Jordan Peterson, God, and god beliefs ...

Popping this into a topic of its own ... from here:

On 6/3/2018 at 4:12 AM, Michael Stuart Kelly said:

As to whether God exists or not, I like Jordan Peterson's answer when he said he doesn't like the question. So many people mean so many things by that question, it's hard to answer it without getting slammed by someone, and getting slammed for something I most likely would not believe in anyway (their vision).

Jordan Peterson has had more than one go at a definition of God this week.  Each of the succeeding ones strain my conceptual vocabulary.  Apparently, in an extended conversation with Sam Harris, he figured out what Harris sees as "God."

A fair ways from anything as simple as The Creator of the Universe, The First Cause, but maybe close to other vaguely promising takes:  The Ground of Being. That Ineffable Thing.

Maybe the fun part of understanding Peterson is when he tells people without faith (in gods) that they are fooling themselves. Of course they believe in god/s. Deep Down somewhere.

Here is David Pakman giving a couple of issues a go.  Not as interesting as speculating on the money troubles at ARI, perhaps, but hey.

-- both Harris and Peterson were at the fabulous Orpheum Theatre in downtown Vancouver just a few days back. This article in Canada's National Observer serves as a review of the encounter. At some point a pay-to-view, Patreon, or free version of the talks may be made available.

Sam Harris and Jordan Peterson waste a lot of time, then talk about God for 20 minutes, by Michael Ruffolo in Analysis | June 26th 2018

dsc09046_copy.jpg?itok=iAQGJ8MN

Edited by william.scherk
Added imagery

Here I include a sampler from the beginning of a really good exchange of views between Jordan Peterson and Susan Blackmore (click for a Wiki bio, if you don't know much about her); the original video on Youtube is called Jordan Peterson vs Susan Blackmore • Do we need God to make sense of life?

• 2 weeks later...

Here is an ungodly person being a bit recursive about Jordan Peterson. I had to laugh at the intro, but the moral of the story is rational.

Edited by william.scherk
Tone control

• 2 weeks later...

This is Jordan Peterson speaking directly to my soul, or to the soul of a dispute, or to the soul of an analogy:

-- the creepiest part is that he seems to be suggesting I/we/you/one can be wrong!

• 1 month later...

Here is Jordan Peterson in conversation with Greg Salmieri of the Ayn Rand Institute on the "objectivity of values":