Rape scene in the Gospel of Luke

9thdoctor

Dr. Eric Sprankle, a professor of clinical psychology, wrote that "the virgin birth story is about an all-knowing, all-powerful deity impregnating a human teen. There is no definition of consent that would include that scenario. Happy Holidays."

http://insider.foxnews.com/2018/12/06/mark-steyn-blasts-sprankle-saying-god-impregnated-mary-jesus-without-consent

My copy of the Bible (King James Version) has the Angel Gabriel telling Mary she “shall” conceive; there are quite a few “shall”s, so it hasn’t happened yet. She finally replies with the bit about being the handmaiden of the Lord.  Sounds like what Rand might have called an engraved invitation, no?  Though with the unequal power relationship between the parties, Almighty God compared to helpless teenage girl…I suppose it would have to qualify as statutory rape at least.  Indeed, the Holy Spirit ought to be on the sexual predator's registry, for life.

This goes under the heading of the War on Christmas that Fox News always finds a way of rehashing every December. 

The virgin Miriam (that is Mary in hebrew)   did say   "Oh God!  Don't stop now!"

59 minutes ago, 9thdoctor said:

Dr. Eric Sprankle, a professor of clinical psychology, wrote that "the virgin birth story is about an all-knowing, all-powerful deity impregnating a human teen. There is no definition of consent that would include that scenario. Happy Holidays."

http://insider.foxnews.com/2018/12/06/mark-steyn-blasts-sprankle-saying-god-impregnated-mary-jesus-without-consent

My copy of the Bible (King James Version) has the Angel Gabriel telling Mary she “shall” conceive; there are quite a few “shall”s, so it hasn’t happened yet. She finally replies with the bit about being the handmaiden of the Lord.  Sounds like what Rand might have called an engraved invitation, no?  Though with the unequal power relationship between the parties, Almighty God compared to helpless teenage girl…I suppose it would have to qualify as statutory rape at least.  Indeed, the Holy Spirit ought to be on the sexual predator's registry, for life.

This goes under the heading of the War on Christmas that Fox News always finds a way of rehashing every December. 

Well, that's the last straw. I'm switching religions.

J

5 hours ago, 9thdoctor said:

More from the front lines of the War on Christmas, this time the belligerent is Amazon:

A mother sent her five-year-old to his school nativity with a 'shepherd' costume she bought online - before realising it came with a blow up sheep sex doll.

Helen Cox, of Alloa, Clackmannanshire, bought her son Alfie the £16.99 fancy dress costume on Amazon for his play and he was delighted it came with a blow up sheep.

But she was puzzled when a teacher told him to take the sheep home - until she blew it up and found it had a huge hole in its bottom - as well as red lips and eyelashes.

7128552-6470809-image-a-87_1544174866836

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-6470809/Boy-unwillingly-takes-blow-SEX-DOLL-sheep-school-nativity.html

• 1 month later...
11 hours ago, caroljane said:

Somewhat on same note, if Solomon had over 1000 concubines, why did the Bible report that he "sleeps with his fathers"?

Maybe in Hebrew "sleeps with" isn't a synonym for "fornicates with", as in English. 

Are there any etymologists around to weigh in?

be8f46249ea90252d123eec581a7c78b810a0d79

3 hours ago, Jonathan said:

Yeah, as in "the big sleep," "eternal rest," etc.

"Then David rested/slept/died with his fathers and was buried in the City of David."

Context, bitches, context.

J

Note the forum title. As you say, context.

• 3 weeks later...
On 12/7/2018 at 11:28 AM, 9thdoctor said:

Dear Dr. Ninth,

My  attention has been drawn to your remarks , engraved upon the scrolls of "Thingly Existence" (as my modern Norman-Saxon translator has rendered it), and I strongly demur from your unholy inference  that an outrage was committed upon the sacred body of the Mother of Christ.

Firstly, as a married woman, Mary had consented to carnal intercourse with another human, and implicitly to being impregnated for as long as the traffic would bear, exactly as did all the other human women of her time and most other times, except yours.

The "shall" that  Odd Jamie  (as we came familiarly to call him while his minions compiled our writings  ) captured  arightly the inevitable nature of her experience which, being entirely spiritual she undoubtedly did not even feel physically. As a fellow physician you will understand when I liken her blessed condition to the reverse of an "hysterical pregnancy".

I heard she was thrilled with her baby news so of course I recorded that in my gospel. Joseph's reactions were not reported to me.

I trust that this settles your doubts.  My underangels from Sector Earth Eq489-1A have noted your attendance at church has declined steeply in recent years - recent decades, really.

In passing, I note that my work here on the Admissions Committee has become much lighter in the past few months due to fewer qualified candidates from the entire southwestern sector. I congratulate you all on your admirable longevity.

Yours in Divine Service,

Luke

Saint, Evangelist, Physician

holyoldroller@cloud1.he

i