Here is the direction the smartphone is going.

This lady (Amazing Polly) starts out her video in a conspiracy theory sort of way, but by the time she ends, she's making too much goddam sense.

You have to see this.

Don't think the China behavioral control model can't happen in the West.

The techno-elitists and crony elitists salivate as they dream about how to get it implemented.

And you know one of the ways they will do it?

With Facebook's new cryptocurrency, which is getting the adherence of major banking systems, that's how. Once the market it completely cashless, once all your spending is controlled on the Internet, and once you cannot spend without contributing to the central database, you're trapped. They have your entire life in the database through social media and the online services you use, which means they can cut off your money, or the use of your money, at any moment because they don't like your behavior.

This is exactly what China is doing right now and what our future master-gods-of-the-universe-if-we-let-them dream about. 

Michael

An unsettling story by Casey Newton of The Verge ... on Facebook content moderators.

11 hours ago, william.scherk said:

An unsettling story by Casey Newton of The Verge ... on Facebook content moderators.

William,

I tried to read this one, but it is an exercise in toxic vulnerability. Poor little victims. They saw boo-boos online from all those meanies who post on Facebook, so they had to eat until they were obese.

Gimmee a break.

I thought there was going to be some kind of expose on Facebook's manipulative addiction algorithms or whatever. Actually, there may well be since I did not read the whole thing. I just got turned off by the long-form whining.

Ah... man is so cruel... just now there was a video of a dog tortured to death, and someone said something racist... oh my, when are we ever going to outlaw meanies... please pass another chocolate donut...

(yawn...)

Michael

6 hours ago, Michael Stuart Kelly said:

William,

I tried to read this one, but it is an exercise in toxic vulnerability. Poor little victims. They saw boo-boos online from all those meanies who post on Facebook, so they had to eat until they were obese.

Gimmee a break.

I thought there was going to be some kind of expose on Facebook's manipulative addiction algorithms or whatever. Actually, there may well be since I did not read the whole thing. I just got turned off by the long-form whining.

Ah... man is so cruel... just now there was a video of a dog tortured to death, and someone said something racist... oh my, when are we ever going to outlaw meanies... please pass another chocolate donut...

(yawn...)

Michael

Why did you choose to write "chocolate donut" rather than other flavors? Huh? Huh?

J

4 minutes ago, Jonathan said:

You should be, frickin Nazi.

J

The Nazi's only ate pretzels, zucchini, and zebra meat, just like their admirers the KKK never use the letter "C."

PBS has an interesting story from the 1880's about the German exploitation of what is now called Namibia in Africa. They treated the indigenous population like they later treated the Jews with slave labor and executions. I think the natives were required to dig for diamonds, and they were closely monitored. And no crap, their poop was searched for swallowed gemstones. I think that practice also made its way to South Africa. Tony may be able to provide more info if he reads this, not that the Boers or the English were as bad as the Germans. It just struck me, how the road was being paved in German "public life and news" for someone like Hitler. Peter     

On 9/4/2018 at 9:49 AM, william.scherk said:

Adjacent to "Deep Fake" videos ... from Peter Rejcek at Singularity Hub.

The New AI Tech Turning Heads in Video Manipulation

Q-interpreter Joe M issues an alert about fake deep-fake fake faking ...

The joke will be on them in the end. The Gang of course was horrified when they came to understand that the now Trump-led Alliance had obtained all the dirt they use to keep one another in line. They asssume their ultimate takedown will consist of a strategically-phased release of that blackmail material and they are busy now throwing doubt and confusion on all things photographic and video. That will succeed to some extent, it will somewhat blunt the usefulness of the material, it will somehwat increase the burden on prosecutors who will now have to spend time and resources bolstering the other categories of admissible evidence to ensure convictions. But it won’t change much.

Also, the doubt and confusion generated, that’s in the public. But the media complex is not allowed to do their thing inside a tribunal. Fakes are definitively detectable and there will be no escaping that reality at tribunal and the evidence will be admitted. This doubt and confusion project is mostly futile.

From Elizabeth Thompson at CBC News:  Twitter banning political ads in Canada until election campaign.

16 minutes ago, william.scherk said:

From Elizabeth Thompson at CBC News:  Twitter banning political ads in Canada until election campaign.

I briefly looked at your link. So this is an attempt to stop "meddling?" I would not call a communication tidbit, or a political ad, "meddling." Written speech is similar to free spoken speech, no matter its source. What if a company like Yahoo, MSN, or Google only allowed positive political ads for the candidates they support? Negative ads for the candidates they would like to see defeated are allowed. Does that mean they are a propaganda organ? It's a difficult question made a bit simpler if the messages are coming across an international border.    

6 hours ago, Peter said:

So this is an attempt to stop "meddling?"

It used to be that an election was called out of the blue by the current Prime Minister. He or she would troop off to the Governor General and ask him or her to dissolve Parliament and name a date for the election of a new one.  The final act of the vice-regal signature dumbshow is referred to as 'dropping the writ,' meaning the writ of election.  

Thus began "official" campaigns. Which often lasted as little as 23 days.

Since the Tories passed a law of fixed election dates, the federal campaign can no longer 'officially' begin at a surprise writ drop. The parties, the official parties haul in the money and spend it to their plans throughout the life of a Parliament, but are bound by the Elections Act once the writ ... etc. 

We have no exact equivalent of PACs or Super-PACs, but have the same kinds of grey and murky zones where purchases of advertising are not keyed-to-source. The evolution of dark money is supposedly an enemy of electoral fairness and campaign finance ritual peek-a-boo.

I figure there would also be a scandal in America if foreign interests or agents secretly funded and/or directed 'as-if' campaigns (hiding the source of funding, lying about the actual representatives 'agreeing' with the message/s). Foreign nations generally pretend to have no interests and to favour no party during an election period --  "Vive le Québec libre" notwithstanding.  

As in the USA, there are boring and interfering laws and monitoring/reporting bodies, who are hired to try to make purchasing of political advertising and other funding of political activity somewhat transparent and 'official.' "Official" spending is thus to be kept in a public ledger, so to speak, and sometimes to a per-head limit.

In our vast northern wonderland of mandarins finding new ways to throttle freedom, it seems other spending should ought also bear a 'paid by' note.  From one angle, money is more than ever the king of the message -- in terms of raw purchase power in broadcast and legacy media and the traditional hoopla of signs and flyers of a federal hoe-down.  In other venues, of course, a campaign can be targeted to "trigger" a psychological sweet spot demographic by ever more clever means.  In such a huge information landscape much 'politicking' can still come in via smaller, cheaper, less 'regulated' and transparent means.

The law updates by the Liberals here are allegedly a response to the challenges of transparency in the digital age, and in line with the remit of the old Elections Act. Fair, transparent, open to audit. 

But what else is new?

I would not call a communication tidbit, or a political ad, "meddling." Written speech is similar to free spoken speech, no matter its source.

Let me put it this way: which shady arms-length, donors-hidden Canadian/Iranian oligarchs run advertisements touting this or that party or this or that candidate? Which slush fund cabal splurges on material for or against a US policy, which benefits certain interest groups (or Deep State cabal "Gang") north or south of the border? Would you care if these putative actors did or did not identify their cash-and-favours contributions, if any?

I don't think I know exactly how Rand would answer, and by extension, what kind of oversight is licit under an Objectivist dispensation. I think you'd practically hope that the result wasn't a hopeless and expensive botch or 'close the barn door, we have no horses' kind of pratfall.

Past Canadian campaign money and false-front campaign activity scandals are far too boring to inflict upon the readers. If you want to know a bit more about what chicanery the new rules are designed to make translucent if not see-through, do read past the first paragraph at CBC, or show some interest in the "what will it mean, practically?" or "what possible chicanery will be subverted?"

Twitter is a monster led by people who are stupider than the AI that helps them make bad decisions.  If they run a Canadian Election Ad (and campaign) on their platform, the AI lint-trapping algorithms and procedures are presumably going to alert the stupid and poorly-trained lower-rung workers to "tag" items appropriately.

[...]

"Twitter will be prohibiting partisan and political ads from June 30 until the day the writ is dropped, which is also the day the election is called," Michele Austin, head of government and public policy for Twitter Canada, said in an interview with CBC News.

"So, no partisan ads will be accepted by Twitter. However, the minute the election begins, we will be allowing political advertising, including issue advertising, on the platform."

If someone tries to get around the ban and advertise anyway, Austin said, the ads will be taken down.

While the company won't allow ads for parties or candidates, it will OK ads for political issues over the summer. So while advertisers won't be able to promote a candidate, they will be able to run ads on Twitter that deal with issues like the environment, health care or government spending. T

The new election rules only cover advertising on issues during the campaign.

Once the election begins, Twitter will launch an online ad registry as required under the new election rules. Canadians will be able to see political and issues ads, who's paying for them and who they're trying to reach. Facebook has already begun putting that kind of information online.

However, many other big online companies, including Google and Microsoft, have said it's too hard to comply with Canada's new rules for online advertising during the election period. Microsoft isn't allowing political advertising anywhere. 

[...]

Austin acknowledged it has taken some time for Twitter to deal with the changes to the law, and said that is why the company will only accept ads once the campaign starts.

"There's no doubt that this law has been a challenge for us," she said. "We want to make sure that we build a reliable, transparent site that Canadian users can trust as they seek information about elections because there is no more important conversation on Twitter than that conversation that happens during elections."

Austin said the company is also taking steps to prevent its platform from being used to disrupt the upcoming election and to crack down on bots.

"We've really done a lot to tighten our rules with regard to automated content and patrol them extremely heavily. We've done a better job in ensuring that the kinds of interactions that users have with other users of Twitter are authentic and human interactions as opposed to automated or malicious actors through bots."

[...]

"There has been a great concern for Canadians with regard to foreign interference," Austin explained. "We'll be taking a look at what country various tweets have originated in, if they are Canadian, if they are off site, and making sure that we understand the context of what's happening during the campaign and that users have a really positive experience in terms of having an authentic conversation full of information, which is one of the reasons why they come to Twitter."

Austin said the company will also be working with Elections Canada and the commissioner of elections.

May this post-writ-drop election be as exciting if not as expensive and sleazy as it can be. You guys will still be a year out from the big November 2020 drama. 

Get Prepared for October.

preparingForOctoberElectionsCanada.png

Edited by william.scherk
Added image to accompany the link to Big Brother

Wow. I will need to reread that. I remember a political ad that showed a little girl picking daisies when . . . I just looked it up so I wouldn’t botch it. The ad was called or described as Girl with Daisy and Atomic Bomb Explosion 1964 from Lyndon B. Johnson. The ad was against Barry Goldwater, and another bit said it was called, "Peace Little Girl.”  Was there also something like that when Ronald Reagan first ran? Goldwater. Reagan. Trump. They must have something in common.

William wrote: Since the Tories passed a law of fixed election dates, the federal campaign can no longer 'officially' begin at a surprise writ drop. end quote

I like that system better. Canada is more like America than you might like to admit. But why can’t America be more like Canada too? Do you have term limits on every elected office? A bureaucracy that does the menial work for a 30 year career and become insiders and power brokers? A creep like J. Edgar Hoover who kept files on anyone who might run for office so he could black mail them? Indian Reservations? Well Indians can now vote. We sure have the good, the bad and the ugly.    

To nullify the above mentioned political ad I will show some lyrics to my new musical why can’t America be more like Canada. It will be done by those South Park guys who wrote, “Blame Canada.” Peter

From “My Fair Lady.”

Henry: What in all in heaven could've prompted her to go,
After such a triumph as the ball?
What could've depressed her;
What could've possessed her?
I cannot understand the wretch at all.

Women are irrational, that's all there is to that!
Their heads are full of cotton, hay, and rags!
They're nothing but exasperating, irritating,
vacillating, calculating, agitating,
Maddening and infuriating hags!

Pickering, why can't a woman be more like a man?

One of the upcoming goals of the social media giants is to make their virtual communities real ones.

So long as Canada is letting the camel get its nose under the tent with their stupid idea about a government-big tech partnership for ideological censorship, look at Toronto. It's diving whole hog into the oven and say, "Please bake me."

The issue is Smart Cities. Google wants to run everything in people's lives, even their bathroom habits, and Toronto thinks that might be a good idea. With the upcoming 5G network, that will be easy-peasy once built. (There is some resistance, though.)

The Amazing Polly just presented one of the clearest explanations of this I have seen to date (although she did not discuss 5G). 

Here's the BitChute link in case that YT video ever goes down.

VIDEO - THE TRUTH ABOUT SMART CITIES

Polly ties the modern Smart City concept to a similar villa project during the French Revolution and she even talks about the lady from Google that James O'Keefe busted above in this thread.

If you know nothing about Smart Cities, this video will educate you in no time flat and in an interesting manner to boot. Seriously. This is a very good presentation. Don't forget, you will have to learn about smart cities eventually because fake social media is evolving into fake smart cities.

But don't forget a touch of reality. Look where the big tech oligarchs live (say, San Francisco) and see the well-demarcated classes that live there: the rich, the peasants, and the homeless. Oh... don't forget to step around the human feces from the untouchables on the sidewalks.

What could possibly go wrong with these jokers in charge of your entire life?

Canada (especially Toronto) doesn't deserve that.

Michael

• 2 weeks later...

"BrainNet: A Multi-Person Brain-to-Brain Interface for Direct Collaborations Between Brains."

On 6/20/2019 at 4:40 AM, Michael Stuart Kelly said:

Here is the direction the smartphone is going.

"The impulse is coming from a brain in Thailand. Put the knife down."  More seriously, wait till the Targeted Individual community processes this item from Nature:

BRAIN_NET.png

ESP and the ability to read minds is a stock SciFi story line. If you don't want to go crazy you need to be able to turn it off. We were talking about Kamala Harris on another thread. To me she looks like someone who is always thinking about sex and is half turned on no matter what she is saying.

Then there is the "story" about he CIA finding three people who can tell with a really high accuracy if someone is lying but that is not ESP.    

1 hour ago, Peter said:

To me she [Kamala Harris] looks like someone who is always thinking about sex and is half turned on no matter what she is saying.

Judge a book by its cover ... 

... the hungry, predatory, desperate and sexually-charged Senator has a Look for you, Peter.

Spoiler

Climate_of_Kamala_2.gif

23 hours ago, william.scherk said:

Judge a book by its cover ... 

... the hungry, predatory, desperate and sexually-charged Senator has a Look for you, Peter.

Reveal hidden contents

Climate_of_Kamala_2.gif

Yeah. That's "the amused, put it back in your pants, bigshot" look.

Ms. Harris? Can you come into my office? Hi, Kamala. You are a great intern. Ooops I dropped my pen. Could you pick it up for me? Wow. You could be a senator some day.

28 minutes ago, Peter said:

You could be a senator some day.

la-1547056547-pvlceysu0m-snap-image

Correct. But you cannot become president without amassing at least sixty-five million votes ... with only 210 days left until Iowans dial their votes in, there's a lot of grunt work to do in a relatively brief span of time.

Speculating on a plausible Democratic candidate's sexual conquests will add a certain zany counterpoint to reality as fate unscrolls. "Grab 'em by the pussy!" 

President Trump Delivers Remarks at the Presidential Social Media Summit - via YouTube.

Tim Pool, spoiler:

Spoiler

Alarming!

36 minutes ago, Michael Stuart Kelly said:

Fantastic!

The seed has been planted.

If President Trump migrates from Twitter and Facebook, let's see what those "superior masters of us all" do when this prompts a stampede from their platforms to others.

It sure sounds like President Trump is interested.

:)

Michael

He says his name is Scott but with that hippy dippy hair . . . ? I hope El Presidente watches out, if he is "interested." Yuk. That's the yuk laugh not the "yuk!: yuk. 

On 8/23/2018 at 11:32 AM, william.scherk said:

[ .. ]

I hypothesize that the persuasion landscape so to speak, the world of persuasion, the big bucks paid to often secretive organizations and schemes to provide so-called Target targeted targeted recipients is not a science but an art. Those of our dear readers who have plunged into the pool of information concerning Cambridge analytica for example, might wonder what the big box and secrecy inside Ewing wa

. I noted numeral to items where Facebook and Twitter head each removed accounts which were not in their words authentic.

My words are not flowing so I will return to this later you may laugh and shame me for the rambling incoherence until I return. Insert emoticon of Grimm pleasure.

[Added: since this is quoted, I won't bother to tidy it up.  After 6,222 posts I am allowed an incoherent ramble if not two]

Cambridge Analytica shenanigans pays off for Facebook.

Edited by william.scherk
Fixed blank tweet link. It is dog howling time in the neighbourhood.