ESPN, the NFL and Social Justice Warriors

ESPN, the NFL and Social Justice Warriors

It's hard to watch the establishment of a major entertainment field commit suicide, but we are watching it.

And once again, it's the left butting in and spoiling events where people are having a good time. The left spoils everything it infiltrates until there is nothing left but misery (except for insiders). The left, which cannot generate an audience on its own, always hijacks audiences that are already formed. 

Now the fad is to kneel when the National Anthem is played at games. Or not even go onto the field. Sports announcers are increasingly discussing politics--almost always from a leftist view. The next thing we know, there will be a bunch of groups funded by George Soros to covertly stage movements that are supposed to look like grass-roots to change "sports justice awareness" and so on. Hell, there already is for all I know.

And the mainstream media is complicit. For some damn reason, they think that spitting on the NFL audience with social justice grievances is a good idea. Reality will show them that it is not.

And reality is getting a strong nudge from President Trump. (From NYT:)

Trump Calls for Boycott if N.F.L. Doesn’t Crack Down on Anthem Protests

President Trump is pushing back hard. 

The only way social justice warriors will win this cultural putsch is if they petition for a law that will force people to watch sports so they can protest their non-sports grievances. And that ain't gonna happen unless we get another Obama. Why? Because those who have freedom of choice are going to start finding other forms of entertainment when they realize they are being spit on by their entertainers. And the paying public is now realizing this.

Not all the audience will go away, though. Let ESPN, the NFL, etc., play for audiences made up of predominantly social justice warriors (who more and more think football is evil) and, maybe, never-Trumpers and see how advertisers like it--and how ticket sales go.

Get ready for a lot of macho posturing by sports people and, as time goes on, caving. :) 

This is going to be quite a show.

I normally do not like boycotts and similar, but if the left is going to shut down free speech on campuses, take anchors off TV News stations by attacking their sponsors, etc., in order to change cultural narratives, I find it refreshing that our president uses his reach to stand up for the current way of life, especially when the issue is pride in being American.

If nobody defends this, you can be assured that it will die.

btw - For those who know President Trump's history, there's a comeuppance thing going on, too. It started with the United States Football League and the war the NFL waged against it back in the day to squash it. Trump was a huge backer of the USFL and he lost that one. And they called Trump every name in the book and mocked him without mercy. Now guess who's president of the country? 

:evil:  :) 

Once the NFL tanks, as it will if it keeps on keeping on right now, I wonder if a new football league will soon be born... I can see it happening--not with the President's involvement (I seriously doubt his people would invest because of the politics), but by people who suddenly see an opportunity on the free market...

I certainly expect to see new sports channels other than ESPN to arise. 

Michael

"The MLB has one of the few lawfully ratified monopolies left in American sports. While there are multiple professional leagues in other sports, such as football’s National Football League and American Football League, no other rivals the MLB in the professional baseball market. While the monopolistic nature of “America’s Pastime” might seem distinctly un-American, its antitrust exemption was established and has been defended in the United States Supreme Court for nearly a century."

http://blogs.cuit.columbia.edu/culr/2015/05/03/the-monopoly-of-major-league-baseball/

Apparently I am correct about baseball, but not NFL.

1 hour ago, Jon Letendre said:

"The MLB has one of the few lawfully ratified monopolies left in American sports. While there are multiple professional leagues in other sports, such as football’s National Football League and American Football League, no other rivals the MLB in the professional baseball market. While the monopolistic nature of “America’s Pastime” might seem distinctly un-American, its antitrust exemption was established and has been defended in the United States Supreme Court for nearly a century."

http://blogs.cuit.columbia.edu/culr/2015/05/03/the-monopoly-of-major-league-baseball/

Apparently I am correct about baseball, but not NFL.

This is much wrong with that. The NFL and AFL were separate, but they merged around 1970. Also, there have been other professional baseball leagues, even if long ago. The National League and American Association, which later became the American League, were at one time separate. There were also the Federal League 1913-15 and the Negro League.

The purpose of a government-granted monopoly is typically to bar competitors. MLB's antitrust exemption is very different. It says the government will not prosecute an entity that lacks competitors.

I have a great idea.

Since all these millionaire athletes hate America so much because they can't stand entertaining all those damn bigoted oppressive American exploiters, maybe they can get Dennis Rodman to open the market for them in North Korea.

I hear the different sports leagues there are looking for talent.

And over there, they will be able to take a knee all they want without any hassle so long as it is against America.

I wouldn't advise it against DPRK, though. And since the philosophy is collectivist over there, these star atheletes don't really have a need for all that awful money they make in America. They will be provided for with most excellence by their North Korean brothers and sisters.

:)

Michael

A tale of two headlines.

Beginning of game.

Dolphins players lock arms, kneel during anthem and wear shirts supporting Colin Kaepernick

And this, after the game.

How could the tanking New York Jets stun the surging Miami Dolphins?

20 to 6. Not a wipe out, but pretty ugly.

As long as Miami wants to do social justice instead of play football, maybe they should change their name to the Miami Snowflakes.

:evil: 

Michael

They're asking for it.

From The Gateway Pundit:

Not One More Dime: NFL Stadiums Have Collected Over $1.1 Billion in Federal Subsidies – Time to Cut Them Off

From the article:

Varney reminded the FOX and Friends hosts that NFL stadiums have collected over $1 billion in federal subsidies.

Here's the video:

Oh yes...

And there's this (from Deadline Hollywood):

‘Sunday Night Football’ Ratings Down Again On Day Of Player Protests

It starts.

Michael

People who run their mouths tend to attract flies. Keep eyes on the ball and stay focused on an endeavor or a principle.

They display all the attributes of hating and of spoiled children. They forgot or likely never knew what their outrage is about other than theater. The only thing they're likely to change is their playability status not the politics. 

Unlike.

Eric Liddell (the flying scotsman) and Sandy Koufax chose to not play on Sunday. Curt Flood (rule) chose not to be traded and Smith and Carlos stood in silence.

Who of these acted on principle?

Was Sunday a day of rest on principle or a time to devote part of the day to their religion, the other part to their sport? Was Floods choice to sue Baseball not being willing to be traded a principle or irrational rebellion ?

Smith said, "We were just human beings who saw a need to bring attention to the inequality in our country,"  "I don't like the idea of people looking at it as negative. There was nothing but a raised fist in the air and a bowed head, acknowledging the American flag—not symbolizing a hatred for it."

Racism was alive in '68, the year of the DC riots not far from my house. Todays so called racism is fabricated, the reasons given unfound by its recent advocates.

They think they're cool like the Chuck Taylor canvas shoes I wore and out wore.

That didn't take long.

The caving starts.

Ben Roethlisberger Regrets Steelers Boycotting Anthem; Trump Supports Fan Boos
"I was unable to sleep last night and want to share my thoughts and feelings on our team’s decision to remain in the tunnel for the National Anthem yesterday," the Super Bowl-winning QB says.

Dayaamm!

I thought the backstep show would start after a build-up. Not on the day after all the macho shit.

As the poet wisely said, money talks and snowflake-shit walks.

:evil: 

Michael

Since when does standing at your country's anthem mean you support its president and his policies? Regardless of what it means to the kneeler personally, kneeling disrespects the men and women of all color who honorably fought -- some dead and wounded -- to protect the right to free speech. Standing respects them.

- With partial credit to somebody else.

1 hour ago, merjet said:

Since when does standing at your country's anthem mean you support its president and his policies? Regardless of what it means to the kneeler personally, kneeling disrespects the men and women of all color who honorably fought -- some dead and wounded -- to protect the right to free speech. Standing respects them.

- With partial credit to somebody else.

This whole kneeling thing is an example of symbolic protest.  Back a few decades black American athletes  raised their right fist as a symbolic protest.  During the Viet Nam war some protesters turned their back on the flag  when the Pledge was said.  I remember I was so disgusted  with LBJ  no-win policy  (which ultimately cost 60,000 American lives for absolutely no gain) that I would not  sing the Anthem nor salute the flag.   I still curse the names of Johnson and MacNamara. Feh!  Phooey!

Suppose enough NFL players had done the "take a knee" thing while Obama was President, it got big attention, and they did so because of Obama and his policies re Afghanistan, Libya, bailouts, etc.  Would would a lot of people have said about those kneelers? 

18 minutes ago, Michael Stuart Kelly said:

Merlin,

Actually, it only took one NFL player to kneel during the Obama years and the mainstream press went nuts in outrage.

Tim Tebow.

Oh, yeah, I forgot about Tebow. But it was not about Obama and his policies. 

4 hours ago, merjet said:

Oh, yeah, I forgot about Tebow. But it was not about Obama and his policies.

Merlin,

I'd say it was deeper than politics. It was over philosophy.

Whatever your views on Christianity, the kind practiced by Tim Tebow is philosophically and diametrically opposed to everything President Obama stood for. Especially as regards the American way of life.

The mainstream press knew it, too.

And come to think of it, this same philosophical divide is present in the current knee-jerks. ( :) That phrase just popped out as I was writing...) 

I get the feeling that policy and standing up to a bully are smokescreen issues, not fundamental substance. The real attempt is to destroy everything good productive Americans hold dear so the elitist power-mongers can can jigger their power machinations in the background. 

A football audience is not formed to watch social justice protests. But these knee-jerkoffs ( :) there I go again...) can't get their own audience for social justice to save their lives. Everything productive they try on their own turns to crap. So they hijack the audiences of others where they can.

Michael

Here's a practical solution:

Venezuela, N. Korea offer asylum to oppressed NFL players

From the article:

The governments of Venezuela and North Korea came out today offering asylum to those oppressed NFL players who refuse to stand for the National Anthem. 

"We understand how oppressive that song can be and if you accept our offer, you will never have to hear it again," said a joint spokesperson. "We would also invite them to deposit their funds in our banks and invest in our countries. It would be worthwhile." 

The governments also reminded the players that they are still owned by capitalist team owners so we understand their oppression is real.

Meanwhile Nancy Polosi, Charles Schumer and their mascot Maxine Waters have introduced legislation to ban the playing of the Star Spangled Banner at all sporting events. 

A spokesperson for the Democratic party said that the Democrats kneel in solidarity with the players and understand the oppression that the song represents: "We feel that the old Soviet Anthem is more in line with party-approved thought and besides, it has a much catchier tune. Looking at the history of the American Anthem, it was once a bawdy drinking song and is no longer appropriate, considering it was written by a privileged white male."

Maxine Waters added that Trump should be impeached for introducing such an oppressive song.

LOL...

Michael

Well well well...

Scratch a large-scale leftie demonstration and what do you always find?

George Soros money. That's what.

It never fails.

First headline is from Rush Limbaugh and the second is The Washington Times.

Limbaugh:

Soros Behind NFL Protests

Washington Times

NFL players’ union teamed up with Soros to fund leftist advocacy groups

Has anyone noticed that, outside of late-night TV comics, the left cannot generate an audience of its own?

They always need paid people to infiltrate other audiences and spread their poison like cancer cells in a healthy organization. And they always kill the host audience.

When the left tries to look grass-roots, it flops horribly. Does anyone remember Occupy Wall Street? Where are those folks? If you say "Tea Party," you still find plenty of those around. Hell, for all practical purposes, there's one in the White House. That's because the Tea Party movement was truly grass roots and not funded astroturf or funded cancerous audience hijack.

I wonder how long many NFL fans will keep watching once they know they are funding a Marxist overthrow of the American government. 

Michael