Coronavirus

Peter

8 hours ago, william.scherk said:

What we believe we know about COVID-19 disease will grow and be pruned over the next months. Here's a minor finding just out that looks at a rarer effect of infection.

How the Coronavirus Attacks the Brain

Crap.

--Brant

the proof of this will be the dearth of articles about the virus doing this or that after the election 

27 minutes ago, Peter said:

A medical doctor said tonight January 2021 may be the month we may have a vaccine. Like Michael, I may sit it out and wait to see the outcomes. But four more months of quarantine? Caaaarap. 

You'll be an idiot amongst idiots to take the vaccine and a "medical doctor" in this context has no more gravitas than I do, a former Special Forces aidman--that is, zilch.

The vaccine is a mirage generated by bullshit to keep this story going via fear and pie in the sky.

--Brant

9 hours ago, Brant Gaede said:

You'll be an idiot amongst idiots to take the vaccine and a "medical doctor" in this context has no more gravitas than I do, a former Special Forces aidman--that is, zilch.

The vaccine is a mirage generated by bullshit to keep this story going via fear and pie in the sky.

--Brant

An internet story today said the covid vaccine should also cure the common cold. I watched some of the Bob Woodward episode on Sixty Minutes. His claim is that President Trump downplayed the virus to not cause a panic. Yet, in spite of the self isolation and mandatory wearing of masks, people in general have not panicked. But Bob wants to sell his derogatory book and keep Trump from being reelected, so his consciousness "forces" him to plug, plug, plug.  

Many restaurants around here are open with limited capacity but you must wear a mask up until you start eating. I went to get two fried chicken, take out dinners at a local restaurant and I would guess one quarter of their seats were occupied at 6:30, pm.  

1 hour ago, Peter said:

An internet story today said the covid vaccine should also cure the common cold

This one (emphases added)?

Army COVID-19 vaccine may produce a side benefit: Cure for the common cold

By Tara Copp and Michael Wilne
September 14, 2020 07:00 AM , Updated 1 hour 30 minutes ago

Scientists at the Walter Reed Army Institute of Research are advancing a vaccine that may be able to prevent strains of the common cold in the future.

But their immediate concern is the imminent flu season because nearly seven months since receiving their first samples of the novel coronavirus from a Washington state patient, they still don’t know whether catching the flu could increase the chances of getting COVID-19.

“When this virus emerged, it was sort of coming toward the tail end of the flu season. And now we have both, at the same time, and we don’t know what that’s going to look like,” said Dr. Kayvon Modjarrad, director of emerging infectious diseases at Walter Reed in Maryland. “If you get sick with flu, is that going to make you more susceptible of getting COVID or risk of it, or vice versa? We don’t know that.”

[...]

While the Walter Reed vaccine candidate is currently focused on COVID-19, the lab has structured the vaccine to be able to target different types of coronavirus. Once they have “proof of concept” that the vaccine is safe and effective, Modjarrad said, the Army lab will decide whether to pivot their efforts to creating the “pan-coronavirus” vaccine that would help prevent the common cold and other potential novel coronaviruses.

Modjarrad said that they are currently testing their vaccine in monkeys, and depending on the results, will enter into human trials toward the end of the year.

From preliminary research in mice, the vaccine has generated “extremely high levels of antibodies” that neutralize the coronavirus, and has also demonstrated a strong safety profile, he said.

[...]

Modjarrad said that individuals should not be concerned with receiving a flu vaccine in close proximity to an eventual vaccine for COVID-19, and encouraged all Americans to get vaccinated for the flu early in the season.

“I think it’s important that we have people understand that we have some of these effective tools in place that could actually indirectly bring down the burden of disease and death for COVID-19 by doing our due diligence in taking care of the flu as well,” Modjarrad said.

A flu shot does not make the individual more susceptible to getting ill, and it will not interfere with a potential COVID vaccine, as neither contain live virus, Modjarrad said.

A flu mist or nose spray that is taken instead of a shot, does use live flu virus. He recommends that any live-virus vaccines be spaced out and not administered at the same time as another live-virus vaccine, such as for measles.

At the outset of flu season, public health experts have grown increasingly concerned that the annual pressures on hospitals and health care workers will be exacerbated by the pandemic coronavirus, which spreads more easily without heat and humidity and has already led to nearly 200,000 deaths in the United States.

The flu kills tens of thousands of Americans each year, and hospitalizes hundreds of thousands, raising concerns about straining the availability of hospital beds and personal protective equipment for frontline workers that may be needed in the event of a coronavirus surge. [...]

This article from June suggests that the Army's vaccine candidate has some very interesting qualities:

Army scientists have a vaccine candidate that they believe has the potential to fight COVID-19 — and that may be able to protect individuals from future coronaviruses, “from season to season, for decades to come.”

The scientists at the Walter Reed Army Institute of Research chose SpFN, for Spike Ferritin Nanoparticle, after testing dozens of variants of vaccine candidates in more than 1,000 mice.

“It was a real sense of relief” to discover a strong vaccine candidate, Dr. Kayvon Modjarrad, director of Walter Reed’s Emerging Infectious Diseases Branch, said in an exclusive interview with McClatchy. “Our team has not taken a day off in three, four months, since this all started. After we got that result I said, ‘you know, we can at least take one day off.’”

Their progress comes as cases of COVID-19, the disease caused by the novel coronavirus, topped 2 million in the United States, and as 21 states have seen an increase in positive cases in recent weeks.

SpFN differs from other vaccines under development, in that it uses a soccer ball-shaped protein that allows scientists to harness the spikes of multiple coronavirus strains on 24 different faces of the protein. That attracted a stronger immune system response in tests with mice than other approaches, where there was only one spike of the coronavirus inserted on a vaccine candidate. [...]

That's the story William.

The VA is already suggesting veterans get the flu vaccine because it may also give some protection from Covid-19. I am going for my yearly checkup in October anyway so I will get the flu shot then. If that early flu vaccination is not shown to be preventative I will get the later version.

One vaccine maker, Pfizer, is saying their current vaccine tests are only showing 50 percent of the trial subjects are immune to the coronavirus so is 50/50 worth the risk of side affects?    

22 hours ago, merjet said:

Scott Adams talked about this at the very beginning of his video today (a couple of hours or go ago).

He does his simultaneous sip, then this issue. He's done by 3:14.

It looks promising.

(btw - Scott has some fun with the term "biomolecule." Even though this term is not used in the article Merlin posted, it is used in many others dealing with this. Which means both the article and Scott are talking about the same thing. I don't know if this term biomolecule was used in the original article at Cell (September 14 issue) because that is behind a paywall, but if the mainstream is running hogwild with it, the term was probably in there.)

After testing, this sucker might solve COVID-19 permanently. If it doesn't work well on humans, like say, there are some nasty side effects, it is still a great indication that we are moving closer to squishing this bug.

Apropos, "biomolecule" is a term used and not used, but "sucker" is the correct technical term, especially when modified by the adjective "this." :)  

Michael

23 minutes ago, Michael Stuart Kelly said:

Scott has some fun with the term "biomolecule." Even though this term is not used in the article Merlin posted, it is used in many others dealing with this.

What are some various usages of the term you have discovered? My understanding is that it is shorthand for "biological molecule." In other words, a molecule produced within and by a living organism or cell, like amino acid molecules or molecules such as carbohydrates.

Which means both the article and Scott are talking about the same thing. I don't know if this term biomolecule was used in the original article at Cell (September 14 issue) because that is behind a paywall, but if the mainstream is running hogwild with it, the term was probably in there.

It is not "in there," as it turns out.

But the extremely promising line of research does of course depend on researchers having identified the 'smallest possible component' of a particular anti-body (a biological product), and used that to construct its drug Ab8.

From the abstract of the pre-print:

Abstract Novel COVID-19 therapeutics are urgently needed. We generated a phage-displayed human antibody VH domain library from which we identified a high-affinity VH binder ab8. Bivalent VH, VH-Fc ab8 bound with high avidity to membrane-associated S glycoprotein and to mutants found in patients. It potently neutralized mouse adapted SARS-CoV-2 in wild type mice at a dose as low as 2 mg/kg and exhibited high prophylactic and therapeutic efficacy in a hamster model of SARS-CoV-2 infection, possibly enhanced by its relatively small size. Electron microscopy combined with scanning mutagenesis identified ab8 interactions with all three S protomers and showed how ab8 neutralized the virus by directly interfering with ACE2 binding. VH-Fc ab8 did not aggregate and did not bind to 5300 human membrane-associated proteins. The potent neutralization activity of VH-Fc ab8 combined with good developability properties and cross-reactivity to SARS-CoV-2 mutants provide a strong rationale for its evaluation as a COVID-19 therapeutic.

Edited by william.scherk
Added abstract from Cell pre-print

1 minute ago, william.scherk said:

Man, that's what I get for trying to talk to an intellectual superior.

He showed me my place.

I may stop eating out of shame...

:evil: 

(Scott Adams and the article Merlin linked to are still about the same thing, though. :) )

Michael

This ain't going away.

So far, Dr. Li-Meng Yan is only speaking out about her conclusions in public.

That, to me, means she has some smart media people advising her. 

The routine is setup and payoff.

This is the setup stage and her words are generating a huge amount of public interest.

When the payoff comes, it will no longer be able to be squelched in the public by China and the toady social media giant CEO's.

Michael

On 9/13/2020 at 10:37 AM, Ellen Stuttle said:
The Pincer Plot for the destruction of Western Enlightenment civilization now emerges in its full horribleness.  I've seen this clearly because of the simultaneous running of the basketball "woke" thread.

On the young side, we have youth who have already been subjected to an educational system shaped by several generations of progressivist policies now being indoctrinated into "wokeness" which presents Western Enlightenment values as a white-privilege "metanarrative."

On the elderly side we have people who were educated when Western Enlightenment values were still the basis of educational policy being killed off by a virus engineered to be easily communicable human-to-human (unlike the standard animal-originating coronavirus).

Next step - a further variant on the virus making a strain with increased deadliness range, so that people over about 60 are at as high risk as people over about 75 are with the current strain.

This dwindles the population of those with even a memory of Western Enlightenment values as the educational standard.

Now I don't think that the Chinese Communists instigated "wokeness."  That's home-grown Western intellectual rot.  But it certainly suits ChiCom purposes.

Ellen

Ellen,

Here is an article as a dot to connect in your theory (which I believe to be correct).

Nearly two-thirds of US young adults unaware 6m Jews killed in the Holocaust

Teach the young fake history, including erasing parts of history.

Kill off the old who lived through it or learned it from their parents.

Boom.

Cultural tabula rasa.

Primed and crippled for a takeover by authoritarians.

Michael

2 hours ago, Michael Stuart Kelly said:

Teach the young fake history, including erasing parts of history.

Kill off the old who lived through it or learned it from their parents.

Boom.

Cultural tabula rasa.

Primed and crippled for a takeover by authoritarians.

Yes, that's just the sort of pincer operation I mean.

Add to teaching the young fake history and killing off the old who know or learned the real history:

Teaching garbage methods of thinking and NOT teaching the Enlightenment values of rationality, objectivity, and judging the merits of an idea by its truth (the meaning of "truth" being changed to "social construct").

You have a populace who are the ignorant, defenseless, and even willing subjects of totalitarian rule.

Ellen

• Like 1

Ellen wrote: You have a populace who are the ignorant, defenseless, and even willing subjects of totalitarian rule.

An Oregon congressman was on Fox News earlier today talking about the fires, Covid-19, and protests, and as an aside he said, remember that Oregonians rioted the day after Donald Trump was elected and that was before all this other stuff. They were criminals and destroyers then and nothing has changed.   

5 minutes ago, merjet said:

"In 2019, with the backing of NIAID, the National Institutes of Health committed $3.7 million over six years for research that included some gain-of-function work."

Note the term "gain of function."

That's the idea.  A natural virus is used and then "enhanced" for specific advantages - in this case advantages to persons wanting a virus that's a lot more communicable from human to human than the typical animal-to-human coronavirus.

Next step ("mutant" COVID strain) would be increased high fatality range, extending the very high risk range downward from about 75 up to about 60 up.

Ellen

On 9/14/2020 at 1:27 PM, Peter said:

That's the story William.

The VA is already suggesting veterans get the flu vaccine because it may also give some protection from Covid-19. I am going for my yearly checkup in October anyway so I will get the flu shot then. If that early flu vaccination is not shown to be preventative I will get the later version.

One vaccine maker, Pfizer, is saying their current vaccine tests are only showing 50 percent of the trial subjects are immune to the coronavirus so is 50/50 worth the risk of side affects?    

Notes from the road.

From the beginning I've felt a strong want to get the virus, it being my favorite way to "vaccinate". And to find out first hand what all the fuss is about. Almost in spite of myself and because of my overriding want to travel and remain mask less I wish there were an official "stamp" showing a person to have been already infected. Ah, the life of Riley!

In the last week I've traveled between Northern Virginia, Raleigh NC and Roanoke Va. The herd mentality is in full affect as I stride among them mask less. No one has bothered me in a while other than a manager who asked if I had a medical reason for not wearing one. I said yes and Im down here to see my Dr. Eh, 1/2 of it was true the other I left him to deal with. I'm not unwilling to wear one as I went through a stem cell procedure that wasn't available to me without its use.

Mostly I simply take a mask offered or walk through confrontations that result in no enforcement of anything. I dont have the nicest visage when in anticipation of confrontation plus maybe being 6'4 has its advantages. I'm learning the cues of fearful folks and seeing acquiescence, primping of young girls needing to make fashion statements and fidgeting beyond necessity of the damn things. 

#1. I wonder what Jon would have said about all this.

4 hours ago, Ellen Stuttle said:

Next step ("mutant" COVID strain) would be increased high fatality range, extending the very high risk range downward from about 75 up to about 60 up.

So it may be up to New Zealand to save the world?

4 hours ago, turkeyfoot said:

From the beginning I've felt a strong want to get the virus, it being my favorite way to "vaccinate". And to find out first hand what all the fuss is about. [....]

I'm not unwilling to wear [a mask] as I went through a stem cell procedure that wasn't available to me without its use.

Please forgive some cyber medical advice.  If you're undergoing a stem cell procedure, you already have a strain on your system, and you've indicated that you're past the years of youth.  You might be a high-risk candidate if you caught this bug, and I think that you wouldn't enjoy ending your travel-loving life in a ventilator.

Ellen

This was rehearsed and as phony as all get out.

Gimme a break!

Who the hell does Pelosi think she is fooling with her swallowed crocodile tears?

Couldn't she wait just another beat or two before snapping out of it, and couldn't she make it gradual instead of an on-off button?

LOL...

I don't think she would know what I am talking about if she ever got this criticism.

:) 

Michael