Aristotle's wheel paradox

merjet

1 hour ago, merjet said:

Baal, apparently you don't understand Jonathan. All evidence here indicates that his sole purpose in life is to try to ridicule other people. 

I have no idea about anyone's motivations but my own motivations.  I pay attention mostly to observable externalities.  Intentions are hidden securely behind the skull bones.

3 hours ago, Jonathan said:

Specifically, what part of my explanation of the non-existence of a paradox do you think is a "scam"?

Where did I say your explanation of the non-existence of a paradox is a scam? That's so typical. You take what I say, butcher or mangle it, and then portray it as what I said.

On 10/7/2017 at 8:42 PM, Jonathan said:

Yeah, reality that you're too stupid to understand is a "scam."

The reality is that Jonathan is prey to his own self-deluded creation, or too dishonest to admit to his fraud. Remove the rock ledge from his video and the apparent slipping vanishes. Indeed, removing the ledge is not needed to plainly see his scam/con game. Look around the top of the protrusion. There is no apparent slipping. The protrusion and the neighboring part of the wheel move in the non-slip parallel way like real world wheels do. Absent the rock ledge a similar non-slip parallel movement would be seen below the protrusion. The ledge makes a ruse.

If the horizontal movement were faster, the non-slip parallel movement of the region above the protrusion would be proportionately faster. It would not appear to slip more. In contrast, with the ledge the protrusion's motion (below) appears relative to a stationary object. The faster the rolling, the more is the apparent slippage.

His rockwheel video and his isolated video (link) make a scan/con game – a fraud -- to subvert the unobstructed representation of a real world wheel. It's Jonathan trying to butcher the truth. He added other videos to "lessen the distraction." What he actually did was increase the deception. With 'isolated' he eliminated all non-slip parallel motion next to the inner circle.

On 10/6/2017 at 8:30 AM, Jon Letendre said:

Incredibly lost is putting it mildly. Moron. Liar.

If you were grasping accurately what a wheel actually does as it rolls, then you would have zero objections to Jonathan's 100% accurate rock wheel. I happen to find your objections indecipherable, but that's beside the point since there is nothing to object to and "greatly exaggerating the appearance of “slipping.”" Is sufficient to establish that you are still completely and utterly confused.

LOL, moron and 100% duped.

2 hours ago, merjet said:

The reality is that Jonathan is prey to his own self-deluded creation, or too dishonest to admit to his fraud. Remove the rock ledge from his video and the apparent slipping vanishes.

For YOU it vanishes. It doesn't vanish for those of us who are visually/spatially/mechanically capable.

Indeed, removing the ledge is not needed to plainly see his scam/con game. Look around the top of the protrusion. There is no apparent slipping. The protrusion and the neighboring part of the wheel move in the non-slip parallel way like real world wheels do. Absent the rock ledge a similar non-slip parallel movement would be seen below the protrusion.

Yes, there is no slipping of the protrusion compared to the neighboring part of the wheel. We all know that. The protrusion, which represents the smaller circle in the "paradox" set up, moves with the rest of the wheel, which represents the larger circle in the "paradox." The protrusion/small circle does not slip in relation to the rest of the wheel/large circle. It only slips in relation to the upper line in the "paradox" setup.

The ledge makes a ruse.

The ledge is the upper line in the "paradox" setup.

If the horizontal movement were faster, the non-slip parallel movement of the region above the protrusion would be proportionately faster. It would not appear to slip more. In contrast, with the ledge the protrusion's motion (below) appears relative to a stationary object. The faster the rolling, the more is the apparent slippage.

You're describing your own retarded take on how you think things would appear to you. The rest of us don't suffer from your visual ineptitude, so we would not share your misperceptions. Changing the speed at which the wheel rolls doesn't change my tracking of the amount of slippage. It's the same amount of slippage either way.

His rockwheel video and his isolated video (link) make a scan/con game – a fraud -- to subvert the unobstructed representation of a real world wheel. It's Jonathan trying to butcher the truth. He added other videos to "lessen the distraction." What he actually did was increase the deception. With 'isolated' he eliminated all non-slip parallel motion next to the inner circle.

Thanks again for being by far the most stubborn Objecti-tard I've ever met. This thread is a classic study in reality denial. As I've said,  I'll be linking to it from elsewhere many times in the future! You've become a perfect specimen in my collection!

3 hours ago, merjet said:

The ledge makes a ruse.

Merlin, the ledge isn't "a ruse."  It's essential to the supposed paradox set-up.  You do seem to be missing what the purported problem is about.  The question asked is why the 6:00 o'clock position on the small circle or wheel hasn't moved, after one revolution, only the distance of the small circle or wheel's circumference along a horizontal line or imagined road.  Take the line or road out, and the purported problem goes with it.

Ellen

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Ellen Stuttle said:

You do seem to be missing what the purported problem is about.  The question asked is why the 6:00 o'clock position on the small circle or wheel hasn't moved, after one revolution, only the distance of the small circle or wheel's circumference along a horizontal line or imagined road.

I haven't missed it any. My resolution said it clearly.

The cycloids are not relevant for the solution of the paradox, as they are a description of the movement of one point of the wheel in the z-x plane (z = up, x = direction of rail/ledge/road). The paradox is about the interface wheel-rail/ledge/road, however. That is: the points of the wheel and of the rail/ledge/road where they touch each other. The position of these points form a straight line along the rail/ledge/road. When the wheel rotates without slipping on its support, the length of that line is 2πR after one revolution of the wheel with radius R.

With the two concentric wheels (radius R and r, r < R) in the paradox, the length of those lines would after one revolution without slipping be equal to 2πR and 2πr respectively. However, the actual length can only have one value, as those wheels are part of a rigid body, so at most only one wheel can rotate without slipping, for example the larger, outer wheel. The smaller inner wheel then has to travel the same distance 2πR over its support. In the same time interval its proper slip-free rotation distance is only 2πr, which is not enough, so it has also to slip over a distance 2π(R – r) to keep up with the outer wheel. Jonathan’s animation shows this clearly.

Further, I’m reminded of this joke: https://tinyurl.com/y7hly2al

• Like 1

7 hours ago, merjet said:

Here is a real world wheel, you lying, narcissistic retard. Is the green "wheel" in constant rolling contact, or is it slipping/skidding along its road?

14 minutes ago, Jon Letendre said:

Here is a real world wheel, you lying, narcissistic retard. Is the green "wheel" in constant rolling contact, or is it slipping/skidding along its road?

That’s also an excellent video. It demonstrates clearly the solution of the Aristoteles paradox.

25 minutes ago, Jonathan said:

He's never going to grasp it.

Actually, he may eventually get it.

What he will never do is acknowledge ever having failed to grasp it.

1) He'll get it.

2) He will demonstrate he gets it

3) He will insist he never did not get it.

4) He will gaslight us all, insisting that quote after quote of him clearly not getting it for weeks actually don't show him not getting it, but instead only show us failing to understand him, misquoting him, lying about what he meant. It's a powerful personality disorder.

9 minutes ago, Jon Letendre said:

It amazes me that Retard apparently has not taken a few minutes to construct a setup at home and find out with his own hands how wheels roll.

He doesn't trust his own retarded hands. He thinks that they would try to trick him by constructing a ruse. He thinks that testing items in reality is a scam. The only thing he trusts is the sentence that he read in the setup of the "paradox": "The wheels roll without slipping for a full revolution." He is deeply invested in his interpretation of that sentence. It's emotional and religious. He believes it with all of his retarded little heart. 

3 minutes ago, Jon Letendre said:

Actually, he may eventually get it.

What he will never do is acknowledge ever having failed to grasp it.

1) He'll get it.

2) He will demonstrate he gets it

3) He will insist he never did not get it.

4) He will gaslight us all, insisting that quote after quote of him clearly not getting it for weeks actually don't show him not getting it, but instead only show us failing to understand him, misquoting him, lying about what he meant. It's a powerful personality disorder.

Oh, yeah, we're long past his having the integrity to admit to his errors.

4 hours ago, Jon Letendre said:

Thanks, Max.

It amazes me that Retard apparently has not taken a few minutes to construct a setup at home and find out with his own hands how wheels roll.

What an ignorant moron. Even a roll of duct tape makes this blatantly false.

15 minutes ago, merjet said:

Put down the rolls of tape, Retard.

Construct a setup of a wheel and see for yourself.

Find out for yourself so that you can stop looking so fucking dumb and stop writing such stupid stuff.

10 hours ago, Jon Letendre said:

Put down the rolls of tape, Retard.

Construct a setup of a wheel and see for yourself.

Find out for yourself so that you can stop looking so fucking dumb and stop writing such stupid stuff.

LOL, stupid moron and 100% duped.

"It notes interesting things about cycloid-drawing points on a rolling wheel, but does not directly address the alleged equality that the paradox is about" (link).

LOL, stupid.

12 hours ago, merjet said:

With your personal visual incompetence, yes, you can't see the slipping of the inner rim. Others do not share and are not afflicted by your personal limitations. Reality doesn't confirm to your personal inability to comprehend it.

If we were to take a thick new roll of duct tape, set up strings just like in the wheel video that you've been posting and referring to (the one in which you imagined seeing a ledge or shelf which isn't there), and add markings on the strings and on the tape roll's inner rim, much like Jon did with the bike wheel, I believe that you would be retarded enough to still not see the slippage/skidding. Or you would invent a new excuse so as to still not believe reality, such as that the markings block your view of what's really happening, and it's all just an illusion.