Jonathan

Weaponizing Psychiatry/Psychology

This reminds me of the Electric Dreams episode "Kill All Others" in a way.

I live in Florida that has involuntary commitment, it's called the Baker Act here.  There are other states with similar laws.  The fundament for the law is to have law enforcement and the judicial system intervene when someone is mentally ill to the point that they pose a danger to themselves or others.  Sounds like it might be helpful on the surface, but there have been people that have been locked up and drugged against their will without anything wrong with them.  Some get locked up and not drugged, and are released after their "eval".  I 100% disagree with it and it is unlawful and violates human rights.

On ‎9‎/‎20‎/‎2018 at 4:36 PM, KorbenDallas said:

This reminds me of the Electric Dreams episode "Kill All Others" in a way.

I live in Florida that has involuntary commitment, it's called the Baker Act here.  There are other states with similar laws.  The fundament for the law is to have law enforcement and the judicial system intervene when someone is mentally ill to the point that they pose a danger to themselves or others.  Sounds like it might be helpful on the surface, but there have been people that have been locked up and drugged against their will without anything wrong with them.  Some get locked up and not drugged, and are released after their "eval".  I 100% disagree with it and it is unlawful and violates human rights.

That episode gave me nightmares.  (But that series was amazing!  Is another "season" coming?)

A 72-hour hold is the most anyone is going to get in any state in the US.  There is no good solution to mental health issues that require involuntary commitment.  From experience, I know how difficult and expensive it is to get real help for someone who needs it but is not capable of getting it for himself.  An entire family can be prepared to invest hours and hours of their lives and tens of thousands of dollars to ensure that a diagnosed bipolar, borderline, schizophrenic doesn't injure himself or others, and yet... injure himself and many others he will because those hours and dollars will have been wasted when the 72 hours is up.  And the next 72 hours.  And the next 72 hours.  Still, when the front page is filled with his crimes, everyone will be asking why didn't someone get him help before this happened.  The answer?  Those someones dropped all ties and didn't tell him where we moved to after his last attempt to cut our throats and the best we could get was a 72 fucking hour hold.

So yeah, there's some kind of way to find a balance here, but we in the US have not figured it out yet.

• Thanks 1

Eek!  

On ‎9‎/‎23‎/‎2018 at 11:59 PM, Jules Troy said:

Eek!  

America has been leery of "forced" mental incarceration at least since, "One Flew Over the Cuckoos Nest."  It may be time to rethink the problem, just as we are rethinking gun ownership by questionable "sorts."

Throwing dissenters and politically  "inconvenient"  folks into the looney bin was a standard operating procedure in the late and unlamented Soviet Union.  If a dissenter had a potential future use, he was incarcerated in the asylum or sent to the gulags,  rather than killed. 

One of the most evil practices I know of is a lobotomy or a motorcycle gang, stomping on someone’s head. Take out some brains so that your enemy becomes a street person in New York City, scavenging in trash bins and sleeping in cardboard boxes in the winter . . . and with no ability to improve their lot. It is like turning a person into an animal with few survival skills.