Consciousness as true vacuum

atlashead

The consciousness of all sentient animals resides in the head and the head can't exist in its natural, unprotected form, in a vacuum. Matter and electricity compose the "origins" of consciousness. Now how it got there . . . . let me ask Michaelangelo.  

• 3 months later...

Consciousness obviously isn't a vacuum because of what Peter said, but perhaps awareness is. Perhaps there is no great leap from unconsciousness to consciousness, and instead there are degrees based on specific combinations of material.

The difference between awareness and consciousness is memory. The more memory available, the more context for the present moment. I imagine the observer, the thing that experiences, is the same in all living things, but the data created in the brain, that is unique to consciousness and a specific person/entity is basically encoded with our memories and idea of self. This way, for all intents and purposes, we are not connected...

16 hours ago, Dglgmut said:

Consciousness obviously isn't a vacuum because of what Peter said, but perhaps awareness is.

Ah, Jules. Consciousness and awareness do not occur in a vacuum. Even if an astronaut is in space he is not in a vacuum when ET phone home! 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Peter said:

Ah, Jules. Consciousness and awareness do not occur in a vacuum. Even if an astronaut is in space he is not in a vacuum when ET phone home! 

One of the examples I found interesting was the diary accounts of a Doctor that as his day to day accounts changed when his mental illness progressed.  His sense of an “I” identity slowly left when his voices became stronger, his awareness of time also leaving, but also returning when he actually got better.  Neat stuff.