That's Why Darkies Were Born

How’s that for a click-bait thread title!  The topic at hand is the recent reappraisal of Kate Smith, who recorded the most famous version of “God Bless America”.  

https://www.cnn.com/2019/04/21/us/philadelphia-flyers-kate-smith-statue/index.html

A couple other recordings she made in the 1930’s are now deemed racist, so it’s the down the memory hole with her.  I sought them out, they are readily available, and suggest you give them a listen before reading my commentary, which will be below the lyrics.  

Brother, sister, ever since the world began,
There was work to be done.
Always seems that someone
Left it to the colored man.

Brother, sister, what must be must be.
Though the balance is wrong,
Still our faith must be strong.
Accept your destiny.

Brother, listen to me:
Someone had to pick the cotton.
Someone had to plant the corn.
Someone had to toil and be able to sing.
That’s why darkies were born.

Someone had to laugh at trouble,
Though they were tired and worn.
Had to be contented with any old thing,

Sing, sing,
Sing when you’re weary and sing when you’re blue.
Sing, sing,
That’s what you taught all the white folks to do.

Someone had to fight the devil,
Shout about Gabriel’s horn.
Someone had to stroke the train that would bring
God’s children to green pastures;

To me it’s obvious this is a protest song, it’s satire.  If you feel doubtful, seek out Paul Robeson’s version of it.

Her other racist song (mind you, she didn’t write them, only performed them) is quite cringe-worthy, but I’m ready to extend the benefit of the doubt that it was for children and well-meaning:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mq0HH9d_lHk
Pickaninnies feasting on watermelon when they go to heaven…well, those were very different times.  

Which all calls to mind this recent interview with John McWhorter.  He doesn’t mention it here, but he earned extra points with me (I’ve read a few of his books) for his piece on the Virginia Governor black-face imbroglio.  He wrote that in the early ‘80’s, when he was in grad school, he went to a Halloween party with a white friend, and they went as the Jeffersons.  He went as Louise Jefferson (in drag), and his friend went in black-face as George.  Top that.