them to close their stores.)

Pence says April 10th at 30:23.

https://www.pscp.tv/w/1YqGoQZAogExv

12 minutes ago, Brant Gaede said:

We are getting closer and closer to the world of Atlas Shrugged. That world is consequent to the total victory of the left, which hasn't happened yet.

--Brant

The impending disaster was we were going to become fully and irretrievably enslaved by the elites. Not a left-caused collapse and tears for all. An elite-engineered collapse followed by total technotronic control of the masses by a extremely tiny generational elite.

The Trump Train stopped them. This is the takedown. No collapse. Beautiful world coming.

• Like 1

Go to coin gold pawn jewelry stores and buy silver and/or gold. If gold is used in any little way as backing to new currencies, then an ounce of it will get you a car or a house or more for the new fridge you will spend on it now. The growing demand for silver in our electronic industries is technologically stubborn, persisting, perpetual, and the banks have been cheating the market price down. They're losing control of everything. Silver will be honestly priced soon.

I told you all to get toilet paper weeks ago.

Oddly enough, I think the thing that will be most remembered about the coronavirus pandemic in the US has nothing to do with health.

When President Trump announced the state of emergency, he put a freeze on the interest of all student loans.

The repercussion of this will continue to be felt long after the virus has run its course.

Later, when people say the coronavirus pandemic of 2020, I believe they will mention it as the event that gave rise to the beginning of the end of the student loan scam.

Michael

1 hour ago, Jon Letendre said:

I told you all to get toilet paper weeks ago.

So, you started it!

--Brant

toilet paper! I don't need no stinkin' toilet paper! 

(even the stores selling recycled toilet paper are out)

1 hour ago, Brant Gaede said:

I also got the last forty pound box of liter of my preferred brand.

I may buy some stuff at a food lion tomorrow, and see what is sold out and what they have lots of. I will get a 20 pound bag of Purina Cat Chow, milk and maybe some frozen dinners. I wonder if everyone working there will be wearing gloves. Will they do a forehead scan for my temperature? Nah. That's just crazy talk.

17 hours ago, Jon Letendre said:

So many re-openings are set for 4/10/20

So strange when it shouldn't be known when all will be clear. Why name any "until" date? And why that one repeated for so many things, I keep seeing it specified? Pence said it today. He said he heard tell of a church in Indiana that closed down. No more services until they re-open on April 10th, he said.

Anyone else seeing that date specified?

Have you found out yet what occasion April 10 is?

Ellen

Your doubts are misplaced. Pence clearly said the church in Indiana will not have services until it re-opens for services April 10th. Forgive my paraphrasing, but that is return to normalcy language in that he is saying he knows the church can re-open on that date. Wouldn’t you simply refrain from naming re-opening dates, if you saw only chaos coming? I have seen several others refer to this date in the same way, just don’t recall them right now.

17 minutes ago, Jon Letendre said:

Your doubts are misplaced. Pence clearly said the church in Indiana will not have services until it re-opens for services April 10th. Forgive my paraphrasing, but that is return to normalcy language in that he is saying he knows the church can re-open on that date. Wouldn’t you simply refrain from naming re-opening dates, if you saw only chaos coming? I have seen several others refer to this date in the same way, just don’t recall them right now.

April 10 is Good Friday.  April 12 is Easter Sunday.  Christian churches aren't likely to refrain from the central-meaning-of-the-religion observance because of a virus.  What they'll be saying will be interesting.  Are Christians being tested like Christ? One possible theme.

Ellen

This is just antidotal. I was getting ready to go to Walmart when someone called and told my wife, many people were sick sounding, AND coughing at Walmart.  I decided not to go. I suppose there will be a point when I must go to the store but I won't go yet. On another front a younger someone said the bars they went to in Ocean City, Maryland last night had a lot of people and no one "seemed sick." My thought was uh oh. Is this the way the coronavirus is going to hit The Eastern Shore? So far locally, there have been no cases reported. The closest was at U of Del.   

This is another curious phenomenon I thought of and I am not trying to add too much humor to the thought. People may drink more liquor and beer if they are scared or simply forced to stay home from work. The number of people who are “hungover” may increase and people who are hung over look and act sick. (I noticed this phenomenon when I was in the army and many working class people only drink "a bit too much" on a Friday or Saturday. But if they are NOT reporting to work on any “tomorrow”??  🙂 So if you see a sick looking person, they may simply be hungover. Or their ill look may be from drinking Corona Mexican beer.