At least it's Real Fake News

caroljane

Our local Trump wannabe, famous for being the late Rob Ford's brother and for blurting whatever is put into his head by anyone he happens to be talking to, has launched an innovative series of campaign ads which, his staff says, replaces actual news coverage  from the local press. That press does not "give him a fair shake", so he  abandoned the tradition of the campaign  media bus, and has provided the viewing public with alternative breaking news, press conferences and analysis using what Kellyanne Conalltheway would call "alternative facts".

"I don't govern through government, I govern through the will of the People", Doug Ford has announced.

He doesn't govern at all - he is an ex-city councillor - but he is running to govern Ontario and will probably win. You can fool some of the people some of the time, if they want to be fooled.

Hi Robert, thanks for the LOL. The Fords are a victimized group all to themselves, only able to hang onto their inherited fortune because most of their business is located in the US, and  persecuted by everyone except the People. As one of the People I intend to give Doug an earful when he starts to govern with my express approval.

• 3 weeks later...
On 5/4/2018 at 2:29 PM, caroljane said:

As one of the People I intend to give [Ontario Conservative Party leader] Doug [Ford] an earful when he starts to govern with my express approval.

The Ontario provincial election will take place on June 7th.  The current premier, Liberal Kathleen Wynne,  is assured of losing power, since her personal support has crashed below 20 percent. The Conservative, Ford, was until just lately expected to form a majority government. Then ...

Then the third party in the legislature -- the New Democratic Party -- began to take support from the collapsing Liberals. A poll this week suggested that they could possibly form a majority, were the polling correct.

So, Zzzzzzz ...

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

zzz-what, what?  Why'd you have to wake me?  Oh yea, Canadian politics is going through its cycle like Halley's Comet, and getting interesting again .

Marc, re my umbrage at your fairly innocuous slur on Trudeau's qualifications, I don't know why I got so upset at that - well, I do sort of.  It is all Conrad Black's fault. 

I had just heard him shilling for Trump on AM640 and his drawling condescending enthusiasm for a man whom he had always considered an amusing inferior , offended me in so many ways.  Firstly just that the man who threw his Canadian citizenship away to become  Lord Black, now seems to want to be an American pundit, slavish in his devotion to Trump as he was to Thatcher (who reportedly called him "the greatest bore unhung").  When Harper was PM,  he went through a phase of praising Canada, in hopes that he could regain his citizenship and become a tall poppy here again, but Harper wasn't playing. Now he's back to living here permanently, enjoying all his former perks without any responsibillities as a citizen, and deriding openly the policies and practices of the country he was too big for,and too smart for, until Chretien outsmarted him right out of the country.

I have written elsewhere I admire his achievements and his fortitude in prison and unlike his idol Trump he is a good husband.  But like Trump again he is a persistent and unashamed liar, which is what landed him in jail, and now he has paid his debt to society he should go back to Blighty where his lordship rightly belongs.

So your drama-teacher remarks hit me on my Trudeaumania at a particularly patriotic moment. And you know us Canadians have more of those moments than anybody else!

• 1 month later...
2 hours ago, Jules Troy said:

I’m soweey Peter.

He is such an embarrassment.

Hey, at least he doesn't try to communicate with his dead mother through psychics, or spend hours talking policy with his pet dogs. And he doesn't go into drunken states where he thinks his mother is dead, even though she's alive and kicking.

Buck up Jules!I say if MacDonald got us founded, and King got us through WWII, Trudeau can get us through Trump - with our own electoral rallying cry -eight more months! eight more months! 

The "witch hunt" aspect of #MeToo?  It looks like gunners are in the sky. According to Faye and the Deep, nine former wrestlers have suggested the important congressman overlooked abuses on his watch while involved in college wrestling.  Which means they are either all liars (the Roy Moore effect) or they have a gripe. Or somewhere in between.  Dots, maybe.

The first question that comes to mind is "if Faye and the Deep" are going to fake it, why do they need to check in with the hundreds of folks? Wouldn't the folks have a chance to defend the former coach? Why not just make the whole thing up and don't did any deeper?"

It's not beyond imagination that a team doctor might use the cover of his profession to insert abuse scenario here.  But how would we ever know the full story (as at Penn State) here? Apparently Ohio State is in the midst of some kind of inquiry.

How do all these, witnesses, non-witnesses, non-complainants,  non-witnesses, team-participants establish the truth of their testimonials? If the stories of abuse are true (good old doc killed himself, if that is a data point), can the perception of being ignored by those who should have looked out for you grow past the point of 'feeling' into knowing?

Jordan's Twitter account is fairly new. What isn't new, or fair, perhaps, is the amount of pushback he gets. I hope he doesn't read his notifications ... the fans aren't too fanatic, but the opponents might seem so.

Edited by william.scherk
Question marking

9 hours ago, william.scherk said:

The "witch hunt" aspect of #MeToo? 

The "witch hunt aspect" isn't the sporting world, but Hollywood still eating its own and having a personal "civil war."

9 hours ago, william.scherk said:

According to Faye and the Deep, nine former wrestlers have suggested the important congressman overlooked abuses on his watch while involved in college wrestling.  Which means they are either all liars (the Roy Moore effect) or they have a gripe.

No, it would be the Bill Clinton Effect. It gets named after the original, after the one with the highest rank, fame, and name recognition, and also the one who was accused of more and of worse behavior. 

So, today I was listening to NPR/MPR specifically with the "Faye Knuze" (snicker tee hee) device in mind (if we ridicule the claim of biased/slanted/activist reporting by giving it a cute name like "Faye," then it's not real, and is just kooky conspiratorial nonsense concocted by the Them Others).

The "news and analysis" this morning during my drive was about Trump's travels and meetings with our allies. The reports and expert commentary were all about the feelings of terror that everyone has about how mean and gauche Trump is being, how he is insulting our dear, dear friends and damaging relationships, and putting on a reality TV type of show. There was no reporting or analysis of policies, positions, whether or not Trump is correct that members have not been paying that which they had agreed to pay, whether or not those rates were comparatively fair to begin with, no numbers, no details, no history or context of past agreements and alterations to them, no mention of previous negotiations or renegotiating methods, and no attempt whatsoever to do anything other than begin and end with the premise that Trump is a dangerous buffoon so there's no need to report on any of that substance stuff.

But none of the above happened if we just say "Faye" in every post that we write, snigger tee hee hee. There is no fake news. There's no activism in the media. Leftists wouldn't do that! They're respectful of voters and of the laws, and would never lie or misrepresent themselves in order to gain power.

J

• Like 1

Re 'feelings of terror everyone has' ...

3 hours ago, Jonathan said:

So, today I was listening to NPR/MPR [...]

The "news and analysis" this morning during my drive was about Trump's travels and meetings with our allies.

Was it this one?  One of the reporters sounded like she had a stroke in the first few minutes ...

Or maybe this one:

From AP, via the Minnesota Public Radio website:  Trump's claim that NATO will boost defense spending disputed

Updated: 9:20 a.m. | Posted: 6:41 a.m.
In a chaotic 28 hours at NATO, President Trump disparaged longtime allies, cast doubt on his commitment to the mutual-defense organization and sent the 29-member pact into frenzied emergency session. Then, in a head-snapping pivot at the end, on Thursday he declared the alliance a "fine-tuned machine" that had acceded to his demands to speed up increases in military spending.

Trump claimed member nations had agreed to significantly boost their defense budgets and reaffirmed — after days of griping that the U.S. was being taken advantage of by its allies — that the U.S. remains faithful to the accord. "The United States' commitment to NATO remains very strong," Trump told reporters at a surprise news conference following an emergency session of NATO members held to address his threats.

There were no immediate specifics on what Trump said he had achieved, and French President Emmanuel Macron quickly disputed Trump's claim that NATO allies had agreed to boost defense spending beyond their existing goal of 2 percent of gross domestic product.

• Fact check: Trump's claims on NATO spending
Trump had spent his time in Brussels berating members of the military alliance for failing to spend enough of their money on defense, accusing Europe of freeloading off the U.S. and raising doubts about whether he would come to members' defense if they were attacked.

Trump said he made his anger clear to allies on Wednesday.

"Yesterday I let them know that I was extremely unhappy with what was happening," Trump said, adding that, in response, European countries agreed to up their spending.

"They have substantially upped their commitment and now we're very happy and have a very, very powerful, very, very strong NATO," he said.

Painting a rosy portrait before he left Brussels, Trump added: "I can you tell you that NATO now is a really a fine-tuned machine. People are paying money that they never paid before. They're happy to do it. And the United States is being treated much more fairly.

With that, Trump moved on to the United Kingdom, where significant protests against him were expected. Although Trump administration officials point to the longstanding alliance between the United States and the United Kingdom, Trump's itinerary in England will largely keep him out of central London, the center of the protests.

[...]

"President Trump never at any moment, either in public or in private, threatened to withdraw from NATO," Macron said.

Still, Trump confirmed the fears of NATO officials and allies as he sent the carefully orchestrated summit into chaos. On Thursday, Trump arrived late to the official meetings, missed scheduled sit-downs with two allies on the margins of the summit, and skipped part of a session on the NATO mission in Afghanistan to hold the impromptu news conference.

Trump had taken an aggressive tone during the summit, questioning the value of an alliance that has defined decades of American foreign policy, torching an ally and proposing a massive increase in European defense spending.

Earlier Thursday, Trump called out U.S. allies on Twitter, saying, "Presidents have been trying unsuccessfully for years to get Germany and other rich NATO Nations to pay more toward their protection from Russia."

He complained the United States "pays tens of Billions of Dollars too much to subsidize Europe" and demanded that member nations reach their goal to spend 2 percent of GDP on defense, which "must ultimately go to 4%!"

Under fire for his warm embrace of Russia's Vladimir Putin, Trump on Wednesday also turned a harsh spotlight on Germany's own ties to Russia, alleging that a natural gas pipeline venture with Moscow has left Angela Merkel's government "totally controlled" and "captive" to Russia.

He continued the attack Thursday, complaining that "Germany just started paying Russia, the country they want protection from, Billions of Dollars for their Energy needs coming out of a new pipeline from Russia."

"Not acceptable!" he railed before arriving late at NATO headquarters for morning meetings with the leaders of Azerbaijan, Romania, Ukraine and Georgia.

During the trip, Trump questioned the necessity of the alliance that formed a bulwark against Soviet aggression, tweeting after a day of contentious meetings: "What good is NATO if Germany is paying Russia billions of dollars for gas and energy?"

Merkel, who grew up in communist East Germany, shot back that she had "experienced myself a part of Germany controlled by the Soviet Union, and I'm very happy today that we are united in freedom as the Federal Republic of Germany and can thus say that we can determine our own policies and make our own decisions and that's very good."

[...]

Edited by william.scherk
MPR link for AP story at bottom

Re Jordan and the blob ...

17 hours ago, william.scherk said:

How do all these, witnesses, non-witnesses, non-complainants,  non-witnesses, team-participants establish the truth of their testimonials? If the stories of abuse are true (good old doc killed himself, if that is a data point), can the perception of being ignored by those who should have looked out for you grow past the point of 'feeling' into knowing?

Edited by william.scherk
Twitter for Android link putzed

So, this morning I was jumping around the dial, and I briefly stopped at NPR again.

It was David Greene going deep into substance with guest expert Masha Gessen on the upcoming Trump/Puting meeting, but it wasn't at all about the meeting, but about Masha's personal hatred of Trump, her view that he is a habitual liar (unlike any other politician ever), and that he loves, adores, worships Putin. Putin is "clearly one of Trump's favorite people in the world."

Narrative™, not news. Subjective little feelings and imagining the ability to be inside Otherses™ evil minds, not real journalism. And NPR felt that this was worthy of coverage.

J

#msmclownshow, #activistmediashitshow, #leftydumpsterfire

Masha Gessen On Trump-Putin Meeting

1 hour ago, william.scherk said:

[Masha Gessen] On Trump-Putin Meeting

Voicebase-rendered text in full (three and a half minutes, 692 words), lightly edited for clarity, punctuation, paragraphs, emphases added. It goes a bit wonky here and there:

We're following President Trump's very busy day today he's going to be meeting with Britain's prime minister Theresa May this morning outside London he's also going to be having tea with Queen Elizabeth and then he's heading to Scotland to visit his golf resort he's also going to be getting ready for a big meeting on Monday that is when the president heads to Finland to sit down with Russia's president Vladimir Putin. They are expected to have a private meeting and that fact has been making some Western policymakers a bit uneasy to talk about this meeting we have much a guess and on the line with us she is a Russian born journalist who writes for The New Yorker and she has been very critical of both of these leaders Vladimir Putin and Donald Trump my guess and welcome back to the program thank you good to be here well so what are you expecting from this meeting in Helsinki between the leaders of Russia and the United States?

well you know it's hard to make predictions about what two people who are basically habitual liars and that's the most important thing we can say about them at this point can say something that happened between them in private from what I understand it's not at all unheard of for two leaders to meet in private before a summit the problem with this meeting is that we will really really never know what happened it's wow that's pretty strong language magazine it's worth saying there a lot of people in the United States who don't see Donald Trump as an  habitual liar and who are big fans of his what worries you the most in terms of what might be said or agreed upon in this meeting that you're suggesting we might never know about.

I must not terribly worried about this I'm actually more worried about the very fact sort of you know one of the final nails in the coffin of transparency and accountability.

Actually I'm convinced that the things that ought to be brought up in the meeting are not going to be brought up it sounds like it but you don't think Putin needs to get anything out of this meeting so what would make this a success for him? oh just the fact of the meeting the fact of what's happening legitimizes Putin legitimizes his war in Ukraine legitimizes his war in Syria and positions him once again sort of as one of the leaders of what he imagines to be potentially the bipolar world

Do you think Masha Gessen that Putin has managed to convince President Trump that there really were no Russian attempts to meddle in the United States election twenty sixteen? I don't imagine that Donald Trump took a lot of convincing, I think that at this point he is more invested in the narrative that there was no Russian interference in the election than Putin is.

Even though U.S. intelligence agencies I mean have come to the clear conclusion there was Russian meddling I mean couldn't Donald Trump be saying that you know sort of framing his argument in a way but you're saying that he actually really might believe Vladimir Putin when he makes his argument.

I think that Donald Trump you know again Putin is clearly one of his favorite people in the world I mean I think that his clear affinity for Putin is probably an expression of sincere admiration sincere feeling. Putin is the kind of leader that Trump envisions himself being. And I think that he would like to believe that his electoral victory was his alone and that anything that comes out of Vladimir Putin's mouth is is the God awful truth.

Masha Gessen is the author of The Future is history how totalitarianism reclaimed Russia, and she joins us this morning as the leaders of Russia and the United States get ready to meet in Helsinki on Monday I guess and always nice having you thank you thank you for having me.

Gessen is also the author of a 2012 book on Putin's rise "The Man Without a Face."

President-Vladimir-Putin--007.jpg?w=620&

5 minutes ago, william.scherk said:

Voicebase-rendered text in full (three and a half minutes, 692 words), lightly edited for clarity, punctuation, paragraphs, emphases added. It goes a bit wonky here and there:

Gessen is also the author of a 2012 book on Putin's rise "The Man Without a Face."

President-Vladimir-Putin--007.jpg?w=620&

Yes, that's it. Agenda, Narrative™, feelings, biases, straw men. Assigning positions and psychologies to Them Others™.

Fake news. Activism presented as journalism. Childish emotionalism treated as being worthy of national broadcast coverage.

J