Black Panther - How did this happen?

I haven't seen Black Panther yet, but my stepson Sean did. He's a huge Marvel superhero fan.

He loved it. Since he is semi-autistic, things like racism confuse him. I noticed in his comments about the movie, he didn't talk about race. Yet that's all they talked about in the marketing hoopla before the film What happened? Well, OK... That's Sean.

But then I started seeing some other things. For example, John Nolte wrote the following review at Breitbart:

‘Black Panther’ Review: The Movie’s Hero is Trump, the Villain is Black Lives Matter

:)

Nolte did some follow-up articles on Black Panther, see here and here.

Looks like Hollywood, for all it's virtue signaling, found a sneaky way to appeal to Trump supporters. I'm serious. People who identify with President Trump had greatly diminished their presence at the theaters. Yet they turned out in droves to see Black Panther. Of course, the intelligentsia in Hollywood are giving birth to a cow over Nolte's observation, but the truth is, money moves Hollywood, not virtue or political agenda. 

Still, many lefties are in powerful positions. And they are not stupid people. So how did these Hollywood lefties allow this "on the nose" level of metaphorical fit to happen in a movie about black people with an all black cast?

I think there's a dirty little secret they don't talk about but all bow down to. The intelligentsia can sneak in their leftie agenda and propaganda so long as the movies make money. When they stop making money, the Hollywood suits look at what normal paying folks believe and serve up entertainment geared to that profile. And with this project, they covertly made an appeal to woo back Trump supporters.

I stand in awe that they made a black dude in a black movie a symbolic President Trump and a black villain in a black movie a symbolic Black Lives Matter, but there it is. And it worked. The money doesn't lie.

Nolte is not the only one who sees this. Ms. Candace Owens (Red Pill Black) noticed, although she focused on the immigrant angle and keeping grievance movements out of the hidden land.

This President Trump metaphor connection with Black Panther is going to turn into a thing in our culture. It really is. Then the intelligentsia will start giving birth to whales, not just cows.

Andrew Breitbart always said politics is downstream from culture. It looks like culture has run downstream from politics this go around.

Michael

• 2 months later...

I saw the movie and think it's a pretty big stretch to say the hero was like Trump or the villain was like a member of BLM.  This interpretation reminds me of when Rush Limbaugh said The Dark Knight Rises villian Bain was an attack on Mitt Romney's company.

On 2/22/2018 at 7:31 PM, Michael Stuart Kelly said:

I haven't seen Black Panther yet, but my stepson Sean did. He's a huge Marvel superhero fan.

He loved it. Since he is semi-autistic, things like racism confuse him. I noticed in his comments about the movie, he didn't talk about race. Yet that's all they talked about in the marketing hoopla before the film What happened? Well, OK... That's Sean.

But then I started seeing some other things. For example, John Nolte wrote the following review at Breitbart:

‘Black Panther’ Review: The Movie’s Hero is Trump, the Villain is Black Lives Matter

Nolte did some follow-up articles on Black Panther, see here and here.

Looks like Hollywood, for all it's virtue signaling, found a sneaky way to appeal to Trump supporters. I'm serious. People who identify with President Trump had greatly diminished their presence at the theaters. Yet they turned out in droves to see Black Panther. Of course, the intelligentsia in Hollywood are giving birth to a cow over Nolte's observation, but the truth is, money moves Hollywood, not virtue or political agenda. 

Still, many lefties are in powerful positions. And they are not stupid people. So how did these Hollywood lefties allow this "on the nose" level of metaphorical fit to happen in a movie about black people with an all black cast?

I think there's a dirty little secret they don't talk about but all bow down to. The intelligentsia can sneak in their leftie agenda and propaganda so long as the movies make money. When they stop making money, the Hollywood suits look at what normal paying folks believe and serve up entertainment geared to that profile. And with this project, they covertly made an appeal to woo back Trump supporters.

I stand in awe that they made a black dude in a black movie a symbolic President Trump and a black villain in a black movie a symbolic Black Lives Matter, but there it is. And it worked. The money doesn't lie.

Nolte is not the only one who sees this. Ms. Candace Owens (Red Pill Black) noticed, although she focused on the immigrant angle and keeping grievance movements out of the hidden land.

This President Trump metaphor connection with Black Panther is going to turn into a thing in our culture. It really is. Then the intelligentsia will start giving birth to whales, not just cows.

Andrew Breitbart always said politics is downstream from culture. It looks like culture has run downstream from politics this go around.

Michael

Michael,  you have been pretty earnest lately, and put up with my frivolity as you always have,. But what with the sad and bad news lately, personally and generally, I have to say that inadvertently,  you have given me a moment of pure joy laughter.  I know nothing about the Black Panther movie, or the merits of Breitbart and Owens as film critics., buit the very thought of Trump as any kind of black panther, 1970s styled with Afro, or au naturel in the jungle while the lion sleeps tonight, is so irresistibly hilarious you should put it in Humour until your prediction comes true.

I tried to copy this but it took several tries and the copy may be mashed up a bit. I put some leftists at the bottom of the heap. Some of the conservatives were quite a surprise to me.

Peter

25 Conservatives In Modern Hollywood By Chris Agee March 14, 2014 at 5:41pm. There was once a time in film history during which patriotism was the norm. Whether an actor suspended a lucrative career to join the military or a producer backed a project that reflected traditional values, it was not uncommon for Hollywood and mainstream American culture to overlap. Few in today’s entertainment industry would declare, as John Wayne did, “Sure I love my country with all her faults. I’m not ashamed of that, never have been, never will be.” Even those who subscribed to a radical leftist worldview realized espousing such beliefs publicly would be professionally detrimental. As our society has lurched leftward, however, Hollywood has remained ahead of the curve. It is now not uncommon to hear prominent actors spew reprehensible partisan tripe only to see their popularity soar. Those in that industry who dare buck the trend and show any conservative leanings whatsoever are roundly vilified, discouraging many from making even the most superficial of political comments. Thankfully, there are several who literally risk their careers to speak out against the stranglehold leftism currently has in Hollywood. The following list includes a number of unabashed conservatives among others who, while they might not completely reflect rightwing ideology, have a healthy respect for America’s founding principles. In no particular order, these prominent stars have made it clear that they do not walk in lockstep with the leftist drones that constantly surround them.

25. Shannen Doherty This Beverly Hills 90210 alum has gone on to earn recognition for her starring role in Charmed. Though the characters have not always embodied a conservative role model, Doherty has made numerous references to her own beliefs. “I realize that the majority of people in the entertainment business happen to be Democrats,” she once confirmed. “I have no problem with that. And they should have no problem with the fact that I’m a Republican.” She has also referred to herself as an “avid supporter of Ronald Reagan,” a man she described as “fabulous.”

24. Drew Carey A comedian and actor who succeeded Bob Barker as the host of The Price is Right in 2007 proudly considers himself a libertarian who puts a high value on personal liberty. In one interview, he shared his view that conservatives in Hollywood face a steep uphill battle while one can “pretty much get away with being a libertarian.” RELATED: Tim Allen Has Special Message for Fans After Fox Announces Renewal of ‘Last Man Standing’ Though he said colleagues apparently see a big difference between the two ideologies, Carey described libertarians as “conservatives that still get high.”

23. Stacy Dash During the 2012 election cycle, perhaps no entertainer received harsher criticism for an endorsement than the stunning actress best known for her role in the 1995 film Clueless. When Dash expressed her support for Republican candidate Mitt Romney, the black actress was pilloried by her own community – and leftists in general. In her initial Twitter post, she called Romney the “only choice for your future,” later responding to criticism with a lengthy essay defending her position.

22. Dwayne “The Rock” Johnson A former pro wrestler who transitioned remarkably well into the world of acting, Johnson is a registered Republican who was a performer at the 2000 Republican National Convention. When his acting career is over, he has expressed an interest in following Ronald Reagan’s footsteps by seeking elected office.

21. Robert Downey Jr. Perhaps no male actor is a hotter commodity in Hollywood today than reformed partier Robert Downey Jr. While he might not fit the traditional conservative mold, he has publicly made unequivocal endorsements of certain values those on the right hold dear. In a 2009 interview, he alluded to his own criminal history as the catalyst to his embrace of certain conservative ideals.

20. Stephen Baldwin Few celebrities are as willing to discuss their Christian and conservative views more frankly than this Baldwin brother. What makes his advocacy even more astounding is that he shares the same roots as his ultra-leftist brother, Alec. The youngest of four brothers who have each had varying degrees of Hollywood success, Stephen has shied away from his political activism in recent years to avoid a conflict with his ongoing Christian ministry. Nevertheless, he has a well-documented history of supporting traditional conservative values – and there is no sign of any change on that front.

19. Jerry Bruckheimer Moving to those who work behind the camera, there are several prominent producers who subscribe to a more conservative worldview. One of the most successful in all of Hollywood, Jerry Bruckheimer, has occasionally revealed his political leanings by supporting Republican candidates and opening up during candid interviews. Speaking to Fox News host Sean Hannity, he contradicted some other celebrity accounts, explaining he has never felt ostracized because of his personal views. “It is always about the work,” he said, “and if you do good work, people will honor you and work with you again. It is never about your politics.”

18. Gerald Molen Another top-tier producer, Molen has enthusiastically embraced his conservatism late in his career. After producing films from “Schindler’s List” to “Jurassic Park,” he teamed up with rightwing author Dinesh D’Souza to bring “2016: Obama’s America” to theaters across America. As for his reception in Hollywood and beyond, Molen has admitted he has faced some ideologically based criticism. In 2012, he said he was prohibited from delivering an “apolitical” graduation speech because the principal did not approve of his He once contrasted today’s Hollywood with the environment of his early career. “Today, those on the right have a tendency to hide their politics because the left is vindictive,” he concluded.

17. Melissa Joan Hart One of the few child stars who avoided many of the pitfalls of early fame, Melissa Joan Hart gained a loyal following through work as the title character in “Clarissa Explains it All” and “Sabrina the Teenage Witch.” As an adult, she has remained in the public eye as an actress and author; however, when she recently outed herself as a conservative, she earned the wrath of countless leftists – including many former fans. “I got called every name in the book,” she said of the response to her tweet in support of presidential candidate Mitt Romney.

16. Kelsey Grammer An actor best known for his decades-long portrayal of psychiatrist Frasier Crane, Grammer has been open about his political leanings since publicly endorsing New York Mayor Rudy Giuliani in 2004. He has since been integral in the development of RightNetwork, an entertainment company aimed at a conservative audience. As for his reception by the leftist elite, Grammer suggested the reason he wasn’t nominated for an Academy Award for his latest work on the drama “Boss” might have to do with the fact that he is a “declared out-of-the-closet Republican in Hollywood.”

15. Victoria Jackson Best known for her work on Saturday Night Live, Jackson is one of several cast members who have since expressed a conservative proclivity. While she still tackles issues from a comedic standpoint, she has become one of the right’s most politically active celebrities. She has expressed a desire to run for elected office and expressed support for GOP presidential hopefuls Rick Santorum and Michele Bachmann. Jackson describes her personal values as “pro-life, less government, strong military.”

14. Jon Lovitz Another SNL alum, Lovitz was a latecomer to the conservative cause. In fact, the registered Democrat has never described himself as such. After harshly criticizing the Obama administration’s confiscatory tax policy, though, he received an onslaught of vitriol from leftists of all stripes. In a subsequent interview, Lovitz said his tirade actually garnered some additional job opportunities. “I’m getting book offers, I’m getting other TV offers, I’m getting movie offers,” he said. “There’s been no backlash because what I said is true.”

13. Dennis Miller Miller’s stint on SNL was largely contained to his duties as host of the mock news sketch “Weekend Update.” Perhaps the gig was prophetic, because he has gone on to become one of America’s foremost conservative talk show hosts in recent years. While he approaches issues on a case-by-case basis, the former liberal now generally sees the world in a more conservative context. His frequent guest spots on Fox News’ “The O’Reilly Factor” have given Miller an even wider audience as a political pundit.

12. Rob Schneider In much the same manner of Lovitz’s ideological shift, the personal effects of leftism caused Schneider to renounce his former political affiliation. He portrayed a number of classic characters as an SNL cast member and parlayed his success into a movie career including a starring role in the “Deuce Bigalow” franchise. He has made headlines most recently, however, as a fierce critic of California’s Democrat supermajority, blaming the one-party rule for many of Hollywood’s ills. “I’ve been a lifelong Democrat and I have to switch over because it no longer serves the people of this great state,” he confirmed. Schneider also expressed admiration for Texas Gov. Rick Perry’s effort to attract California businesses willing to relocate to a more hospitable environment.

11. Adam Sandler The final SNL funnyman to make the list has a long line of hit movies under his belt. The registered Republican has not overtly discussed his political views; however, he was a performer at the 2004 Republican National Convention and supported Rudy Giuliani’s 2008 presidential bid.

10. Patricia Heaton Perhaps best known for her portrayal of Debra Barone in the hit comedy series “Everybody Loves Raymond,” Heaton has used Twitter and other public forums to express her views as both a conservative and Christian. Deeply committed to the pro-life cause, she is involved in a number of campaigns dedicated to curtailing abortion in the U.S. She even got involved in the Rush Limbaugh-Sandra Fluke debate, initially standing beside Limbaugh in lambasting the left’s obsession with consequence-free sex. Though she ultimately apologized for her strongly worded rebuke, she said she was sorry only that she “was not showing Christ’s love.”

Angie Harmon Known for her leading roles in dramas such as “Law and Order” and “Rizzoli and Isles,” Harmon received serious backlash when she honestly answered an interviewer’s question regarding her political leanings.

“The fact that it was turned into that I was a gay-hating racist was just heartbreaking,” she admitted. The criticism did not dissuade her from tackling Barack Obama’s failures in the White House, though. “If I’m going to disagree with my president, that doesn’t make me racist,” she told her critics. “If I’m going to disagree with my president, that doesn’t make me racist,” she told her critics. Furthermore, Harmon actually revealed she is an admirer of the left’s most hated woman, Sarah Palin. “People cannot look at this woman,” she lamented. “I really think they’re afraid of her and her morals, ethics and values and th8.

Gary Sinise Using his talents and fame as both an actor and musician, the star of “Forrest Gump” and “CSI: NY” has been a tireless supporter of the U.S. military since the terrorist attacks of Sept. 11, 2001. While he hasn’t been one to explicitly state his political views, his dedication to giving back to the brave men and women in the armed forces through his involvement in organizations such as the Gary Sinise Foundation and Building for America’s Bravest. Though not limited to conservatives, or even Republicans, Sinise helped establish a group of Hollywood stars known as “Friends of Abe,” which reportedly meets socially to discuss issues the leftist-dominated industry would generally disdain.

7. Tom Selleck Recognized for his iconic portrayal of the titular character in the 1980’s hit “Magnum, P.I.,” Selleck has become an international star of film and television in the decades since. He currently stars in one of the most conservative-friendly dramas on television, “Blue Bloods,” in which he plays the patriarch of a family of cops – appropriately surnamed Reagan. A consistent proponent of Second Amendment rights and other conservative ideals, he once opined that “I don’t know if my political opinions ever lost me work, but I know for sure they never got me any.”

6. Jami Gertz A popular actress who appeared in a number of films during the 1980s, Gertz resurfaced as a comedic television star with leading roles in “Still Standing” and “The Neighbors.” While she isn’t as outspoken as some of this list’s entries, she has been a frequent contributor to Republican campaigns. In fact, she supported conservative Tim Pawlenty’s presidential bid with a donation of $7,500 – a contribution that was ultimately returned due to the fact it exceeded legal limits.

5. Mindy Kaling The successful writer and actress who earned her own program after years of work in front of the cameras and behind the scenes of “The Office,” Kaling has remained coy about her political preferences. When an article described her as a Republican, she shot back, denying the claim. Nevertheless, she declared her show, “The Mindy Kaling Project,” was designed to be a platform for her to express her personal views. In the program – and in reality – she has expressed a pro-gun stance and, according to one colleague, “she was at least thinking about voting for Bush” in the 2004 presidential election.

4. James Woods Few in Hollywood have voiced their disapproval of Obama as bluntly as Woods. The acclaimed actor said he believes his principled views will perhaps force his retirement from the industry. “I don’t expect to work again,” he said before calling Obama “a threat to the integrity and future of the Republic.” Woods previously referred to him as a “gift from hell.”

3. Bruce Willis Though he unequivocally denies being a Republican, the unmistakable star of the “Die Hard” franchise and many other action flicks says it is only because he despises both parties. In an ideological sense, he has frequently endorsed rightwing ideals. “I’m a Republican only as far as I want smaller government,” he once affirmed, “want less government intrusion.” He has spoken out against gun control efforts and France’s 75 percent income tax on the rich.

2. Jon Voight This critically acclaimed star of numerous hit films is also the father of actress Angelina Jolie. Prior to his daughter’s birth, he was a self-proclaimed leftist who spent time surrounded by Marxists and communists. By the end of the Vietnam War, however, his ideology began to shift rightward. “I saw us pull out; and then I saw the communists move in and slaughter two and a half million people in South Vietnam and Cambodia,” he recalled. “And I saw the left had precipitated this turn away, just walk away from it.” Still, his old beliefs died hard and it wasn’t until the terrorist attacks of 9/11 that his transformation was complete. Now, Voight is a vocal opponent of Barack Obama’s disastrous leftist policies. “This man … has not only set himself to redistribute the wealth of the middle class,” he complained, “he also is set to take over, control the industrial wealth of the country with banks and with … the major corporations, with foreign companies.” He is also a critic of modern Hollywood, which he concedes “has become a bunch of wimps.”

1. Vince Vaughn The hardworking funnyman known for hit movies like “Wedding Crashers” and “Old School” is serious when it comes to his political alignment. In late 2013, he ‘came out’ as a proud supporter of Ron Paul and traditional conservative values. He concluded that “as you get older, you just get less trust in the government running anything.” According to Vaughn, he began “to realize when you really go back and look at the Constitution and the principles of liberty, the real purpose of government is to protect the individual’s right to sort of think and pursue what they have interest in.”

Top 10 Most Obnoxious Hollywood Liberals Human Events | Saturday May 14, 2011 3:01 AM

Hollywood stars invariably get involved in the political debate from the left side of the spectrum.  What better way to draw attention to themselves than to testify before Congress about the latest threat to humanity, even if their cause is laughable.  It was hard to narrow it down to only 10, but here are the Top 10 Most Obnoxious Hollywood Liberals.

1.  Sean Penn:  The two-time Academy Award winner has traveled the world to denounce the country that made him rich and famous.  He has been used as a propaganda tool by the Iranian regime, met with Cuban President Raul Castro, and went to Iraq as an antiwar activist.  Penn is so close to Venezuelan strongman Hugo Chavez that the tyrant, in one of his televised speeches, read an open letter Penn wrote to Bush, condemning the Iraq War, calling for the President’s impeachment and saying that Bush, Dick Cheney and Condoleezza Rice were “villainously and criminally obscene people.”

2.  Michael Moore:  The portly director made hundreds of millions of dollars off of the highly fictional Fahrenheit 9/11, a “documentary” that alleged close links between the Bush clan and Osama bin Laden’s family.  Recently he said that private wealth is a “national resource” that belongs to all the people and called for jailing the rich.  Then he called bin Laden’s death an “execution.”  For a man who made a fortune exploiting 9/11, denouncing wealth, and the action against the al-Qaeda leader, is beyond disingenuous.

3.  Danny Glover:  Lethal Weapon star Danny Glover was a campus radical as a student at San Francisco State University and has been an advocate for left-wing causes ever since.  He chums around with the likes of Hugo Chavez, is a union rabble-rouser and said the Bush administration was composed of “liars and murderers.”  After the 2010 Haiti earthquake, Glover was quick to blame the tragedy on global warming.

4.  Barbra Streisand:  From her appearance on President Nixon’s “enemies list” to her singing performance at a fund-raising gala for Barack Obama, Barbra Streisand has a long history of political involvement.  Most notable is her bankrolling of left-wing causes, with the Streisand Foundation steering millions to groups promoting every liberal fantasy.  Among her favorite causes are women’s issues, nuclear disarmament and the environment.  She even donated $1 million to the William Jefferson Clinton Foundation to help solve global warming.

5.  Jane Fonda:  “Hanoi Jane” deserves a lifetime achievement award for left-wing activism.  Between her anti-American radio broadcasts from North Vietnam and appearing at anti-Iraq War rallies, Fonda demonstrated against Israel’s “occupation” of the West Bank and supported feminist causes, speaking out against patriarchy.  This is someone who once said, “I would think that if you understood what communism was, you would hope, you would pray on your knees, that we would someday become Communists.”

6.  Alec Baldwin:  “30 Rock” star Alec Baldwin is an animal-rights advocate, a strong supporter of People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals (PETA) and serves on the board of the left-wing People for the American Way.  During the Clinton impeachment, Baldwin publicly fantasized about murdering Rep. Henry Hyde and his family.  If he had only followed through on his threat to leave the country when Bush was reelected.

7.  Susan Sarandon:  From supporting the Nicaraguan Sandinistas in the 1980s to speaking at a pro-union rally in Wisconsin this year, film star Susan Sarandon is still plugging progressive positions, although no longer with her former longtime companion and political fellow traveler Tim Robbins.  She was an anti-Iraq War activist, protesting the Bush administration with the likes of Jane Fonda and Cindy Sheehan, and is a major donor to the feminist group EMILY’s List.

8.  Janeane Garofalo:  This B-list actress and Air America refugee has taken left-wing hate speech to a new level with her rhetorical blasts aimed at the Tea Party.  Here is a sample of her rants:  “It’s about hating a black man in the White House.  That is racism straight up.  This is nothing but a bunch of tea-bagging rednecks,” and, “The functionally retarded adults, the racists—with their cries of, ‘I want my country back.’  What they’re really saying is, ‘I want my white guy back.’ ”

9.  Joy Behar:  While on “The View,” Joy Behar said there are ways to get information from terrorists other than tough interrogation methods such as waterboarding.  “There are other ways of getting information out of people … pay them off,” Behar said, while suggesting offering a terrorist a “$6 million book deal.”  This is the same brainiac who once said, “It is really not easy to make fun of the Obamas, because they’re kind of really perfect, aren’t they?”

10.  The Sheens:  This father/son duo deserves a mention.  Martin Sheen played the liberal’s dream President in “West Wing,” and has embraced every left-wing cause, from antiwar and farm-worker activism to protecting seals by attacking fur traders.  His son, Charlie Sheen, was an outspoken Truther, alleging that 9/11 was an inside job, before he became a traveling carnival act with his Tiger Blood and “Torpedo of Truth” tour.

• 2 months later...
  • 10 months later...

Hmmm? Where do I put this? Here in black panther country though I never saw it. Spoiler alert! “Amos and Andy” was a hit TV show in Australia! Just joking. No, it’s actually true. I remember watching “Amos and Andy” when I was a kid only 3 or 4 years old, and my Mom insisted I stop speaking like the characters when we were in public. “Yas, Amos. I’s brought da brown bag wit da ham samuches.” Amos, Andy, Kingfish, Sapphire, and Algonquin J. Calhoun were such great names. But I get "why’s da En double A cee pee” protested its airing.

From Wikipedia . . . . Adapted to television, The Amos 'n Andy Show was produced from June 1951 to April 1953 with 52 filmed episodes, sponsored by the Blatz Brewing Company. The television series used black actors in the main roles, although the actors were instructed to keep their voices and speech patterns close to those of Gosden and Correll. Produced at the Hal Roach Studios for CBS, the show was among the first television series to be filmed with a multicamera setup, four months before I Love Lucy used the technique. The series' theme song was based on radio show's "The Perfect Song" but became Gaetano Braga's "Angel's Serenade", performed by The Jeff Alexander Chorus. The program debuted on June 28, 1951.

. . . . The main roles in the television series were played by the following black actors: Amos JonesAlvin Childress Andrew Hogg Brown (Andy)Spencer Williams George "Kingfish" StevensTim Moore Sapphire StevensErnestine Wade Ramona Smith (Sapphire's Mama)Amanda Randolph Algonquin J. CalhounJohnny Lee Lightnin' Nick Stewart (billed as "Nick O'Demus") Ruby Jones – Jane Adams

. . . .This time, the NAACP mounted a formal protest almost as soon as the television version began, and that pressure was considered a primary factor in the show's cancellation, even though it finished at #13 in the 1951-1952 Nielsen ratings and at #25 in 1952-1953. Blatz was targeted as well, finally discontinuing its advertising support in June 1953. It has been suggested that CBS erred in premiering the show at the same time as the 1951 NAACP national convention, perhaps increasing the objections to it. The show was widely repeated in syndicated reruns until 1966 when, in an unprecedented action for network television at that time, CBS finally gave in to pressure from the NAACP and the growing civil rights movement and withdrew the program. It was also pulled from the Australian Broadcasting Corporation's television network, which had been broadcasting it for almost a decade. The series would not be seen on American television regularly for 46 more years. The television show has been available in bootleg VHS and DVD sets, which generally include up to 74 of the 78 known TV episodes.

• 3 months later...

I re-watched “Forrest Gump” today, “Castaway” last week, and “The Green Mile” tonight, all on TV for free, and almost by accident. Let me check the TV Guide, Babe, to see what’s on. It must be a Tom Hanks summer. Wow. Very enjoyable viewing.   

Forrest Gump: Lieutenant Dan, what are you doing here?

Lieutenant Daniel Taylor: I'm here to try out my sea legs.

Forrest Gump: But you ain't got no legs, Lieutenant Dan.

• 3 weeks later...

Anyone old enough to remember the TV show “The Life of Riley” with William Bendix? Well the first season Riley was played by Jackie Gleason in 1949 and you can see that on You Tube also. It’s like a history lesson to see what Americans were watching way back when.

• 4 months later...

As someone who has seen the movie, it is very much about ideas of identity. They see themselves as Wakandans, first and last, the idea of them being anything else is almost inconceivable.  While the villain sees himself only as an African and he hates the hero because he does not see himself that way.

I especially liked the part where T'Challa had to go to the mountain tribe for help who reluctantly agree. You get the feeling there is a long and troubled history between the two, but in the end they are both Wakandans.