Iran and President Trump

Iran and President Trump

Right now I don't have much to say except when President Trump warns and threatens, he's not Obama.

As to the event, I want to make sure I have a proper understanding of the facts before I shoot off my mouth. As I understand it right now, Iran was responsible for killing a US contractor in Iraq and was behind the attempted storming of the US Embassy in Iraq.

Iran's top general, Qassem Soleimani, was just now in Iraq and behind these and other hostile activities. General Soleimani was killed out earlier today in a US airstrike at Baghdad’s international airport.

Iran is not amused.

I bet the Obama insiders are not too happy, too.

But the Neocons are celebrating.

Here's a typical news article giving some of the facts (and hopefully these facts are correct):

US kills Iran’s most powerful general in Baghdad strike

President Trump tweeted only one thing about this so far (about a couple of hours ago):

My favorite comment so far is more nuanced than simple facts, though:

:)

Here is a screenshot just in case it gets taken down by Twitter.

image.png

That's so good, it deserves another smiley.

I might be wrong, but I doubt this will end up in war. President Trump plays a long game and I am almost certain a hell of a lot has been going on backstage for quite some time to preemptively contain escalation to war from this surprise attack--and others if they happen.

Michael

I read the Iranian general was killed at Iraq’s international airport. I doubt many Iraqis give a pig’s snout, but it will be tense in the region in the week to come. It would be interesting if America takes out the Iranian parliament the next time they start their DAILY chant of “Death to America!” Hmmm? Maybe Pelosi will start a majority democratic house chant of “Death to Iran?”

Notes. From Wikipedia. The Iran–Iraq War began on 22 September 1980, when Iraq invaded Iran, and it ended on 20 August 1988, when Iran accepted the UN-brokered ceasefire. Iraq wanted to replace Iran as the dominant Persian Gulf state . . . .  After eight years, war-weariness, economic problems, decreased morale, repeated Iranian military failures, recent Iraqi successes, Iraqi use of weapons of mass destruction. lack of international sympathy, and increased U.S.–Iran military tension all led to a ceasefire brokered by the United Nations . . . . . The discourses on martyrdom formulated in the Iranian Shite context led to the tactics of "human wave attacks" and thus had a lasting impact on the dynamics of the war. An estimated 500,000 Iraqi and Iranian soldiers died, in addition to a smaller number of civilians. The end of the war resulted in neither reparations nor border changes.

A compilation of Iranian responses from Business Insider. Peter

Iran's supreme leader warns a 'harsh retaliation is waiting' for the US, after an American airstrike killed top Iranian general Qasem Soleimani.As Iran awakes to the news that Qasem Soleimani, a top Iranian general, was killed by the US military, official responses are beginning to appear. The Iranian foreign minister called the US move "extremely dangerous," "international terrorism," and a "foolish escalation" while a senior military official vowed that Iran would have its revenge. An adviser to Iranian President Hassan Rouhani said that the US had crossed a "red line" and must "be ready to face its consequences." Iranian Supreme Leader Ayatollah Ali Khamenei warned that "harsh retaliation is waiting" for the US as he declared a three-day mourning period for the general.

Iranian Supreme Leader Ayatollah Ali Khamenei warned Friday that "harsh retaliation is waiting" for the US after an American airstrike killed Qasem Soleimani, a top Iranian general and the head of the Islamic Revolutionary Guard Corps' Quds Force, in Iraq. In the statement, which was carried by state television and posted online, Khamenei also declared a three-day mourning period for the commander, the Associated Press reported. His warnings followed several earlier Iranian reactions.

One of the first reactions came from senior IRGC official and Iranian politician Mohsen Rezaee, who wrote: "We will take vigorous revenge on America." Iranian Foreign Minister Javad Zarif then sharply criticized the US strike on Soleimani, calling the move "extremely dangerous" and a "foolish escalation." "The US bears responsibility for all consequences of its rogue adventurism," the minister said on Twitter as Iranians awoke to the news that the notorious commander of the infamous Islamic Revolutionary Guard Corps Quds Force is dead. Soleimani was a respected figure in Iran who led the elite Quds Force for over two decades and reported only to Iran's supreme leader.

State television, which had canceled broadcasts to focus on the death of the Iranian general, called the US move a major miscalculation, stating that "the people of the region will no longer allow Americans to stay." The Iranian reactions followed an announcement from the Department of Defense that the US military, acting on the orders of President Donald Trump, "has taken decisive defensive action to protect US personnel abroad by killing Qasem Soleimani."

The US said that Soleimani is directly and indirectly responsible for the deaths of hundreds of US service members over the years, as well as more recent attacks on US personnel. The Pentagon said that the general was planning additional attacks that threatened US personnel and interests in the region. "This strike was aimed at deterring future Iranian attack plans," the Pentagon explained.

Ellen,

Happy banging New Year right back at you.

I've read in several places that Soleimani helped engineer the 2012 Benghazi attack that killed Ambassador Christopher Stevens (see here for example).

In other words, in addition to current hostilities, President Trump is cleaning up Obama and Clinton's mess by taking out Soleimani.

Michael

Hello. I am da former Governator ov Callyfornia, Arnold. Da use of ah drone is interesting. No American lives put at risk. Havwee become Da Terminator? I vood rather be Da Terminator, than da terminatee. Just ask Sarah Connor.  

Linda Hamilton, born in Salisbury, Maryland, USA, following high school Linda studied for two years at Washington College in Chestertown, Maryland, before moving on to acting studies in New York. In New York she attended acting workshops given by Lee Strasberg. Her first parts were small parts in TV series, with her biggest break coming with her role in The Terminator (1984). Most known to public at large from her part in the TV series Beauty and the Beast (1987) (before Terminator 2: Judgment Day (1991), at least).

Leaving. I see we just attacked more of the bastards a few minutes ago. The beat goes on. Apparently we are not just locked and loaded, we are hunting.

Mark Styen Filling in for Rush today asked, ”What country has the most cases of gender modification? Thailand. People voluntarily go there for sex change operations. What country has the second most gender modifications? Iran. Why? Because Iran proudly says it has no homosexuals. If a boy or young man seems feminine or homosexual he is operated on to turn him into a woman . . . against his will. 

btw - In relation to the quip that Kim Jong-un shit his pants with the killing of General Soleimani, I got to thinking about someone else.

When President Trump got inaugurated, he openly said he didn't want to hurt "those people," meaning Hillary Clinton and her cohorts. This was despite constant chants of "Lock her up!" at his rallies.

Yet she kept pushing to destroy him, especially through a cabal in the intelligence community, the fake news mainstream media and the Deep State in general. One After the impeachment articles passed the House, I doubt he still adheres to in such a forgiving mood. But I don't think any of them took it all that seriously until the killing of Iran's top general.

Now I bet they don't sleep well at night. And I bet some of them shit their pants. Literally. Not because they are afraid that President Trump will kill them. But because he will lock them up for real, all prim and proper according to the American judicial system, with no way out.

Michael

• Like 1

The authenticity of the video below is not confirmed, but even if it turns out not to be the Soleimani hit, it is probably what such a hit looks like.

Keepin' it real...

On the Internet, people like to throw around slogans easily. (Not so much on OL, of course. :) )

But it's good to pause and look. That video is what a slogan looks like in reality from the bomber command screen.

Let's call it a conceptual referent.

Michael

Breaking news at 1:07pm 1/4/2020. Missiles hit Green Zone and Iraq base housing US troops: security sources. And so it begins again . . . . 

Imagine starting your prayers by chanting, “Death to America!” What if Iran had atomic bombs? What if Iran were a super power? If they get to a more powerful level of influence they could be as bad as Nazi Germany, or The Soviet Union. However I am still hopeful Iran can be contained and eventually “changed” by its citizens. I am still for peace through strength and not wasting American resources or losing lives. I have mentioned before how near our house in a development a large number of Iranian expatriates live. I don’t plan on seeking out their opinions but it would be interesting if a local paper could interview some of them. Peter

Some excerpts from Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia. Death to America  is an anti-American political slogan and chant which has been in use in Iran since the inception of the Iranian Revolution in 1979. Ayatollah Khomeini, the first leader of the Islamic Republic of Iran, popularized the term. He opposed the chant for radio and television, but not for protests and other occasions. A similar slogan "Death to Israel" is also used, and regularly chanted in Iranian political rallies. Iranian officials generally explain that the slogan in its historical context has been provoked by U.S. government's hostile policies towards Iran and expresses outrage at those policies, and does not wish for literal death for American people themselves.

On 8 February 2019, Ali Khamenei stated "Death to America means death to Trump, Bolton and Pompeo. We criticize American politicians who are managing that country. Iranian nation are not against American people." According to Politico magazine, following the September 11 attacks, Sayyed Ali Khamenei, the Supreme Leader of Iran, "suspended the usual 'Death to America' chants at Friday prayers" temporarily.

Following the fall of the pro-American Pahlavi dynasty in early 1979, Iranian protesters regularly shouted "Death to America" and "Death to the Shah" outside the U.S. embassy in Tehran, including the day the embassy was seized on November 4, 1979, which commenced the Iran hostage crisis. Throughout the crisis, Iranians surrounding the embassy chanted "Death to America" and "Death to Carter." When Iran released the remaining 52 American hostages on January 20, 1981, they were led through a gauntlet of students forming parallel lines that shouted "Death to America" as they boarded the airplane that would fly them out of Tehran. "Death to the Soviet Union" and "Death to England" also became popular. The best known variation was "Death to Israel".

Use outside of Iran The slogan on the flag of the Houthis in Yemen reads, "Allah is the greatest. Death to America. Death to Israel. A curse upon the Jews. Victory to Islam."

Supporters of Hezbollah, the Shi'a Islamic militant group based in Lebanon that is closely aligned to Iran, regularly chant "Death to America" in street demonstrations.[30] A week before the March 20, 2003 U.S. invasion of Iraq, Hezbollah Secretary General Hassan Nasrallah declared, "In the past, when the Marines were in Beirut, we screamed, 'Death to America!' Today, when the region is being filled with hundreds of thousands of American soldiers, 'Death to America!' was, is and will stay our slogan."

The slogan of the Houthis, a Shiite rebel group in Yemen also supported by Iran, is "God is Great, Death to America, Death to Israel, A curse upon the Jews, Victory to Islam."

Supporters of Imamia Students Organisation in Pakistan mark 16th of May every year as Death to America day for its recognition of Israel. This was declared by their leader Arif Hussain al Hussaini.

Law professor David Luban sees the slogan as a literal call for attacks on America such as the September 11 attacks.

Q was saying the planes containing the pallets of cash landed in various places not in Iran and that the Deep State, in control of Iran, pocketed the cash. 1) DS controls Obama. 2) Make Obama make the deal. 3) Pocket the cash. One of a million population-bleeding programs that Trump’s victory brings to an end.

Either the ‘79 revolution was really rogue western intelligence or they subsequently took control of Iran from the top. The actual puppet master of Iran on the other end of the puppet strings is Western. The same Western cabal Trump and Boris Johnson is up against everywhere. All above same for North Korea.

The events we see in the news are not dangerous, because this is not live action. They lost and Trump won, quite a while ago. This is a play for public consumption, that is one of Q’s top messages. This is a dangerous time in that the cabal is nearing its end, but Trump already won in Iran.

We need for the Iranian people to experience it as them overthrowing their evil and domestic rulers. That will play out now. Their rise and retaking control. 

For those who like to take care with identification before evaluating, here is an excellent video by Howard Bloom.

Howard is a fascinating thinker I have recommended several times (especially on evolutionary biology and superstar celebrities), but he has a nasty bug up his ass about President Trump. It's a real nasty bug, too. Whenever he talks about Trump, it's like he leaves his brains (which are considerable) in a jar and closes the lid tight before opening his mouth. Then just spews bile. If you know how insightful he is and how deep his thinking goes, it's the weirdest goddam thing to watch. But there it is. He also looks grungy on camera. Maybe because he is grungy. :) 

Anyway, that anti-Trump bug didn't make it into the video below, so this is one of his good ones.

Howard put in layman's terms some basic information on Soleimani and presented it objectively. Given Soleimani's rock star status among militant Shiites and their sympathizers (including lots Obama folks), there's a lot of misinformation out there. Howard's information helps one keep a reasoned perspective during all the yelling.

Of course, one needs to verify everything. But, for me, this video appears to be reasonable in giving the big picture. And it includes lots of footage I have not seen in other places.

Michael

Pompeo, just now on Fox at 2:15pm 1/5/20. General Soleimani was planning imminent terrorist attacks. We will take actions that will be commensurate with the Iranian response. End of summary.

You know President Trump is always several steps ahead in His thinking. So why take out the Iranian general slash terrorist now? He knows Iran will react. And that is the goal, but not to put our soldiers or allies in jeopardy from retaliation. The Iranians biggest threat is not to the U.S. It is to Israel, and other allies like the Saudis in the region who are within range of Iranian missiles and planes.

So once Iran reacts, that will cause a U.S. reaction. And we will take out every Iranian plane, artillery piece, tank, and missile. It may take weeks but we have the armament to render Iran a lesser threat where their only weapons will be mass attacks and terroristic bombings.

Iran is planning joint military exercises with China and Russia. If their larger means to conduct war and terror are vaporized, those exercises will be called off. How am I doing, President Trump? I would just do my best to have zero or as few civilian casualties as possible. Peter

We could put a bounty on the Iranian top religious scamster and terrorist who was recently interviewed by Chris Wallace but we might end up harming the bounty hunters. So. Does this count as their retribution? Once again it shows they should have no way to gather cash, they should have no way to significantly harm our allies or Americans, and they need to have their toys taken away from them. We should shut down their oil wells, sink any ship doing business with them, double tap any Iranian who tries to harm an American.