A Rememberence of the Last Generation.

BaalChatzaf

People my age occupied  a special place in American history.  We were the ones born in the late thirties and we are the children of the Greatest Generation,  the men and women who were not raised to be warriors, but who defeated the abominations perpetrated on the world by Nazi Germany and Imperial Japan.   Here is who we were and are.

CHILDREN OF THE GREATEST GENERATION
(and their children - so they will understand)
Born in the 1930s and early 40s, we exist as a very special
age cohort. We are the Silent Generation.
We are the smallest number of children born since the
early 1900s  We are the "last ones."

We are the last generation, climbing out of the depression,
who can remember the winds of war and the impact of a world
at war which rattled the structure of our daily lives for years.
 We are the last to remember ration books for everything
from gas and tires,  to sugar to shoes to stoves.
 We saved tin foil and poured fat into tin cans.
We saw cars up on blocks because tires  weren't available.

We can remember milk being delivered to our house early in the
morning and placed in the “milk box” on the porch.
We are the last to see the gold stars in the front windows of our
grieving neighbors whose sons died in the War.
We saw the 'boys' home from the war, build their little houses.
We are the last generation who spent childhood without
television; instead, we imagined what we heard on the radio.
 As we all like to brag, with no TV, we spent our childhood
"playing outside”.
 We did play outside, and we did play on our own.
 There was no little league.
 There was no city playground for kids.
 The lack of television in our early years meant, for most of
us, that we had little real understanding of what the world was like.
On Saturday afternoons, the movies, gave us newsreels of
the war sandwiched in between westerns and cartoons.

Telephones were one to a house, often shared (party Lines)
and hung on the wall.  Computers were called calculators, they only added and were
hand cranked; typewriters were driven by pounding fingers,
throwing the carriage, and changing the ribbon.
The ‘internet’ and ‘GOOGLE’ were words that did not exist.
Newspapers and magazines were written for adults and the
news was broadcast on our table radio in the evening by
Gabriel Heatter, Drew Pearson  and Elmer Lewis
We are the last group who had to find out for ourselves.
As we grew up, the country was exploding with growth.
The G.I. Bill gave returning veterans the means to get an
education and spurred colleges to grow.
VA loans fanned a housing boom.
Pent up demand coupled with new installment
payment plans put factories to work.
New highways would bring jobs and mobility.
The veterans joined civic clubs and became active in politics.

The radio network expanded from 3 stations to thousands of stations.
Our parents were suddenly free from the confines of the depression
and the war, and they threw themselves into exploring opportunities
they had never imagined.
We weren't neglected, but we weren't today's all-consuming family focus.
They were glad we played by ourselves until the street lights came on.
They were busy discovering the post war world.

We entered a world of overflowing plenty and opportunity; a
world where we were welcomed.
We enjoyed a luxury; we felt secure in our future.
Depression poverty was deep rooted.
Polio was still a crippler.

The Korean War was a dark presage in the early 50s and by
mid-decade school children were ducking under desks for   
Air-Raid training.
Russia built the “Iron Curtain” and  China became Red China .
Eisenhower sent the first 'advisers' to Vietnam.
Castro set up camp in Cuba  and Khrushchev came to power.
We are the last generation to experience an interlude when
there were no threats to our homeland.
We came of age in the 40s and 50s.  The war was over
and the cold war, terrorism, “global warming”, and
perpetual economic insecurity had yet to haunt life with unease.

Only our generation can remember both a time of great
war, and a time when our world was secure and full of bright
promise and plenty.
We have lived through both.
We grew up at the best possible time, a time when
the world was getting better. not worse.
We are the Silent Generation - "The Last Ones"
More than 99 % of us are either retired or deceased, and
we feel privileged to have lived in the Best of Time.

That is who we  were and who we are. 

Bob, that reminds me of a thought I saw recently: "Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. Weak men create hard times". I think there's a general truth here, although a little deterministic and that "strong" men and women are always among us, it's simply they rise to the fore and are more sought out in hard times.

1 hour ago, anthony said:

Bob, that reminds me of a thought I saw recently: "Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. Weak men create hard times". I think there's a general truth here, although a little deterministic and that "strong" men and women are always among us, it's simply they rise to the fore and are more sought out in hard times.

Sounds like "shirt-sleeves to shirt-sleeves in 3 generations".  But more on the Macro level, I suppose. 

On 12/17/2017 at 2:15 PM, BaalChatzaf said:

People my age occupied  a special place in American history.

Bob,

I tried to run down that beautiful quote, but apparently it's something out there all over the Interwebs like a meme.

You are privileged to be a part of that generation--in fact, this is my own parent's generation (they are now deceased).

Feel proud. 

Yours is one of the best generations to ever grace this planet.

Michael

17 hours ago, Michael Stuart Kelly said:

Bob,

I tried to run down that beautiful quote, but apparently it's something out there all over the Interwebs like a meme.

You are privileged to be a part of that generation--in fact, this is my own parent's generation (they are now deceased).

Feel proud. 

Yours is one of the best generations to ever grace this planet.

Michael

It was my Dad and others like him that saved our asses.  We "lasters"  were just the lucky recipients of a benefit.  People my age did not fight in the greatest battle of the 20 th century. But we enjoyed the benefits produced by those who did.  People like me took up the new technologies and grew them  which produced a new world totally different from the world before 1930.  I don't think our political and economic understanding has caught up with the changes yet. I am one of the folks who got us from hand cranked calculator to computers you can carry in you pocket.  I will say this, it is and was quite a trip. My head is still swimming from it.

5 hours ago, BaalChatzaf said:

It was my Dad and others like him that saved our asses.  We "lasters"  were just the lucky recipients of a benefit.  People my age did not fight in the greatest battle of the 20 th century. But we enjoyed the benefits produced by those who did.  People like me took up the new technologies and grew them  which produced a new world totally different from the world before 1930.  I don't think our political and economic understanding has caught up with the changes yet. I am one of the folks who got us from hand cranked calculator to computers you can carry in you pocket.  I will say this, it is and was quite a trip. My head is still swimming from it.

Baal,

Yoda says, "Baal sounds like an Objectivist, he does."

:)

"Save our asses" my ass.

When Germany attacked the USSR it was over for Germany.

We saved England's ass and France's ass. That's about it.

Don't get me wrong; I would have fought in WWII if I had been old enough. It's the male animal in me. "Remember Pearl Harbor!" It doesn't matter if the ""Greatest Generation" should have logically attacked Washington DC instead of Germany and Japan after Pearl Harbor. Men love fighting--or to pretend they are even though they are in the rear manning typewriters. When Japan attacked Pearl Harbor it was committing suicide.

--Brant

WWII was not a close fought thing; it was all over in less than four years--it was another matter for England, but after the Japanese attacked Churchill "slept like a baby" for he knew Germany was finished and that the Japanese "would be ground to dust"

• 1 month later...

Anyone who lived in Hawaii or California, like me in the 50's and 60's, probably remembers signs or monuments at peoples house's, that read "Never Forget." I still have a place of suspicion in my bones for our allies, Japan and Germany. While there will always be dumb stupid barbaric behaving countries, sometimes we also observe evil incarnate as occurred in Nazi Germany.   

No question the Nazis were evil but as far as America is concerned Roosevelt was worse.  He maneuvered Japan into attacking Pearl Harbor while he made sure it was inadequately defended, then used it an excuse to get the U.S. into the war in Europe.  That’s what the Hawaiians should never forget.  There is plenty of literature about this.

What’s up, Mark? Please speak plainly, I have no idea what you are up to.

You seem to have connected Eleanor’s being a witch with the acceptance or not of FDR as having intentionally set the Japanese up to do Pearl Harbor. Is that correct? If so, could you explain?

Sisters of the Eastern Star, practioners of the dark arts, killers of children. You know witches are real, right?

Christ, these discussion groups are a thief of time.  In the literal world literal witches do not exist.  Someone calling FDR satanic and an associate a literal witch is either mocking criticism of FDR or – or what?  Jon Letendre should admonish his own self to speak plainly, I have no idea what he is up to.

I’m done.  Jon can have the last word.

56 minutes ago, Mark said:

Christ, these discussion groups are a thief of time.  In the literal world literal witches do not exist.  Someone calling FDR satanic and an associate a literal witch is either mocking criticism of FDR or – or what?  Jon Letendre should admonish his own self to speak plainly, I have no idea what he is up to.

I’m done.  Jon can have the last word.

I don’t want the last word. I’m sorry this hasn’t gone well. I am not mocking you or FDR criticism.

Witches are real as priests are real, even though satan and god are not. In the literal world priests exist (even though you and I both know priesthood is just a crock of shit to control people.)

Chelsea Clinton recently Tweeted her Happy New Year’s wishes to the Church of Satan, did you catch that news? It’s real. Satan worship is real. Witchcraft is ancient and quite real. Hillary has seances and says she talks with Eleanor.

All of this is real and true, Mark, you can look it up. I’m not saying FDR had three dicks, so you can calm down and stop feeling mocked. I have great respect for your work.

On ‎2‎/‎22‎/‎2018 at 8:47 PM, Mark said:

No question the Nazis were evil but as far as America is concerned Roosevelt was worse.  He maneuvered Japan into attacking Pearl Harbor while he made sure it was inadequately defended, then used it an excuse to get the U.S. into the war in Europe.  That’s what the Hawaiians should never forget.  There is plenty of literature about this.

My high school history teacher in Hawaii, was of Japanese descent and he held the same theory. Many others thought Roosevelt was somewhat negligent and stupid but not a traitor. 

7 minutes ago, Peter said:

My high school history teacher in Hawaii, was of Japanese descent and he held the same theory. Many others thought Roosevelt was somewhat negligent and stupid but not a traitor. 

Roosevelt was Luciferian New World Order like the Bushes, Podestas, John Kerry, Cheney, Clintons, Obama’s, Soros, Rockefeller, etc.

His job was instigate World War chaos in furtherance of world domination.

Bush and Cheney arranged 911 for same reason.

NWO has total control of North Korea. Bill Clinton and Obama armed NK in furtherance of World War III.

They create chaos in order to run in and save everyone who is begging to be controlled in fear from the chaos.

1 hour ago, Jon Letendre said:

Roosevelt was Luciferian New World Order like the Bushes, Podestas, John Kerry, Cheney, Clintons, Obama’s, Soros, Rockefeller, etc.

His job was instigate World War chaos in furtherance of world domination.

Bush and Cheney arranged 911 for same reason.

NWO has total control of North Korea. Bill Clinton and Obama armed NK in furtherance of World War III.

They create chaos in order to run in and save everyone who is begging to be controlled in fear from the chaos.

tumblr_ojdnimQyae1rpduwho1_500.gif

Burp. That beer looks good.

Jon wrote: Bush and Cheney arranged 911 for same reason. end quote

I need proof to think that. Of course, a case can be made for a person in power, “hoping” an incident (like the gulf of Tonkin incident will occur to righteously begin the Vietnam War), but grand conspiracy theories are interesting only if history has shown them to be correct.

I don’t think Bush or Cheney had inclinations for a Progressive world order, though Obama certainly did and he repeatedly said so. Russian mistrust of Old Hickory Clinton, is evidence that she too, wants to supplant the old Soviet Union with world government with the likes of her, in charge. I don’t see any of that in our current fearless leader.

I remember Dubya Bush begin his first term seeking free market decisions, but the establishment, including the Republican party, were against that. I just got a letter and a check $34 from VP Mike Pence to get me to match it, but when I went to the site, it switched over to a site that said, “secure site,” so I did not contribute. Part of the original site’s name had GOP in it. Do you think the GOP has POTUS AND Pence in charge or is “the establishment” still in charge?