Muh, muh Canucks!

Jonathan

MSK, I'm wondering what the policy is here at OL regarding foreigners' attempts to interfere in our elections. There are Canadians here who are very actively trying to influence American voters' opinions. Now, I don't know how you feel, but, personally, I'm in favor of free speech, no matter where it comes from, and I don't buy into the left's long, tired struggle to get us to believe that Hillary lost due to Muh Russians posting a few lame political memes or cartoons on social media. But, what you or I think is irrelevant. The only thing that is relevant is what Muh Canucks think versus how they behave, no? Shouldn't OL take them up on what they advocate, and impose on them what they've been demanding? If these hosers love the Muh Russians thing, and have been pushing the idea that we should be terrified of foreign electronic interlopers, and that we have to stop them at all costs, shouldn't OL grant them their wishes? No more advocating against foreign political meddling while they are actively engaged in foreign political meddling?

J

What are Muh Canucks goals?  What means of election interference have they used in addition to their infiltration of OL? Is the FBI investigating? Is Mueller on top of it? It's happening right in front of our eyes, and Muh Canucks have shown themselves to be much more active and prolific than Muh Russians ever were, and by far. Muh Canucks are just churning out the meddling materials. They're creating rivers of of it. What is to be done to save us?

J

There's a dossier coming from Russia proving that Canucks like to hire prostitutes to piss on beds Trump supporters have slept in.

I can't verify this yet, but several sources near to someone who knows the wife of the higher-up of the person who has been negotiating this dossier tell me it's 100% true.

btw - Don't forget the critical word in that reliable report: Russia.

You wouldn't believe how important that is to informing the Canucks on what to do online about American elections...

:) 

Michael

btw - Kat and I early-voted yesterday. For those curious, I voted Republican across the board except for governor. Here in Illinois, the Democrat and Republican are both so awful, I couldn't even hold my nose and vote for Rauner. But there was a Libertarian Party candidate named Kash and it was a no-brainer. Anyone with the balls to run as Kash has my vote sight unseen. :) 

Anyways, while we were standing in line, a lady with a Russian accent was loudly telling the person next to her all about each of the candidates for each of the positions, saying unqualified good things about the Democrats, bad things (framed in a reasonable "critical thinking" manner) about the Republicans, calling the Libertarians "just plain stupid," and saying nothing about the Green Party candidates.

I didn't notice her go in to vote and when I came out, lo and behold, she and her companion were at the back of the line again. She was talking loudly as before.

I stopped and asked her, "Excuse me, where are you getting your information?"

She blinked, paused and, with no Russian accent, asked right back, "Aboote what?"

:evil:  :) 

Michael

4 hours ago, Michael Stuart Kelly said:

Anyways, while we were standing in line, a lady with a Russian accent was loudly telling the person next to her all about each of the candidates for each of the positions, saying unqualified good things about the Democrats, bad things (framed in a reasonable "critical thinking" manner) about the Republicans, calling the Libertarians "just plain stupid," and saying nothing about the Green Party candidates.

For those who have difficulty with humor, this story is an exaggeration--the intent was to surf on the Canuck Russian thing for a laugh. That lady did actually exist, but she did not have a Russian accent, nor a Canadian one. Also, while it is true that I did not notice her going in to vote (and I honestly think she did not since her hair was green or something :) -- true -- and once in the voting room, I did not notice that weird hair), I also did not see her once again at the end of the line when I came out. I tacked that on to make a better story.

But I have little doubt this lady was doing an election dirty trick for real.

While we were in line, I told Kat this reminded me of an old time dirty trick where a politician would plaster flyers and posters of the opposite candidate all over a truck, then have it break down in the middle of the city during rush hour at the busiest intersection. :) I started to say that really loud, but then I caught myself and lowered my voice. Provoke a fight in the voting line for what? That's not even a battle worth fighting since there is nothing to gain.

Now that the accurate story is on record, I'm not impressed. I honestly like my jazzed up version better. :) 

Michael

20 hours ago, Michael Stuart Kelly said:

She blinked, paused and, with no Russian accent, asked right back, "Aboote what?"

One of the many fun things about Billy live on vid is savoring the flavor that you don't get from the written word. We get to hear him talking "aboote" others "freakn oote" and stuff.

Dem Canucks tok differnt den we doo down heren MinnesOda.

Prolly 'lot differnt from youse boyce biy Chikago too.

J

Accent-u-ate the po-si-tive ...

On 11/6/2018 at 8:28 AM, Jonathan said:

One of the many fun things about Billy live on vid is savoring the flavor that you don't get from the written word. We get to hear him talking "aboote" others "freakn oote" and stuff.

You haven't heard my version of the New Brunswick accent: "On Saturday night I took father's car and went to a barn party."

Dem Canucks tok differnt den we doo down heren MinnesOda.

Among my fave North American accents are upper Maine (close to New Brunswick but just a touch wackier), the "Fargo" accent (which we use almost daily in the household:  "Oh yah, Marg?") and the old-school outport Newfoundland (which approaches the edge of dialect, being often incomprehensible to other English speakers) ... and the varieties of 'Appalachian' accents, particularly from rural Eastern Kentucky and West Virginia.  These last have a lilt and prosody that is appealing.

The weirdest Canadian accent of all is Beauce-Quebecois.  It is as if a significant number of the pioneer population suffered from an aphasia that rendered consonants to the back of the throat (one of the "Don't Touch" issues is regional variation in recessive gene 'syndromes'-- Beauce has a high proportion of people with a genetic disorder of the tongue muscles) -- and just like on a 'deaf island' succeeding populations adopted the mal-pronunciation. 

I worked with a Beauce guy and it was delightful and challenging in both official languages.  It's kinda like this:  I wo wi a bo g a i wa delifo a challenji i bo officio langua. Beauce French is a gargle ...

Minnesota-Wisconsin accents generally sound just fine to a Canadian ear.  But until you have heard the old-style Ottawa Valley accent, you haven't really experienced Canadian weird. This video shows how its bizarre features have almost completely disappeared among the young; lengthy dipthongs are the last trace:

I use this site to explore dialect and accent: https://www.dialectsarchive.com

Edited by william.scherk
Apostrophics; oh yah Marg