Rep. Elijah Cummings Dead

Michael Stuart Kelly

Rep. Elijah Cummings Dead

I don't know many in O-Land who will mourn his passing, but as a human being, I do.

May he rest in peace.

Now some details from Zero Hedge:

House Democrat And Trump Nemesis Elijah Cummings Dies

Elijah Cummings, the long-serving Democratic congressman and chairman of the House Committee on Oversight and Reform, has passed away at the age of 68. Cummings has been a major figure in Democratic politics during the Trump era. As chairman of the House oversight committee, he has been deeply involved into investigations into President Trump.

Recently, Cummings was the target of a spate of angry Trump tweets as the president raged about "rat-infested" Baltimore and Maryland's 7th district, which Cummings represents.

He is also a key figure in the House's impeachment investigation into Trump.

According to a statement released by his office, the Congressman died at approximately 2:45 am Thursday at Johns Hopkins Hospital due to "complications concerning longstanding health challenges."

Born and raised in Baltimore, Cummings served 14 years in the Maryland House of Delegates and became the first African American in Maryland history to be named Spearker Pro Tem. He was first elected to represent the 7th district in 1996, and was roughly halfway through his 12th term in office when he died.

Politically, his passing will cause a wrecking ball to smash against current political narratives, especially on the Democrat side.

As noted above, Representative Cummings was a virulent enemy of President Trump. His death is a reminder--a reality reminder--to the House Democrats of just how vulnerable their power base is. They have put all their eggs for the future in a bogus impeachment coup and are running their primaries with very old people at the top (Biden, Pelosi and Sanders).

Reality doesn't care. It will do what it will do. When someone's number is up, that person croaks. Older people are more vulnerable than the young. And there's this, 68 years old is younger than the candidates now competing for the Democratic Party nomination.

Democrats (and anti-Trumpers for that matter) are now reminded of that. I expect it will scare the bejeezus out of them. They have no hedge, no exit strategy, in the current conflict with the president and are not as organized as they pretend to be. So watch for a mighty disruption.

I don't know where this will lead them, but it will be something to behold.

I wish I had good things to say about Cummings, but his choices in life, once he got power, are not ones I respect. He did make a mark on American history, though. So there's that.

And now his passing is going to make a mark, a destructive one, on the Deep State. So there's that, too.

Michael

On 10/17/2019 at 9:15 PM, Michael Stuart Kelly said:

This comes via Michael Hurd, so it's probably legit. I haven't been able to find the quote yet, though.

Image may contain: 1 person, text

Dayaamm!

Michael

That is scary, in  a way.