Coronavirus

Peter

On 4/1/2020 at 12:46 PM, Michael Stuart Kelly said:

But do not trust anything coming out of the press.

Especially do not believe the "death from coronavirus" stuff.

Of course there are people dying of the coronavirus. But the media is starting to be busted over and over about recording the cause of a death as coronavirus, then it turns out the person died of something else.

Here is an article Rush Limbaugh mentioned today:

How deadly is the coronavirus? It’s still far from clear
There is room for different interpretations of the data
by Dr. John Lee
The Spectator
Issue 28 MAR 2020

Here's the problem from a systemic lens (my bold):

... there’s another, potentially even more serious problem: the way that deaths are recorded. If someone dies of a respiratory infection in the UK, the specific cause of the infection is not usually recorded, unless the illness is a rare ‘notifiable disease’. So the vast majority of respiratory deaths in the UK are recorded as bronchopneumonia, pneumonia, old age or a similar designation. We don’t really test for flu, or other seasonal infections. If the patient has, say, cancer, motor neurone disease or another serious disease, this will be recorded as the cause of death, even if the final illness was a respiratory infection. This means UK certifications normally under-record deaths due to respiratory infections.

Now look at what has happened since the emergence of Covid-19. The list of notifiable diseases has been updated. This list — as well as containing smallpox (which has been extinct for many years) and conditions such as anthrax, brucellosis, plague and rabies (which most UK doctors will never see in their entire careers) — has now been amended to include Covid-19. But not flu. That means every positive test for Covid-19 must be notified, in a way that it just would not be for flu or most other infections.

In the current climate, anyone with a positive test for Covid-19 will certainly be known to clinical staff looking after them: if any of these patients dies, staff will have to record the Covid-19 designation on the death certificate — contrary to usual practice for most infections of this kind. There is a big difference between Covid-19 causing death, and Covid-19 being found in someone who died of other causes. Making Covid-19 notifiable might give the appearance of it causing increasing numbers of deaths, whether this is true or not. It might appear far more of a killer than flu, simply because of the way deaths are recorded.

That's innocent. That's not the icky part. That's an understandable problem that can be fixed by fixing the system.

Stories like the following are the icky part.

image.png

But there's something even more ickier.

Social media, mainstream news, search engines, and so on are scrubbing these stories from public access just as soon at the "control the narrative" goons detect them.

For instance, in the tweet above (which is a screenshot because I don't trust Twitter to leave it up), I don't know the tweeter, but he is tweeting in response to someone else. And that someone else's tweet is no longer available. What's worse, the article from The Guardian mentioned in his tweet and linked to has been removed from The Guardian site.

I've read about several cases here in the US of debunked reporting of coronaviurs deaths, but for the life of me, I can't find them anymore. I was just now searching to present the ones I remembered in this post. But it's magic, folks.

Poof.

They are gone.

The press is doing this on purpose. They don't want you to be rational and take correct precautions.

They want you to panic.

If you want to keep up with the fake reporting on coronavirus deaths that are later debunked and deleted, you have to be sneaky. Doing a normal search shows you just how worthless the search engines are right now. All you get is curated mainstream controlled narrative. So don't use the word "coronavirus" or "COVID-19" in your search queries. Use phrases like the following:

wrongly reported death

... and sort the list in chronological order, with newest coming first.

You should see the latest one or two since people talk about these things. 

If something catches your eye and you want to save it for later, take screenshots. If it is about a real case where a person was reported as dead because of the coronavirus, but later it was discovered that this was wrong, that article, tweet or whatever will soon be deleted or hidden in some manner.

Bastards!

Michael

OAN Networks Liz Wheeler interviewed a Dr whose views were anything less than testing the entire population won't work to stop spread. The nasal swab 7 minute test is still in development but with a wave of the hand the Dr says Trump can be a hero. He discussed a $600 B budget for it in two waves approx 2 weeks apart when everyone can again self test. He has a web site that I forgot.

Holes appeared as soon as he stopped talking. 20+ M illegal immigrants would evade the sweep rendering the whole "everyone" aspect suspect. And he advocates for use of force IF (?) for some reason someone chooses not to self isolate. But he picks up from there calling for subsidies to "encourage" self iso, whatever he meant by that. Anything less than camps would be unenforceable for such a large pool.

Perhaps the best that can be said of this questionable approach is it offers Trump a graceful exit from the path he set us on.

Here in Virginia, despite the Governor, I feel free to come and go as I please. Im playing pickleball outdoors Saturday. Im most discouraged over the cancellation of a stem cell procedure for torn meniscus' and plasma therapy for basal arthritis through Regenexx. The body is falling apart but my heart is full.

Having lived through at least 2 pandemics ('57-116,000 US deaths, '68 100k US deaths)and knowing no one close died as a result I'm left thinking either this latest is a century one off or someone has it wrong. Either way somethings going to kill me but I'd hoped it wasn't deliberate. 

7 hours ago, Michael Stuart Kelly said:

Bastards!

To add to my comments in that post, the following by Polly is really, really disturbing.

It looks like they duped President Trump, at least about the Elmhurst hospital conditions in New York. Long lines of sick-looking people at the hospital were filmed and the video narrated by a lady specialized in simulation, Colleen Smith--and the press ran with it like wildfire. 

I would not want to be them when President Trump discovers he was duped.

And notice how many high-ranking Democrats are involved in dubious reporting on the coronavirus hysteria. People who work politically with former presidential primary candidates Amy Klobuchar and Kirsten Gillibrand, and Senator Schumer for good measure.

Polly also asked about the celebrities and specific people getting infected with the coronavirus, like Chris Cuomo (a CNN anchor and the brother of New York Governor Andrew Cuomo), the lady who made the Elmhurst hospital video that is probably a simulation (Colleen Smith), etc.

Apropos, citizen journalism is filming the hysteria in hospitals. They look awfully calm and empty compared to the mainstream news. Here's a lady Polly mentioned who made a compilation.

Then there's this little issue Polly brought up. The doctors in NY are being told to decide who lives and dies re treatment for coronavirus. But there are people who ask the doctors and they hear practically all the time from every doctor they ask that the doctors would never do such a thing, it's against everything they swore to do as doctors. They could not personally stomach the idea of doing that.

Yet the mainstream news keep doing what they are doing. And it's wrong.

Let me repeat.

Bastards!

Michael

I posted this on the wrong thread, but what the hell.

6 minutes ago, Michael Stuart Kelly said:

I don't know if there is anything else behind this, but if true... 

Are you friggin' kidding me?!!!

BROKEN MODELS: The CDC Doctors Screwed Up Bigly! USNS Comfort in NY Harbor Sits Idle with 3 Patients -- USNS Mercy in LA has Only 15 Patients

These are big-ass ships.

Ask yourself the following if you are in a panic: If I allow evil people to destroy the society around me, will that help my panic?

Get rational, people.

There are things--effective things--that can be done about COVID-19, but they start with correctly identifying reality.

If Objectivism means anything, it means identifying reality to the best of one's ability.

And one big honking part of reality is that the media sucks right now. It promotes panic on purpose with lies--with INCORRECTLY identifying reality.

There is a widespread medical situation that requires diligence, but panic is making people do all the wrong things.

As to the double post, I got tripped up by the double-posting of a single link as content. (Some discussion, huh? Come on, Merlin...)

So I'll just leave it up over there. 

Double post on the same forum is discussion, right?

There are situations where this is valid, but as a habit, some might call it spam...

Michael

Maybe the ships are intended for other victims? Trump and military announced total war on [Mitt’s] Mexican drug and human trafficking operations. Many previously trafficked victims currently held inside US? Commander in Chief empowered to destroy domestic enemies? Total war coming with some near death to be freed, protected, and healed?

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Jon Letendre said:

Maybe the ships are intended for other victims? Trump and military announced total war on [Mitt’s] Mexican drug and human trafficking operations. Many previously trafficked victims currently held inside US? Commander in Chief empowered to destroy domestic enemies? Total war coming with some near death to be freed, protected, and healed?

Jon,

That would be great.

It still doesn't make me any happier about how the press is ginning up massive panic in society with stories that fizzle in the end.

Michael

33 minutes ago, Michael Stuart Kelly said:

Jon,

That would be great.

It still doesn't make me any happier about how the press is ginning up massive panic in society with stories that fizzle in the end.

Michael

At first, Rachel Maddow was saying those ships wouldn't get there in time...now, they're crowing about the lack of patients?
I can't, with these people...just can't.

• Like 1

On 3/30/2020 at 9:38 PM, Brant Gaede said:

And as good as I've read so far too.

--Brant

Yes, an all in one article.

"Contrary to media reports, “the current scientific consensus is that that most transmission via respiratory secretions happens in the form of large respiratory droplets…rather than small aerosols,” and those heavy droplets typically fall soon after they’re released. This is important, as it directly impacts the usefulness and advisability of extreme social distancing measures. You have to be quite close to an infected person for a significant length of time, or unlucky to acquire the infection through droplets in the air."

The action starts at 4:40. Micro droplets. Its a small world after all. A river runs through the room starting with a waterfall.

On 4/2/2020 at 12:26 AM, Brant Gaede said:

Because the virus induces pneumonia the pneumonia is not susceptible to antibiotics so the spread rate and death rates are still climbing. Flu is in your head. This is in your lungs. This is why ventilators are needed. If you need such you'll have about an 80 percent chance of dying after about 10 days.

I got this from Dr Duc (sp?) Voung videos.

Did you mean Dr. Duc C. Vuong?

Posted on Worldometers Friday, 4/03/20, about 8:00 pm GMT:

Worldometers link:

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/

Italy: the real number of COVID-19 cases in the country could be 5,000,0000 (compared to the 119,827 confirmed ones) according to a study which polled people with symptoms who have not been tested, and up to 10,000,000 or even 20,0000,000 after taking into account asymptomatic cases, according to Carlo La Vecchia, a Professor of Medical Statistics and Epidemiology at the Statale di Milano University.

This number would still be insufficient to reach herd immunity, which would require 2/3 of the population (about 40,000,000 people in Italy) having contracted the virus [source]. [*]

The number of deaths could also be underestimated by 3/4 (in Italy as well as in other countries) [source], meaning that the real number of deaths in Italy could be around 60,000.

If these estimates were true, the mortality rate from COVID-19  would be much lower (around 25 times less) than the case fatality rate based solely on laboratory-confirmed cases and deaths, since it would be underestimating cases (the denominator) by a factor of about 1/100 and deaths by a factor of 1/4.

https://rep.repubblica.it/pwa/locali/2020/04/03/news/milano_la_ricerca_dell_universita_statale_i_contagi_reali_in_italia_potrebbero_essere_5_milioni_-253027121/?ref=RHPPTP-BH-I253056306-C12-P3-S5.4-T

The linked source is in Italian, which I can't read.  I don't know any details of the study and can't evaluate it methodologically.

Ellen

Regarding the video in this post. (There's no other way to show it as a quote without editing the post. Look what happened in Brant's post above. So link it is for now.)

Sometimes unhappy accidents happen with thumbnails.

Say, a person comes across this video and doesn't know what it's about.

The words say coronavirus, but the visual?

If you don't know the doodle represents lungs, this thing looks really weird...

image.png

:)

Michael

1 hour ago, Ellen Stuttle said:

The linked source is in Italian, which I can't read.  I don't know any details of the study and can't evaluate it methodologically.

Ellen,

I ran what I could through Google Translate. Here it is raw.

The research of the State University: "The real infections in Italy? It could be 5 million"
APRIL 03 2020
The data were collected between March 27 and 30 on a sample of a thousand people between 18 and 85 years old
BY TIZIANA DE GIORGIO

4/5

5 COMMENTS
Coronavirus cases "are probably at least a hundred times higher than the official bulletin numbers." To say are the researchers of the State University of Milan: the group of scholars of the epidemiologist Carlo La Vecchia coordinated a Doxa investigation to hypothesize the number of submerged cases of Covid-19 throughout the national territory. At least 5 million people could be infected in Italy. One million only in Lombardy. The data ...

The rest of the article is behind a paywall of some sort that is an image. I suppose I could OCR the image and run that through Google Translate, but nah... Too much of a hassle at this point. As to me signing up over there, no way.

Hope that helps something.

Michael

On 4/2/2020 at 8:45 PM, Michael Stuart Kelly said:

I've read about several cases here in the US of debunked reporting of coronaviurs deaths, but for the life of me, I can't find them anymore. I was just now searching to present the ones I remembered in this post. But it's magic, folks.

Poof.

They are gone.

The press is doing this on purpose. They don't want you to be rational and take correct precautions.

It looks like I'm not the only one complaining about this.

Citizen journalism to the rescue.

Michael

• Like 1

The lady spoke self-evident truth. What absorbs me about the leftist mindset, they don't see "self-evident" facts, only a public construct of "truth". That's why you can't catch them out in lies and deceit, you can't shame them, they individually haven't the self-awareness to "know" what they're doing. Precisely as they could not, ever, justly attribute the president's influence on causing a booming US economy, they'll attempt to make the public associate with and attribute the subsequent coronavirus economic slump, to him. Followers with the same mindset will lap it up. Self-contradiction? Double standards, hypocrisy? Nope, that can't possibly occur to any. This thing's an anti-epistemic pandemic. 😉

• Like 1

7 hours ago, anthony said:

This thing's an anti-epistemic pandemic.

Tony,

That's what's running me crazy.

And the thing is, fear is making people turn off their brains. That, at medium range, not even at long rage, is more dangerous to civilization than the virus itself. That will cause far more death and destruction than this virus. Aren't the deaths from the virus enough? Why cause more?

We humans can face a disaster and use our brains at the same time.

Oh well... What's happening now is human nature in all its glory. I've studied a lot of the underbelly of the mind and can practically predict the way the herd will go, but I've never seen anything real that shows it on this scale before.

What's worse, the bad guys are using their brains. Everything they are doing is aimed at gaining and consolidating power and, by extension, money. That's what they want. Thant's what they are doing. And people are letting them.

I refuse to be a part of that.

There is great good in the American spirit. Don't forget, Rand herself came out of the American spirit. The US was founded on the idea that man can govern himself through a participatory structure based on individual rights, not just conquest of the herd.

I refuse to let fear kill that spirit in me.

(No offense to South Africa. :) )

Michael

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Michael Stuart Kelly said:

Tony,

That's what's running me crazy.

And the thing is, fear is making people turn off their brains. That, at medium range, not even at long rage, is more dangerous to civilization than the virus itself. That will cause far more death and destruction than this virus. Aren't the deaths from the virus enough? Why cause more?

We humans can face a disaster and use our brains at the same time.

Oh well... What's happening now is human nature in all its glory. I've studied a lot of the underbelly of the mind and can practically predict the way the herd will go, but I've never seen anything real that shows it on this scale before.

What's worse, the bad guys are using their brains. Everything they are doing is aimed at gaining and consolidating power and, by extension, money. That's what they want. Thant's what they are doing. And people are letting them.

I refuse to be a part of that.

There is great good in the American spirit. Don't forget, Rand herself came out of the American spirit. The US was founded on the idea that man can govern himself through a participatory structure based on individual rights, not just conquest of the herd.

I refuse to let fear kill that spirit in me.

(No offense to South Africa. :) )

Michael

Michael, that's why I stay absorbed by the left's mindset. And because they crop up in every place, so identically. I often remark on how exactly in tune the Lefties I know here, are with American ones: same responses, e.g. "virtue signalling", Trump blaming, etc. like they are all wired together. Perhaps a little obsessively I watch and listen to them especially those in media, and try to work out their behavior and premises.

Brains and education, erudition and a generally pleasing manner, they nearly always have, but there seems something missing.

The money lust doesn't quite satisfy me. (Get the power, the money follows, as you said).

Power over what or whom? and why? takes me closer.

There is a lack in such people, I can only call the soul (a consciousness) and I think in that lack is the dread of others' souls/minds. Something twisted, results in the desire to ultimately control those minds and bodies of others. When they can't, when they meet resistance,  that's when the viciousness erupts.

One of the last lines I still remember from the Bible is apt: For what does it profit a man if he shall gain the whole world and lose his soul?

What Rand would call self-abnegation, giving up the 'self', the sacrifice of one's highest value to lesser ones.

(South Africa? Ah man. The country just got downgraded to junk status by Moody's. Everybody's in lockdown for another 2 weeks. This is going to get interesting...)