Reputation and Reactions

It's OK to denigrate a guy by calling him a bitch, but don't let a woman hear you calling another woman a bitch. They get angry.

I remember hearing an old MTV video by Rob Zombi? and he was singing about "the bitches in the ditches," which I think was referring to innocent females slain and tossed onto the side of the road. I said, you know that song is kind of cool and funny. You should have heard the boos and hisses from the women present.       

• Thanks 1

• 2 months later...
On 4/19/2018 at 3:48 PM, Michael Stuart Kelly said:

We now have reputation!

You can like posts.

There are five options: Like, Thanks, Haha, Confused, Sad.

Like, Thanks and Haha give the poster one point.

Confused and sad give no points and do not remove points.

There are no negative points and there is no way to remove points.

Enjoy.

This leader board page lets you slice up results of all the sad, confused thank-you ha-ha likes. Kinda fun to see what is what. Click the image and go there, or if you are paranoid, click this: http://www.objectivistliving.com/forums/leaderboard/  If I am not mistaken you can change your impressions from sad to confused and back again.

goldsilverbronze.png

Edited by william.scherk
Added href to img

Update.

As you know, people are allowed to react to posts with Like, Thanks, Haha, Confused, Sad.

The Haha reaction has been abused by one member to mean something it was not intended for--to signify consistent mockery of another poster(s). I have even done that myself (to him) in retaliation during bickering. (Not my finest moments, I admit. :) ) I had to moderate this member recently, but for some reason, the software allowed him to continue reacting to posts of others at will. 

So I went into the Administrator Panel to see how to fix this. (I am pretty sure it is fixed now.)

One good result is that the Haha reaction can go back to meaning a reaction to something funny like a joke or quip or clever remark, etc. Or it can mean the mocking kind of laughter, but for mocking someone or something in the news, or the past, or elsewhere, etc. Not mocking other posters to humiliate them. I think it will take a little time for everyone to get used to this original meaning because of the sheer number of times the Haha reaction was used to mock other posters. People are people, though, and I am sure it will settle before too long. 

(As a weird irony, every time a poster was mocked with this reaction, it added to his or her reputation by adding a point. The forum was programmed to treat this as a positive reaction. I haven't enabled display of reputation points so far because gamification functions like that really distract from discussing ideas. Later, maybe we can experiment with this and see what happens.)

But there is another good result from pouring over the Administrator Panel. I found something gamified I think will be good for OL.

There is an Upvote and Downvote button that can be included with reactions. I added the Upvote button as an option. This only rates posts, so it will be a form of signaling to readers which posts are being considered as important by posters and members. In other words, if a post has a lot of upvotes, that means OL people find it important.

Once the number of active posters grows (when I finally decide to ramp things up traffic-wise), I will add the Downvote button. I won't add it now because, with the number of regular posters at the present, it would be easy for one or two members to hog public perception on the forum--meaning make it appear like a view held by few is the predominant view of everybody. I removed Topic star ratings a while back because of this. Once a large number of people are posting and reacting, hogging like that will be impossible, so I will add that function back. And that time might be the best for displaying reputation points.

For now, the Haha function can go back to its normal meaning and there is now an Upvote alternative in the reaction icons.

That's the update.

Enjoy the change for now.

I know I will.

:) 

Michael

• Thanks 1

Oops.

I think I may have fixed it myself just now since I checked what I did before making the ticket and saw a place where I goofed.

(I thought I put in a condition and the software created a "Secondary Group" category and put my condition there, while keeping the "Primary Group" active. Now both Primary Group and Secondary Group are the same.)

Let's see if that works. If it doesn't, I will make a support ticket.

Michael

• 3 weeks later...
On 8/23/2020 at 3:11 PM, Michael Stuart Kelly said:

As you know, people are allowed to react to posts with Like, Thanks, Haha, Confused, Sad.

The Haha reaction has been abused by one member to mean something it was not intended for--to signify consistent mockery of another poster(s). 

. . .

Once the number of active posters grows (when I finally decide to ramp things up traffic-wise), I will add the Downvote button. I won't add it now because, with the number of regular posters at the present, it would be easy for one or two members to hog public perception on the forum--meaning make it appear like a view held by few is the predominant view of everybody. I removed Topic star ratings a while back because of this. Once a large number of people are posting and reacting, hogging like that will be impossible, so I will add that function back. And that time might be the best for displaying reputation points.

There are a few new changes.

The Haha, Confused, and Sad reactions are no longer available.

The Confused and Sad reactions are being abused for heckling and trolling, and since they will not longer be there, I am pretty sure the Haha reaction will take their place by those who wish to heckle and troll. So it has to go, too.

With a large number of active posters, the impact of petty negative personal garbage will become so diminished, it will no longer denigrate the environment of the forum. But for now, these negative reactions are simply an easy manner for one or two posters to irritate others in large numbers of posts without adding any intellectual content. So, in this context, it is better to not have them.

Trolls are gonna troll, and hecklers are gonna heckle, but now, at the minimum, they have to make a post. They can no longer stick their tongue out at someone else's post on that someone else's post. Now they have to take the effort to write their their own post to troll and heckle.

Later, when the number of active posters gets larger, I will add these reactions back along with downvote, display of reputation, and star ratings of threads.

I apologize for doing this to those who want to use these eliminated reactions for non-trolling reasons. That's all I can think of right now to cut down on heckling without going full-on control-freak.

Unfortunately, an unintended consequence of this--due to the forum software--is that negative reactions already posted disappear. I did not go through posts and remove them and I am sure they are still in the database. They are no longer on the posts where they were made because that's the way the software works. Later, when I restore negative reactions for posting, I am sure they will reappear.

(Man, I hate this crap.)

On the bright side, for those who notice such things, notice that the only reactions and voting left are positive. That's the direction I want for OL rather than constant bickering over nothing. The idea is ideas. Even when politics are thrown in. Philosophy forum and all...

I believe most posters and readers want this, too.

Michael

• Like 2

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Here is a tip for reactions within posts (emojis).

As people have to know, I am a big fan of the smiley.

:)

How I produce that is by typing in a colon and an end parenthesis and hitting the space bar or enter: ":)" (without the quotes).

I also do evil like this: ":evil:" (without the quotes).

(Note, sometimes, this doesn't work, so I just post it. The emoji isn't there. Then edit the post and do the emojis over, making sure the emojis appear before posting the edit. That always works.)

I discovered that IPB has hooked up with Twemoji, which Twitter made open source (see here). So when you type in the colon and part of a word, a whole bunch of emojis pop up to use.

For example, I typed in (without the quotes) ":lau"

... it gave me several options of laughing emojis. One of them showed the emoji and the code (without the quotes) ":Rolling On The Floor Laughing:" - and then I selected it.

However, I just tried the code by itself, and that doesn't work. Using the way I mentioned did. And here is what it looks like:

🤣 

There are thousands of emojis that represent all kinds of things.

Note, sometimes it is sticky and hangs for the group of emojis to appear after a colon and partial word, so you have to fuss with it a bit.

Enjoy.

Michael

Emojis!

2 hours ago, Michael Stuart Kelly said:

Here is a tip for reactions within posts (emojis).

I've use a couple of emoji-laden sites for my web projects (each 'official' emoji has an HTML code). This one is a copy-paste wonderland:

😍iEmoji.com - 👀Lookup, ✨Convert, and Get Emoji! 🔥

🤯 👁 🧛‍♀️ 🤖 🤡 🧦 🙈