I am Howard Roark

atlashead

I wish Alex Trebec the best. I watched my brother waste away from pancreatic cancer until he was nearly skeletal, and I hope Alex doesn't start to look like that. He said he is going to continue hosting Jeopardy. Does anyone have a suggestion for his replacement, if it is ever needed? I think I have mentioned that my daughter Laura took the Jeopardy test at a mock show in Baltimore and won but she hasn't been called yet. The other night I actually got more right answers than she did on the real show.   

2 hours ago, Peter said:

Wow. That was stoic. You nailed it.

Peter,

LOL...

The dude is constantly doing cheap profundity, that is, floating abstractions.

I let it go because I'm betting there is a scared little boy in there somewhere who wants to come out, but needs a mask for now.

To be honest, I bet the little boy is a good person with a good mind. But we won't know until we see him.

Michael

38 minutes ago, Michael Stuart Kelly said:

Peter,

LOL...

The dude is constantly doing cheap profundity, that is, floating abstractions.

I let it go because I'm betting there is a scared little boy in there somewhere who wants to come out, but needs a mask for now.

To be honest, I bet the little boy is a good person with a good mind. But we won't know until we see him.

Michael

Cue the Dragnet theme. Da da da Da, Da Da Dit de dah. "Just the facts Ma'am." At least its not those 60's moronic, existentialist sayings you used to see on the bathroom walls, which are as profound as a cat licking its ass (why has no one invented cat toilet paper yet,) or quotes from "The Little Prince." Though I still like some of those old Disney catch phrases. Here's a good one from Jean Paul Sartre: I'd liked to see an elephant fly.  

• 2 weeks later...

Good news from the web. One Person Laid the Seeds for an Entire Forest. Sebastião Salgado grew up in Minas Gerais, Brazil—a place full of beautiful rainforests. He left home to become a photographer, only to return to his hometown, in 2000, to discover that only 0.5% of forest remained. Salgado founded Instituto Terra in 1998, planting more than 2 million seedlings of more than 290 species of trees and plants. In 20 years, 1,500 acres of rainforest have been recovered, and 293 species of plants, 15 reptile species, 172 bird species, 15 amphibian species, and 33 mammal species have returned. Don’t let anyone tell you one person can’t change the world.

Robots Have Increased the Size of the Great Barrier Reef by 50 Percent. Two research universities in Australia have dispatched underwater robots that have been able to deliver baby coral to the Great Barrier Reef, which, in just the last two years, has decreased in size by a whopping 50 percent due to climate change. The Robot’s name is Larvalbot, and it scans the reef, sensing dead sections where it drops microscopic baby coral that has been proven to withstand harsh conditions that climate change has brought about.

Researchers say they've finally identified the serial killer known as Jack the Ripper based on DNA evidence. The man who killed at least five women in the Whitechapel district of London in the late 1800s is believed to be Aaron Kosminski, a 23-year-old Polish barber and prime suspect at the time. The forensic investigation was published in the peer-reviewed Journal of Forensic Sciences last week. The finding could book-end a cold case that's remained largely a mystery for over 100 years.

Male Puppies Let Female Puppies Win Play Fights. Chivalry isn’t dead, at least not in the canine world. Male puppies will pretend to be more vulnerable and allow female puppies to win in an effort to keep the game going longer, so they can get closer to the female. And yes, same-sex play has been studied: when female puppies play with only female puppies, or male puppies play with only male puppies, everyone plays to win. It’s only in male-female “fights” that a pup purposefully throws the match.

Your Heartbeat Syncs Up With Your Partner’s. Research out of UC Davis has shown that when you look into a loved one’s eyes—specifically, a romantic partner—your heartbeat and breathing will sync up. It’s called interpersonal synchronization, and it also accounts for that whole “We finish each other’s…” “…sentences” thing: your brainwaves and thought patterns start to link up, too. And for more ways your body aligns with your S.O.’s, check out these 15 Surprising Ways Your Partner Impacts Your Health.

The Netherlands Gifts 20,000 Tulips to Canada Every Year. The Netherlands send flowers to Canada because the royal Dutch family fled to Canada during World War II, and Princes Juliana was pregnant at the time with soon-to-be Princess Margriet. The thing is, if Margriet wasn’t born on Dutch soil, she couldn’t be considered Dutch royalty, so, the Canadian government literally declared the Ottawa Hospital to extraterritorially be considered Dutch land.When World War II was over and the family returned to the Netherlands, Princess Juliana was forever grateful for Canada’s hospitality, sending 100,000 tulips to them to thank them—a tradition that is still carried out (though with 20,000 flowers, not 100,000) today.

Human IQ is Continually Rising. The average American IQ gain is about 3 points every 10 years, or about 9 points every generation. Worldwide, average human intelligence has increased 20 points in the last 70 years. (This is called the Flynn Effect, named after the psychologist who first observed the phenomena). Better and easier access to resources and improved living conditions in developing countries have no doubt contributed to widespread education, which has allowed us to become smarter on the whole.

House Speaker Nancy Pelosi dismissed fellow Democrats who say she has set the bar too high for impeachment of President Donald Trump. In an exclusive interview with USA TODAY, Pelosi said some House progressives have "wanted to impeach the president since the day he got elected." "You're wasting your time, unless the evidence is so conclusive that the Republicans will understand," Pelosi, D-Calif., told USA TODAY. "Otherwise, it's a gift to the president. We take our eye off the ball." The speaker said, instead of impeachment, Democrats needed to stay united in pushing through legislation that they campaigned on, such as addressing rising health care costs and creating jobs.

• 1 year later...
On 3/10/2019 at 3:29 PM, Peter said:

I wish Alex Trebec the best. I watched my brother waste away from pancreatic cancer until he was nearly skeletal, and I hope Alex doesn't start to look like that. He said he is going to continue hosting Jeopardy. Does anyone have a suggestion for his replacement, if it is ever needed? I think I have mentioned that my daughter Laura took the Jeopardy test at a mock show in Baltimore and won but she hasn't been called yet. The other night I actually got more right answers than she did on the real show.   

What game show host was first a news reporter for CBS? The 'Jeopardy!’ host. For the game’s name to be real it must have an exclamation point. He has signed on to be the host until 2022. George Alexander Trebek is five foot eight. A native of Canada, Alex became a naturalized American citizen in 1998. He is worth 75 million in U.S. dollars. He has excellent wigs to hide his hair loss from chemotherapy.

edit. Price Is Right announcer George Gray, 53, is in stable condition after having three major heart attacks and receiving quadruple bypass surgery.

• 7 months later...

Tim Stelloh and The Associated Press Mon, December 7, 2020, 11:05 PM EST Chuck Yeager, a former U.S. Air Force officer who became the first pilot to break the speed of sound, died Monday. He was 97. In a brief statement on Twitter, his wife, Victoria, said he died just before 9 p.m. ET. “An incredible life well lived, America’s greatest Pilot, & a legacy of strength, adventure, & patriotism will be remembered forever,” she said. Oct. 14, 1947, Yeager became the first test pilot to break the sound barrier as he flew the experimental Bell XS-1 (later X-1) rocket plane over Muroc Dry Lake in California.