Objectivist metaphysics and epistemology are perfectly integrated axioms. From that the latter grows philosophically the former does not, except through real science, not the phony science Rand thought philosophy was.

--Brant

13 hours ago, Michael Stuart Kelly said:

Tony,

I started listening, then ran right into a brick wall at 1:57.

So sayeth The Peikoff:

Hmmmmm...

And here I thought, according to Rand (see here), philosophy was the study of the fundamental nature of the universe. Not what it ought to be, but what it is. 

"A is A," sayeth the wise lady. Not "A ought to be A."

:) 

Michael

Then you didn't hear the best part, which is up your street, I'da thought. "Unity" from " mutiplicity" by the ancient philosophers goes some way to explain the metaphysical parallels (and departure) between religion and Objectivism, God and existence, you have often mentioned before. So not any theory of LP's , he only reports it, concisely, pointing out the far-reaching effects. Yes, I heard that odd lapse, it is not consistent with anything else I read or heard from him.

1 hour ago, anthony said:

Yes, I heard that odd lapse, it is not consistent with anything else I read or heard from him.

Tony,

OK.

I'm willing to chalk it up to a brain fart.

It happens to all of us.

I'll listen to the entire lecture later.

Michael

An update on this project.

I have a lot of material pre-prepared, but I'm waiting to start the blog because of hosting reasons.

My blog host is Hostgator, but I'm totally dissatisfied with what they do. The load times are awful, etc. This seems to be the case with EIG (Endurance International Group) companies. EIG is a monster dragon from India that goes around swallowing up hosting companies (who still keep their names under EIG) and making good ones mediocre. 

So I'm dealing with studying specs, different companies, etc. 

Good things coming, though.

Here's a taste of one of the issues I will be dealing with (and applying it to Rand's works as I go along):

That particular rabbit hole goes far, far deeper than it looks.

Michael

4 hours ago, Michael Stuart Kelly said:

My blog host is Hostgator, but I'm totally dissatisfied with what they do. The load times are awful, etc. This seems to be the case with EIG (Endurance International Group) companies. EIG is a monster dragon from India that goes around swallowing up hosting companies (who still keep their names under EIG) and making good ones mediocre. 

So I'm dealing with studying specs, different companies, etc. 

I think my hosting company may also be subsumed by another conglomerate of hosting providers, but I can still recommend Ifastnet.com -- zero down time, zero issues of capacity, zero problems. It has a huge suite of design and database and plug-in helpers.

Thank you, William.

I looked around and, among people who I have been following, their opinion of ifastnet is not great. Most say its support sucks. :) If I understood correctly, it seems to be an Argentinean hosting company. However, I imagine for small beginning sites it is quite good. If the specs it advertises are only half true, it looks better than Hostgator.

There are several places I've been reading around about hosting. There's lots of misinformation out there. (I've since learned that "unlimited" never means unlimited and specs always come with a hidden story. :) )

One of the most helpful and more reliable places I've found is a Facebook Group called "WordPress Hosting." They talk about a lot of different hosting companies in pretty good detail without being a place for geeks.

I'm seriously looking into Incendia (https://www.goiww.com/) and Cloudways, although this last is still confusing to me. People say such nice things about it, but it seems clunky when I start looking.

I'm still reading and learning, though.

Michael

• Thanks 1

I might as well put this here in this thread since I will be using this thread as a main reference on the blog. (btw - I already have the domain and the name. It will be called MSK Writing Blog. Not poetic, I know :) , but it's clear enough. I'm hosting it on Cloudways, so the site will not have any load delays when one navigates through it. Trying to understand Cloudways correctly has been one of the main reasons I have been taking so long, but it's worth it.)

Anyway, here's something that will be included in my discussions of story and writing techniques.

First, a video I liked a lot that I just saw:

6 hours ago, Michael Stuart Kelly said:

I saw this video last night.

. . .

... Mark Leary gave me a frame for much of the bullshit that happens on forums and in social media.

The issue is rules of social exchange.

Some people imagine the rules of social exchange are only what is in their heads and they collide with people who are committed to their own set of rules for how others need to act in social settings.

Then, after pressure builds, they lose it over bullshit.

This is a pattern I have seen way too often to ignore.

It's even why a lot of people--ones who have preached for decades exactly what President Trump has done recently--can't stand him. He doesn't act like the way they want people to act in social exchanges.

They want to be the ones to lay down the rules, not him. And substance doesn't matter. Their thing is who controls the rules.

When people say you need more conflict in a story, this is perfect as a way to generate it.

5 hours ago, Michael Stuart Kelly said:

This is a note to myself.

There is a book I found extremely enlightening (for my fiction writing), but I was always confused about one point. The book is called Why We Snap: Understanding the Rage Circuit in Your Brain by Douglas Fields. There's a lot of technical stuff, but the innate part of our rage circuits start at specific neurons on the hippocampus. They've even done experiments on rats where they drill a hole in a rat's head, insert a fiber optic thread that ends on a specific neuron, say, one that makes the rat become blind with rage, then send pulses that trigger the neuron. They can then turn the rage on and off instantly with a switch. Switch it on, the rat goes apeshit. Switch it off, the rat instantly calms down.

Fields identified 9 neural circuits that prompt a person to snap. But instead of fiber optic threads, the trigger happens by built up pressure. Over time, with enough pressure, this finally triggers the circuit to overpower the rest of the brain and the person will engage in something physical, usually bad, and it will be automatic. (But sometimes a good action can follow, like when a person immediately jumps in a river to save a drowning person, then doesn't remember jumping in.)

He used an acronym for the nine circuits.

L = Life and limb
I = Insult
F = Family and friends
E = Environment (territory)
M = Mate
O = Order (rules of society)
R = Resources (food and shelter)
T = Tribe
S = Stopped (stuck)

For fiction writing, if you apply pressure to one or more of these circuits on a character in a story and keep piling it on, there will come a natural climax where the character will erupt. That's been my focus. (Paddy Chayefsky, the screenwriter for Network, basically said this was his goal of writing, without the neuroscience, of course.)

But I was always confused about O (order, rules of society). Mark Leary's explanation finally made it make sense to me. There is no such thing as society innately in the brain, but there is an innate neural groove where how to deal with other members of the species can develop through learned behavior. Note, this is not learned behavior on a blank slate, the way Rand says. It is learned behavior within a neural template, a groove, a premade form of sorts.

I was so impressed with Leary's video above, I got his two "Great Courses" on human nature at Audible. (I have a subscription where I get one credit a month. They ran a sale where I can get two audiobooks for one credit and, by chance, they were offering the audio of these two courses. So I snapped them up.)

And now a word from our sponsor. :) 

Here are the two courses (sold through Amazon with my affiliate link) if anyone is interested:

Understanding the Mysteries of Human Behavior (2013)

Why You Are Who You Are: Investigations into Human Personality (2018)

Note, if you buy them separately, they come to about 50 bucks.

The Audible membership charges you a little under 15 bucks a month for one credit. As Audible was running a two for one sale and these titles were part of the sale, I got both courses for this month's credit. In other words, instead of getting them for 50 bucks, I got them for 15.

I think the 2 for 1 sale will last until July 4, but there are a lot more Great Courses available than just those two in the sale.

Also, Audible lets you buy a 3 credit package for about 12 bucks a credit, so if I had any spare money left over right now, which I don't, I would get 6 more of these suckers for 12 bucks for each two. That's a huge drop from 50 bucks each two.

I'm pretty sure I can make the July 4 cutoff, though. If I do, I don't know about you, but I will go for it.

Michael

On 6/3/2019 at 4:02 PM, william.scherk said:

[...] I can still recommend Ifastnet.com -- zero down time, zero issues of capacity, zero problems.

Ha! Ifastnet is in hour nineteen of an outage ...

William,

I went with Cloudways.

Still figuring some things out because the learning curve for a non-techie is a bit high, but as I go along, I'm beginning to like their organization of elements a hell of a lot more than cPanel. The jargon is thick, but once you learn what something means and how to work with it, things are really easy and simple.

The hard part for me is in the basic things.

For example, at Cloudways, you get a choice of several cloud companies, but you have to set up your own server (a virtual server) to get anything online. You can set up as many servers as you want. (Cloudways meters use from all the different companies and servers I use, then presents one bill--and, believe it or not, it is very inexpensive compared to a dedicated server with cPanel.)

But wait. All the servers I want? What does that even mean in terms of what I do? That's a hell of a concept for someone who has used cPanel for years (Hostgator and OL's hosting before it went to the IPB cloud). But wait again! It gets worse. I can not only set up as many servers as I like, I can choose a different cloud company for each until I have used all the cloud companies they offer.

My first thought was why on earth do I need more than one server? I've always been able to put all my sites on one server at hosting companies with cPanel. Then, what are the relevant differences for me between the different cloud companies?

You really have to dig to find that obvious stuff out. Even now, I'm not so sure about the difference between the companies other than price. So far, I've gone with the first option, Digital Ocean, because it is the first and it's the cheapest. It works. But I'll learn more as I go along. The good thing is I can change the different companies at will.

And servers? As a throwaway thought in an instruction article full of technical shit--and almost nowhere else, they mentioned that you will do better creating one server per site. Thanks a lot, guys... :) 

It's tough, but I'll get there...

btw - This complication is a wonderful opportunity. After I get rolling, I'm going to sell Cloudways as an affiliate (I'll have a separate site for that). All I have to do is set up basic instructions for beginners like me as I figure things out--and put that into plain English with analogies and references to what most people like me are used to--and I think it will sell itself.

Michael