Australia Just Did A Trump

It looks like Australia just had an election that was reminiscent of 2016 in the US.

I've only skimmed this issue online and I know precious little about Australia, but it looks like the entire establishment and press corps. were 1,000,000,000% sure of the election results favoring the left, with poll after poll after poll.

Also, they were badgering Scott Morrison (the incumbent PM who won) to say whether he would step down if he lost.

The press I saw seemed just like the press against Trump. Just switch out the names and I bet the texts of many Australian news articles were identical to anti-Trump ones here in the US.

Here's an article about the election win from The Daily Mail for the sake of info:

Scott Morrison WINS: Liberal leader claims an extraordinary upset and will remain Prime Minister - as Bill Shorten loses the unloseable election after voters reject his radical left-wing agenda

What I saw just now on Twitter was equivalent to that lady who screamed, "Noooooooooooooo!..." when President Trump was inaugurated. One after another. Man do these lefties hate...

Now all we need is an investigation into whether the Russians did it.

:)

Michael

On 5/18/2019 at 9:41 AM, Michael Stuart Kelly said:

It looks like Australia just had an election that was reminiscent of 2016 in the US.

I've only skimmed this issue online and I know precious little about Australia, but it looks like the entire establishment and press corps. were 1,000,000,000% sure of the election results favoring the left, with poll after poll after poll.

Also, they were badgering Scott Morrison (the incumbent PM who won) to say whether he would step down if he lost.

The press I saw seemed just like the press against Trump. Just switch out the names and I bet the texts of many Australian news articles were identical to anti-Trump ones here in the US.

Here's an article about the election win from The Daily Mail for the sake of info:

Scott Morrison WINS: Liberal leader claims an extraordinary upset and will remain Prime Minister - as Bill Shorten loses the unloseable election after voters reject his radical left-wing agenda

What I saw just now on Twitter was equivalent to that lady who screamed, "Noooooooooooooo!..." when President Trump was inaugurated. One after another. Man do these lefties hate...

Now all we need is an investigation into whether the Russians did it.

:)

Michael

Yup.  Austrialion just had its own Rebellion of the Deplorables.  England had BREXIT, the U.S.  got Trump  and Australia  got rid  of the Labor-Green  kabal to impose wind turbines on the public,  at public expense of course.   Good for Oz!!!!!!

Is Aussies or Ozzies the correct diminutive for the people from "The Land Down Under?" They have likeable nicknames for themselves just like us Yanks.   

Fewer regulations, taxes, and more economic freedom. The market decides what is broadcast in the media. Left wing polling is left in the billabong. Sounds good – I like their accents. Predictions for better outcomes are looking up.

I think Netflix owns the rights to reruns of “The Doctor Blake Mysteries” set in Balarat Australia but they are not going to make any new shows, as far as I know. Too bad.

We were watching season two of “The Rain” on Netflix last night and I thought the show was cancelled after season one, because of lower viewership, the dubbing, and mainly appealing to younger people because of the younger cast. It was OK, if I bit scifi/hokey at times. It takes place in a future Scandinavian country, maybe Sweden. They put a map up to the camera and it had a place called Zealand on it. Not New Zealand. It could be of interest during slower summer viewing times.           

On 5/18/2019 at 6:41 AM, Michael Stuart Kelly said:

Federal parliamentary ('lower house') elections in Australia have a few features that are relatively unknown in North America.  They use a 'preferential ballot,' in the form of ranked-choice. The polling industry also uses various means to 'capture' voting intentions for the balloting -- by asking respondents for first and second choices.

In the run up to the lower house elections, the most recent polling actually forecast a National Party/Liberal coalition win -- when considering the parties alone and not an estimate of the results of the ranked-choice balloting. But.  The expectation in the chattering classes was indeed that Labour would win.  Althought most polls showed the Prime Minister to be more trustworthy and popular than the Labour leader -- the scrying industry got way ahead of itself.

In the end, the party totals between the Coalition and Labour moved by 0.69%.  The Labour party lost two seats and the Coalition gained three (with several still pending).  The Australian system only counts the final two ranked-choice 'winners' and so the totals always add up to a strict 100%.

So, the percentage of finalized votes for the Coalition versus Labour?  The TPP results:  51.9% Coalition / 48.1% Dirty Commies ...

-- my takeaway is that Australia will take a break from 'bumping off' its leaders. The current Prime Minister is the 7th to hold the office in 10 years. Political stability is almost always good for the economy. 

In passing, there are 258 days until the first Iowan trudges off to caucus.  And, all polls are wrong.

Edited by william.scherk

• 1 year later...

I had not heard of any problems Down Under since the wildfires last year.

March 21, 2021, 7:08 AM EDT By Reuters MELBOURNE — Heavy rains along Australia’s east coast over the weekend have brought the worst flooding in half a century in some areas, authorities said on Sunday, forcing thousands to evacuate and damaging hundreds of houses. New South Wales Premier Gladys Berejiklian said the downpour across the state, Australia’s most populous with 8 million people, was worse than initially expected, especially for low-lying areas in Sydney’s northwest. “Yesterday, we were hoping it will only be a one-in-20-year event, now it looks like a one-in-50-year event,” Berejiklian said at a televised briefing.

People in parts of Sydney’s northwest were ordered to flee their houses in the middle of the night as fast-moving waters caused widespread destruction. Berejiklian said another 4,000 people may still be asked to evacuate.

Television and social media footage showed fast-moving water unmooring houses, engulfing roads, breaking trees and damaging road infrastructure. Emergency services estimate the total number of damaged houses to be “in the hundreds." Several major roads were closed across the state while many schools called off classes for Monday. The flooding comes in stark contrast with the devastating bushfires that struck Australia in late 2019 and early 2020, when nearly 7 percent of NSW land was scorched . . . .

edit. I looked at Australian news again and had a laugh at the names. Below, they are talking about soccer teams. Peter

Heart-melting photo of sons of Crows guns goes viral after epic win. If there were ever two families that deserved a moment like this after Adelaide’s incredible win over Geelong, it’s the Walkers and Sloanes.