Recommended Posts

8 minutes ago, ThatGuy said:

They are getting tore up for it on the Facebook page in the comments section of that post.

TG,

Heh.

Look at this:

These are the people who snark about the memes of TAS.

What the hell does the jumping dude and the globe have to do with denying individual rights?

:)

I can see an attempt at visual metaphor, but it's lame. Where's the metaphor for the threat to the individual? Chains or insect swarms and so on? Especially if the point is deepened with chains being broken or swarms being blasted with aerosol, etc.?

Well, to be fair, if you think skydiving without a parachute is a threat to an individual hopping about in the stratosphere, there's that. :evil: 

Here's the deal.

There a popular saying that liberals can't meme. That's true.

And neither can institutional Objectivists.

God, their attempts suck...

Michael

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, ThatGuy said:

<iframe src="https://www.facebook.com/plugins/post.php?href=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.facebook.com%2FAynRandInstitute%2Fposts%2F10157708433554681&width=500" width="500" height="737" style="border:none;overflow:hidden" scrolling="no" frameborder="0" allowTransparency="true" allow="encrypted-media"></iframe>

TG,

We can't do HTML in posts on OL for security reasons.

But if you post the direct link to the post you are talking about, it will embed:

You get the direct link of a Facebook post by right-clicking the following place and selecting on the popup context menu "copy link address" or whatever means that:

04.08.2020-22.45.png

Then copy the link directly into you post on OL. Then maybe hit Enter. That should embed it.

That's what I just did.

Whew! Now that's done, I get to finally read the comments.

:)

Michael

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I just saw the comments.

One guy over there gets it. He wrote an analogy that was spot on.

Quote

Andreas Kanakis Oh, come on! To put those who use the power of the state to kill competition as free market heroes is like saying Stalin is a war hero because he helped defeating the Nazis.

What is the principle behind a statement like this that the fundies constantly miss?

Ayn Rand said it over and over.

Context.

Starting with the goddam market.

This is how so many in O-Land can call the global crony cartel "free trade." The fundies look at a world controlled by a group of James Taggarts and their cronies--the aristocracy of pull--and say in wonder, "Behold Randian heroes!"

sigh...

I don't argue with them anymore.

Michael

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, Michael Stuart Kelly said:

TG,

We can't do HTML in posts on OL for security reasons.

But if you post the direct link to the post you are talking about, it will embed:

You get the direct link of a Facebook post by right-clicking the following place and selecting on the popup context menu "copy link address" or whatever means that:

04.08.2020-22.45.png

Then copy the link directly into you post on OL. Then maybe hit Enter. That should embed it.

That's what I just did.

Whew! Now that's done, I get to finally read the comments.

:)

Michael

Sorry, was trying to directly link the post, but couldn't figure it out...it was driving me nuts! I knew there had to be some way.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Michael Stuart Kelly said:

The reported deaths from the coronavirus mix people who died from it with people who died from other causes (including longstanding debilitating illnesses) but tested positive.

They chalk it all up to COVID-19 and leave out the other stuff.

They are not even hiding that they are doing this.

Lookee here.

It's right out in the open.

President Trump needs to wake up and look who is beside him.

I know he would not build a hotel using that logic.

Michael

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Michael Stuart Kelly said:

I'm not in a position to make any statement of fact about this other than it stinks to high heaven. I don't trust any stats these days.

Italy, Spain, France, the Netherlands, Belgium, Switzerland, the UK - Is it all a globalist plot and misreported deaths?

Ellen

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
40 minutes ago, Ellen Stuttle said:

Italy, Spain, France, the Netherlands, Belgium, Switzerland, the UK - Is it all a globalist plot and misreported deaths?

Ellen

Ellen,

The deaths are definitely misreported--especially since many of the people reporting them are saying that's exactly what they are doing.

Why should that not be a factor? Why ignore it?

Whether all this misinformation is due to a One True and Only Plot by an evil mastermind like a James Bond villain, or a push for a technocratic dictatorship by globalists, or several different large and powerful groups--each wanting to control the world--seeing an opportunity with COVID-19, or a manifestation of the communist ideology adapting to the times, or different organized ideologies making a play to be relevant, or individuals seeing a way to game systems and make a fortune or get power, or people in panic, or sheer incompetence, or hell, even reptile people and aliens and gay frogs, I don't know. And I know I left out a lot.

I do know when something stinks, though. it doesn't matter why it stinks. The stench doesn't go away with different words.

Because of that stench, let's call it cognitive stench, I don't trust any information about the coronavirus that is being publicized from anywhere on earth right now. I give some information more credence than other, but I lost my certainty when they shut down major chunks of the economy and no reasons were given that did not boil down to someone saying somewhere: "Because I said so." That includes causes of death. Just look at the criteria.

Q: Why did you leave out pneumonia and just use COVID-19 as cause of death?
A: Why? Because I said so.

That's the best you are going to get anywhere right now.

My faith in people who use "because I said so" as their only discernible premise is not very deep.

But let's say it in nice terms for those who prefer. Let's call it fog of war communications. Nothing is ever accurate in the fog of war. Time is needed to get a handle on accuracy.

Michael

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

There's something else I want to add.

Countries are not shut down because of grassroots. They are shut down by the elites. From what I see, since so many countries in the world shut down in the same manner, it's reasonable to assume the elites are talking to each other.

I could spin this in so many ways, it's not funny. How does this one sound?

Two people from the European ruling class meet in August, 2019.

European Elitist: My dear sir, those open borders are screwing us left and right. 

EU Dude: Trust us. We have discussed this ad nauseam. This migration will only go on a little longer. It is useful for the greater good. (winking) Of us, that is...

European Elitist: Yes, but all of those poor people from Muslim countries are pissing off our citizens. Really pissing them off. It's bad.

EU Dude: Well, sir. Control them. That's what you are paid to do.

European Elite: I can't. We can't. They won't listen.

EU Dude: Make them.

European Elitist: Really? Do you think I haven't considered that, Mr. High-and-Mighty? They are not only not listening, they are now coming after me! And if I fall, they will come for you. Wait until you meet Mr. Commoner Beastie. He's as strong as an ox, only has three teeth in his head and loves to brawl. He puts his enemies in the hospital. The peasantry love him. (shuddering) He eats boiled beef because he likes it, for God's sake. Then he drinks the damn broth right there... right out of the pan.

EU Dude: Ghastly!... So what do you want to do about it?

European Elitist: I think my country should leave the EU. Yes. That's the answer. Leave. Just like Great Britain did.

EU Dude: Now wait a minute. It's not that easy. You simply must stay.

European Elitist: Then fix the goddam flood of immigrants.

EU Dude: But the humanitarian...

European Elitist: (yelling) I don't care! Either those uncultured pigs stop stampeding in or we leave the EU. Period. Enough!

EU Dude: (long pause) Hmmmm... And if we fix it?

European Elitist: (surprised) Well, then. There's no reason to leave. I get to stay in power in my country and Mr. Commoner Beastie gets to go back to his dirt hut after his political ambitions fail. 

EU Dude: And what about our... uh... er... ummm... special arrangements?

European Elitist: When the people clamor to make the intolerable stop... when filthy hoards are moving in next door and raping their daughters in broad daylight... when the calmest among them are ready for violent revolt... My dear fellow... when bold solutions are suddenly implemented in times of such ire-laden flux... when said solutions work--or look like they are successful... I can see our arrangements getting sweeter. The relief will make the people, that is the lower ranks, momentarily numb and give us a window of opportunity where anything could happen.

EU Dude: (thinking and preening) Really?

European Elitist: No doubt about it.

EU Dude: Well, of course something effective can be done. It must be done. Does the idea of stronger borders appeal to you? Would that appeal to your citizens?

European Elitist: Absolutely. But now that people are used to loose borders and wandering about like nomads, how would we do that?

EU Dude: Have you ever heard of something called COVID-19?

They talk long into the night. Stronger borders it became. And no one of importance among the populations of the different EU countries complained about the change in border policies. 

That's just one off the top of my head. 

Michael

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The crop of billionaires today are mixed-economy pragmatists. Very few, openly moral stalwarts of individualism and capitalism. Down lower, there are hundreds/thousands of smaller businessmen and industrialists who are more deserving of a "heroic" status. Rationalism by Journo: the more wealth, the greater *must be* someone's accomplishments and virtues(and we need our heroes!).

"Try to imagine being stuck at home during the pre-digital age without..."

I told D that, she instantly spotted the causal flaw. Absent of the devices and internet we wouldn't be forcibly "stuck at home"; masses of people would rebel, governments wouldn't attempt it. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Michael Stuart Kelly said:

Ellen,

 

Whether all this misinformation is due to a One True and Only Plot by an evil mastermind like a James Bond villain, or a push for a technocratic dictatorship by...

Michael

It's worse, Michael. A single villain is identifiable -- and, well, villainous. This is a blob of bland, blobby people who immediately recognize one another. And carry the outer image of doing a universal good. As much as they can "mean" anything, they mean to plan our lives.

Something stinks alright. For now I'm sticking with the pandemic as a fortuitous happenstance to the power grabbers and sacrificers.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

One irony I've noticed, re: corona conspiracies, or, "My conspiracy theory can beat up your theory!": Amazing Polly is calling out the "Q Continuum" for the emphasis on stuff like pizzagate, and the cannibal posts, but is pushing the theory that 5G is possible responsible for making the virus worse, and encouraging people to ditch their smart phones...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, anthony said:

A single villain is identifiable -- and, well, villainous. This is a blob of bland, blobby people who immediately recognize one another. And carry the outer image of doing a universal good. As much as they can "mean" anything, they mean to plan our lives.

Something stinks alright. For now I'm sticking with the pandemic as a fortuitous happenstance to the power grabbers and sacrificers.

“It's not a conspiracy, it’s a consensus.” — the late Chuck Harder

Mark
ARIwatch

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

British Prime Minister Boris Johnson is getting better.

Yay.

Also, here's an interesting stat from Rush Limbaugh:

New York Hospitalization Models Were Way Off Too

Quote

Can anybody tell me — wild guess — if you know what the total number of coronavirus deaths in the United States as of this day is? Let’s review the numbers. We started out with 2.2 million were gonna die if we did nothing (we were never gonna do nothing), and then they said hundred thousand to 200,000, and then they said 1,000 to 240,000. Now the revised number is down to 60,000.

You know what the actual death toll from coronavirus in the United States is as of this moment? It’s about 14,831 — 14,831 deaths. We’ve got a long way to go to get 60, and this was gonna be the peak week. This was gonna be the apocalypse, remember? This week and next week. 

Like Rush says, the doomsayers always win in these things. If the situation goes bad, they say they were right. If the situation does not pan out in the disaster they said, they claim the measures people took due to their doomsaying is the reason.

At no time are they wrong for the press. 

But think. They destroyed a roaring economy lived in and operated by hundreds of millions of people because of about 15,000 deaths. That's a slanted way to say it, but still... Goddam it.

Bah...

I'm with this guy:

Also, I'm getting sick and tired of destructive world-changing policies being imposed on everyone because of computer models.

Acting on a computer model that is fed with data is NOT the same thing as acting based on that same data. To be more precise, it is acting based on the conclusions on a model, not acting on any conclusions based on data that is looked at from various angles (as it should be). Yet dazzling with a computer model and data switcheroonie is exactly how these models are sold to inflict massive change on massive numbers of people and set up one goddam world council after another.

Computer models are good for speculating about a situation. They are turning out to be horrible as standards of worldwide policy.

Reality, not computer models, should be the standard.

And it might help if the people who are going to bear massive losses were asked if that's what they wanted. Authoritarians say no. They know what's best, not the ones paying for it. And they always point to their damn computer models as the reason. And people swallow the con. And manmade damage to society ensues. 

It's time for this crap to stop.

Michael

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, Michael Stuart Kelly said:

Also, here's an interesting stat from Rush Limbaugh:

New York Hospitalization Models Were Way Off Too

Like Rush says, the doomsayers always win in these things. If the situation goes bad, they say they were right. If the situation does not pan out in the disaster they said, they claim the measures people took due to their doomsaying is the reason.

 

"In the Simpson’s episode Much Apu About Nothing, Ned Flanders spots a bear on the street, which prompts the whole town to crusade against bears and to create a Bear Patrol."

Homer
: Not a bear in sight. The Bear Patrol must be working like a charm.
Lisa: That’s specious reasoning, Dad.
Homer: Thank you, dear.
Lisa: By your logic I could claim that this rock keeps tigers away.
Homer: Oh, how does it work?
Lisa: It doesn’t work.
Homer: Uh-huh.
Lisa: It’s just a stupid rock.
Homer: Uh-huh.
Lisa: But I don’t see any tigers around, do you?
[Homer thinks of this, then pulls out some money]
Homer: Lisa, I want to buy your rock.
[Lisa refuses at first, then takes the exchange]
 

(And, of course, after Mayor Quimby deploys a bear patrol, Homer is angry to learn his taxes have increased five dollars to maintain the patrol...)


https://www.getelastic.com/lisa-simpson-gets-why-correlation-does-not-imply-causation

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Observing people all over Tucson I'd say the CCP virus fear has peaked. It was imposed top down. Fear wears itself out 

--Brant

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It's possible I had a CCP virus causing symptoms in February. It was the strangest thing. It started with two weeks of sniffles followed by an atypical head cold that tried to involve my throat. For two or three days when I woke up in the morning I blew a small wad of blood out of my left nostril with some tendency to bleed out of the other. After a week or 10 days the cold went away but the sniffles continued for a week or two.

There is no test that says the above was caused by the virus. 

There are 50 to 250 common viruses that can cause colds. Since I had no fever I'm calling it a cold.

I judge I'm like 20 years physiologically younger than my 76 years. That's because of how well I can drive a car and my ancestors tend to be long lived. Cardiology wouldn't even be a medical specialty if all were like me. "Heart disease" would be a comedy routine.

Having driven a million miles in 55 years I'm a better driver than I've ever been. And I like to drive fairly fast. That doesn't mean I'd take it to the race track. It means I learn something new everyday. The last important thing I've finally mastered is the safe start and go number one at a red light. First after the light turns green you don't go anywhere for two seconds. You are looking left then right then left again and really SEEING what you are looking at. It doesn't matter how light the trsffic is. There are NO exceptions. Exceptions will get you T-boned by a red light runner. And this can't just be an idea in your head. You must hard train this into your body and your brain. 

The most dangerous standard driving maneuver, generally speaking, is the left turn from a red light.

Traffic lights are extremely dangerous but necessary for traffic facilitation. You don't want to be hit by a 40mph red light runner slamming into the driver's door.

--Brant

I've been driving a cab every day for nearly four years about 100 hours a week just off a 15 day break caused by the economic collapse plus I've done 400,000 miles in a semi-tractor 44 states and 2 Canadian provinces with only one slight bump on the head to a passenger which makes me a very lucky driver

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, Mark said:

“It's not a conspiracy, it’s a consensus.” — the late Chuck Harder

Mark
ARIwatch

 

Mark, You have loads of fascinating material at ARIwatch, insightful and usually entertaining. Much to learn about. I'm rather sad to say, for the prospects of Objectivism, that I think you are generally right about the direction of official Objectivism. E.g. The "consensus" of knee-jerk slights and predictions of President Trump's intentions before he was hardly in Office, are telling. (Intrinsicism, the intellectuals should themselves know). And later one sees the identical ridiculous, unjust and emotive responses which come from the MSM and are heard from ARI, always to belittle never to objectively credit him. Leftist politics appears to have suffused the institution, I've mentioned how many articles lately have a Left tinge.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Brant Gaede said:

Having driven a million miles in 55 years I'm a better driver than I've ever been. And I like to drive fairly fast. That doesn't mean I'd take it to the race track. It means I learn something new everyday. The last important thing I've finally mastered is the safe start and go number one at a red light. First after the light turns green you don't go anywhere for two seconds. You are looking left then right then left again and really SEEING what you are looking at. It doesn't matter how light the trsffic is. There are NO exceptions. Exceptions will get you T-boned by a red light runner. And this can't just be an idea in your head. You must hard train this into your body and your brain. 

The most dangerous standard driving maneuver, generally speaking, is the left turn from a red light.

Traffic lights are extremely dangerous but necessary for traffic facilitation. You don't want to be hit by a 40mph red light runner slamming into the driver's door.

--Brant

 

Hi Brant, I adopted the same habit way back! A short count before taking off at the robot (lights). Gone the days I took off like a drag race. Another trick is watching for the other stationary car's wheel "spokes" begin to turn, not only the car motion, to quicker spot when they begin accelerating. And "the virus" is supposed to be the No.1 danger to worry everyone....wait to see the 'spike' in accidents on the road when everybody takes their cars out for the first time after this shut down. Non rational and unconscious drivers remain the bigger threat.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, Brant Gaede said:

It's possible I had a CCP virus causing symptoms in February. It was the strangest thing. It started with two weeks of sniffles followed by an atypical head cold that tried to involve my throat. For two or three days when I woke up in the morning I blew a small wad of blood out of my left nostril with some tendency to bleed out of the other. After a week or 10 days the cold went away but the sniffles continued for a week or two.

There is no test that says the above was caused by the virus. 

There are 50 to 250 common viruses that can cause colds. Since I had no fever I'm calling it a cold.

I judge I'm like 20 years physiologically younger than my 76 years. That's because of how well I can drive a car and my ancestors tend to be long lived. Cardiology wouldn't even be a medical specialty if all were like me. "Heart disease" would be a comedy routine.

Having driven a million miles in 55 years I'm a better driver than I've ever been. And I like to drive fairly fast. That doesn't mean I'd take it to the race track. It means I learn something new everyday. The last important thing I've finally mastered is the safe start and go number one at a red light. First after the light turns green you don't go anywhere for two seconds. You are looking left then right then left again and really SEEING what you are looking at. It doesn't matter how light the trsffic is. There are NO exceptions. Exceptions will get you T-boned by a red light runner. And this can't just be an idea in your head. You must hard train this into your body and your brain. 

The most dangerous standard driving maneuver, generally speaking, is the left turn from a red light.

Traffic lights are extremely dangerous but necessary for traffic facilitation. You don't want to be hit by a 40mph red light runner slamming into the driver's door.

--Brant

I've been driving a cab every day for nearly four years about 100 hours a week just off a 15 day break caused by the economic collapse plus I've done 400,000 miles in a semi-tractor 44 states and 2 Canadian provinces with only one slight bump on the head to a passenger which makes me a very lucky driver

Since age 14 I've been riding on 2 wheels. Every motorcycle course Ive taken indicates the left turn across traffic as the most dangerous because oncoming traffic either can't see you or isn't looking for the relatively odd rider. Old adage is look for yourself! The 5 miles closest to your home are also some of the most dangerous seeing how most drive it more often and take the ride for granted. As for waiting behind the driver at a red light it aggravates me to no end knowing were he me he'd always look for things that can take me out.  The two incidences that led to my bike falling over were unexpected parking lot asphalt upheavals and country forks with roadside gravel. Beyond that getting on 2 wheels was never a deterrent even after coming home after delivering a Wa Po route with my little sister on the handlebars. The 5 hp Bridgestone engine seized and we went a## over teakettle and was the first of two times that summer I broke my collarbone.

I judge this SARS-CoV-2 virus as nothing really "novel". I thought getting it would be a good thing to laugh off of in the face of danger knowing my general good health has held me in good stead and it would calm the nerves to know there is really nothing to fear in the aftermath. Up to this point I've lived through at least 3 "pandemics", the first in '57(Asian) was a real humdinger, the 2nd in '68(Hong Kong) and then '09(Swine). I know the latest version is supposed to be awful but can't bring myself to fear something natural other than the obvious. I'm pretty sure you need a good dose of germs to stay alive. I have the relative safety of my rural area.

You must derive a benefit other than $ for driving 100 hrs pw. Beyond sleeping you might eek out 2 hrs to call your own. Most of my day is built around physical activity. Another reason why I don't tolerate the life suck on forums. Been there, did that. If you were to ask, I suppose kegels could be done while driving. 😉

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/7/2020 at 8:09 PM, Michael Stuart Kelly said:

Bill Gates is turning out to be one interesting dude.

More on Bill Gates.

Bill Gates wants to use people the world over as lab rats, not just people in impoverished places.

btw - Kat and I briefly met Robert Kennedy at an autism conference. We did it at from a book signing line, but we still did it. I think he sensed I was not liberal. :) But he's fighting the good fight, so I applaud that and let him have his peculiar persuasions without bashing him too much for them. :) 

Incidentally, President Trump was going to get Robert Kennedy to look into the vaccine cartel in the beginning of the Trump presidency. But as he is want to do, he consulted many specialists. Bill Gates told him to not do that and he accepted that advice at the time. I think he was dazzled by the sheer quantity of money and activity in vaccines Bill Gates has deployed. I doubt this will last.

(As an aside, sorry, the first minute or so of the video is a commercial for a neutraceutical to enhance collagen. This is supposed to fight aging and make you look younger. Bill Still is probably not the best poster boy for that message. :) )

Michael

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The same opinions I have about genetically modified agriculture. If you, the farmer or consumer alike see and derive benefit from it, nothing to stop you.

Compulsory vaccination, by govt. and philanthropic Messiah (let alone, experiments on compliant, unsophisticated people) is immoral. The parents, and later the adult, alone, choose.

When it's known that new viruses and strains are regularly springing up - one could say in a sense: nature's sifting out the weak (by consequence, without the '"intent" and retribution attributed by many like the Pope, recently) -  the vaccination is a rear-guard action, preventing the one that occurred last year while ineffective against a new one. AND, with possible risks and dangers now and long term to the human immune system. The promoted vision of those with that messianic complex is overtly a disease-free world population, we'd imagine. It also promotes covertly a world-wide compliance, iow, by force, gradually shifting masses of people into a habit of wider, ideological subjugation. As is clear with this pandemic, when someone else's idea of your 'good' - and coercion - run together, there's altruism.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...