Crossborder Faceoffs

caroljane

Snatched from the pages of Memeorandum.  You can probably imagine how this looks from a Canadian point of view.

trumpWar1812.png

The G7 meetings in Quebec City Malbaie are going to be a hell of a lot of fun ...

Edited by william.scherk
Fixed G7 location; added link to Quebec G7 story war at the BBC

19 minutes ago, william.scherk said:

Snatched from the pages of Memeorandum.  You can probably imagine how this looks from a Canadian point of view.

trumpWar1812.png

The G7 meetings in Quebec City are going to be a hell of a lot of fun ...

Hey Donald, we didn't burn it right down, but we sure set it on fire.  Maybe next time...  l if Melania  happened to be there, suppose she would channel stout-hearted Dolley Madison and save the White House treasures?  I doubt Donald would let her  risk her manicure rescuing  a portrait of FDR for instance lol.

Meanwhile back at the Ford Circus,  Rob Ford's mother from her  glass house calls her son's widow an addict (just like her own daughter was, I guess),  the widow says she can't afford her house and has put the For Sale sign up, and both sides are using those poor kids as PR weapons.  Sigh sigh SIGH, this will just make the Fordites double down on their fervour; I think I better retreat to a remote abbey and take all my books with me. It's getting dark around here.

• Like 1

On 6/3/2018 at 10:18 PM, caroljane said:

Bobby Clarke, legend and Bully-in-Chief of the Broad Street Bullies!  Of course you would become a Trump fan-- I understand it all now. Actually I liked Clarke and his fiendish toothless grin, apparently he has become a good hockey exec now.

Did you see Trump's tweet about the Caps when they beat the Pens and advanced to the Cup final, finally?  He reminded them they are chokemeisters and said Barry Trotz was losing sleep. Way to encourage the home team, Donald.

Benefit of the doubt, maybe he's a Rangers fan and bears a grudge against Washington for winning the East.

You have endeared yourself to me eternally for that comment about my Flyers ! Muchas gracias Carolinda !  Love the Flyers - Trump comment ! 

It actually does make sense although the former owner of the Flyers was a big Rand dude , no ? Snyder . 

Happiest day of my life ( as a 16 year old ) and still top 10 was when Clarke broke buddies ankle and “ The Russians are going home”  chant started !!!!  

See , I love Trump cause he don’t flip flop and change just because he resides in DC , he is a New York boy who hates the Capitals, that’s real !!!! Trunp is real . 

Your buddy Obama would flip and flop just like your girl Hillary who was a resident in a new state every time her political ambitions changed . 

Trump is real , that’s why folks love him,  he busts balls, talks shit , real folks on the grind daily like myself love that , elitists don’t . 

Did’nt Rand write a piece about Trump entitled “ hating the good for being good “ ? 

Lastly ,as now I am hijacking this thread ( although it is called “ face offs “ ,  I love Clarke but hate him as an exec . 

Last time we win , I was 13 , now I’m 56 and we have gone to the finals like 7 tines . 

Carol , remember Kate Smith ? God bless her and RIP 

6 hours ago, caroljane said:

Hey Donald, we didn't burn it right down, but we sure set it on fire.  Maybe next time...  l if Melania  happened to be there, suppose she would channel stout-hearted Dolley Madison and save the White House treasures?  I doubt Donald would let her  risk her manicure rescuing  a portrait of FDR for instance lol.

Meanwhile back at the Ford Circus,  Rob Ford's mother from her  glass house calls her son's widow an addict (just like her own daughter was, I guess),  the widow says she can't afford her house and has put the For Sale sign up, and both sides are using those poor kids as PR weapons.  Sigh sigh SIGH, this will just make the Fordites double down on their fervour; I think I better retreat to a remote abbey and take all my books with me. It's getting dark around here.

Thank God that Wynne and Andrea whatever are both done within 24 hours . 

Lets make Ontario great again MOGA !!!!!! 

Only wimps double down , it’s all in or go home 

On 6/3/2018 at 8:52 PM, KorbenDallas said:

Trump wants the US to make its own steel again (MSGA), and Trump should know a lot about steel because his buildings don't fall down.

Reveal hidden contents

MSGA!

But note that Trump has used Chinese steel recently, a lot of it:

Six Facts on Donald Trump’s Use of Chinese Steel

https://aflcio.org/2016/10/12/six-facts-donald-trumps-use-chinese-steel

[...]

Donald Trump used Chinese steel and aluminum. The United States has a long history of producing high-quality steel and aluminum, but Trump chose Chinese manufacturers in at least two of his recent construction projects. The Trump International Hotel Las Vegas and the Trump International Hotel & Tower Chicago both used tons of Chinese metals.

The origin of the steel used was obscured. The origin of the steel used to build the Trump hotel in Las Vegas was hidden through a tangle of “various corporate entities, including holding companies registered in the British Virgin Islands," a popular location for offshore entities who place a premium on, ahem, discretion.

Trump spent at least $350 million on Chinese aluminum. Newsweek estimated Trump used 207,000 feet of Chinese aluminum for the Trump hotel in Chicago. Conservative estimates based on pound per foot means at least $350 million in sales went to a subsidiary of a Chinese aluminum manufacturer. This, when the American aluminum industry is collapsing. In the past two years, “more than half of the country’s aluminum smelters in states like Ohio, West Virginia and Texas have closed as a result of being undercut on price by competition from overseas.”

Chinese aluminum companies used predatory pricing. Trump purchased the aluminum used in the Trump hotel in Chicago “curtain walls” through entities that sold the aluminum products “below the cost of production or the amount charged in China.” This means American aluminum companies couldn’t possibly compete with foreign companies “willing to take losses on the sales of their building materials in hopes of driving companies in the United States out of business.” Patriotic.

Trump’s use of Chinese steel and aluminum is at the expense of America's workers. Trump doesn’t operate a publicly traded company, and he has no fiduciary obligation to shareholders. His decisions are all about higher profits for himself and his family at the expense of American producers and their employees.

Trump pays his Chinese partners. Or at least there aren’t any reports of Chinese steel or aluminum companies suing to be paid. Unlike in the United States, where workers have time and time again had to sue Trump in order to receive a partial payment for completed jobs.

Sad!

Steel , Trump as John Galt , we are living in Atlas Shrugged , great times !!!!!! 

20 minutes ago, Marc said:

You have endeared yourself to me eternally for that comment about my Flyers ! Muchas gracias Carolinda !  Love the Flyers - Trump comment ! 

It actually does make sense although the former owner of the Flyers was a big Rand dude , no ? Snyder . 

Happiest day of my life ( as a 16 year old ) and still top 10 was when Clarke broke buddies ankle and “ The Russians are going home”  chant started !!!!  

See , I love Trump cause he don’t flip flop and change just because he resides in DC , he is a New York boy who hates the Capitals, that’s real !!!! Trunp is real . 

Your buddy Obama would flip and flop just like your girl Hillary who was a resident in a new state every time her political ambitions changed . 

Trump is real , that’s why folks love him,  he busts balls, talks shit , real folks on the grind daily like myself love that , elitists don’t . 

Did’nt Rand write a piece about Trump entitled “ hating the good for being good “ ? 

Lastly ,as now I am hijacking this thread ( although it is called “ face offs “ ,  I love Clarke but hate him as an exec . 

Last time we win , I was 13 , now I’m 56 and we have gone to the finals like 7 tines . 

Carol , remember Kate Smith ? God bless her and RIP 

Oh Il oved Kate Smith so much, that I can pass over your uninformed political  opinions for her sake. She and Roger Doucet will be enthroned for ever on Hockey God Olympos, like Zeus and Hera.

Canadians should not be complacent, even though we have burned down the White House (and Baltimore) in retaliation for the sacking of Toronto, which apparently still rankles the White House.  Public opinion surveying suggests we have a politically-incorrect view of President Trump (factoring in Marc's support of Imperial Presidency).

According to a recent survey by Angus Reid [link added], just under three-quarters of Canadians believe Donald Trump to be arrogant, followed closely by the 62 per cent who perceive him as a liar.

The survey took a look at how Canadians regard G7 world leaders ahead of the upcoming summit in Quebec.

“I think if anything, it continues to underscore just how dimly Canadians view Donald Trump,” explained Angus Reid executive director Shachi Kurl. Canadians also viewed Trump as a bully, as dishonest and as corrupt. “These are pretty damning views of the president, but I think we’ve known that for a while.”

In addition, however, Canadians seem to hold mixed opinions about Prime Minister Justin Trudeau, who was primarily viewed as charismatic by Canadians, followed by weak, compassionate, arrogant and bumbling.

https://globalnews.ca/news/4253033/trump-arrogant-trudeau-weak-canadians-opinions/

I could do without the "your buddy Obama" and "your girl Hillary," but hey.

Gleig_0.jpg?itok=AFBJ1_bu

Edited by william.scherk
Burning, looting, sacking, destroying ... illustrating a meme

20 hours ago, caroljane said:

Oh Il oved Kate Smith so much, that I can pass over your uninformed political  opinions for her sake. She and Roger Doucet will be enthroned for ever on Hockey God Olympos, like Zeus and Hera.

Awwwwww thanks , lolol ! Kate Smith and Lauren Hart is the next best thing though . 

Remember Bobby Clarke use to bring her roses sometimes after she sang ?????????????????

Omg lived Roger Doucet too !!!!!!!! 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, william.scherk said:

Canadians should not be complacent, even though we have burned down the White House (and Baltimore) in retaliation for the sacking of Toronto, which apparently still rankles the White House.  Public opinion surveying suggests we have a politically-incorrect view of President Trump (factoring in Marc's support of Imperial Presidency).

I could do without the "your buddy Obama" and "your girl Hillary," but hey.

Gleig_0.jpg?itok=AFBJ1_bu

Hey , great read !!!! 

I do apologize for the buddy and girl comments , I get defensive of my President , 

The  DOW closed at , 25,241 today , I wonder if Clinton would have won( in some parallel alternate Universe ), what the DOW would be today ?  10,000 ? 

On 6/6/2018 at 12:30 PM, william.scherk said:

The G7 meetings in Quebec City Malbaie are going to be a hell of a lot of fun ...

Why?  Well, the G-7 used to be the G-8 ... and Mr Trump is taking Putin's side against the West**.  Russia, Russia, Russia!

Video extracted from Infowars' President Trump Calls For Russia To Be Invited Back To G7 Summit

Why seek Russian re-admittance to the Great Economic Powers Club, when its economy is smaller than Canada's?  Why seek Russian re-admittance, without mentioning the reasons for the expulsion in the first place?

Q. Questions.

** according to some figures at Wikipedia, the G-7 countries "represent more than 62% of the global net wealth ($280 trillion)" ...

Edited by william.scherk
Added link to Infowars video; redux

2 hours ago, william.scherk said:

Why?  Well, the G-7 used to be the G-8 ... and Mr Trump is taking Putin's side against the West**.  Russia, Russia, Russia!

Video extracted from Infowars' President Trump Calls For Russia To Be Invited Back To G7 Summit

Why seek Russian re-admittance to the Great Economic Powers Club, when its economy is smaller than Canada's?  Why seek Russian re-admittance, without mentioning the reasons for the expulsion in the first place?

Q. Questions.

** according to some figures at Wikipedia, the G-7 countries "represent more than 62% of the global net wealth ($280 trillion)" ...

Expulsion is the meme of he day I guess,   as America  Firster and trade protectionist  hero is now being bothered by another annoying distraction (Stanley Cup thread has details).

The hugely profitable Canadian hockey industry, whose American branch grew mightily  under NAFTA, threatening  even to surpass football if expansion continues until 2045,  has  an unfair advantage since they get  some income from the NHL even though 60%  of the teams are American!  It is too uppity and needs to be put in its place. Americans should support American sports, like golf.

Man, Canadians can't stand President Trump so much, they definitely have to keep Canada under a liberal government, like say, in Ontario. Huh?

Oh wait...

Did I understand correctly what happened yesterday in the Ontario elections?

Did Trump-friendly conservative Doug Ford, brother of deceased party-hound Rob Ford, just wipe the floor with his opponent--and wipe it so badly that the liberal political party of the incumbent is no longer recognized in the Ontario legislature?

Oops...

:evil: :) 

Michael

2 hours ago, Michael Stuart Kelly said:

Did Trump-friendly conservative Doug Ford, brother of deceased party-hound Rob Ford, just wipe the floor with his opponent

In wrestling terms, yes. Ford crushed, Ford body-slammed, Ford did the five moves of doom on -- not one but three opponents. The new leader of the Progressive Conservatives of Ontario then seized the imagination of Americans for three heady hours.

Because of the first-past-the-post, one riding at a time Westminster system, the almost 41% of the vote gained by the Progressive Conservatives gave the party a solid majority of seats in the provincial legislature.  The 59% who didn't vote for the PCs can rue that they 'split' their votes.  

--and wipe it so badly that the liberal political party of the incumbent is no longer recognized in the Ontario legislature?

Yes, Premier Wynne resigned as leader, with her party having been shut out of all but seven seats (including her own) -- which leaves the Liberals without party favours in the new legislature.

The second party we don't have to mention, but we will.  The new official opposition will be the New Democratic Party, led by Andrea Horwath.

ONTARIO ELECTION RESULTS
Party PC NDP Lib Green
%  40.64  33.69  19.3 4.62
Seats  76  40  7 1

Oops...

The Liberal Party had been in power for fifteen years.  Their defeat is Ontario's way of saying "thank you, clear your desk, move on."  One of the greatest electoral "crushings" ever was when Prime Minister Kim Campbell led the federal Conservatives from a majority of 156 seats to just two ... back in 1993.  One of the joys of democracy is 'throw the bums out' elections. Even if you don't support Ford, the rotation of power is a precious thing, and should be noted.

Now, should we accept that forty percent of Ontario loves Trump?  That I don't know.

For those Americans here who can manage another four to nine minutes of interest in Ontario ... Top 10 traits that show Doug Ford and Donald Trump are cut from the same froth, by Martin Regg Cohn in the Hamilton Spectator's opinion pages back in April.

Meanwhile, in La Malbaie ...

ba237e84ae7c83ad62e368189671f33b

Edited by william.scherk
Grrrrrammar, finicks.
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, william.scherk said:

Meanwhile, in La Malbaie ...

ba237e84ae7c83ad62e368189671f33b

William,

Interesting posture:

Justin.png

Try this out for size.

Imagine him in spandex, standing on a skyscraper with a cape fluttering in the wind.

Or imagine him from the perspective of a urinal.

Both work in my mind's eye.

(You have no idea of what else lurks in there.)

:)

Michael

What's happening in Canada is a microcosm of what's happening all over the world.

People, of course, are not happy when they don't get free shit anymore, especially since they have gotten it from the US for decades in exchange for, essentially, nothing. Sometimes they even used it as leverage for not toadying up to dictators. Gimmee more stuff or I'll do a deal with the Communists, etc...

Instead, now President Trump is telling them to toady up to whoever they want if that's what they want. Then suffer the consequences. But regardless, they are not going to get all that free shit anymore.

The thing is, if they did fair trade, there would be even more wealth for everyone than there is now. As anyone knows, but insider elites always forget, wealth is created, not just taken from other folks.

Ayn Rand argued against the US foreign handouts at least going back to the time she campaigned for Wendell Willkie in 1940 (and probably before).

Cockeyed tariff agreements and the such are nothing but jazzed up handouts. If I were a person living off handouts from another country, I, too, would probably be pissed when the well went dry.

We can expect a lot of grumbling from those who are losing their free shit, but I expect the elites among the grumblers to fall in line when they grok that this drying up of free shit is real, but there is a way to get even more stuff through fair trade. Thus there is a way to keep their underlings and constituencies happy so they can keep power, even if it entails letting go of freeloaders and favoring the hard honest workers among their peeps. I further expect that elite individuals who don't grok this will lose their power to upstarts who do.

Michael

On 6/3/2018 at 7:06 PM, william.scherk said:

Everything steel and aluminum costs more now, so there's that.  If Canada matched the milk-supports of the USA, our dairy would be the cheapest in North America and would flood all the way to New Orleans. Our version of communist-based milk-price-support is not gargantuan cheese stockpiles but managing production, planned to demand.  This achieves the Canadian goal of market price stability and allows innovation.  So Quebec dominates all of North America with its cheeses' quality and reach  while its aviation and heavy rail products inch their way into every pantry.  Its circuses also crush everyone in the American market. What to do about these built-in advantages? What are we supposed to do?

Our lumber is as always the finest in the Americas and stands on Crown land (cheap!) and our hydro is cheap because it's by nature's own powerful capitalist design; our oil is cheap and handy to the US, as are our coal and copper, nickel, uranium, molybdenum, diamonds and gold. Our grain is managed by national co-operatives, so that the prairies never again experience a Dirty Thirties.  I just don't see these things re-balancing to serve a Republican agenda.  No elected conservative in Canada has come down on the Trump side of the disputes.

I don't really know the full outrage Canada has visited upon America via  trade, but Trump's tweets and statements indicate his displeasure with these areas above. How else to we f**k them over, I'll do some digging.

The best way to make peace with Trump may be to blame it on those danged political structures designed by French-Canadians ... n'est-ce pas?

-- for those tempted by the idea that Canada is simply a dominion, not really apart from America and actually "ruled" by the Deep Understanding that Canadian foreign policy will not be allowed to get seriously out of whack with America's, and tempted to view it as a backyard in the sense of property, then you need to court dissonance and point out that this suggests an ever greater union. Union, as in no cross-state impediments to commerce.

Trade destroyed the old Japanese system. Trade destroyed the communism of Mao. Trade made the Soviet Union great.  Now the dwindling economies of the East are mad. The slumping work corps and birth rates in Russia are but one example of a system in decay. Almost psychotic levels of corruption abound in the former soviet lands.  What point to reward their countries with access and contracts?

I am totally optimistic about US-Canada trade in the long-run. It churns back and forth every day and it will continue. I do see it mostly on Justin Trudeau's shoulders.  The two leaders should meet at some point if the dispute gets fiery and the lava splatters widely.

Who'd have thought of a 'friendly' summit with Russia, and an 'unfriendly' summit with Canada?

It use a phrase  of the (older) George Bush,  Canada is the kinder, gentler  America.

"IT-Backed Authoritarianism" June 8, 2018 by Robert Tracinski. If you want to know where Google's social-engineering aspirations are headed, you don't need to look to the future. Look to China's "social credit system," a merger of Western-style financial credit scores with a more nebulous and politicized measure of a citizen's orderliness--and political loyalty. Here's an overview which emphasizes the all-encompassing nature of the social credit system and the role of private companies in establishing this "IT-backed authoritarianism."

"As both the private and public components of social credit expand in China, there's legitimate concern the system will end up creating an 'IT-backed authoritarianism' unlike any other. One independent journalist has already been barred from buying plane tickets because of court fees related to his work, for example. "But, for now, it remains grimly captivating to see the benefits and rewards created by such an ambitious and potentially dystopian project....

"In China, a high credit score can help you find a date. Zhenai.com, a dating service with 140 million users which is partly-owned by the American parent company behind Tinder, gives users with high Sesame Credit scores better visibility on their website. And in a Tinder-like move, dating giant Baihe.com lets users with high Sesame Credit show off their score to members of the opposite sex as long as they agree to display their scores as well.

"Sometimes, though, mixing up social credit and dating goes too far. In late 2016, Alipay launched a new feature on its app called Circles which created women-only groups where only men with Sesame Credit scores over 750 could comment on women's posts--which they immediately did, mostly by asking for sex. The feature was widely-derided as digital prostitution--one blogger called it 'Alipimp'--and it was soon taken down....

"In a sign that the government is using the social credit system to deepen its control [on] civil society, social credit is being harnessed to crack down on 'illegal social organizations.'... The regulations state that one's social credit would be affected if they were found to be involved in running such an organization. But what makes a 'social organization' legal or illegal in China sometimes has a lot to with its political stance. China has cracked down on foreign-funded NGOs, while the same ministry attacking 'illegal social organizations' recently required that the legal ones include Communist Party 'building' in their charters to "'ensure their correct political direction.'"

What is interesting is that a lot of this is non-political and is more like the financial credit score in the US, rewarding some forms of good behavior by lowering costs and reducing barriers for people with responsible habits. But what makes this so ominous is precisely the integration of these aspects of life with politics, in one seamless measure of a citizen's compliance and conformability. One of the trends of the current era is the attempt to break down the barrier that separates the political from the personal and to show our disapproval of other people's political views by blocking the offenders from normal, non-political activities like being able to hold a job or join a club or get into a school. China's social credit score is a more consistent, "IT-backed" implementation of this approach.

• Like 1

Well, so much for "Trump of the North," as they say:

• Like 1

10 hours ago, BaalChatzaf said:

It use a phrase  of the (older) George Bush,  Canada is the kinder, gentler  America.

I have got to really appreciate the Bushes, seeing who the Republicans have now.  George W is not even that bad a painter for an amateur. No Anthony Quinn or Churchill, but not bad.

Also, Kennebunkport is cool.

14 hours ago, Michael Stuart Kelly said:

LOL...

Little potato...

Michael

With all respect due to your  source "Prison Planet", each Chinese written character has as many meanings depending on context, as does spoken Chinese depending on intonation

.Perhaps the Chinese are familiar with the success of McCain's potato empire, centred in Florenceville, N.B., and wish to make the potato more popular in Chinese cuisine.

Perhaps, poetically, they admire the success of the "big potato" Pierre and his deeply-rooted support  for  our  constitution and customs.  Perhaps they are indicating that his son will grow into a big potato too.

Or maybe , having   been through more famines than any other recorded peoples, they feel more comfortable with root vegetables big and liittle, than with foreign warlords.

5 hours ago, caroljane said:

With all respect due to your  source "Prison Planet"...

Carol,

Not Prison Planet as the big out there glob of unintelligence, uncouthness and big poopy bad bad bad. :) 

Granted, Paul Joseph Watson works for Infowars, but he lives in England and is basically a free agent on the more fringe conspiracy theory stuff--even when he broadcasts on Infowars. His target is globalism and the sanctimonious mainstream fake news culture, but he's very disciplined about it. Also, he's a big appreciator of the cultural masterworks of Western Civilization throughout the centuries and disparages those who try to tear them down. The high level of his erudition might shock you.

I have never seen anyone prove anything negative about his sourcing. That's one area his critics avoid because he's always rock-solid in that department. I've seen him called a lot of names by the fake news folks, though. And I've seen him give as good as he gets.

I once saw him disagree with Alex live on air when Alex, being overly emotional, asked him if he thought he (Alex) was lying. Paul didn't get angry right back, but calmly said something to the effect of: "I'm restricting my comments to the sources I can verify. That's the way I work." And Alex backed down.

Michael