Coronavirus

Peter

1 hour ago, Dglgmut said:

[New Zealanders] are the only ones avoiding the virus entirely.

Entirely??  Worldometers shows New Zealand with 362 cases per million population and 5 deaths per million population. That's very low. But >20% of the countries shown have fewer.

Do you think that a low level of international travel is at all relevant? 

2 hours ago, merjet said:

Entirely??  Worldometers shows New Zealand with 362 cases per million population and 5 deaths per million population. That's very low. But >20% of the countries shown have fewer.

Do you think that a low level of international travel is at all relevant? 

My mistake. I was going by memory. I remember when they got their active cases down to 0 for a while because of their international shutdown. I guess they didn't realize they were going to have to maintain that until the rest of the world had gotten over it....

On another note, remember that motorcycle accident death that was attributed to COVID? I just saw Snopes has made a verdict on that "claim": https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/florida-motorcyclist-covid-death/

Snopes rated, by their rating standards, the claim to be ‘outdated’. Basically the truth or falsehood has been deemed irrelevant. Lol. A website whose claim to fame is being an unbiased fact finder dismisses inquiry with a relevancy wand.

• Like 1

Some places that reacted fairly or very quickly are going back into further lock downs, or considering it as cases "surge" -e.g.  UK, New Zealand, Israel - despite the freedom seeking minorities which oppose them. Boris was saying he wants everybody in England to test every day...Huh?!

Virologist Wittkowski's factual advice will be proven right, "flattening the curve" extends the curve. But such dissenting experts have been silenced by social media pandering to WHO, UN, etc.

Let's eventually see some model that can demonstrate how many lives have been saved (or not) by the blanket isolation imposed on everyone.

And what's the point of testing anyway? Apart from conducting a wide analysis for scientific purposes. It is certain that there are high infection rates, greater than what can be measured presently. And the death rate will be seen to be lower in light of those increasing numbers.  Even worse than useless, that "test and trace" procedure which is an invasion of privacy. If one catches this virus, does one really want to know who from - or whom to blame? How much has that helped control the spread?

The cost in human terms of these heavy-handed responses to Covid was always going to exceed the gain, but that's exactly what passes for "humanitarianism" today, sacrifices.

As was clear from the start, this should have been voluntary - selfish: one's life is one's own to look after as best you judge in the circumstances, and pressuring the responsibility of one's life on others - and their lives and potential deaths on you - is simply vile. I won't accept that others live for me. If you're sick, unhealthy and with existing conditions or old it's up to you to self-isolate - or to take some chances and carry on normally if you wish. The majority, healthy and young people, never had to be affected and have their lives cruelly disrupted. Equally, one's own choice to be vaccinated. Trouble is that there's a subservient part of every society which has to be ordered what to do and are lost without that, dependent on Govt.'s and forcing everyone else to fall into line as well. Governments and people, some of whom have a vested interest in keeping panic levels high, exploiting others' suffering and stifling their liberties.

5 hours ago, merjet said:

He doesn't call Biden a snake oil salesman.

Maybe Biden is like Typhoid Mary and passing on the Virus to all the journalists he does a face to face interview with . . .  so every interview is by phone camera. It is interesting how some phone / camera interviews and news stories are OK visually and some make you seasick. 

On 9/14/2020 at 9:28 AM, Peter said:

I watched some of the Bob Woodward episode on Sixty Minutes. His claim is that President Trump downplayed the virus to not cause a panic. Yet, in spite of the self isolation and mandatory wearing of masks, people in general have not panicked. But Bob wants to sell his derogatory book and keep Trump from being reelected, so his consciousness "forces" him to plug, plug, plug.  

Peter,

The best that can be said of Woodward just happened with Jimmy Dore. He does fake interviews with a comedian friend who imitates celebrities.

This recent one with Bob Woodward is guffaw-level hilarious.

Don't take Jimmy's anti-Trump comments to heart. He's a leftie and some leftie talking points are just what he is going to say.

The really funny part of this video, though, it is gives words to what everybody--left and right--is thinking about the relevance of Rage.

Jimmy got laughing so hard, even the comedian imitating Woodward started cracking up.

:)

Michael

3 hours ago, Michael Stuart Kelly said:

be glad you don't live in Ohio.

I'm glad to be in Ohio.

2018 homicide rates per 100,000:  IL 6.8; OH 4.9

2020 Covid cases per million: IL 22,378; OH 12,651

2020 Covid deaths per million: IL 692; OH 405

2016 election: IL Clinton; OH Trump

7 hours ago, Michael Stuart Kelly said:

For those who think all the COVID-19 fuss might be more than about a pandemic, be glad you don't live in Ohio.

This lady was tazed and arrested while watching an outdoor football practice because she was not wearing a mask.

This is about compliance and submission.

Michael

I’d love a Renta cop to try that on me.  It would be worth the jail time..

• Like 1

6 hours ago, merjet said:

I'm glad to be in Ohio.

Ohio by Crosby, Stills, Nash & Young

Tin soldiers and Nixon's coming
We're finally on our own
This summer I hear the drumming
Four dead in Ohio

Gotta get down to it
Soldiers are cutting us down
Should have been done long ago
What if you knew her
And found her dead on the ground?
How can you run when you know?

Gotta get down to it
Soldiers are cutting us down
Should have been done long ago
What if you knew her
And found her dead on the ground
How can you run when you know?

Tin soldiers and Nixon's coming
We're finally on our own
This summer I hear the drumming
Four dead in Ohio
Four dead in Ohio (four dead)
Four dead in Ohio (four)
Four dead in Ohio
Four dead in Ohio (how many more?)
Four dead in Ohio (why?)
Four dead in Ohio (oh)
Four dead in Ohio (oh)
Four dead in Ohio (why?)
Four dead in Ohio (why?)
Four dead in Ohio (why?)
Four dead in Ohio

Songwriters: Neil Young © Broken Arrow Music Data from: LyricFind

6 hours ago, merjet said:
9 hours ago, Michael Stuart Kelly said:

be glad you don't live in Ohio.

I'm glad to be in Ohio.

Merlin,

It doesn't matter what I say, you are going to say the opposite and create a competition where none exists.

(btw - I am not glad to live in Illinois. It sucks here. Kat and I are making plans on moving within a year or so, maybe next spring.)

But knowing how committed you are of saying the opposite, I have one for you.

Be glad Merilin is the world's greatest genius.

I'm not interested in your opinion on that. So you don't need to comment.

:evil:  :) 

Michael

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Jules Troy said:

Hi Jules,

There is more to the story than the video and MSK’s rendering of it.

Governor urges against rush to judgment over woman’s arrest

1. The woman was arrested on a criminal trespassing charge and not for refusing to wear a mask, per the Logan Police Dept. Rent-a-cop?

2. The rules for attending the football practice were well-publicized. Was she a parent or other close relative?

3. She said she had asthma. How do we know that is true? How do we know she didn’t have the mindset ‘Rules are for other people to obey, not me’?

4. Would you judge differently if she were wearing a BLM, Che Guevara, or Karl Marx shirt?

5. The setting, a public school, is problematic. However, what if the event were a music concert on private property and the organizers made the rule that attendees must wear a mask?

6. “This is about compliance and submission.” To whom? Big Brother and the Police State? Somebody else?

59 minutes ago, Michael Stuart Kelly said:

Kat and I are making plans on moving within a year or so, maybe next spring.)

Luke Skywalker, my advice is to go south where it is warmer but stay away from places that get damaged by hurricanes, winter snow storms, or flooding. If you build on stilt pilings you would need to walk up and down stairs every day. I have to go down three steps and even that is an annoyance.    

3 hours ago, Jules Troy said:

Jules,

I'm 100% with you.

I don't fight well with fists (although I have great street survival skills from being there and surviving :) ) and I don't have any martial arts training, so I would not go for direct confrontation. But I would do something and it would hurt.

(As countless people have found out over the years. I mean, this is macho shit-posting, but it's true. :) )

Some people are happy to obey any old law just because an idiot proclaimed it to be law.

Other people don't give up their freedom so easily. I'm one of those, except I don't give it up. Whoever constrains me unjustly has adopted a headache that lasts a long, long time. :) 

The only mistake I saw that lady make was going in without a plan, then confronting the concentration camp guards directly. She obviously did not have the skills you do. But she was not, and is not, helpless before the state's harassing peaceful citizens shit.

You know how government bullies set perjury traps? Well, it's just as easy to set traps for them for abuse of power and a whole lot of laws (bullshit and otherwise) that sting them hard if one is motivated to look and set them up. The traps are even more effective when they spring out of nowhere.

A guy who used to be a mentor of mine in predatory business practices (don't even ask :) ) used to call this the "I love to be an idiot" tactic.

At least she learned the true nature of the dictator wannabes who rule her state.

They do that shit because they can. They get off on it, too. A single young lady is an easier and safer way for them to spend their time and pretend they are keeping the peace than running down a mean bad guy with a gun. And, like I said, they get off on it.

People here in America have to make it so they can't. And, as the Trump doctrine expands and settles in, we are making it so, at least for a generation or two.

I'm not against law enforcement. In fact, I'm for it. I do not consider what I saw those Heil Hitler people doing as law enforcement. I categorize that as muscle like any cheap criminal gang uses.

Those cops should be ashamed of themselves for not protesting their orders or quitting.

Michael

• Upvote 1

On 9/16/2020 at 1:17 PM, Ellen Stuttle said:

"In 2019, with the backing of NIAID, the National Institutes of Health committed $3.7 million over six years for research that included some gain-of-function work."

Note the term "gain of function."

That's the idea.  A natural virus is used and then "enhanced" for specific advantages - in this case advantages to persons wanting a virus that's a lot more communicable from human to human than the typical animal-to-human coronavirus.

Next step ("mutant" COVID strain) would be increased high fatality range, extending the very high risk range downward from about 75 up to about 60 up.

Ellen

I'm repeating the above post to add something I should have said about enhanced viral function.

Along with being easily transmittable human-to-human, the Covid-19 virus has the enhancement of a long incubation period.

I described this earlier on another thread as:

"a diabolically brilliant feature.  As [Jules says], it means that many, many people can be spreading the virus without showing symptoms themselves.

"It also means increased incentives for people to 'social distance,' since one doesn't know who among people one encounters might be a source of contagion."

Ellen

• Upvote 1

From Associated Press. The Latest: Source: Trump got oxygen Friday at White House Oct. 3, 2020 Updated: Oct. 3, 2020 10:07 a.m.

MAY 14, 2020 Brian C. Kalt Professor of law at Michigan State University quote, from The Atlantic: The Very Real Problem of Both Trump and Pence Getting COVID-19 at the Same Time? If the president and the vice president become incapacitated simultaneously, the country could face a constitutional crisis.

From Explore Health . . . . How long does it take to recover? The COVID-19 recovery period depends on the severity of the illness. If you have a mild case, you can expect to recover within about two weeks. But for more severe cases, it could take six weeks or more to feel better, and hospitalization might be required . . . .  end quote

2 hours ago, Peter said:

From Associated Press. The Latest: Source: Trump got oxygen Friday at White House Oct. 3, 2020 Updated: Oct. 3, 2020 10:07 a.m.

Peter,

Just to be clear, it seems like the source for this and even more stuff claiming Trump is in a dire situation came from an anonymous email sent to a lot of reporters.

Then Jim Acosta ran with it, then everyone did.

That started getting embarrassing, so they have tried to pin it on Mark Meadows because he was heard telling some reporters the phrase "off the record" right after the doctors did their press briefing.

In other words, this is all a load of bullshit. The spin is so intense the wheels are falling off the press.

Speculating, I can easily see President Trump receiving oxygen for a short time as a precautionary measure before going to the hospital. Just like he was given some meds and supplements.

One of the doctors was asked why there was so much overkill in taking precautions with Trump.

The doctor said: "Because he's the president."

Well...

Yeah...

Michael

This, I believe, is the main purpose of the so-called pandemic.

It's called the banality of evil (Hannah Arendt coined the phrase when she realized Eichmann was not a sadistic monster, but ordinary with no self-reflection and a bureaucrat).

And speaking of bureaucrat, look at the bureaucrat above and look at the people mindlessly obeying the bureaucrat. This is how evil spreads throughout an entire country. Not with a violent revolution, but with banality.

Hell, even the virus itself is banal. It's contagious, but the death rates are low.

Polly went into this funeral event and I posted her video here. I called her Patrick Henry and I meant it.

I betcha the Chinese Communist Government knows this stuff on a profound level.

I believe that is part of the reason they released COVID-19. To test the waters and survey the landscape before committing for real, so to speak. Intelligence gathering.

And I think the elitists the world over who followed implementing this shit like crazy got off on the obedience, then started thinking about how they could use this thing for their own power ambitions.

Michael

• Like 1

Woah!

President Trump just announced he wants Americans to have the same COVID-19 treatment he had, so he is setting in place military distribution of Regeneron to hospitals around the US and is making it free for patients. He's just waiting for the emergency authorization, whatever that means.

That wasn't the full treatment he received, but this is big.

Now watch the anti-Trumpers come out and say: (1) It doesn't work, and (2) It will kill you.

Michael

btw - President Trump is out of isolation and back in the Oval Office.

The editors of the New England Journal of Medicine have published an editorial condemning the Trump administration's handling of the Covid epidemic:

Dying in a Leadership Vacuum

Covid-19 has created a crisis throughout the world. This crisis has produced a test of leadership. With no good options to combat a novel pathogen, countries were forced to make hard choices about how to respond. Here in the United States, our leaders have failed that test. They have taken a crisis and turned it into a tragedy.

The magnitude of this failure is astonishing. According to the Johns Hopkins Center for Systems Science and Engineering,1 the United States leads the world in Covid-19 cases and in deaths due to the disease, far exceeding the numbers in much larger countries, such as China. The death rate in this country is more than double that of Canada, exceeds that of Japan, a country with a vulnerable and elderly population, by a factor of almost 50, and even dwarfs the rates in lower-middle-income countries, such as Vietnam, by a factor of almost 2000. Covid-19 is an overwhelming challenge, and many factors contribute to its severity. But the one we can control is how we behave. And in the United States we have consistently behaved poorly.

I haven't read past the first few paragraphs yet.

Ellen

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Michael Stuart Kelly said:

Woah!

President Trump just announced he wants Americans to have the same COVID-19 treatment he had, so he is setting in place military distribution of Regeneron to hospitals around the US and is making it free for patients. He's just waiting for the emergency authorization, whatever that means.

That wasn't the full treatment he received, but this is big.

Now watch the anti-Trumpers come out and say: (1) It doesn't work, and (2) It will kill you.

Michael

btw - President Trump is out of isolation and back in the Oval Office.

And....Polly meltdown in 3...2...1...