Legalization of Opioids would reduce overdose deaths.

GALTGULCH8

An article appeared at the FEE, Foundation For Economic Education website, written by Jeffrey A. Miron who is a senior lecturer at Harvard University Economics Department, entitled: Legalization of Opioids would drastically overdose deaths.

Miron points out that prohibition of opioids restrictions on access force users to the streets where normal quality control does not operate. They may seek heroin but receive fentanyl or fentanyl laced heroin leading to their deaths from suppression of their respirations.

I wonder about the motivation of those who are lacing Heroin with Fentanyl. Drug dealers generally want to keep their customers alive whereas fentanyl assures their demise. Given that last year over sixty thousand involuntary overdoses occurred, more than the number of Americans killed in all the years of the Vietnam War, I wonder if the fentanyl is being given by those associated with the Islamic State who seek death for Americans.

The solution would indeed be to end prohibition of all drugs with legalization of opioids as a priority. 

I intend to develop a resolution to that effect to present at the annual meeting of the Massachusetts Medical Society House of Delegates in the Spring. I would appreciate any sources of material which would help to make the case.

galtgulch8