Why I Could Never Be A Conservative (Again)

I was in my mid teens when I came up, all by myself, with a theory about individual rights. To wit, what gives one man the right to initiate force against another man? What is (morally) within any man that makes him so superior to any other man? Nothing.

At that time, the 1950s, I was concerned about the Cold War and the possibility of general thermonuclear war. This was the American State against the Soviet State. I loved Barry lob one into the men's room in the Kremlin Goldwater and his Conscience of A Conservative. We had beaten the horrible Holocausting Nazis but now we had to deal with the Commie Bastards. But something was wrong in my cosmology. Wrong and incomplete but I was oblivious. Then in the summer of 1963 in my sister's home in Flagstaff, AZ I spent almost a week reading Atlas Shrugged in paperback. It was like a key going into my lock and opening up my brain. AS turned me into an intellectual. Conservatives are not intellectuals. That's the intellectual reason I cannot go back to that melieu and never will.

But I'm now cutting out the middle story for I'm slightly drunk and not, after all, writing a book, and get to the point for I'm distressed and pissed off and get to the cultural reason--the God-Damned War On Drugs.

A man I knew somewhat and liked put a bullet into his brain several hours ago. The swat team finally sent in a camera which showed him dead in his bed. He killed himself because he was in terrible pain. Over the years in the building trades his body had deteriorated several different ways but he was able to live and function with opiate medication. Then his doctor moved away. Just like that he was reclassified medically and sent to a pain clinic and his meds were cut by 25 percent then another 25 percent. All in less than a month.

The Conservatives are responsible for the monstrosity of the war on drugs and the reduction of opiate meds legally available. So they have gravitas and embrace Trump, but while I appreciate Trump I'm no great fan of MAGA.  America stopped being great with the Mexican War if not the presidency of Andrew Jackson.

---Brant

I believe in MAGA if you start with human rights and make those your primary reference point

17 hours ago, Brant Gaede said:

I was in my mid teens when I came up, all by myself, with a theory about individual rights. To wit, what gives one man the right to initiate force against another man? What is (morally) within any man that makes him so superior to any other man? Nothing.

At that time, the 1950s, I was concerned about the Cold War and the possibility of general thermonuclear war. This was the American State against the Soviet State. I loved Barry lob one into the men's room in the Kremlin Goldwater and his Conscience of A Conservative. We had beaten the horrible Holocausting Nazis but now we had to deal with the Commie Bastards. But something was wrong in my cosmology. Wrong and incomplete but I was oblivious. Then in the summer of 1963 in my sister's home in Flagstaff, AZ I spent almost a week reading Atlas Shrugged in paperback. It was like a key going into my lock and opening up my brain. AS turned me into an intellectual. Conservatives are not intellectuals. That's the intellectual reason I cannot go back to that melieu and never will.

But I'm now cutting out the middle story for I'm slightly drunk and not, after all, writing a book, and get to the point for I'm distressed and pissed off and get to the cultural reason--the God-Damned War On Drugs.

A man I knew somewhat and liked put a bullet into his brain several hours ago. The swat team finally sent in a camera which showed him dead in his bed. He killed himself because he was in terrible pain. Over the years in the building trades his body had deteriorated several different ways but he was able to live and function with opiate medication. Then his doctor moved away. Just like that he was reclassified medically and sent to a pain clinic and his meds were cut by 25 percent then another 25 percent. All in less than a month.

The Conservatives are responsible for the monstrosity of the war on drugs and the reduction of opiate meds legally available. So they have gravitas and embrace Trump, but while I appreciate Trump I'm no great fan of MAGA.  America stopped being great with the Mexican War if not the presidency of Andrew Jackson.

---Brant

I believe in MAGA if you start with human rights and make those your primary reference point

Brant,

You write truer slightly drunk than anyone else here writes dead sober, (Canadians excepted of course).

Every man here has a shining vision of the Great Again America, one cleansed of his particular dread: pedophiles, rich intellectual snobs, poor people who don't care much about the rich, etc,

Your friend died for a Great America initiative against drugs (don't know if if was Clinton or a Bush, but what matter?)

Trump cares nothing about drugs except as sources of revenue, possibly legally exploitable ..  maybe he will save a few more lives just through neglect of the subject,  or even a more humane approach.. there is still time.

Even the stopped clock gets 1000 times a year to be right.

I'm for Trump and what he's doing--that is, by and large. The left has thoroughly outed itself in its viciousness and stupidity and ignorance with deep state augmentation. If he's not re-elected because of voter fraud this country will descend into civil war.

--Brant

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Brant Gaede said:

I'm for Trump and what he's doing--that is, by and large. The left has thoroughly outed itself in its viciousness and stupidity and ignorance with deep state augmentation. If he's not re-elected because of voter fraud this country will descend into civil war.

--Brant

Do you think the Dems are so powerful they could organize a voter fraud without being detected, before, during or after the election? It is still a long time away - Trump still has 2 years of  action and voter fraud is one of his top priorities . 

Do you think that his support will be strong enough, whatever issues arise in the meantime not making any difference, that the only way he would lose re-election could be by fraud?

1 hour ago, caroljane said:

Do you think the Dems are so powerful they could organize a voter fraud without being detected, before, during or after the election? It is still a long time away - Trump still has 2 years of  action and voter fraud is one of his top priorities . 

Do you think that his support will be strong enough, whatever issues arise in the meantime not making any difference, that the only way he would lose re-election could be by fraud?

Vote fraud in Texas and Illinois elected the Kennedy-Johnson ticket in 1960.

Massive vote fraud has made California a state completely dominated by the Democrat Party.

If not for the Electoral College California would have made that criminal bitch Hillary President. Whether the Electoral College will do the same next time is problematic. It could give the Senate to the Dems.

I find your naivete hard to get my brain around.

---Brant

• Like 2

On 3/6/2019 at 11:50 PM, Brant Gaede said:

11 hours ago, Brant Gaede said:

The left has thoroughly outed itself in its viciousness and stupidity and ignorance with deep state augmentation.

Brant,

I have a more conflicted view of the drug situation than you do because I lived and lived with the consequences on the other side. To me I have other conceptual referents, so to speak, but I am not on the opposite side of you, either. I'm on a third way. But I don't want to talk about the differences here because you are in pain from one more death around you.

What the hell does a political discussion matter to a dead person? The value is in the life, not in the talking point.

And this is the sticking point I have with the left. They don't care about individual human beings. Your friend who committed suicide out of pain only has value to them if his story promotes one of their goddam political agendas. If not, they don't even see him. He's discarded and no longer thought about like a candy bar wrapper.

I'm terribly sorry your friend was in pain, I'm sorry he killed himself, and I'm sorry you feel his loss so deeply. Sometimes life sucks.

It doesn't always suck, and I wish it didn't, but sometimes it does. This is one of those times.

Just get through it like a flower has to weather winter. The good and strong ones come out again in the spring. That's not much, maybe, but it's all there is where life and death are concerned.

Michael

I had some kratom for him to experiment with. Unfortunately he had moved to the other side of the city and I didn't know how dire his situation was. Regardless, it would have been too little too late for the resupply would have taken too long.

There is a difference between guilt and regret. I have accumulated lots of regrets in my life, that's living, and almost no guilt. That's a pretty good record for not being a sociopath.

---Brant

12 hours ago, Brant Gaede said:

Vote fraud in Texas and Illinois elected the Kennedy-Johnson ticket in 1960.

Massive vote fraud has made California a state completely dominated by the Democrat Party.

If not for the Electoral College California would have made that criminal bitch Hillary President. Whether the Electoral College will do the same next time is problematic. It could give the Senate to the Dems.

I find your naivete hard to get my brain around.

---Brant

OK, I,m naive, but with respect your answer is not that persuasive to my brain... again, Trump has nearly two years to expose the massive voter fraud,. and prevent it , and a lot of executive power to "git 'er done" --- you seem to assume that the left will outwit him and commit perfect crimes of fraud which leave no evidence ... that is really hard to believe.

I don't think the circumstances of the 1960 election could be duplicated, either.

11 hours ago, caroljane said:

OK, I,m naive, but with respect your answer is not that persuasive to my brain... again, Trump has nearly two years to expose the massive voter fraud,. and prevent it , and a lot of executive power to "git 'er done" --- you seem to assume that the left will outwit him and commit perfect crimes of fraud which leave no evidence ... that is really hard to believe.

I don't think the circumstances of the 1960 election could be duplicated, either.

While I found your naivete hard to believe you've made me a believer.

--Brant

watch and learn these coming 21 months; you won't believe it until you see it

• Like 1