Minimize the risk of home burning down

I am terrified of my home burning down. What can I do to minimize this risk?

I live in an apartment building. Our unit is on the third floor ( 5 units total in the building). The building is about 70 years old. It has been rehabilitated 25 years ago. The house has got a furnace, water heater, washer/dryer and a kitty litter. All of them are stuffed into one small closet. There are plenty of power strips and surge protectors around the house. Although they are working, they are rarely used at the fireplace. So, I am concerned about the old wiring. I am planning to install fire alarm security systems.

Is this effective? Can they prevent fire? Please give some genuine replies and suggestions. Thanks in advance!

The power strips are a good idea to protect electronics but don't plug too much into one outlet. I wouldn't think about moving unless there has been problems with electricity in the building. Get in touch with the other tenants for a discussion. 

I would not use a fire place. My in-laws lit theirs after several years of non use and the house filled up with smoke from an old squirrels nest in the chimney. Fire is obsolete and dangerous.

And who can predict what old wiring will do? I have several smoke detectors and a "gas protector" though I use a heat pump for heating and cooling. I smelled something burning the other day and finally tracked it down to a burned out florescent bulb in the bathroom. It was darkened and smelly but still putting out a flickering, feeble glow, and did not set off any smoke detectors. But I could smell it.

After having rain for 10 out of 11 days I am not worrying about a wild fire in the woods around my house. And surprisingly when I cut the grass yesterday, the ditch full of water, did not produce any mosquito bites.

Peter