Nothin' ain't worth nothin' but it's Free...

anthony

San Francisco, California meant something to those of us in other, rather socially-repressed societies, back when. Just the name, from songs and pictures especially, conjured up what every rebellious youngster felt he/she needed, primarily, freedom from adult authority. The "City of Free Love", what was not to like? Youth, lovely girls, easy-going guys, crazy clothing, sunshine and fresh sounds -- as long as "the man" left us alone. It all comes back, looking at this article: https://www.bbc.com/news/business-48752929

Turns out, the place synonymous with freedom of the body couldn't remain "free" for very long. Because, one finds, love, freedom and anything worthwhile, costs -- something. "Love", the indiscriminate sort -  love for everybody - without personally-found and -gained value, the universal myth, surely leads into unfreedom, and eventual force. And back to authoritarianism. The city fathers decree that we love you and your bodies so much, we are going to ban a quite innocuous item and behavior many want: we know best what's good for you and it ain't your *real* freedom. What has become of you, San Francisco? :)

(A line from Kristofferson's Me and Bobby McGee - an old favorite)

Freedom's just another word, for nothing else to lose? My aunt and uncle with their three kids lived in San Fran. It was fun to visit the hills! Their house was on a hill and their back yard had a huge slope. My Mom was born in Frisco (she hated that word) and went to Balboa High School. Now they have a map for tourists that shows the areas to avoid because of human feces and the homelessness.